Contributors to this thread:
KyleSS 20-Mar-18
KyleSS 23-Mar-18
Timbrhuntr 23-Mar-18
ben yehuda 23-Mar-18
ben h 23-Mar-18
kellyharris 24-Mar-18
20-Mar-18
First off, this has a firearm in it but it is not about firearms; it is about our right to protect ourselves. Close to a month ago a good friend of my was faced with an unfortunate situation of having intruders on his property and has now been officially charged. He is a good family man, a kind person that goes out of his way to help people, not find trouble.

He is the Story: http://calgarysun.com/news/crime/rcmp-charge-okotoks-homeowner-and-alleged-intruder-after-shots-fired-during-confrontation

The local & rural community is standing with this young family and supporting them as they go through this difficult time. At his first court appearance it was estimated that between 100-200 individuals rallied outside the court house to show their support. https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/man-charged-with-firing-shots-at-alleged-intruders-appears-in-okotoks-court-1.3835977

I have setup a FundRazr site to help support them financially through this time. We started with GOFUNDME but after 24 hours GOFUNDME shut it down because they felt we violated their terms and conditions. Here is a direct quote from their website showing their terms and conditions that they felt we violated.

"campaigns deemed by GoFundMe, in its sole discretion, to be in support of, or for the legal defense of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, or serious disabilities or diseases;"

If you could take a minute to share the FundRazr link I would be very much appreciated. It is anyone's guess how long and how much money this will take for this young family to fight this. What really bothers me is that he wasn't looking for trouble, the trouble showed up on his property and now their lives are forever changed.

https://fundrazr.com/b1KjM0?ref=ab_87ALDc

Thank you for taking the time to read this. We greatly appreciate any shares and all donations.

God Bless you all.

Regards,

Kyle Sinclair-Smith

23-Mar-18
Here is a summary of what we deal with

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/canadian-self-defense-law-three-things-you-absolutely-must-know/#axzz5Ab35iA1w

Basically, you defend yourself, you get charged, you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in court proving your innocence and then you may or may not win

23-Mar-18
The issue is with your legislators ha ha and way too funny read sarcasm

23-Mar-18
This is a tough situation, and I am glad the community supports this guy. I have good friends that live in Okotoks, and have been there several times.

Any time force is used to protect or defend property (as opposed to protecting life) the one using the force runs the risk of legal trouble, at least when he lives in a place like Canada (or California, for that matter).

It is an issue that needs to be taken up with the Provincial government (too bad its the NDP). When laws do not protect the law abiding citizens it is time to compel the government to create better laws.

I sincerely hope Alberta has a better chance of improving than my state does.

23-Mar-18
When I got my concealed carry permit, our instructor said something to the effect that, as soon as you pull your gun, justified or not, there's a good chance legal trouble will follow, so make sure it's worth it. If you pull it and fire it, legal trouble is almost certain to follow, and if you kill someone, justified or not, you WILL have legal consequences (ask George Zimmerman).

24-Mar-18
Thank goodness Ohio has a Castle Doctrine Law.

No need to retreat, no need to feel threatened in an intruder is (inside) your home you have the right to defend your property just like your life.

The catch is they have to be (inside) your home and this does not interpret inside an attached garage.

• Sitka Gear