Proline 14-Jan-18
Single bevel 14-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 14-Jan-18
MambaHNTR 14-Jan-18
Trial153 14-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 14-Jan-18
Single bevel 15-Jan-18
14-Jan-18
I am getting ready to make some stands capable of being hung and left out all the time. I was going for chain on the platforms and as a tree strap. The tree strap I can handle. But, how do you know how many strands of chain to get cut at the hardware store to fit for the platform support? I assume you are just measuring the length of the steel cables and matching up the length on chain. If that isn't right, let me know please. God Bless

14-Jan-18
Just buy 30 feet of chain. Cut to the length you need for each stand.

14-Jan-18
Bolt cutters will solve your equation.

14-Jan-18
Troy x2........bolt cutters are the best for this work

14-Jan-18
Just make sure your using about 3-4 times the working load for your chain strength and you should be fine. I converted a bunch of stands from straps to chains as they were going to semi permanent...by some good heavy quick links and your good to go.

On a side note I also replaced the cables with chain as well, not a heavy as the tree chain but twice the working load. I had access to cheep rubber dip as well and did that on the chains. Good luck

14-Jan-18
If you are going to leave them out, be sure to watch for rust.

14-Jan-18
If you are going to hang the stands and leave them out permanently, I would be sure and inspect them regularly. I’ve seen chains broken by the tree growth.

14-Jan-18
Put a tree step in the back of the tree to hold the chain so the is a downward angle to where it bolts to the stand. This allows for the tree to grow. It's Also smart at the end of the season to go back with a bunge cord and fold the stand up flat to the trunk of the tree and hold with a bungee. When you let the platform down next fall it will adjust to the growth of the tree because of the downward angle you left in the chain. I wouldn't worry much about tree growth bustin a chain. Most stands are made in China and the cheesey metal, bolts and cables will bust before the chain. I always a ratchet strap at beginning of season even with a chain. I leave the cables to the platform alone for two years and then add another cable for year three. After five years I pitch the stands and hang a new one.

14-Jan-18
I switched all my cables to chain. I made the chain several links longer than would be needed if I wanted to have the platform sit square/level on a straight, non-leaning tree. The longer than "needed" chain allows the platform angle to be adjusted for leaning trees. I bolted the chain to the stand on the upper end and bolted a single chain link to the platform end, and I used a quick link on the appropriate link of the chain to attach to the single link. That concept allows you to level the stand for leaning trees. Just pick the suitable chain link to run the quick connects to and hook the quick connect to the single link. Voila...no more uncomfortable, out of level platforms. Screaming Eagle stands have an option available with turn buckles in the cables for leveling platforms and I always ordered them that way. I'll never again hang and hunt from a stand that can't be leveled.

14-Jan-18
Thank you guys. I did some researching and am leaning towards 1/4" Amsteel blue rope. 7700 lbs of break strength. Between 33-34 times a rope rated for my weight. I plan to use a tear drop, run the rope around it in the channel, splice it back through itself 12" on both ends. That-a-way I can adjust the level of the platform once I get it to the tree. And just replace the ratchet strap every year in stead of a chain. 6 inches work on a hammock whoppie slings so twice that mush should work very well. I'll test it out well before hand. :^)

The reason for this was the amsteel is highly UV resistant. Retains over 40% of its strength after ten years in the sun and weather and, is much quieter. Only reservation I have is will the squirrels chew on it? What do you'll think?

14-Jan-18
Good greif ! I had no idea Screaming eagle tree stands were still being made. I still have two from early 90s still in operation!got em when Paul Brunner and the wensel brothers I think were selling them. really good stands ! They advertised them with a vw bug hanging from one. Love the turn buckles for level and the hanging brackets are great.

14-Jan-18
Amsteel is excellent. I use it on my climbing sticks for my Mobil set ups. Great choice

14-Jan-18
Thanks James. I bought enough to do the climbing sticks for this stand and, the mobile set I'm going to buy as well. Seemed a natural fit for this too. God Bless

15-Jan-18
For you guys that need high quality ratchet straps, check out Shipper's Supply... (I have no connection with this company, I just wanted to share a high quality product with you guys) I've bought several straps from them. They are 100% custom made so you can get what you want and at a decent price, too. I ordered mine with stainless ratchets for an extra $5 so no more rusty ratchets. I gave each ratchet a quick over-spray of primer to dull the shine. They also come in olive color, which I like. Black straps stick out like an eye magnet for stand thieves. I'd also recommend ordering them with the more open-throated S hooks. The standard S hooks are sometimes difficult to hook onto stand tubing. These are really nice, superior quality straps. Very nice people to work with, too. With the stainless upgrade, I paid about $13 each for these. I doubt that there's a better 1" strap on the market. Safety first!

https://www.shipperssupplies.com/1-heavy-duty-ratchet-strap-w-s-hooks Ratchet Breaking Strength — 3,300 lbs Web Breaking Strength — 6,600 lbs Hooks Breaking Strength — 3,300 lbs Assembly Working Load Limit — 1,100 lbs

Quote: "Good grief ! I had no idea Screaming eagle tree stands were still being made. I still have two from early 90s still in operation!got em when Paul Brunner and the wensel brothers I think were selling them. really good stands ! They advertised them with a vw bug hanging from one. Love the turn buckles for level and the hanging brackets are great." end quote.

http://www.screamingeagle.us/TreeStands.html My buddy is still buying Screaming Eagle stands. His garage was broken into and the maggots stole several of his SE stands. He just bought some more a few months ago so SE is still in business. I've always loved the smaller Eaglet version. I don't need a platform that's the size of a dance floor. I like a small stand that can be tucked in between multi-trunks and other cover. Sometimes a big stand just won't fit, where a small stand will fit.

• Sitka Gear