Frank Sanders 20-Jul-18
Frank Sanders 20-Jul-18
Wapitidung 20-Jul-18
Zackman 20-Jul-18
StewartBrown 28-Oct-20
Glunt@work 28-Oct-20
TrapperKayak 28-Oct-20
19-Jul-18
For those of you that have spent the night, both coming and leaving, in Kodiak, Alaska, which hotel do you recommend and why? I checked on a couple and it looks like the Comfort Inn is right near the airport and cheaper than the Best Western. Appreciate any inputs......thanks.

19-Jul-18
They are all kind of close to each other. I've stayed at the best western and the Shellikoff. Both have been just fine.

19-Jul-18
The correct math is whether the Best Western is cheaper than the Comfort Inn + cab rides to and from downtown. Chances are you are not flying from the airport to your hunting destination, so not sure what being close to it buys you.

19-Jul-18
BW has a good breakfast and hot tub. Comfort is a little more dated and still has breakfast, just not as good. Matt has a valid point on cabs though, but the BW has a shuttle that is free, I have a rig there so not a concern. If you’re flying with Andrews they have a shuttle also. They’ve picked my hunters up, taken them to Mack’s and F & G to get their bear permits. Andrew’s is a class act. Hope this helps

19-Jul-18
Island and Andrews both have free shuttles, Best Western does as well. I usually stay at the Best Western if they have rooms available. Walking distance to the bars and the hardware store along the way has some superb wheelbarrows on display perfect for napping in. :)

19-Jul-18
Best Western was nice. I'm sure its seen a ton of hunters over the years.

19-Jul-18
I like the Best Western for the same reason as Tembry. Kodiak is a great walking town.

19-Jul-18
I have no prior experience but, in booking with the Best Western for this season, I know they will accept gear shipments on behalf of their traveling hunters. Perhaps the Comfort Inn will, as well.

19-Jul-18
Best Western allows you to use their freezer's for fish and game which was a huge help.

19-Jul-18
Best western for sure. Great food and walking distance to most places . Enjoy Kodiak is a fun town . Hunt

19-Jul-18
Another vote for Best Western ... we had no troubles there at all, even when we had to make the schedule changes that Kodiak weather often brings.

19-Jul-18
Botta book, botta boom! Comfort Inn will give you 118 rewards points!

19-Jul-18
I miss the Russian Heritage. That was my go to.

19-Jul-18
Thanks for all the inputs.......looks like Best Western!

19-Jul-18
Good luck

19-Jul-18
Shellikoff... for the local experience. Plus you can take care of your deer and caribou meat in the bathtub... Ed F

19-Jul-18
I have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation... but I do know that I would have to be pretty drunk to nap in a wheelbarrow. ;^)

19-Jul-18
I hate the liberal views of the company but AirBNB can also be a good option if you are looking to save some cash.

19-Jul-18
The Best Western is nice because it's close to the brewery and some good restaurants. Distance from the airport is irrelevant because it's so far out of town, you're not walking it anyways and your air taxi will have a shuttle. Give yourself PLENTY of time to catch your flight out if you're leaving in the AM. Between weapons, meat, etc, it can be cutting it close because the shuttles don't like to start really early. We almost missed our flight last year.

19-Jul-18
If you're going early season....the silvers and humpies should be running. When I go there I stay with some CG buddies. Awesome place to visit for hunting and fishing.

19-Jul-18
Again, thanks for all the inputs. Just booked both ends of the hunt at the Best Western. Will be hunting out of Bob Ameen’s Buck Shack. Should be an exciting time for our first time on Kodiak Island!!!

19-Jul-18
TEmbry do they discount the wheelbarrows if they are covered in ear blood?

19-Jul-18
Taj was in need of a new one so I gifted him the golden opportunity at a discounted scratch and dent model. It’s what friends do Jason!

Kodiak is the perfect end to a long fall season up here. A lot of hunting between now and then but can’t wait to be down that way again!

19-Jul-18
Good luck and have a safe trip

20-Jul-18
Free shuttles are great unless they are headed elsewhere when you need them….or their driver headed home until his next shift (tomorrow). I've been on the wrong side of that equation a few times.

20-Jul-18
The best air taxis just give you their hooptee for a day or two. Only time you miss a flight then is if you find your partner tits up in the bathtub in the morning. Ha

20-Jul-18
BW has a good breakfast and hot tub. Comfort is a little more dated and still has breakfast, just not as good. Matt has a valid point on cabs though, but the BW has a shuttle that is free, I have a rig there so not a concern. If you’re flying with Andrews they have a shuttle also. They’ve picked my hunters up, taken them to Mack’s and F & G to get their bear permits. Andrew’s is a class act. Hope this helps

20-Jul-18
Clicked on thread and some reason it resubmitted it???? The owners of BW are also hunters. The moose you’ll see if you stay there was killed awhile back, Johnson asked the pilot for a saw to cut the rack in half, pilot saw it and said no way, going out intact. You’ll understand when you see it

20-Jul-18
Andrews is indeed a class act.

20-Jul-18
I stay at the Best western when I go. Good breakfast, good rooms, good band in the bar on saturday nights. I’ll be there this November—when I’m not at Henry’s...

28-Oct-20
When I was going to visit Alaska, I also searched and considered many hotel options. A couple of times I came across terrible hotels, with terrible service, dirty towels, etc. By the way, these hotels were not the cheapest. I'm going on a business trip, I don't have time to think about towels, but I had to. To my happiness, a colleague shared the site with me https://www.westgateresorts.com/hotels/hhn/ through which he always finds the best hotels. You know, that's the way it is. Since I started booking hotels here, I've never worried about anything. Modern and simple, it's worth it.

28-Oct-20
Can't answer since weather has screwed up our hotel plans every time I've been there. :^)

Last time was a mad dash from the airport to the float plane docks and then on the way out, napping at the airport waiting on weather to clear to get to Anchorage.

Did a B&B back in the 90s. Ended up there a week hunting ducks instead of deer waiting for the wind to die down.

28-Oct-20
Spent 11 nights at my wife's cousins a few years ago, and planning another trip this coming summer, so no motel needed. The fishing was great. Next time I'll hunt too.

• Sitka Gear