Rut Nut 17-May-18
Treeline 17-May-18
Rut Nut 17-May-18
oldgoat 05-Oct-19
APauls 05-Oct-19
07-May-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
So apparently farmer sausage is a very much Manitoba thing. It is a pork sausage but lends itself well to wild meat. It always puzzles me that it doesn't seem to be everywhere as all you ever here from people is that when they come to MB they load up on farmer sausage to take home. Anyways, I did a batch of moose farmer sausage - and this was my first time ever making sausage. I am very surprised how easy it is to make, and my goodness is it delicious. For those of you that have tried farmer sausage what do you think? I'll post the recipe I used. As for what I would do different, this time I was in a rush (as usual) so I just pulled some ground from the freezer. Next time I would use a very course grind.

07-May-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I just converted the recipe I found to a % of the meat so that it is easy for me to use in the future if I liked it. I like it, so here is what I used: 1.6% salt, 0.3% black pepper, and 0.5% brown sugar. So just take your mass of meat, and multiply the mass x the % for your mass of spices.

07-May-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
From what I read you want to pretty much cold smoke it so I hit it with the smoke for 1:15 at 100 degrees. Comes out still feeling raw, but beads up with fat already which helps it take the smoke from what I understand. My sausage tasted a touch smoky for my liking, but that was fresh out of the smoker before it has had a chance to even out. Even so it is really good. Most people aim for 50/50 venison/pork. The pork is just meat including fat not pure pork fat.

Give it a try, it's a delicious sausage.

07-May-18
Sorry image tools don't seem to allow rotation of the second picture. I know others have issues with this as well. Anyways, it's a delicious sausage to use in place of a hot dog as well or just roasted over a fire. Brings me back to growing up going rifle hunting with my dad and we'd roast farmer sausage on a fire at mid day on a nice day deer hunting. Good times.

07-May-18
I thought it was made from ground up farmers :>)

07-May-18
So after the cold smoke you then boil it, grill it, ....??? Sounds good

07-May-18
I guess I'm % challenged, can you use a standard measuring amount for the spices, I understand % when it comes to the meat proportions, like 10% pork to 90% moose etc, just not sure how to convert the spices. If somebody smarter than me could figure it out to how many tablespoons and cups etc per pound of sausage, that would be sweet. If I draw a moose tag, I'd love to make some sausage!

07-May-18
I was still trying to figure out how he got those links to hang sideways let alone how to figure the % of spices...

07-May-18
Ha ha, I knew it was you before I opened it! I think the brown sugar is what makes it unique. A nice simple sausage.

07-May-18
Lol stoneman it’s windy here!!!

Ex would be 1.6oz salt per 100oz meat, and 0.3oz pepper and 1/2oz brown sugar for every 100oz meat. I just use a kitchen scale.

Grubby am I getting that predictable? Not good - if I was being hunted I guess you’d have me patterned ha ha!

08-May-18
An hr & 15 at 100 degrees, it definitely comes out undercooked. How are you finishing cooking? Most cold smoke recipes like that will have some pink salt in the mix.

08-May-18
Well I only knew of 2 tobans on here that shot moose last year...... it wasn't hard to deduce. I might try a batch next year. I have a pretty good ring bologna recipe. We make quite a bit of that every year. Its nice to have something quick and easy. Last summer I got some farmer sausage from a food truck at home depot in Winnipeg. I cant remember the name of the meat market but it was real good.

08-May-18
“Tobans”. Hadn’t heard that term before! Not even from the McKenzie brothers, eh hoser?!

Looks delicious, Adam. Cute little quality control/taste tester on the staff, too!

08-May-18
Thanks t-roy ya she’s my helper helps me with everything. She loved it as well.

Yes Tooth it is a raw sausage that still requires cooking. We love it on the BBQ or fire. Also makes a great and different burger patty when split in half.

Around Lake of the Woods in Ontario they always talk about the ‘tobans lol.

08-May-18
It generally isn't a term of endearment..... LOL

08-May-18
Go Jets Go!....I'm sure the Wild are perfecting their farmer sausage technique, being out of the playoffs.

08-May-18
I think they are golfing I'm seriously disappointed I stayed up to watch last nights effort.

09-May-18
Make my own sausage from game meat as well. Grew up with a bunch of Germans so we made a lot of variety. Usually a lot more spices - particularly red pepper and garlic. My favorite is smoked dried sausage. You want curing salt and smoke it longer over low heat like jerky. Some I just smoke for a few hours and finish on the grill and dry some of the other. Awesome stuff and better than you can get at the grocery store.

11-May-18
Treeline, I make that at times, grind 10% bacon scraps with venison, add curing salt and brown sugar, cold smoke ,then bump the heat to cook to 160 F, then dehydrate

17-May-18
Never heard of Farmer Sausage. Farmer cheese? Yes. Farmer sausage? No. Guess it's like Maple Bacon?

Planning to make a big batch of smoked Polish sausage and snack sticks this weekend.

When I make the snack sticks I get the internal temp to 160 then take it off the smoker to cool- consistency comes out like ring bologna. I've always wanted to try making the DRIED snack sticks(like slim jims). How long do you keep them on the smoker to dry them out Treeline?

17-May-18
It depends on where I’m doing it. Up in the mountains of Colorado where it’s dry maybe 4 hours at 185. In Texas with more humidity and a different kind of smoker (home made pipes welded up) I’ll start it in the afternoon and it’s usually done the next morning. All depends on how dry you want it.

17-May-18
OK thanks. Sat. it's supposed to be very humid here in PA, so I'm thinking 10-12 hrs maybe? Will start it in the morning and hopefully will be done before bedtime! ;-)

Thanks for the info!

05-Oct-19
All right, I shot a moose this year, going to give this a go!

05-Oct-19
Congrats on the moose!!! Hope you like it I’ve had nothing but great reviews

• Sitka Gear