Knothead 19-Dec-18
SixLomaz 19-Dec-18
BOHUNTER09 19-Dec-18
Boris 19-Dec-18
newfi1946moose 19-Dec-18
RD in WI 19-Dec-18
wyobullshooter 19-Dec-18
30-Jun-18
Four years,today at 1530 hours I turned in my keys to the biggest sorry puke of a high school principal that ever was.had a mean streak against all us custodians.well I laid my keys on his desk at quitting time.he said to tell what all the keys was for,I said figure it out.damn it felt good walking out after 30 years as a custodian.above it up their a$$.

30-Jun-18
At least you are not bitter and have moved on nicely

30-Jun-18
Tell us how you really felt.................

30-Jun-18
LOL

30-Jun-18
I can relate working in a place that's, let's just say, less than desirable. lol! Good on you punching out on your own terms. Enjoy your retirement!

30-Jun-18
Johnny Cash..."Oney" check it out on you tube. LOL

30-Jun-18
I retired 23 years ago but was lucky to work with great people. They even threw a party for me. I wonder if it was because they were glad to see me leave. I loved my job and the people I worked with and retired after 37 years.

30-Jun-18
I retired 19 years ago and have really enjoyed my retirement. Also, I liked my job or should I say jobs over the years. I never had any problems because I was one of those guys that always worked hard everyday. It's the people that didn't work hard that had problems. I still stay in touch with a lot of the people that I worked with.

01-Jul-18
My lazy ex stole my retirement, land, credit, everything. As a result, I will never retire. However, my wife of two years retires Monday. And my current job is easy and like being semi-retired. It's very flexible and allows me lots of time to hunt. So things could be worse.

01-Jul-18
"At least you are not bitter and have moved on nicely"

That made me laugh.

BOX CALL, you really should seek help, brother, before your demons completely take over.

Matt

01-Jul-18
I hope to live long enough to hand over my keys......

01-Jul-18
If your motivation for living is to be able to live long enough to retire retire today and start living

01-Jul-18
I like work but like not working a lot more so I guess I don’t like work. Life is good. T- 1 yr to retirement.

01-Jul-18
I was fortunate to work for the same large company 40 years and never had a boss I didn't like and get along with. For probably the last ten years I could pretty much name my own hours (always late starts during spring turkey, early quits during fall deer). Retired at 58 and going strong at 73.

01-Jul-18
I’m looking forward to retirement in 2 1/2 years but right now living for today......... Just went on an Alaskan cruise with my wife........ was the vacation of a lifetime...... now we’re planning the next vacation of a lifetime and it will be before I retire......

01-Jul-18
Four years and one month today. I took bou's advice and retired as soon as possible after watching some friends wait too long and then tipped-over shortly after they retired.

Aside from losing my wife, the past four years have been the best years of my life. I highly recommend it!

01-Jul-18
"Instead of retiring FROM work, you need to retire TO something." That was advice given to me from a recently retired friend at work.

T - 4-1/2 years....

01-Jul-18
I retired from teaching 2 years ago but still coach 9 months of the year. I told the school board that when I drop, dig a hole just over the finish line and throw me in so they can say I finished the race. After 45 years I still love the excitement of competition and watching a kid work like crazy to fullfill a dream. I had a young man set a state record this year and watched his parents actually cry out of joy. Pretty impressive. Met his father while grocery shopping last week and he almost teared up talking about it and the huge scholarship his son got. He is doing summer workouts already under his college coach's tutelage. This summer, I am working with 20 distance runners with dreams of greatness. Several of them are gifted but time will tell. At 72, I can't run for them. I had them slated for a 7 mile run last evening, biked ahead to a turnoff and asked them when they reached there if they were wussies or runners. They all screamed "runners" and I headed them up another road that turned it into an 8 mile run. Tough kids, both boys and girls..

01-Jul-18
I'm eligible in two years but I'm T- 12 years and not wanting it to come too fast. Still love getting up and going to work.

I'm with Lawdy. As a HS teacher, I still enjoy going to work and the kids. I teach marketing and business classes and serve as the advisor for DECA (not athletic but academic management, marketing & entrepreneurship). We compete and do pretty well considering we are a title one school here in the metro Phoenix area. Just got back from competing in Atlanta at national competition and next year we are going to Orlando FL. I just had students text me last week about their projects they are working on for next year and how they are looking forward to competing. Very rewarding to see students grow and do well. This is what I enjoy most.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the fall off to spend in the woods but just trying to make the most of this time I have now. Congratulations to all of you that are enjoying your retirements. It is nice for the rest of us to know there is something else to look forward to.

01-Jul-18
Former boss and former co-worker have retired. They still talk about how bad each other sucked when you see them. Life’s too short for that. Four years until mandatory retirement for me. Still have one at home, so can’t punch out yet.

01-Jul-18
" Take this job and shove it, I ain't workin' here no more "

Johnny Paycheck

01-Jul-18
There’s a fine line between working too long and working long enough to be able to afford to do some things.......

01-Jul-18
I have 3 years and 3 months exactly till retirement. I like my job for what it is but will not work one day longer than my out date. I enjoy working around my farm, hunting and fishing. With everything I own being paid for and barring any health issues I should have a very enjoyable retirement.

01-Jul-18
I worked 27 years for a company owned by 2 brothers . 12 employees. Third generation took over. He fired everyone but me. Got young secretary. They were involved before he took over. That made his third divorce happen . He needed big money to pay all his bills . He starting ripping off our good customers, so they came to me and I didn’t want involved in his mess . I stayed three years . Enough of that . So at 50 , 12 years ago. I went to work for me then. By the grace of God , I had a Dad that taught how to work hard and save . Many customers followed me as I do service in the field along with my shop work . I take time to hunt , fish and live. Best move I ever did. I enjoy working and playing . Have not touched a dime of retirement and feel like I already am. I made lemonade from lemons .

01-Jul-18
My dad had a stroke at 55 and died at 60. He worked hard all his life and didn't make it to retirement. I vowed I'd try not to let that happen to me. I retired at 57. That was 16 years ago and it was one of the better moves I've made in my life. I've been very fortunate.

01-Jul-18
Couple more years for me. Nice seeing a lot of people retiring early so they can enjoy life.

01-Jul-18
Loved my job of 30 years 3 months, but was able to retire 3 months before I turned 55 in 2002 and haven't looked back! Hard to believe I've been retired a little more than 16 years now.

01-Jul-18
Dont that suck. Giving up a position that means nothing. I get that. I closed the doors on a business that was covered by ten others in my area. In you're area... That must be multiplied by ten thousand!

I get it but what are you really saying? I think you are sad. So was I. I bet you were really good at your job. So was I.

Nobody will miss either of us. Life goes on.

Enjoy it. F 'em all.

01-Jul-18
Sorry you retirement decision was so stressful. You seem to continue to harbor a lot of discontent four years post retirement. In the words of Don Henley, "Get over it !" Start enjoying some current and future life.

Do you get a retirement check after 30 years of service? If so, get happy as a lot of people are not as fortunate as you are who have worked for a place/system for 30 yrs. and don't get a monthly retirement check.

01-Jul-18
A friend of mine worked in school system 23 years . Left his second wife and two kids to chase some gal in Iowa. Came back home after two years . I hired him . He worked a year and then back to his self employed job before he went to Iowa. Met a good gal and settled down about 8 years ago . At 64 he just found out , he has the most aggressive lymphoma there is . I hope and pray not , but he probably WONT see any of his school retirement. Move on and enjoy what you have . HEALTH IS EVERYTHING

01-Jul-18
Became eligible March 1st. Still love my job. When that changes I will retire.

01-Jul-18
I like your first thread:)

“Celebrating a milestone”

01-Jul-18
Could retire but in no hurry. I like the social aspect of what I do, I like what I do and like the team I work with and most of the customers and vendors. Been here over a decade and proud of how have helped make the organization stronger by doing a lot of the little things right and taking on the challenge of addressing messes rather than ignoring them.

If any of you reading this are still working and hate your boss and getting up to get ready on work days then is a strong employment market out their if you have skills that are in demand. If you lack those skills, might want to look into what skills you can add to your tool kit. You might have to move to take on a better job but stress kills so if are not happy then now is the time to put together a plan to find that next job. Good luck.

01-Jul-18
12-years for me and working about as hard as I want to. I can only earn a certain amount before it cuts into my SS so I have it pretty well monitored.

01-Jul-18
Retirement is a privilege,not a right.

01-Jul-18
Contemplating retiring for the second time next year.

01-Jul-18
I can retire from teaching on Jan 1, 2024...5 years and 6 months. I will have the rule of 80 then and will be able to retire from Missouri teaching. Missouri has one of the better retirement systems (PSRS) and I'm looking forward to it. I will probably get a job here in Illinois in one of the of the local school systems...hopefully work for 5 years and retire a second time. Jan 1, 2024 I will be 54...and I will either teach, or just do something else.

01-Jul-18
Two years retired for me. I miss working at times and the people I worked with. That being said I am enjoying retirement and have no regrets packing it in.

I would also recommend you take a step back and look at the positives from your past employment.

01-Jul-18
Retired August 2016. 65 years old. Worked 42 years for a good organization and left with good will. Still get to work about 2 to 3 days a month if I want. Have not regretted retirement a single day. You do need to have something to do with your time. Hunting, fishing, a little farming. Life is good.

01-Jul-18
T - 4 yrs. Also a teacher will be 60. Worked for years prior, made good investments. Love working with kids, every hour is different. I also Head coach Softball and am the Athletic Director. May keep doing some of that. Want to see grand kids. Spend time on my our property, visit Chris and Lottie at Pine Acres, hunt when I want. Won't miss the parents today.

01-Jul-18
Retired almost 4 years ago....on Aug 1, 2014. I've enjoyed hunting when I want, (which is quite a bit!), being the general contractor on our house build, consulting at my old job etc! No regrets on retiring as I couldn't get enough time away while I still had the legs to mountain hunt. I don't miss the production and safety pressure of the job, but really liked the people I worked with and often see some of them.

Another plus for retirement....it is great to drive to hunts so you don't have to worry about the airlines losing your gear and you can bring meat, hides, antlers/horns home without issue.

Also, last year I was on a guided hunt and got my animal on day 11 of a 10 day hunt....fortunately the guides like to hunt and wanted to stay until the food ran out or we had success. I could never have stayed over when I was working. Case in point, I've walked away from a 7' black bear eating berries that was 5 miles from the truck, and it was Sunday afternoon and I had a meeting the next morning. Another time I hunted a 40" Stone sheep that kept giving me the slip....almost quit work to stay and hunt him the rest of the season but my employment contract required 2 months notice. The ram got shot a month later and made the cover of Eastman's Bowhunting a few years ago.

Enjoy your retirement....life is short, I lost my sheep hunting buddy a month ago. He was 77 and spent 17 yrs doing as he pleased. The time went by quickly.

01-Jul-18
I went to a co-workers retirement party today. He is 51 and retired after 29.5 years of service. There were several former co-workers there that I served time with that are now retired. Not one of them, and I mean not a single one, said to me today "I wish I had worked longer and not retired so soon."

01-Jul-18
I've been retired for two years. It seems like two months. God, how fast time slips by. It's cool not having to wake up by an alarm clock each day, just to go out into the dark to arrive at work. I don't have as much time left, but the time I have is mine. Well, mine and that 21 month old grandbaby boy I have to babysit a couple days per week. :)

01-Jul-18
59 this year.... "retirement", what's that. My dad died from a heart attack at 64 and heart problems run on the male side of our family. I made a vow that I would hunt and travel as much as I could before I died (I wasn't gonna die a millionaire). I started this early and I have not regretted that decision. Should be noted that I own my own business and take about 45 days off per year for fun :)

01-Jul-18
Eight years ago today for me!

01-Jul-18
I tried retiring after about 33 years of working, wasn't for me so went back to work.

01-Jul-18
Planned for it and retired in 2002. Yes retired but not from LIFE! Yes, busy but on my own time. Still have my health and passion for the out of doors. Keeps be young. my best, Paul

02-Jul-18
I'm not certain man was meant to "retire." Looks like a 50/50 proposition relative to health, happiness and longevity. One thing I know, the folks that succeed make quick peace with leaving marketplace productivity and stay busy with meaningful work.

02-Jul-18
I semi-retired at 62. For me, it was not a difficult decision. I was in terrible health and could afford to. But it was semi-retirement as in I was able to select the areas I wanted to retire from. I quit most magazine work, just about stopped all traveling to hunt or fish and hunted or fished only on the days I wanted to. I continued my syndicated newspaper column and continued to write for three or four magazines I selected. I am now in much better health and could resume many of my former activities. But I have adjusted perfectly to my form of retirement and would not change a thing. The key is Have something to do. Don't become sediment and don't think hunting, fishing or golf etc., is all the activity you need.

02-Jul-18
I worked 41 years at UPS, the last 17 as a Feeder Driver. Retired at 60, that was 18 months ago. I have plenty to keep me busy.

Ice fishing, open water fishing, spring turkey, golf, bow hunting, 2 granddaughters, yard work, I even learned to bake bread. If it's a lousy weather day, I'll just have another mug of coffee.

My wife is a HS Principal, and has 3 more school years left before retirement. We are both in good health.

Life is good!

02-Jul-18
I enjoyed my job so much that I stayed an extra 5 years to retire with 35 years and of course more retirement $$ for those extra 5 years.

I keep myself busy doing things I enjoy and activities that increase the value of my life.

#LovinLife

Robb

02-Jul-18
Congrats Box Call

02-Jul-18
Most people when they retire, it's from the day to day nonsense of corporate policy. So, in essence, people retire from corporate and not necessarily from work (and life).

02-Jul-18
"I hope to live long enough to hand over my keys......"

I'll settle for just being able to find my keys

02-Jul-18
Nice to hear the positive words and lack of regret from those who have retired relatively young. I'm 57 and will be eligible next February 1st but might hang out until my work anniversary in May because I'm eligible for some merit pay then. It will be 32 years with my current employer and 41 years in the Land Surveying profession.

02-Jul-18
threads like this generate a buzz it seems

work health care in higher ed.... need i say more...Intersectionality, social justice, identity politics....pray for me. Just a few more years to go

02-Jul-18
trail hound One of my favorite Johnny Cash songs

Deno

02-Jul-18
I think, perhaps erroneously, the key is broken down to a few simple questions...simple, not easy ones. (1) Do you dislike what you are doing-your job? (2) Are you financially able to retire? (3) Do you have a feasible plan for what you are going to do to fill the time of retirement? If you can answer "yes", to those, then you probably should retire. When I retired from professional rodeo, in 1976, I had no choice. I was not able physically to continue. I was semi-broke and had no clue what I was going to do to make a living. That, aint good. I was quite fortunate to land as I did.

02-Jul-18
Retired May 31st last year, and love'n every minute of it. I truly enjoyed my job and the people I worked with, but the last 2 years became more and more stressful and instead of waiting for 30 years, I pulled the plug at 29.

Unfortunately, my wife still has 4 1/2 years till she can retire. If insurance wasn't so damn expensive she could pull out now. (our insurance is through her work) I get up EVERY morning (unless I'm gone hunting or fishing) and make her breakfast, give her a hug and "I love you" and see her off to work.

Things happen so unexpectedly (Jaq's wife passing, Kelly's swimming accident, etc., etc.,) I never take a single day for granted.

"May your bow bend quiet and your arrow fly true" Bob

02-Jul-18
Greatest thing about enjoying your work is that you can keep getting paid while you continue to do it.

02-Jul-18
Only 23 more years for me haha I'll be 57 with 35 years in with same company! Hope I can hold out!

02-Jul-18
^^^ I hoped for the same thing, once...

02-Jul-18
Retired 6.5 years ago. Worked for a great company for 39 years. Guess I was lucky.

02-Jul-18
I made the move the first of this year. I liked my job mostly, but my plate seemed to get fuller and fuller and more and more stress. I've kinda felt it was all by design and that my leaving would open the door for a high energy up and comer. I'm good with all that and am enjoying retirement to the max!

03-Jul-18
I get my health insurance paid by my employer after I retire until I die. So with the cost of health insurance these days I'm really lucky. They don't offer that anymore...

03-Jul-18
Been retired for a few years. Best job I ever had.

03-Jul-18
I retired 4 yrs ago at the age of 55. After 35 yrs in the carpentry trade my body was done. I found a nice 5 acre piece of property and moved far away from the city. My body has healed somewhat and life is great. I turn down more work now than I ever have before. My time is well spent and never have a problem staying busy. I have a 26 x 48 heated workshop for the winter months. I dont think I could live where I do if I was still working. No regrets. Honeydo list accually gets done. Bowriters simple questions are spot on, at least #2 and #3. #1 was never a factor in my desision.

03-Jul-18
I'll be going sometime between next May and two more years, just got to decide when. I'm ready in every way except mentally. Well almost. One missing piece is long term care. Would like to get that squared away before I pull the plug.

03-Jul-18
Healthcare in retirement is sometimes the thing that makes you postpone, a large expense sometimes looked over when used to having an employer sponsored plan for 40 yrs.

04-Jul-18
I pay $358.00 a month for High Option, Single, Med & Dental...…...vision is included.

I can't complain about that cost.

Happy 4th All,

Robb

04-Jul-18
I'm 4 months into retirement at 65, after a lifetime under a welding hood. I got out March 2...I decided I'd sweated through my last summer in that hot box...lol.

But I loved what I did, took immense pride in the utilization of my skills and workmanship, worked with a great crew, and had a fantastic boss. He literally left me alone to schedule my work, manage my supplies & parts, and coordinate efforts with flow through other departments.

I like to work. My dad taught me long ago...if the man is giving you a days pay, you give the man a days work. That boss I referred to had me mentor and train the youngsters entering the trade. As a 34 year hockey coach, working with those young guys entering the trade was my favorite aspect of my job.

On my last week, I smoked 56 pounds of brisket for the guys...they surprised me with a gift certificate to Nevada Bob's golf for $1125.00! So...I'm fitted for a complete new set of clubs and play about 4 to 5 days a week...I love it.

I'm now doing what I want to do rather than what I have to do, work a couple days a week on a local golf course, take care of household chores since my wife is still working, and spend considerable quality time split between my longbow and my bagpipe learning.

Best job I've ever had!

04-Jul-18
Countdown, 180 days as of today. Pickup the new toy hauler this weekend. Ready to travel and hunt.

04-Jul-18
Both parents passed in 2000 after long illnesses. Resolved to get out of teaching...55 and alive! Retired from the public system in 2001...55 and alive! later worked in a private school...best 8 yrs. of 40. Final retirement in 2010. Moved to the free state of OK from the socialist confines of NY...built a new home as we never had such before...built a man-cave for the bear, deer, antelope, and caribou heads and since have added some moose. Have rural solitude surrounded by oaks, deer, turkeys, dillos, possums, skunks, snakes, cottontails, coyotes, possible tornadoes, and definite creek floods! My horses are across the front lawn fence though i am crippled up such as i cannot ride due to arthritis. The pool is 86 today and one will listen to all the fireworks going off this evening. We have two grandkids in the house from FL so our hearts are not empty. They do not understand what it was like when we were their age. Wife and I celebrate our birthdays on the same day in 4 days...Boomers both. As today is the 4th, please pause and reflect on the hard working women and men who shaped the past of this country, it's present, and our grandkids who are its future. Remember our service men and women; especially those who gave their lives for this country. Get out there and plan your next hunt/fishing/golf/cruise or whatever. Told my kids they were not getting anything so they had best plan accordingly. In that vain, we just purchased a new RV!

19-Dec-18
Any additions to the list?

19-Dec-18
No retirement here. What am I going to retire from? Life? Death is the real guaranteed retirement. Until then live your life without complaints and regrets.

19-Dec-18
Retired 2 years ago from a job and organization that I loved. I still work occasionally when they need me. I’m able to hunt, fish, golf, and piddle around as I choose. My close friend died this fall of cancer at 68 years old. It’s been a great life. Enjoy yourself, the end comes sooner than you think.

19-Dec-18
The count down is on. On May 3rd, I get laid-off from my job. The university is closing down the program. In June, I turn 62. So, it is retirement for me. After almost 30 years of taking care of others, it is time to take care of me. Oh, an my wife. My wife has decided to retire after 37 years as a teacher. We plan on taking a trip out west to see things we have never seen before. I am looking for that time.

19-Dec-18
Just one addition, Knothead...shot my first deer here in OK as I never hunted here in the past eight years as was able to watch grandkids take their first bucks with their mom/dad. I get by each day recalling past hunts w/friends and thinking that I will return to my bear hunts as I can ground sit on them. Age and health have taken a toll.

19-Dec-18
I retired in 2010 after a career in the Army. Congratulations on your retirement and sticking it out in a bad situation with a terrible boss. Hopefully, you are having a great deal of fun now that you are retired.

19-Dec-18
I’ve already retired once nearly 20yrs ago (AF). Three more work days and I retire for good. I’m retiring from work, but certainly not retiring from life!

• Sitka Gear