Kodiak 03-Feb-18
Daff 04-Feb-18
IdyllwildArcher 04-Feb-18
Fuzzy 05-Feb-18
02-Feb-18

DL's Link
Kind of mind blowing. I’m sure it depends on what it’s eating

02-Feb-18
As a kid I made muskrat jerky. Gave to a man I know. 55 years latter he still hasn’t forgiven me. I see him every 10-15 years and that’s the first thing that comes out of his mouth.

02-Feb-18
Hey Asian country's eat dog

02-Feb-18
I’m sure the dogs aren’t fed what coyotes eat. Probably feed them rice.

02-Feb-18
Everyone talks about how good cougar meat is, how about bear, is this that much different ???

02-Feb-18
I think I would try it, have tried many different things over the years such as Carp not bad if it is prepared right, Bobcat not terrible but not anything close to Mt Lion which is great.

02-Feb-18
I ate muskrat, it was good. Its served in southern restaurants as 'marsh rabbit'. Cougar is like the best damn porkchop you ever ate. Bear is exceptional, like good roast beef if its a young small one. But you couldn't force coyote down my throat with a musket rod.

02-Feb-18
If I end up on death row, I might have to request it for my last meal. Might buy me a few more days! With my luck, though, the prison cook would probably hit one with his car on the way into work. 8>}

02-Feb-18
I have a taxidermist friend that tries everything that comes in the shop. He couldn't swallow coyote.

02-Feb-18
I don't eat cockroaches or peeds either and I kill every one I even suspect is around. I'm sure somewhere in the world someone does. But not me.

02-Feb-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/zaHxYlcjICA

Yotes eat deer,it cant be that bad

02-Feb-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
critters consumed by many cultures would have a tough time being considered by most of us, even if starving. Starving would be the "only" way for most. I've killed & eaten Black Bear (actually excellent) I thought, Caribou, Buffalo, Whitetail, Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope & Wild Hogs & 3 species of Exotic Deer, Water Buffalo. BEST for us was by far the Buffalo with Caribou 2nd, Elk 3rd, Black Bear 4th (yes, over Deer) & I guess the rest about the same. Water Buffalo (a young cow) tasted good but very tough no matter how we prepared. Ended up grinding many steaks, roasts into burger for that reason. I've had Coon (baked) & was greasy but good, Muskrat in a stew but with all the other stuff/seasoning really not much taste. I've been told Mt. Lion tastes like Pork but have no real idea. SHEEP, any kind I've had is "horrible" & I've tried a couple more than one way. NEVER again.

02-Feb-18
I sliced a nice clean piece of meat off a fresh killed coyote and took it home. I put in on a plate in the fridge. a few hours later near supper time, I took it out and smelled it. It stunk! I thought, well its just my subconscious smelling what my mind is telling it to. I put it back in the fridge. Next day, out it comes and same routine, but this time I'm gonna cook it. Heat the pan, some oil and spices and in it goes. In about one minute the kitchen stunk putrid! Under water, then in plastic wrap and into garbage it went.

I've eaten a ton of things that most people what gag on just the thought. But anybody that can eat coyote has one strong stomach!!

02-Feb-18
I’ll eat just about anything, but I just imagine yote would be terrible.

02-Feb-18
Had coyote meat loaf at a wild game supper. Not my favorite. Wouldn't have tried it if I had known what it was

02-Feb-18
While I have never prepared or eaten coyote, I have eaten, woodchuck, muskrat, raccoon, geese, duck, pheasant, deer, mt. lion, bear, elk,turkey, mt goat, big horned sheep, pronghorn, rabbit, squirrel, dove, quail, many fishes, and a few other I have forgotten.

I am a firm believer that all game is editable as long as it is processed and prepared properly. Seems like this cook has found the right recipe.

Just made a large batch of turkey, rice, veg, soup and 10 lbs of goose jerky.

02-Feb-18
A guy I worked and hunted with killed & grilled an armidillo at hunting camp. Only about half of those in attendance gave it a try... not me.

02-Feb-18

02-Feb-18
I've thrown coyotes on a brush pile to see what would eat them. I haven't found anything eats the carcuse . Not even a buzzard will touch it around here. Maggots will work on them it warm weather when flies are around. Must not be to delectable.

02-Feb-18
Paul got and good recipe for mergansers?

02-Feb-18
I ate coyote backstrap one time. Only one I ever skinned that didn't stink. It wasn't bad. I'm not above eating another if I ever get another that doesn't stink. ;)

02-Feb-18
Dog makes a fine meal, it is eaten in many spots throughout the world. Rat nut muskrat is eaten around the world as well. I have tried both and although I would not say I liked the rat, I did like the dog meat. I am a dog lover as well but had to try it. I go to a game dinner every year and a guy makes pulled Beaver(like pulled pork)I cannot get past the smell. Some of the guys say it ain't bad. I always say about any Beaver I eat, if it smells good-Eat it!! Shawn

03-Feb-18
Ain't eating nothing that eats carrion. No way no how !

03-Feb-18
Shawn you took the long way around with that story but eventually got there, good job!

As far as coyote meat, I’ll have to take a pass, but I will acknowledge that it’s mostly a psychological thing. The meat can’t harm me and probably tastes fine. But I’ve spent too much time trapping and handling them and breathing in that overpowering rotten baby diaper piss smell they have. Hard to get past that.

03-Feb-18
My favorite is bear, young bear. Elk, then whitetail in that order. You can't beat pheasant, wild turkey or grouse for fowl. Local father son game feed has a lot of different items from year to year.

A while back I asked a guy who hunts a and fishes, traps, everything that flys crawls or swims-His favorite was beaver backstrap. Another guy who does the same kinda thing said Dall sheep.

My son when he was first hunting with me shot a frog with his bow. I reminded him we eat what we kill. Yep we had frog legs, he said they weren't that bad.

03-Feb-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Shot this possum the other night, it was harassing my cats. Ventilated him with a 17 hmr...ain't no way I'm eating this .

03-Feb-18
Some guys from MI wanted to shoot parka squirrels. Told them they had to save the skins or eat them. We cooked half dozen or so. They are quite good.

03-Feb-18
The whole, "You gotta eat what you kill" is a bunch of horse puckey just trying to make hunters feel bad.

Eat a coyote- WHY? There are no natural predators in our area to control coyotes- EXCEPT FOR HUMANS. I don't feel bad about not eating them.

I used to own a little ranchette next door to a small flock of sheep. One night the coyotes came in and killed one wounding a bunch of others ripping the guts out of a few and leaving them still alive. Heck, the coyotes don't even eat everything they kill.

03-Feb-18
If you haven't tried Axis deer or bacon wrapped Nilgai, you owe it to yourself to try it. Axis deer beats whitetail hands down!! As for elk, I don't kill elk for meat. Coyotes? Why? Too many years working for Judd Cooney to even consider eating a coy.

03-Feb-18
Lewis and Clark travelled with several dogs and regularly ate dog, some preferred it to wildlife. Sort of raising your meat as you go,

03-Feb-18
Lewis and Clark were near starvation, that makes a bit of difference.

03-Feb-18
While I don’t doubt that there is the odd coyote out there that is stomachable I also believe that a lifetime of rolling in feces and urine would taint the meat and the vast majority would taste horrible.

Ever wondered what makes red foxes red?

03-Feb-18
Some guys are pretty particular as to what they hunt. Especially when it comes to beaver... some guys can go a whole lifetime and not acquire the taste for it. Some guys have a natural disposition for just the pelt more so than the taste. Some guys have to hunt a lot harder than others. For many of us- the her-bivore is drawn to us. Either way, I've never had to kill one but personally I sure do have an appreciation for fine beaver...just sayin.

03-Feb-18

03-Feb-18
Charlie: here in KS a dead yote will not last long, will be consumed and picked over by possibly several predators and meat pickers, must not be many where you live.

03-Feb-18
Tonybear......I LOVE frog legs!

03-Feb-18
This season alone I have tried Bobcat & Crow for the first time. Bobcat tasted a lot like pork & Crow like duck. They were both very good. If I ever eat a yote it will be one that I clean / butcher myself that's for sure. For the record I have lived in the south my entire life and have never seen or heard of a "marsh rabbit" being served in a restaurant, but I have not been in every restaurant in the south. I have heard of small cotton tails that live in swamp rabbit habitat called marsh rabbits.

03-Feb-18
Rattlesnake & Coon are good eats around here... but I'm from Alabama :)

03-Feb-18
The pulled beaver is very true, took me awhile but this guy brings it as his dish every year. It just has a funky musky smell and I cannot bring myself to eat it! Shawn

03-Feb-18
All beaver has a funky smell if not properly cleaned...but what the hey,at 2 am on a saturday night out i could deal with a bit of twang..lol

03-Feb-18
We lived in the country when I was growing up. Small farm. A milk cow that we rraised a calf from each year, and always quite a few chickens. We watched the chickens following the cow when she walked though the barnyard, scavenging the kenels of corn that had passed through her system without being digested. Apprently it was one of their favorite treats.

But those chickens were still among the best I've ever eaten.

Frogs, snakes, turtles, crawdads, a few spiders, oysters, groundhogs, coon, as well as the more normal assotment of game. All good. Never ate possum, fox, muskrat or coyote, justbecause I haven't had the opportunity yet, but i'd sure give it a try.

Now buzzard, THAT would be a starvation-only case for me.

I'd have to say my favorite game meat so far has been pronghorn. Never got one of my own, but a buddy gave me a few pounds of his pronghorn burger and it was excellent!

03-Feb-18

04-Feb-18
T-roy I work at a prison I'm not sure coyote isn't a regular menu item there! Having skinned a few of them I don't think i could knowingly eat it! they stink not some of them all of them! I've never seen anything wild eat them even buzzards. I'm not sure but I think the only thing that consumes coyote carcasses is maggots and time.

04-Feb-18
My kids and I have eaten a fair amount of termites. Seared quickly in butter with fresh parsley they're quite good. My kids, when young, would catch the queens and eat them live. I'm so glad we got that on video...

05-Feb-18
I eat a lot of critters most people don't. Bear, bobcat, cougar, groundhog, muskrat, raccoon, crow, starling, suckers, carp, snails, snapping turtle, etc.

I can't stomach coyote or possums.

• Sitka Gear