smarba 04-May-18
Mark Watkins 04-May-18
smarba 04-May-18
mrelite 04-May-18
'Ike' (Phone) 04-May-18
mscomm 05-May-18
03-May-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Coming out this Summer, looks interesting...

03-May-18
I'm not buying another one just because it's smaller!

03-May-18
Pretty cool!

03-May-18
Ha! Me either.

03-May-18
I bought a Delorme inReach Explorer from Cableas today for 199.00. New on clearance. Don't think it is worth the 150 more for the smaller size. I just need it for texting so my wife will let me go hunting out west on my own where there is no cell signal.

03-May-18
That is not the way I thought they would go...

03-May-18
Me either. I thought they would incorporate the texting communication into a higher end full feature GPS.

03-May-18
That'll probably be next for more $.

03-May-18
Looks like it is about the size of my original one that I still use.

03-May-18
Only way I would buy that sucker is if they improved the texting capability on the device it self.

03-May-18
Only way I would buy that sucker is if they improved the texting capability on the device it self.

03-May-18
I lost my Spot last fall and the contract price is over $200 Cdn now. I’ve been looking at the other offers from Garmin and I think this new device is it. I don’t need or want mapping since it will be paired with an IPhone which has Gaia anyway. And I have a gps with good maps already. I only want simple two way communication.

And I still carry a good old compass :)

03-May-18
Rod, You can have my SPOT for $00.00. However I'd buy the new Garmin Mini InReach if I did not already have last years model InReach. Let me know if you want me to bring the SPOT. Kurt

03-May-18
I have the Inteach Explorer and really like it. I wish they would add a few things like a two way radio similar to a Rhino. If they had that with all the InReach features and added sd cards. Now that would be fantastic

04-May-18
The mini is half the weigh (3.5 versus 7.5 oz) but has half the battery life too (50 hrs versus 100 hrs). Also, it’s screen looks to be useless as a GPS, as others noted.

When I used the older model last year I used my phone as my primary GPS and the InReach as backup. The mini would be a poor choice as a backup GPS.

04-May-18
"Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds"

Does this mean you must have another Garmin device to send and receive messages?

04-May-18
Looks like a slightly smaller version of the original Delorme Inreach. Screen all but worthless as a GPS.

04-May-18
The battery consideration is big for extended (6+ days) mountain hunts. If I manage my standard In Reach properly I can get a full 10 days out of it....which is HUGE.

Mark

04-May-18
My Delorme Inreach I only turn on 2-4x/day to send/check messages. It will last for weeks easy in that manner.

04-May-18
So if you just turn the mini Inreach on for an hour a day you could feasibly be out in the field for 40 to 45 days, I don't really see any issue with the battery life if it isn't used as a GPS.

04-May-18
Being that I don’t have one, I’ll probably look hard at it...

05-May-18

mscomm's Link
There is also some more advanced dataplans and services for InReach available with a dedicated real email-address, SmartSafety, automatic deadman switch and more. https://www.protegear.de/english/

• Sitka Gear