Mule Power 05-Jul-18
Errorhead 06-Jul-18
Arrowhead 06-Jul-18
CurveBow 09-Jul-18
Nick Muche 09-Jul-18
Ermine 09-Jul-18
splitlimb13 09-Jul-18
01-Jul-18
Hello all, looking for a good quality puffy jacket that won’t break the bank. Nothing super heavy but good all around use. Open to any brand. Thanks

01-Jul-18
The First Lite Uncompahgre has served me well as an all around style puffy. It is not the lightest, nor is it the warmest, but it fits the most situations better than quite a few. When I need something warmer I tend to use the Kifaru Lost Park Parka.

01-Jul-18
northface works just fine and you can usually find a sale on them

01-Jul-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

01-Jul-18
I second north face REI

L.L. Bean any light down jacket will do and there’s dozens of them out there that are much cheaper than buying a hunting brand. Color doesn’t even matter as it’s an under layer anyway for most systems It’s not unusual to see them 50% or more off from time to time in those places

01-Jul-18
Look to the mountaineering clothing. Mountain Hardware “Compressor” “Thermist” “Stretch down” You can usually find models that have been around awhile onsale. The compressor is hard to beat.

Mountain Hardware RAB First Ascent Mamut

Most of the north face is soccer Mom Walmart quality but they still make some quality items. Sitka, Kuiu and Kryptek started using the same materials as mountaineers were using. But you can find those non camo items cheaper.

01-Jul-18
Kuiu has their Kenai puffy on close out right now for a great price. I love mine.

01-Jul-18
Ck Kuiu 4th July Sale- some good buys !

01-Jul-18
All Sitka, all the time. Three different weight options as well as the vest options!

01-Jul-18
I really like my Kuiu hooded superdown jacket, but it's also the only one I've ever tried.

01-Jul-18
First Lite Uncompahgre. Great all around puffy. Not the lightest but not super fragile either. Been more than warm enough for me on typical early season mountain hunts.

02-Jul-18
Another vote for the First Lite Uncompahgre. I love mine.

02-Jul-18
Kuiu Kenai is great if you're okay with synthetic.

02-Jul-18
Love my sitka Kelvin active so far. Bought it on a recommend from my buddy herdbull after he wore one (often as an outer layer) on 3 solo fly in alaska moose hunts while filming his movie "chasing solitude"

02-Jul-18
https://www.herdbullproductions.com/

02-Jul-18
My RAB has worked well

02-Jul-18
I've got a Kryptek, a Browning, and a Cheapo from Walmart. Bought the Kryptex for $60 used. Paid $39 for the Browning. I paid $19 for the Walmart version. Imuch prefer the Walmart to the other two.

Weights are as follows.

Kryptek is 24 ounces. I think. Its mid 20's for sure.

Browning is 26 ounces.

Walmart's mossy oak one weighs 18 ounces and is as warm as the other two

02-Jul-18
WV, can you post a link or more info on those three? Been wanting to get something cheap but didn't realize something that's not junk could be had for that kind of money.

02-Jul-18
Kryptek for my son and First Lite Uncompagre for me.

-Mitch

02-Jul-18
Guy says " That won't break the bank" and we got Sitka and Kuiu on the board ! Hahahaha even the First Lite Uncompahgre isn't exactly cheap, not to mention the pattern is pretty awful looking =-P

02-Jul-18
First Lite Cirrus..it's awesome

02-Jul-18
I bought the Browning from Sierra trading post about 3 years ago. The Kryptek used off of Rokslide, and the Walmart Puffy at Walmart. God Bless

02-Jul-18
Is it the black, conifer, dry earth, cipher, or fusion that looks awful?

02-Jul-18
I don't like any of them except conifer haha.

02-Jul-18
Spiltlimb 13- LOL. Without fail it happens every time. People don't bother the read the opening post and just want to talk about what THEY have regardless if it meets the needs or answers the question of the OP.

I like my Core4element puffy I got off camofire. It was cheap and didn't "break the bank". I think it was $59 and just as warm and packable as my Sitka. But if you want to "break the bank" do the sitka, kuiu or first lite people are suggesting.

02-Jul-18
Or find it on sale and don’t break the bank

-Mitch

02-Jul-18
Dude , I was in a Belk one time and their winter stuff was like 60-70% off . I bought a nice little dark green goose down puffy coat that packs up easily in a pouch about 3/4 of a liter . Love that little coat .

02-Jul-18
"Spiltlimb 13- LOL. Without fail it happens every time. People don't bother the read the opening post and just want to talk about what THEY have regardless if it meets the needs or answers the question of the OP."

I for one would like to know how any of the aforementioned brands fail to meet the needs or answers the question of the OP considering the OP mentioned he is open to all brands.

As an aside, personally, I didn't mention all of the puffies I have, just the ones that worked the best for what the OP described (all around use, not too heavy, good quality). Oh, and I paid less for my Uncompahgre than you did for your core4.

02-Jul-18

Scrappy's Link
Eddie bauer has some pretty good ones and are 50% off right now. Can get some quality and not break the bank.

03-Jul-18
https://www.ems.com/ems-men%E2%80%99s-feather-pack-jacket/2006101.html

03-Jul-18
In late summer COSTCO will sell down jackets ($50 Canadian) and vests ($25 C vests are already in the store in BC). XL jackets weigh 13 ounces and vests 8 ounces. No camo and no hood, but otherwise well worth the money. I have a vest that is 4 or 5 years old and doing well. I think they are great bargain. As a disclaimer I have and really like a KUIU Superdown hooded camo puffy that I use on backpack trips. It weights about 9 ounces (original thinner style) and it is about as warm as the 13 ounce COSTCO variety and stuffs smaller too. In the arctic last February I layered the KUIU under the COSTCO jacket and had a caribou parka over all of it when you really wanted to stay warm.

03-Jul-18
Open to all brands that won't bankrupt him... Some good info here ,I'd say he's set . Look for sales.

03-Jul-18
+1 Kurt on the Costco jacket. That's what my daughter uses and she loves it. Seems like a great choice, in fact I may pick up a vest!

03-Jul-18
Thanks for all the info everyone! It’s been very helpful

05-Jul-18
I am cold natured so I combine a down vest with the Kuiu super down Jacket. Puffy does not mean PARKA!

05-Jul-18
I have a Kryptec Aquillo that I bought off of Camofire that I like a lot. I also have a Core4Element I bought off of Camofire and it's nice too but the Kryptec has a hood so I where it most of the time.

05-Jul-18
My wife bought me. Cabelas puffy and man is it comfortable. Fits great. $60. I’d have never thought of that myself. Haha

06-Jul-18
Another vote for First Lite Cirrus

06-Jul-18

Arrowhead's Link
I have the entire set and I love them all. The Bomber jacket is real puffy and warm but I personally don't use it much here in Alabama.

09-Jul-18
I got a Sitka Kelvin in gray that I wear all winter here in New York. I love it!

Also have a Kelvin in camo I got used on Rokslide.com. I got the gray kelvin for about $200 on Camofire last fall.

09-Jul-18
All First Lite all the time! Three options to fit all your needs!

09-Jul-18
Western Mountaineering Flash jacket.

Sitka

Kifaru parka

09-Jul-18
Since the price things out the window Sitka Kelvin lite Hoody

• Sitka Gear