non typ 24-Jul-18
Pigsticker 24-Jul-18
Treeline 24-Jul-18
The Kid 25-Jul-18
Pigsticker 25-Jul-18
PECO 25-Jul-18
The Kid 25-Jul-18
24-Jul-18
SO I need some help in deciding what species/state to go hunt in from Aug 9th-22nd. I start a new job on the 23rd and I have always wanted to try my hand in my first out of state hunt. Any ideas? I am really up for anything! Thanks for your help! -Chris Mullins

24-Jul-18
The only thing I can think of in that timeframe as an OTC hunt would be Caribou in Alaska. I’m sure there are some mule deer options out there though.

24-Jul-18
You are just a hair early for most antelope. There might be a state out there that has some private land vouchers that will enable you to possibly get something done. The other option is free-range exotics in Texas. Mike McKinney in West Texas might be a good contact. I've never hunted with him but those that have had favorable things to say. Not sure what your price range is but perhaps he might be able to put you on free-range axis or aoudad. I realize his hunts may be a bit out of your price range but maybe you do a self-guided axis doe or aoudad ewe.

24-Jul-18

kscowboy's Link
Link to Mike's website

24-Jul-18
Thanks Travis and Blake! Yeah it is a weird date selection, but its the window of opportunity for me and I wanted to make something of it.

I got a PM saying that Pronghorn season in Colorado opens on the 15th. That really peaked my interest since it is so close to Kansas! Now to the hard part and try to find some access or public in the eastern park of the state.

24-Jul-18
A lot of WY opens the 15th as well, but not sure if you can still buy a leftover OTC anymore like you could in the past. Congrats on the new job!!

Matt

24-Jul-18
There are some otc archery opportunities in Colorado that would fit. Hard part is it’s mostly private land out east.

Look into Comanche and Pawnee National Grasslands, Pinyon Canyon US Army Base, and possibly some Colorado State Wildlife areas out there. There are a couple right on the Kansas border that have antelope.

Figure out water sources and set up a couple of blinds.

24-Jul-18

Treeline's Link
this little ditty might help, too

24-Jul-18
SD antelope opens 8/18 so maybe a little late to work for you.

24-Jul-18
Ontario Bear Hunt

24-Jul-18
I think South Carolina Whitetail opens August 15th.

24-Jul-18
Alaska Dall sheep opens Aug 10 if you could find a cancellation hunt (you’d need a guide). Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak opens Aug 1, which you can do DIY. Kodiak goat opens Aug 20, you’d need a guide for goat. There’s two units in CA where you could hunt Columbia blacktails OTC during that timeframe as well. There’s also early season Coues in AZ.

24-Jul-18
Kodiak would be a blast!

24-Jul-18
Your budget? Off the top of my head I’d say Wyoming antelope.

24-Jul-18
Give us a budget range and we can collaborate to find a great hunt for you. You may not have all the right gear for Alaska and that will set you back quite a bit. Hotels and flights up there this time of the year are expensive too.

With you being from Kansas, I'm sure a 90" whitetail in SC is probably not going to make the list. WY antelope would be a great hunt and if you are polite and respectful on here (which you are), you might have someone help you. I already mentioned exotics but you could also look at TX for a self-guided javelina and hog hunt, as those aren't too pricey.

If I was in your shoes and looking at something all-in for less than $2,000, I'd look at a close state for antelope or Texas.

24-Jul-18
Alaska DIY caribou is costing me about $2,200 from Ks with 3 other guys splitting it up

24-Jul-18

24-Jul-18
You could do an Alaska black bear hunt fairly cheap. Fly to anchorage, rent car, drive toward Valdez or the Kenai and glass hillside berry patches. I have shot several like that when I lived there.

24-Jul-18
Dang, pigsticker, that sounds like a hoot as well! Not to mention that the silvers are running;^)

25-Jul-18
Thanks for all the responses! Now I have far to many options to choose haha. I would love to go to Alaska, but I'm leaning towards WY and Colorado Pronghorn. There are few units in WY that have leftover tags that aren't sold out and I'm sure it is because of the lack of access. I am trying to hammer out the details on the units in WY and I am doing some virtual scouting on the CSW areas in Colorado. Thanks again for all of the responses. I really appreciate the help!

25-Jul-18
Kid, if possible try to find terrain that is undulating and broken versus flat. This will Be much more favorable if you are spot and stalking.

25-Jul-18
Hogs in Texas?

25-Jul-18
Thanks Michael! I'm 0-2 in Kansas trying for flat cropland Pronghorn so undulation is a BIG draw in what I am looking for in Colorado.

• Sitka Gear