bear bowman 14-Feb-18
smarba 14-Feb-18
Burly 14-Feb-18
BOX CALL 14-Feb-18
Shawn 14-Feb-18
keepemsharp 14-Feb-18
wyobullshooter 14-Feb-18
14-Feb-18
Do you think old compounds from the 80's were meant to shoot the modern carbons.I've got martin cougar magnums,cougar 11,and PSE magna flite.they won't quiet down for hunting use.trying 400 carbons.I believe they were made for aluminums.

14-Feb-18
See if you can find some old Gordon Graphlex somewhere, bet those will do the trick!

14-Feb-18
If you'd want to spend the time and money, you could get carbons to weigh as much as aluminum with weight tubes etc.

14-Feb-18
I shot Martin Cougar Magnum with Carbon Tech arrows just fine. Same arrows I'm still shooting today.

14-Feb-18
Yep.

14-Feb-18
Hey Smarba,any advice on quieting a cougar mag with the energy cams.I've got string puff,limbsavers,and a bojax x on the cable guard rod.its fast but sounds almost like dryfireing.that's with gt400.

14-Feb-18
If your shooting a .400 spine carbon out of those older bows just add a bunch of point weight. I shoot a modern compound with a .400 spine set at 67#s cut to 27.5"s with 190 up front and it spines fine. Shawn

14-Feb-18
I shot Graphlex 18-8 with a 125 grain broadhead, 29", about 600 grains, don't remember being noisy. I still use the Graphlex in recurves but they are hard to find.

14-Feb-18
Carbon arrows won’t be an issue. However, the weight of the carbon arrows may. As bear bowman points out, make sure your carbon’s weight is close to an equivalent aluminum.

Does your bow have fast flight strings and cables, or Dacron strings with braided wire cables and teardrops? The old cables and teardrops were an explosion waiting to happen with heavy aluminum arrows, let alone lighter carbons. I have a few scars to prove it ! ;-)

• Sitka Gear