Stoneman 25-Jul-18
APauls 25-Jul-18
oldtimer 25-Jul-18
elkmtngear 25-Jul-18
DL 25-Jul-18
Feedjake 25-Jul-18
Ned 25-Jul-18
24-Jul-18

Man even a polar's got nothing on this guy. We as bowhunters think we are so different than a gun hunter, and trad shooters think they are so much different than compound guys. When you see where we've come from, man I'm glad I sit where I am today that looks like some uncomfortable living conditions!

24-Jul-18
You made my day!

24-Jul-18
Very cool.

24-Jul-18
Very cool

24-Jul-18
AK natives have actually evolved to deal with the cold. There was an experiment to see how long different groups could use their hands in Arctic sea water (about 29 degrees). Couldn't get a white guy to keep his hands in a minute. Natives just kept working like we would in tap water. Tough people.

24-Jul-18
That was nice Thank you for sharing

24-Jul-18
Part 2? Enjoyed it!

24-Jul-18
I think I have some of their DNA.

24-Jul-18
Nanook of the North was required viewing when I was in Jr. High

24-Jul-18
Nanook of the North was required viewing when I was in Jr. High

24-Jul-18
After living for many years in the high country of Colorado, the cold is not the amazing part of this story for me. It never ceases to surprise me at the susceptibility to cold that others have when they come visit or hunt in the high country.

These people obviously have very specialized clothing and are used to being out in the weather their whole lives.

What is truly amazing is the teamwork and process that they used to disassemble that seal to make food, rawhide, and other useful components from that animal using many parts that we modern hunters just throw away. Would love to see the next installment.

It is really amazing that it was only a short time ago (relatively speaking - hell, I was around when it was made!) that this was filmed and so many of the facets of that kind of life and the skill sets have been lost in that short time. In the big picture, we as humans existed for most of our time on this earth in much the same way - just different localities. The rate of change in our recent history is extraordinary.

Thank you Adam for posting this video!

24-Jul-18
That was cool!!

24-Jul-18
Anyone know what they were making or doing? Or just breaking down the seal and using everything. That's a good woman right there!

24-Jul-18
Looked like they salvaged the fat first thing. That is the prime food source for northern peoples.

Then they stripped out the hide and it appeared that he worked it over to make rawhide for rope out of it.

She cleaned out the intestines and laid them out for something in particular. Growing up, when we butchered hogs, we would clean and use the intestines for sausage casings. Not sure what their usage will be. Could even be for waterproof clothing or even food.

Looked like she had some of the organs laid out as well. Bet they eat all the internal organs - rich in fats and vitamins they can’t get any other way in that environment with no vegetables and a 98%+ meat diet.

Bet they used 99.9% of that seal. Way cool!

24-Jul-18
I think I've seen this on OETA when I was very young. Good stuff!

25-Jul-18
I really enjoyed that.

If anyone is ever in Anchorage a worthwhile visit is to the Alaska Heritage Museum. They have some wonderful displays that I am sure many Bowsiters would enjoy.

I know these people were a long way east of Alaska, but similar in latitude.

25-Jul-18

grubby's Link
Here's a great movie you guys will like.

25-Jul-18
Very cool. What's up with chitlin' braid?

As for relative cold tolerance, they have at least 3 things working in their favor: acclimation, animal hides and thermogenic brown fat (which they must have a higher percentage of than folks in warmer climates).

25-Jul-18
That's not traditional, that's primitive!

25-Jul-18
Glad you guys enjoyed it. There are a actually a series of related videos on YouTube following the same family. Shows him making sled runners from caribou antlers etc. It’s downright interesting stuff.

25-Jul-18
Enjoyed both parts. Not much for carrying on a conversation. I got a kick out of the little boy (assuming it was a boy??).

25-Jul-18
The best part of the series is when he is spearfishing. Incredible accuracy!

25-Jul-18
snort wheeze and scratch... bet he could kill a few whitetails

25-Jul-18
Only sissies use a club lol - straight punch to the head and then a neck break lol.

25-Jul-18
Amazing how tuff these people were and continue to be.

25-Jul-18
That was seriously impressive!

25-Jul-18
I can’t imagine try to drop a duece in that weather. I also don’t know how they procreate in that weather? About the time you get your clothes off Mr Johnson would act like a frightened turtle. Tough does not begin to describe that life in winter.

25-Jul-18
The flip side is you have to cuddle skin-to-skin every night under the polar bear hides just to survive.

25-Jul-18
Pretty cool but wonder why the folks filming the documentary didn’t leave them a rifle and ammo, just saying:)

• Sitka Gear