Glunt@work 21-Jun-18
jjs 21-Jun-18
Glunt@work 21-Jun-18
Bou'bound 21-Jun-18
Shawn 21-Jun-18
20-Jun-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
I have enjoyed 64 deer seasons and been quite fortunate. I have seen a lot of changes, some good, some bad. I have seen big game biology go from SWAG to way over-thought. I am old, opinionated and quite honestly tired. I have had a fortunate life. I have hunted all across the U.S. Mexico and Canada. I have never harvested an animal. I have killed several and that is just an estimate. And, a few of them would qualify for various record keeping books, should I choose to have them entered. But I was thinking yesterday, as I sat in the front of my boat, trying to fool a bass. I watched a doe, one that had recently dropped a fawn, wade out and start eating weeds in the edge of the water, maybe I was done. I no longer have a need to scout. Where I hunt, the deer do the same thing every year. My stands are in place. Mostly it is a matter of climbing up, sitting still, shooting. Then it becomes work. I don't need to kill another deer. I am not going to starve. I have friends who will bring one or two and I can afford to buy meat...or at least, my wife can. I may be through. I have three very good cameras and some good glass on them. I am still writing and selling about as much as I care to and I always need good pictures. So, I was thinking yesterday, as I shot a blue heron, just taking flight. My next bow might be a Nikon and I may just convert all my stands to ground blinds. I now, hate to travel and quite honestly, have nowhere I want to go. So, I might just be done. Maybe I'll run for County Commission...or something

20-Jun-18
Nice picture!

20-Jun-18
How old are you, John?

20-Jun-18
When it’s no longer fun why bother doing it that goes for anything ..........

doing something out of habit or muscle memory without getting any satisfaction from it would be kind of senseless

20-Jun-18
Please keep writing.

20-Jun-18
Relative to all the nonsense we get involved in, there is very little in this life we HAVE to do.

20-Jun-18
Very reasonable thought sir. I feel that way for duck hunting. Used to be my passion. I think u should run for County Commissioner

20-Jun-18
My pop (now 82) has your attitude. Been hunting for 65 years and still hunts/fishes but doesn't worry about if he gets anything. He claims to be an 'almost' vegetarian but has a freezer full of deer and fish. We have hunted out west together for the past 25 years and I think he still enjoys that part the most.

Interesting that he stopped taking pictures almost 20 years ago. Found that he was spending so much time framing the perfect picture that he was missing the big picture.

20-Jun-18
Thankfully This is not a professional sport where you have to hold a press conference to retire after being a perennial all-star for your career. You are not in a good place. You are in a great place. Now you can rest on your laurels without any pressure to feel you have to do anything. If you want to hunt - hunt. If you don’t - don’t. Photography is the ultimate catch and release. Seems like u never got caught up in scores or numbers which makes your state of mind all the more comfortable. Relax and enjoy!

20-Jun-18
The direction things have gone, I think you are getting out at the exact right time. Wish I had lived during your time...

20-Jun-18
Personally, I found how important it is for me to kill something last year when my freezer went empty. I lost the desire to shoot small bucks many years ago, but still want to shoot big ones and a tasty doe or two. The more I read about our manufactured food supply, the more I see a need to eat a deer instead. When my heart stops racing when a deer approaches, I'll probably go fishing instead.

20-Jun-18
I went from wanting to, to watching my son, kill deer and had a great season last year. Don't get me wrong I still love letting arrows fly but I see a shift in priorities.

20-Jun-18
You’re just at that stage of a thoughtful hunter’s life. It’s a pretty natural progression.

At 54, I am in the stage preceding it. My deer hunts are focused on certain bucks only and my adventure hunts are in the “winding down” stage - I can see the end in sight.

I picked up the camera years ago and it has given me much pleasure. I also agree that it, too, can be a distraction as mentioned above but I think I have found the balance with it.

Will I ever actually quit hunting? IDK. But I might someday. Who knows?

20-Jun-18
With photography there is no need to draw a tag so you can go to Yellowstone in the elk rut and film giants every day. That’s what BB chose to do. He’s as passionate now as he ever was when bow hunting. I remember my Dad being done too. Good luck and we’ll done. C

20-Jun-18
12yards X2. I used to hunt cuz i loved to hunt, the meat was a big bonus. Then 3 years ago, i only killed one deer and my wife, daughter and I were out of meat before Christmas. We had to buy beef. It was at that point that not just I, but my wife as well realized hunting was way more than just a passion....

20-Jun-18
12yardsX3 Gotta keep the freezer full of quality meat. An elk preferred, and a couple of does as a back up.

20-Jun-18
Well John, that strictly a personal decision that everyone else must respect. If it ain't fun, don't do it. I'm 71 myself, but I don't see me quitting deer hunting until I can no longer get around. I love venison, we eat a lot of it, hell, I even feed it to my little allergic-to-everything JRT.

OTOH, my Wyoming antelope hunts are over, just don't want the drive anymore. I might still hunt some exotics in Texas and might not. Traveling to hunt doesn't have the appeal to me that it once did.

Hunting with that Nikon might just be the ticket ! Good luck, whatever you decide.

20-Jun-18
12 yds +4.........................A buddy of mine has a great quote that pretty well sums it up:

"KNOW WHERE YOUR MEAT COMES FROM: BOWHUNT!"

20-Jun-18
You sound like a guy that wants to be begged to hang around.

Ok, PLEASE don't abandon us underlings; we can't bear the thought of you checking out and leaving us to figure it all out on our own!

(There, feel better?)

20-Jun-18
Don't make any crazy azz decisions now. I'm sure that as soon as the temps drop and the leaves fall you'll get the itch again.

Hell you can always bring both a bow & camera to your stand. Pick up whichever one suits you and take the shot.

20-Jun-18
I have a "Living Will" that clearly lays out that when I no longer enjoy food, sex and hunting I will be taken to the woods, like a faithful old hound, one last time and not return.

The only stipulation is that it must be a large expandable broadhead for a quick, sure death.

20-Jun-18
LMBO South Farm and Ambush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

20-Jun-18
Cool picture. I bet it tastes like a fish eating chicken.

20-Jun-18
John, if your ready to go off the deep end a dabble into politics then at least try and make a difference in the hunting, fishing and outdoor world. One person can make a difference and you have a great background in the outdoor world. I'm sure you have heard every argument and angle and may have even wrote about it a time or two. That could be used as great tool to help future generations get steered in the right direction. Also to void off other opinions and decisions that could hurt the future. Just remember what it's like to be young and the excitement these activities brought to your life. Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you chose and make Bowsite your retirement site.

20-Jun-18
I remember vividly the LAST deer my Dad killed. Afterword he said that it gave him no satisfaction or thrill at all, and my Mom really didn't care much for venison. My brothers and I would supply all the venison he could eat.

I'm almost 63 and I'm a meat eater - not much of a trophy hunter. I absolutely love to be in the woods and will pass MOST deer until the end of the season --- my wife and I both enjoy venison. Elk on the other hand - first legal adult in range .... zip, I'm dropping the string.

20-Jun-18
What makes you guys think John wants to be acknowledged in such a way? He only mentions the word "I" 29 times in his post. Gives me an idea for a new drinking game though.

20-Jun-18

Make no mistake, I eat a lot of deer meat. Usually, I eat three a year, just me. That is one good morning hunt. (five years ago, I had all my teeth pulled. A powerful antibiotic destroyed all the enamel, so I can't eat as much I use to. Can't wear false teef.) But I noticed last year, I was enjoying just being in the woods and taking pictures a lot more than I was actually killing anything. Then, when I added in dragging them out and doing all my own processing, it became work...to a certain point. I can probably, pick the right morning during gun season and put three does on the ground pretty close to the truck. And, I might. Or, I might find me some good-lookin woman and let her do it. The one I am married to for near 44-years is too lazy to hunt and my daughter is almost an anti-hunter. So, I am looking for an older woman, one in her mid-20's to take. Y'all know any? Fishin was slow to mediocre, this morning but God done okay on the sunrise.

20-Jun-18
"The one I am married to for near 44-years is too lazy to hunt and my daughter is almost an anti-hunter. So, I am looking for an older woman, one in her mid-20's to take. Y'all know any? "

LMAO, John! Sounds like you already ruined two....you sure you want to ruin another one? Just jokin'!! ;-D

20-Jun-18
How about mentoring some young people in bowhunting and letting them hunt your property? You might find your joy for bowhunting is rekindled sharing in their excitement.

-Jeff

20-Jun-18
quote: " have never harvested an animal. I have killed several and that is just an estimate"

Never could figure out how someone was able to harvest anything until they killed it first.

20-Jun-18
You never know what is going to happen. I have had a great life, hunted and enjoyed the outdoors so much, never wanting to take it for granted. Last year, I started having recurring issues with muscle spasms and soreness after a moose hunt. I found out I have a MD type, didn't even know there were different types, that will get worse with age and, no cure. This means I will get weaker over time. Right now, I have the dilemma of sitting at home or going on a fantastic elk hunt with a xbow. I hate xbows. I can no longer climb trees, walk very far and, have to have something for support to get up off the ground. But, I will go, no matter what I have to do, just to get in the woods and, enjoy the smells and, to hear those bugles of the fall. By the way, I'm only 60.

20-Jun-18
44 years bowriter???!!! SHE deserves an award!!!!! ;-)

20-Jun-18
So make it more challenging. Shoot only mature deer 5.5 plus and hunt only from the ground. It is what you make it. But if you decide to go the camera route. That could be a blast as well. At least you are remaining active and doing something. I know too many retired people that do NOTHING.

20-Jun-18

7-Points-My son has MD. It got really bad and we took him to Mayo Clinic. They completely changed his medication and today, he is back coaching and doing great. Don't give up.

RutnStrut-I'll leave them old deer to the antler collectors. I have had enough challenges in my life. Been my experience, every mature deer, at least the ones over 4.5, that I have killed, I had to work my butt off for. I stay plenty busy fishing and taking pictures and messin with my old dawg.

20-Jun-18
Move to the northeast where it is actually hard to hunt if you want a challenge.

20-Jun-18
John, have you ever checked into dental implants and a fixed hybrid denture? If it is within your reach financially there is almost no reason why a person has to be without teeth today.

20-Jun-18
Check them Russian websites, young 20 something just waiting for you to sponsor them for a Visa to America. They respect and admire older men.

20-Jun-18
Bou cut to the chase way back at the top of the thread...if it’s no longer enjoyable, no sense doing it. It’ll make it even less enjoyable.

We’re all different. I could see the change coming in my long-time hunting buddy. He quit hunting as long, quit hunting as hard, then just quit hunting. The fire went out before he even hit 60. Me OTOH? I’ll be hunting till I’m 6 feet under. I may only make it 100yds in the woods and sit there all day, but I’ll still be huntin’. It won’t be something I want to do, it’ll be something I HAVE to do. I cannot not hunt!

20-Jun-18
I am encouraging the run for county commissioner or something similar. Use your experience and talents, and give em hell.

20-Jun-18
LOL- The deal with the teeth is, I had a bull step on jaw and my gums are disfigured. To wear dentures, even with implants, I would have to undergo major surgery and have my gums bones shaved. Forget it, I just gum food. And the last thing I need is more of a challenge. But I may run for county commission.

20-Jun-18
You have hunted long enough to know when it is time to lay the bows and guns down.

Best of luck with the camera. Please keep your writing skills sharp and stay active with Bowsite. You are great at sharing wisdom and picking brains. Both are need on Bowsite.

20-Jun-18
I am at the same stage with quail hunting and my bird dogs. Its so much work for so little reward, not just for me, but for the dogs as well. The drought has bird numbers very low. I actually put out water stations and feed them occasionally just so they make it through the summers here. I used to be able to get into 5-10 coveys a day, now I am lucky to get into 5-10 birds a day. I won't shoot them, because they are not doing well enough in my opinion. Very frustrating for a well trained bird dog!

Go take pictures and have fun doing it, or take the bow and put one in the freezer now and then.

God Bless!

20-Jun-18
You keep saying you don;t need anymore challenges. Sounds to me like they led you through a good life. However, if you are done, then you are done. Good luck and God Bless with life

21-Jun-18
Be thankful that it was a decision you were able to make for yourself and not something thrust upon you! I'm not there yet myself but, I can certainly relate.

21-Jun-18
Yup.

You do sound done.

I hope I never get there...

21-Jun-18
Not me,,,, NEVER I am 68 and go like hell, and can not find the time in the day to do all I do..... I survived heart surgery last October, and so I am recharged. NOTE.... I was in good shape and a swimmer, felt a dull ache in right shoulder and side, went right in, saved my own life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I do not think I will ever lose the burn in the belly. But I can understand, how a deer hunting routine, like that would get a little dull...... why not pick up a long bow and hit the ground,,,,, I love that even though my shots have to be under 20 yards,,,,,,

Going elk hunting again this year, for a nice fat cow, and plan on knocking down some ducks and chasing grouse, and wearing out my dog............

I think you need a B12 shot, in adventure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have to hunt New Zealand yet, so I think I have to keep on keeping on

Life is good, hunt hard, and always fair chase

21-Jun-18
I'm with wyobull....can't see myself not hunting. Especially western hunting. As long I have access and opportunity, I'll be chasing something.

21-Jun-18
I'm not buying it.....unless they've come up with a cure for HPD/NPD.

21-Jun-18
+2 wyobull, either bow hunting and or fly fishing until I am physically unable to participate. Not sure what I would do if I went to the freezer and could not pull out a venison steak.

can't even imagine wanting to pursue politics...

21-Jun-18
Or you could be a door greeter at Wal-mart..... I think all good hunters go through this stage. My grandpa did but I doubt I ever will. Being outdoors and finding that ever elusive giant is always on my mind

21-Jun-18
BB has taken up the camera big time. I see his pictures on a number of sites. I’m 68 and getting at that same time. Hunting becomes more work than enjoyment. I used to go every day after work. I started hunting with a gun at age 8. Makes me shudder to think of my grandkids out by themselves with a shotgun..

21-Jun-18
I can identify with this to a point.....as I have successfully passed it on to more than a few including my two sons and grandson, relatives and children of friends. I am approaching mid-sixties and I find the need to spend all of my time in the pursuit of hunting related activities waning. I now enjoy just being in the woods as much as hunting. I don't see myself ever quitting as long as I have the health and means to do so, as I get a "battery recharge" both physically and spiritually every time I go on a new adventure. I still especially look forward to my once a year western trip and find that planning it is as much an important part of the entire adventure as the hunt itself. After nearly 25 years bow hunting with only a single western gun hunt in that timeframe, I can see myself picking one up occasionally and will do so this season for the first time in a looooong time. I will focus on the entire trip and not just the hunting portion. I just purchased a top of the line camera and a passel of good lenses which I intend to "hunt" with throughout the whole year. I spent more on that setup than I do most outfitted and guided western hunts. Priorities do change, but the need to be a vital part of the "wild" that renews my heart and spirit will always be there.

21-Jun-18
I get it. When you hunt a lot in your free time and spend 40-50 hours a week earning a paycheck from the hunting industry for many years, it's different.

Have fun. Sometimes stepping away for a bit ends up creating a spark again. You never know.

21-Jun-18
I bought a Nikkon several yrs ago for the same reason, but when the hunt came on I couldn't take a walk in the wood with out my recurve, something just wasn't right with it, maybe when I am in a mobil wheelchair. Got to do what you got to do.

21-Jun-18
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

Jose Ortega y Gasset

If you are not out there to kill a critter, it can be enjoyable but definitely different than huntjng

21-Jun-18
Isn’t Jose the guy on that dos equis beer commercial?

21-Jun-18
John don't be done just fade slowly. I have read your stuff for more years than I can remember. I feel I know you a little bit. You will not be happy if you are totally done. Instead of shooting 5 or 6 deer a year, shoot two. You will miss it too much than spend your time with your camera and do some more fishing. I myself cannot imagine you be done until your dead and may that be a good long time!! Some folks here don't know squat about what you have done in your life and career for those of us who remember you before you started posting on here, I think we would like you to carry on even if at a slower pace!! All the best in what ever you want to do!!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear