flyingbrass 24-Mar-18
MeanMachine 24-Mar-18
Dyjack 24-Mar-18
leftee 25-Mar-18
Huntcell 25-Mar-18
Knothead 25-Mar-18
HDE 25-Mar-18
24-Mar-18
The deadline to apply for New Mexico Elk tags was this Wednesday, March 21 at 5oclock Mt time. After a recent family health Issue, surgery, hospital I more or less let the deadline catch me, My fault. Around noon that day my wife reminded me that I needed to apply. So I called Cabelas tags, asked if they could handle the App for me since I was still in there system, ok so far. The next day My wife noticed that the fees were already on our credit card, ok so far. On Friday the 23rd I got a call from the Cabelas agent that the New Mexico Game and Fish Departments system had overloaded, crashed on the afternoon of the 21st, and they were unable to submit my application, when I asked what the game dept. was going to do I was told they said its just one of those things and I was not in the draw. When I asked why no one, from Cabelas called me back on the afternoon of the 21st so I could address the problem I was told they were just to busy .( but had time to charge my credit card, I guess) So I thought I would call the New Mexico Game and Fish and see if there was going to be any thing done about there system failing. After calling I explained the problem to Niyah Montoya With the Dept. I was then told the system was not down, and there were no problems with it . I again asked if he was sure there was no loss of there system and was told things went very smoothly. So I called Cabelas back again and talked to one of the girls that did the apps to N.M. and she told me the system was down all afternoon. So we have two versions of what happened. This girl also told me they were to busy to call me back. So this story will continue next week. Now if any of you guys used Cabelas Tag service to apply in N.M. I would sure check and see if your in the draw. Previously I used Cabela's Tags service to apply in Colorado for Sheep , and they sent the wrong app fees, again I missed the draw. Another time these professionals Missed the Elk draw when they did not send the apps in before the deadline, again missing the draw. Well that's enough for me, I wonder if Real Tree, Primos, or Shockey ever had these problems ! Now if the New Mexico system went down as I was told why would Cabelas Tags service not immediately contact the applicant, or the New Mexico Game and Fish Dept , someone with knowledge of this procedure must be in charge at Cabelas Tags. More next week.

24-Mar-18
cabelas sold tags a couple years ago and it is owned by Worldwide Trophy Adventures. I have used them for years and have had one major issue in 15 years and a couple of small ones. otherwise things have went well and every place they have sent me has been a slam dunk.

24-Mar-18
also the issues i had they made it right each time. good luck.

24-Mar-18
Why would you keep using the service if they keep screwing you over time and time again? Why not take an hour every night for a week and do all the apps yourself?

Bummer that you missed the NM draw, but really this is beyond a First World problem.

24-Mar-18
They missed the deadline for a whole bunch of people several years ago in Arizona. They convinced the AZ Game and Fish to hold a special meeting so they could plead their case, but the G&F told them - too bad so sad. All those applicants were out of luck, and in Arizona, it costs you your loyalty point to miss a deadline like that. So, all the hunters lost two bonus points (loyalty plus that year's bonus point) in addition to not being in the drawing.

24-Mar-18
I don't understand why people use app services anyways. These applications take 5-10 minutes. Are you really that busy? Did you watch TV this month?

And if you don't know where to put in because you can't be bothered to do a little research, then is hunting out of state really that important to you? It's important to me. That's why I devote countless hours to it.

But I could still manage to figure it out with minimal time. Hell...you can take 15 minutes online for free and either look at where the best success rates and lowest draw odds are or just look online. It's not the best method, but it's better than letting some teenager control your hunting fate. Even on Bowsite, there's a number of people you could PM and say, "these are my points, these are my goals, I'm going DIY or guided, this is my experience. Where should I put in?" And you'll get some incredible advice.

I'm sorry for brow beating you so much, but this is ridiculous. If this is important to you, take the bull by the horns and handle it. If your kid fell out of your boat, would you call the Coast Gaurd? Or would you jump in the water, grab your child, and haul them back to the boat?

If you want something done right and right now, you do it yourself.

24-Mar-18
+1 Iddy

I do my own every state I apply in-----> every year

#LovinLife

Robb

24-Mar-18
Yep, I trust no one when it's app time except for myself.

24-Mar-18
+2 Idyliwild! My old man's top sermon: "If you want the job done right, do it yourself." (Except for brain surgery, I suppose. :) )

24-Mar-18
No kidding Ike. I prefer to control my own destiny. If you don’t research tags you probably don’t know how to put them to good use. I’ll never opt for a self driving car. I’ll keep my own hands on the wheel thanks. If I wreck I’d rather it was my own fault!

24-Mar-18
I wouldn’t trust them. Do it yourself and don’t wait until the last afternoon because stuff happens at the last minute.

24-Mar-18

Let the buyer beware

24-Mar-18
I do it myself but I only hunt my home state of Colorado. If I were to hunt other states, I would still do it myself. I enjoy doing the research and planing the hunt, and putting in the app myself. As far as using a service to put in for you, I would guess you have to pay them screw it up for you also? Why use Cahella's, just do it yourself?

24-Mar-18
I wouldn't trust anything important to me to some 20- something girls in Sidney Nebraska.

24-Mar-18
Wish more people would use those services. Helps the draw odds for the rest of us! ;-)

24-Mar-18
I don't understand why people use app services anyways. These applications take 5-10 minutes. Are you really that busy? Did you watch TV this month?

I dont change my own oil or mow my own grass either I am sure you dont understand why someone would do that either.

24-Mar-18
It takes more than 10 minutes to mow lawn or change oil.

24-Mar-18
I created an account for my wife, and applied her, 1 hour before the deadline (license time stamp 04:00) and the system ran smooth as butter. It took all of 15 minutes for the entire thing.

Worth mentioning, the op is not in the NM draw nor will he be. The best he can hope for is a refund of the fees he paid to Cabelas. Not much consolation and certainly not a position to be in when it's avoidable.

24-Mar-18
Master Guide, If the intent of this thread was to simply share your negative experience with the rest of us, thank you for the heads up. As stated by several others, I also do my own tags, so the buck stops with me if there is a mistake.....and this year, there was. I got a call from LaTeisha at the Santa Fe branch of the NMDFG earlier this week, advising me that my application had been flagged for a keystroke entry error on my part. Within 30 seconds, she corrected it for me, and informed me that it would NOT affect my entry into the 2018 draw....I would still be in the draw. If I thanked that woman once, I thanked her three times.......and if I am lucky enough to draw a 2018 elk tag, when I drive out there this Fall to hunt, I will actually stop in Santa Fe on my way through, and offer to buy her lunch on that day. If that call had gone through a TAGS system, I doubt that I would have had a similar outcome. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just illustrating the advantage of somehow finding the time to do the apps yourself, and not trusting a third party. On a positive note, I'll bet the decisions that you make going forward, will prevent this years events from ever happening again.

24-Mar-18
To everyone asking why use a service like TAGS? One reason...this might be the only way some guys can apply, if they can't afford the high up-front fees in a state like NM. If my understanding is correct, for a service charge, they "float" you the fees, meaning you only pay the full cost if you draw the license.

24-Mar-18
I feel bad for your situation master guide. I know how much I love bowhunting and to not at least have a chance would suck. Have I made a mistake on an app? Yes. (When I first applied in CO) Cost me a point, which cost me several years due to point creep.

Other lessons I have learned. DO NOT WAIT until the last day to apply. If you know where you want to apply, apply at least a week ahead of time. Crap happens. Every procrastinator is applying and there is a chance that server can get bogged down. (Not hunting, but this happened for Boston marathon registration in 2011. Server was overloaded and by the end of day, registration was closed. I know because I got in and many folks I know waited until after work day and they were shut out.)

Develop a application nest egg to float the upfront fees. I have an account that I use for this purpose. (I know it can be hard, especially for younger folks starting out) But it beats where you are sitting today.

Good luck in future draws! Unfortunately, I think you are SOL in NM for 2018.

24-Mar-18
That sucks. When you pay for service you should expect what your paying for. Sorry to hear. I did my NM app the day before the deadline, and other then MY Amex screaming pain when at charge it was uneventful.

24-Mar-18
I think Cabela's Tags Service fibbed to you about website issues. I decided to apply for my wife on the last day at the last minute & everything went really smooth! After your negative experiences with them, why did you trust them again? Good Luck

24-Mar-18
In 2008 I drew my unit 1 AZ elk tag. I heard that Cabelas didn’t get all their AZ elk applications in on time that year. IDK if that made a difference in me drawing that year or not. I’ve done all my own applications for the last 24 years. That way I know they are done. Even with that shit happens. Last year my wife didn’t get a Deer pp in CO cause the letter got lost in the mail. I should have done it electronically

24-Mar-18
I would never trust anyone with my applications...like others have said here. Imagine some gal entering in 40 or 50 different people in a day?! maybe more...guaranteed to be screw ups. If it’s important to you do it yourself...it doesn’t take much time.

24-Mar-18
Sorry to hear about that master guide. I don't know what happened at Cabela's Tags but putting in for NM is about as easy a draw app as there is. Sure don't ever hear anything good about Cabela's anymore.

24-Mar-18
Master Guide,Thank you the information. W/O people like you sharing your experiences I would have had no idea that there were problems. Please keep sharing.

24-Mar-18
HF screwed me 3 times. I'm a slow learner. I do my own now. They cost me a AZ elk point and screwed me twice in WY on ELK.

24-Mar-18
A user ID handle of "master guide", yet waits until deadline, and uses a service to do a 5-10 minute online application?

24-Mar-18
George is a well-known guide and booking agent and is probably applying for every tag in the West. It would make sense to farm the app process out to a service, but the problems with TAGS have occurred year after year. Seems like there must be a more reliable outfit.

24-Mar-18
you can't pay a service to care about your hunting as much as you care about it, if the world worked like that you could just buy a wife.

24-Mar-18
What is the advantage of using a service besides saving your time? What other benefits do they provide? As for me I will do all my own applications. So sorry about what happened to your application MG.

24-Mar-18
Sounds like someones trying to up their NR odds at Cabela's.

25-Mar-18
Sorry for the problem MG.Thanks for the heads up. Good hunting!

25-Mar-18
“if the world worked like that you could just buy a wife.”

I have been on the monthly installment plan for quite awhile! So far, so good!!!!

25-Mar-18
In perfect world I would rather rent a wife than buy one.

I have messed up 3 applications on my own over the years so I really don't need help.

25-Mar-18
Pretty sure an applying agent has no advantage over anyone else in increasing your chances.

I get it being busy (with work) and putting your app in, but we all do it. I've learned over the years to have very little faith in people when you depend on them to make something happen for you.

• Sitka Gear