Dikndirt 31-Jan-18
YZF-88 31-Jan-18
Michael 31-Jan-18
wildwilderness 01-Feb-18
26-Jan-18

'Ike''s Link
That time of year...

27-Jan-18
I buy license on even years and use again on odd so I need to wait a few weeks before applying this year.

27-Jan-18
Yup, same here...

27-Jan-18
Done...

27-Jan-18
Wyo then Az. and then Ut. for me as far as order of Appl. goes.....Feb. for me on Ut after the Wyo results come out.

Remember---------->

'Ya Gotta Believe' ! haha

Good luck, Robb

27-Jan-18
I am in.... Wy Done, AZ done..... Utah Done

27-Jan-18
I think I have to buy a license this year, but can't remember and don't keep the license. Anyone know if there is a way to look up when it expires?

27-Jan-18
I like to take my time and put way too much thought into it. I'll do Wyoming this weekend...Az sometime next week and Utah next month. It entertains my brain to overthink all the options.

27-Jan-18
It will tell you if you have a valid license your application no need to look it up. I really like Utah’s application system. Get it all in at one time, and easy to navigate.

27-Jan-18
Did Utah last night last years license was still good did the same in az used my license from last year there too Nevada will be next

27-Jan-18
I didnt think using a AZ license for two years would work?

27-Jan-18
Utah is the only state I know of that had a 365 license to be used for drawing two years.

27-Jan-18
The reason I was hoping you could look it up is if I have to buy one, I will need to wait a few weeks so that it will still be good next year. Guess I can pretend I am applying and if it tries to make me buy one, I will just exit out a wait awhile.

27-Jan-18
txhunter58, Im pretty sure if you need one it will let you know. You can start the application process and see if it tells you that you need one.

27-Jan-18
My Az license is good thru the 13 the day your app must be in

27-Jan-18
+1 Don K (Az. & Ut.)

tx it will tell you if ya need a new licese brothaaa.

Good luck, Robb

27-Jan-18
Utah DWR has an app that makes it very easy to track your license and when it expires. Also makes it easy when managing apps for family members.

27-Jan-18
Thanks YZF. Downloaded it! Says I don't have any licenses :=( Guess I will have to wait a couple of weeks to apply

28-Jan-18
What is the cost to apply in Utah for a bonus point for elk?

28-Jan-18
AZ requires your license to be valid on the last day of the application deadline so be careful trying to get away with not buying a license. From the Qualifications section on page 8 of the 2018 Antelope and Elk Hunt Draw Information book:

“An applicant must possess a license (includ- ing lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw.”

So if your license from last year expires before Feb.13, 2018 you might be able to apply but you’re probably setting yourself up for a big let down. Last year’s deadline was Feb 14 so if you waited until the last day to buy a license you might be good to go.

28-Jan-18
Tilzbow, I couldn't find that in the 2018 Big Game Application Guidebook or under the "What's New" section. But on page 13:

"Be sure to take a look at the date on your license before you apply for any permits or points. As long as your license is valid on the date you submit your application, you don’t have to purchase a new license for the actual hunt."

28-Jan-18
Andrew: “Neubauer” If you apply to Utah go for it all the way. The random tags are you’re most likely way to draw a tag. Max point tags are spinning out of reach for most with point creep.

28-Jan-18

Tilzbow's Link
Sticksender,

My post is in reference to AZ, not UT, and it’s right there on page 8 under the Qualifications section. See the attached link.

28-Jan-18
I called an ask az F&G

28-Jan-18
A license every other year might work in Arizona if you just apply for elk? If you apply for sheep or deer the same year you might not get by without buying a license because of the staggered application deadlines.

28-Jan-18
Finished apps for kid and wife. Not sure what to do for myself. Lots of unknowns at work. Might even change my WY app.

28-Jan-18
This was my year to apply any time in Utah. Next year I will wait till the end. Utah in. AZ in!

28-Jan-18
In for the loto...

28-Jan-18
Yup. I don't bother trying to get 2 years out of my AZ license because I put in for deer and sheep. If you wanted to get the 2nd year for free, you'd have to give up on the 2nd year's sheep/deer draw.

28-Jan-18
My last years license expires on 02/25/2018 Can I apply for the draw without buying another license or what month and date should I buy my license to be able to use it for two years.

28-Jan-18
In for a point only this year. Probably going to draw WY.

28-Jan-18
Kip, as long as you apply this year before 2/25 you don't have to buy a license this year to apply. So you can apply now or any time until then.

I did exactly that last year: applied early because my license was still good. This year I have to purchase a license so I will wait until later in Feb to apply so that my license will still be good to apply next year

28-Jan-18
And all you need is your customer number. If you DO have a license it populates right into your application. Utah that is.

AZ is WAY too important to me to try to hit the license just right. I apply for just about everything there anyway.

28-Jan-18
Utah Draw experts can you confirm this:

When I go to Toprut.com and search draw odds by unit it appears only 12 of 24 Units currently have ANY max point archery elk tags. Of those 12 units there are only 27 max point archery tags throughout the state. 10 of the 12 Units offer only one or two tags. The other Two units offer a total of 16 tags but there are only 27 archery elk tags offered in the max point pool throughout Utah.

Am I reading it correctly?

28-Jan-18
There used to be quite a few more Charlie. SWF stole them.

28-Jan-18
I just look at the big game odds report that UT DNR puts together, makes more sense to me.

28-Jan-18
Oh boy!! I can’t wait to get screwed over by Don Peay and Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW)!!

28-Jan-18
I believe Toprut is still showing 2016 tag numbers for the 2017 draw period/odds. I doubt the 2018 numbers/rac packet info will be available before the app period closes.

28-Jan-18
That is last year’s number but it will likely stay the same or decrease, right? It looks like all in for the state of Utah there are around 75 NR archery elk tags in the draw both max point draw and random?

28-Jan-18
Sounds about right since there are usually never more than about 10 per unit, most much lower than that.

However, if you look at the resident permits, you avg close to 10% NR.

28-Jan-18
Charlie, you know what you're going to do. Wringing your hands isn't going to change your draw odds :) Best of luck to you in the draws my friend.

29-Jan-18
Your year Charlie!

29-Jan-18
Since I have to buy a license, the hardest part is waiting to apply! Want to get it done, and don't want to get busy and forget it, so will put it on the calendar for late Feb!

30-Jan-18

BULELK1's Link
As usual ,I am working with a couple of our bowsite friends on the Utah draw.

Not to name any names but 2 of them have 23 Le Ellk points!!

I have strongly suggest over the years Not to apply as a group but to apply separately as they change the amount of tags issued by weapon of choice most every year AFTER the draw appl period has ended.

So ya never know if say the San Juan-Boulder-Beaver-Pahvant ect. will have 2 bow tags or only 1 tag offering.

'Ya gotta Believe'

Good luck, Robb

PS--see my link for all the points/odds ect--species/weapon of choice .

31-Jan-18

BULELK1's Link
And some Harvest data for ya'll to research thru.....

Interesting for sure

Good luck, Robb

31-Jan-18
Some surprisingly "low" success rates on that harvest data link. I was looking at hunts that typically have 90-100% and wasn't seeing it.

31-Jan-18
With the archery season dates what they are here in Utah it can be a really tough hunt. I am back in the mix after a 5 year wait. I have actually had better luck hunting the general any bull units than I had hunting the LE unit I hunted 6 years ago.

31-Jan-18
+1 on the tough timing. It's such a gamble that they get going the last week of the season. Those can be long and hot days between the morning action and the few minutes at dusk.

31-Jan-18
In 2013 I hunted a general deer unit that is a LE Elk unit. The last week of archery season I seen a number of good bulls. The amount of guys glassing the last few days for the upcoming rifle hunt was high.

One of these years I will draw that tag. You gotta believe

Since this is a year I have to buy a license I will wait and see what Wyoming does.

01-Feb-18
UT is tough for NR archery elk tags. $FW knows to take the tags from the NR quota so as to not get too many locals mad.

• Sitka Gear