Whocares 27-Jul-18
grubby 27-Jul-18
Whocares 27-Jul-18
Kurt 27-Jul-18
PSUhoss 27-Jul-18
longbeard 27-Jul-18
Mulehorn 27-Jul-18
27-Jul-18
I have a home built (not by me) angle iron frame trailer that is 20 years old. I’m thinking about getting an aluminum trailer with bigger tires. One reason for the aluminum trailer is to reduce the weight so I can move it around easier and the same for the flip up ramp/tail gate. I’ve seen some with wood floors and some that are aluminum. What would you suggest for the floor? What are some of the pros and cons of an aluminum trailer?

27-Jul-18
I agree with dave, and I would recommend a wood bed if only because they are less rattley .

27-Jul-18
I have found there are definite weight advantages to the aluminum. The tailgate for example is much easier to deal with. I also prefer the aluminum from a rust standpoint.

27-Jul-18
Check these out. I saw them at Harrisburg and they are really nicely built. The dump feature adds some versatility. http://extremeroadandtrail.com/

27-Jul-18
Check these out. I saw them at Harrisburg and they are really nicely built. The dump feature adds some versatility. http://extremeroadandtrail.com/

27-Jul-18
Pulled a couple aluminum trailers with a quad while working. The fold up ramp creates a lot of drag. Both had removable sides that we ended up bolting solid. If empty, they bounced all over the place on lease roads. Noisy doesn’t describe them. Glad I didn’t pay for them. Would not be my pick for a atv trailer.

27-Jul-18
Bought a 5x8 H&H aluminum trailer 2 years ago after having steel and various types homemade and commercial for, dare I say, nearly 50 years ): . Weight is a factor, as is rust up here with all the salt. The ramp folds down in half, so lower profile, and clamps securely. Ramp also has cross tread to prevent slippage when snowy or wet. I replaced the cheapy standard trailer tires with good radials (15 inch) and had the wheels balanced as trailer rims are not made to the quality specs like car rims. Pulls like a dream at freeway speed. I make several trips a year to Colorado with it.

Has a treated plank wood bed which I think is preferable over aluminum bed. I bolted side and front plywood panels to the aluminum side rails. Besides my atv, room for other stuff on sides, and underneath machine. Works for me. I'll try to attach pics. Or you can check their website I guess.

27-Jul-18

Whocares's embedded Photo

27-Jul-18

27-Jul-18

27-Jul-18
That's a nice trailer. I feel that aluminum requires just as much if not more care to protect it from road salt. I have seen some trailers destroyed in short order from neglecting to wash road salt from them.

27-Jul-18
You're right Grubby, they all need some maintenance. Just had in my head I wanted aluminum. Have a 14 foot aluminum Floe tandem axle for about 12 years and good luck with that one.. For hauling snowmobiles and multiple ATVs. Only problem surge brake lines rusted out underneath so I took those brakes completely out. Don't plan to do any more surging at my age!

27-Jul-18
I've owned a Triton aluminum tilting 7'W x 9' deck snowmobile trailer for 10 years to haul a quad or two, the RZR or construction supplies around the house build. It's got the wood plywood deck, which is starting to fail (the unit is a 2002) and single torsion axle, no brakes, about 1700#s useable capacity. I really like the axle and tilt deck, but wish the trailer was a 12' long instead of 9'. The aluminum holds up great, and grease fittings on the axles are wonderful. I can push the unit around by hand without much trouble. Good luck with your quest.

27-Jul-18
This is an absolute no-brainer if you can swing it financially. Go with the aluminum and this is coming from a guy who currently owns both steel and aluminum. I have a 5x8 steel and a 6x12 aluminum and the steel one sits 95% of the time. Even when I am hauling something small, I will take the larger trailer. They both have pressure treated decking which is nice if you are screwing boards to it in order to haul something oddly shaped. The steel one got an overhaul about three years ago when I sand blasted down to bare metal and rattle canned it with bedliner to try and stop the rust. It helped for a year or so, but it needs to be done again. The aluminum one gets used year-round here in PA and all that I do is pressure wash it once a summer due to storing it under some trees and it looks like new. You can just grab it and put it on the ball of your truck with ease. Aluminum is definitely the way to go.

27-Jul-18

longbeard's embedded Photo
longbeard's embedded Photo
I have a 5x8 steel with wooden floor. I like it a lot. Not to heavy to move by hand and when the wood starts to break down I just replace the boards.

27-Jul-18
If you use a wood floor don’t bolt them down. I use a free floating system where you make a pocket for the boards in the front and an angle piece in the rear for the lower Paarl and a bolt on top angle to hold them in place. When you use. Wood floor your bolt through the plank is the weak spot that will always be a problem.

• Sitka Gear