How about water holes?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Scar Finga 13-Mar-18
StickFlicker 13-Mar-18
13-Mar-18
So AZ is talking about banning the use of trail cams at water holes. How about banning tree stands and ground blinds at water holes as well? Say within 300 feet?

The number of people that set up and leave ground blinds or treestands on water holes and never hunt them is ridiculous! In a couple areas I hunt it is very common to see blinds and treestands just sit for weeks with no visible action. They are typically set up by a few Outfitters I know of weeks before the season, and stay up all season long.

Just to be clear, I don't hunt waterholes, so it doesn't really matter to me, I am just amazed that people do it... If anything I look for the travel routes to the water holes and set up off those. Typically I like to be about 300-400 yards from a water hole. Manly because I feel the animals aren't as cautious/ nervous while walking to a water hole versus being at the water hole...

What are your thoughts and experiences?

13-Mar-18
I would guess that some of that will go away if the trail camera rule is enacted. I think they probably place blinds/stands at each place they feel they are likely to find a big animal. If one shows up on camera, they hunt there. If not, they don't.

I would hate to see it so that we couldn't hunt water. I really enjoy photographing and taking video of the various wildlife that come into the water while waiting for my target animal. Sitting a trail, salt etc. just could not replace the enjoyment of seeing all of the other species and antics that animals do while at water.

• Sitka Gear