PapaSmurf 17-Jun-18
Jims 17-Jun-18
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 17-Jun-18
Jims 17-Jun-18
Jims 17-Jun-18
Cocoon Man 18-Jun-18
16-Jun-18
Anybody using a tick spray that is working? Name please, thanks!!

16-Jun-18
Permethrin! Worked for my sine 1980.

16-Jun-18
How about a brand name ??

16-Jun-18
Sawyers

16-Jun-18
There’s a 2mi long archery range up in the hills between Cheyenne and Laramie that’s lousy with ticks. I decided to try Sawyer’s Permethrin after seeing all the positive posts. The first time I went, I found zero ticks. This past Thursday, I found 2 on my lower pant leg, and one on my water bottle holder. The 2 on my pants appeared sluggish, and the one on the holder was dead. It may not keep them all off, but the one’s that decide to go for a ride probably wish they hadn’t.

16-Jun-18
X2 Sawyers and if hunting in under brush some deet on the back of your neck.

16-Jun-18
Is Sawyers a treatment that you treat your clothes with ? Do they make spray that you just spray on right before you go into the woods ??

16-Jun-18
I spray my clothes and the repellent is supposed to remain effective for multiple washings.

16-Jun-18
Ok cool... I’m going up north next weekend to tinker around moving treestands and such.... we don’t have laundry facilities there....... Sometimes I wear a paper painters suit and duct tape my pants and sleeves while working this time of year....and spray down with bug spray.... I look stupid but man do I hate getting ticks on me....

16-Jun-18
I buy mine in a concentrated quart bottle from the local ag store. I mix according to directions, pour in 5 gal. bucket and soak my clothes. Hand ring and hang to dry. You can buy Sawyer’s at the local Wally World in a aerosol can. May take 2 or 3 cans to soak thoroughly.

16-Jun-18
Sawyers permethrin works, period.

It’s for pretreating clothes but I honestly just spray my pant legs and boots down when heading out from the truck and it’s good for a few days. I don’t need it anymore up north but I never hit the woods without it down south!

16-Jun-18
Sawyers works, but premethin is not.meant to get on your ski

16-Jun-18
Permethrin works well. You can buy it and mix it yourself or get the premixed stuff, either way, it should work for you.

16-Jun-18
Just got back from Canada Bear hunt. Used Permethrin on clothes did not see a tick, mosquitos a non issue!!! dont kill opposums as the eat thousands of ticks per year.

16-Jun-18
In an area infested with the little SOBs you can also wrap duct tape around your pant cuffs to prevent them from, "coming in from the basement".

16-Jun-18
I too use sawyers permethrin. Stuff works great especially during spring turkey.

Ive had ticks get on me even after spraying my clothes but theyve been dead the couple times ive found them on my skin.

16-Jun-18
Repel, blue top can at Wally World. Seems to be the same as Sawyers from what I can tell

16-Jun-18
Repel. I get it at Wal Mart and pre-treat my clothes a couple days before wading into tick country. Works great.

17-Jun-18
Ya, Uncle Sams Camping sells Permethrin in an aerosol made by Coleman. Doesn’t really matter what you get or where, is it is labeled Permethrin as the active ingredient, you are golden. Just make absolute sure that you follow the instructions in the can.

17-Jun-18
It's great you guys are concerned and staying pro-active about ticks! I went gobbler hunting in S Dakota a few weeks ago and had them literally crawling all over me for 5 days. I'm still fighting some sort of tick fever that I picked up. It hasn't been any fun feeling super weak, drowsy, hot flashes, and head spinning! You can bet I'll be using permethrin on my next trip! Do yourself a favor and use it!

17-Jun-18
Jims, are you sure it’s tick fever...or menopause? ;-)

17-Jun-18

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
I think I’m ready....4 cans of Sawyers.

17-Jun-18
wyobullshooter….may be both?

17-Jun-18

18-Jun-18
Papa smurf is right .5 % permethrin is the ticket no matter the brand. I prefer the trigger spray or a batch mixed up in a garden sprayer vs an aerosol they have a coarser spray, less wind drift. No matter which way or lack of wind aerosol always seems to drift back on me.

For clothing items that I use a lot I have sent my clothing to Insect Shield to be treated good for 70 washings the effective life of the garment (certified by the EPA). For around $8.00 a garment over the long run its cheap and a lot less hassle than spraying and keeping track of when I sprayed and how many times I have washed an item. The company is in North Carolina and does the uniforms for the US military. I have some items that are at least 7 years old that work as good as the first day I used them.

Immersion or having an item treated by Insect Shield has the added benefit of both the outside and inside of the garment being effective if a tick crawls up your pant leg etc. Of course you can always spray both the outside and inside of your clothing. I usually tuck my pants in my treated socks and wear debris gaiters that have been sprayed.

• Sitka Gear