PECO 25-Jul-18
PECO 25-Jul-18
Bou'bound 25-Jul-18
grubby 26-Jul-18
wilbur 26-Jul-18
Huntcell 26-Jul-18
Bowriter 26-Jul-18
24-Jul-18
Doe to broken fingers, arthrhitis, age, etc., I cann o longer wear rings. I have a custom made, elk ivory and high-quality gold ring, I have worn it very little. It is simple, not gaudy and extremely well crafted. Way too big for any of my kids except one and way to small for him. Yes, I could sell it to a jeweler or just for the gold in it. But I feel it would mean a lot more to an actual elk hunter. I am just guessing but I think the gold alone is probably worth $350-400. Any suggestions??

24-Jul-18
I'd take the ring to a jeweler and have them make it into something else you might wear or a nice display piece.

24-Jul-18
I’m assuming the ivory is from an elk you killed.

My ivories are memories from my hunts. Put it on a chain/ string/ lanyard.... hang it from a mirror / a bed post or a picture.

Donate it to a local chapter RMEF if you want to unload it.

Pawn it and buy an old used canoe and go for a paddle.

24-Jul-18
Have it made into a pendent or just add a gold chain and wear it around your neck!! If it a size 17 or so you can send it to me, I have huge sausage fingers!! Shawn

24-Jul-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
This the only picture I have of it. The second ring is a very old, Navajo sandcast with Morenci turquoise. I just had the thought, it might make a pair of earrings for the old wife-woman or maybe a new young girlfriend...if I could find me a classy 50-year old. I don;t wear jewelry so no need to make into something else I wouldn't wear and as for memories, I have no idea which elk these came from. I have a couple dozen elk ivories in a box and cannot remember why I had the ring made. Guy out in Pagosa Springs made it for me...Tom something. That had to be 20-years ago and I reckon I have worn it maybe ten times. The turquoise ring is way older than I am. Since I am not on exactly speaking terms with RMEF, I reckon I'll pass on that idea and for sure, aint gonna paddle canoe. What brought his on is, wife-woman, (I reckon she is fixing to poison me,) suggested I go through a bunch of "old stuff", like my trophy buckles and such and decide what I want to do with them in case I die. Can't figure out what she means, "in case"? I am pretty sure I am going to. Actually, it is something we all need to do. I have a lot of "stuff" that is probably somewhat valuable. Got some buckles with a lot of gold and silver and one with diamonds. One was appraised several years ago at $4500, so there is some value, there. My mounts, I have made arrangements with Cracker Barrel to buy them but still have quite a bit of other stuff. Just hated to see the ring go to a pawn shop. Maybe I'll have the ivories put into one of my buckles and sell the gold.

24-Jul-18
Ladies ring, pendant, tie tac, tie bar, man's single ear ring (left ear straight or right ear gay). Lots of options there.

24-Jul-18
Man's ear ring. LMAO! Good ideas except...I do not own a tie, wife would never wear a ring like that but keep the ideas coming.

24-Jul-18
Sell some of the stuff and take the proceeds and have a watch made by Montana Watch Company with an elk etched into the background and the ivories at the top and bottom of the bezel. This would make a nice heirloom for one of the kids. My dad has his favorite mountain and river in the background of his Montana with a rainbow going for a gold caddis fly.

24-Jul-18
Geeze, bowriter, you OK? Kind of sound like you have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

25-Jul-18
Bring it back into wilderness, make a fire and melt the ring or bury it deep. Otherwise it will torture you forever until the end of your life.

25-Jul-18
Donate it to be auctioned kinda like the bear hunt here every year.

25-Jul-18
Get your manhood pierced and throw those boys in there.

25-Jul-18
Inshart- I' m fine, just facing reality. I suspect we all have some things that have monetary value but mean nothing to our families. It makes sense to have a plan for what should be done with them. Take the worry away from family. Best thing I have done is donate my body to Vanderbilt Medical School. No final decisions to be made, no cost. Lot of worry, stress and expense taken care of. Best time to make these decisions is when you are still alove and well.

25-Jul-18
Have the gold melted and shaped into an arrow head, and have the ivory embedded into it. Put it on a chain around your neck, or on a band for a bracelet.

25-Jul-18
Have the gold melted and shaped into an arrow head, and have the ivory embedded into it. Put it on a chain around your neck, or on a band for a bracelet.

25-Jul-18
Slip sinker for a Texas rig maybe?

26-Jul-18
I would think you could get it made into a pretty sweet mouth grill, fashion and function, would probably be nice to have a couple more teeth for corn season.

26-Jul-18
Have it made into small pierceable items. Get yourself some tattoos and pierce your body in all sorts of strategic areas. Make a statement.

26-Jul-18
Slip it in before that fifty something comes over with her canoe. It will make you last longer when you both get to paddling.

26-Jul-18
Problem solved. Friend of mine bought it as a birthday gift his son-an elk hunter in the making.

• Sitka Gear