Grubby 05-Aug-18
creed 05-Aug-18
SteveF 05-Aug-18
Treeline 05-Aug-18
SteveF 05-Aug-18
LKH 05-Aug-18
Franklin 05-Aug-18
05-Aug-18
Last year was our first time spot and stalk mule deer hunting. We seen a lot of deer, however we really struggled on finding the deer bedded in the steep ditches after watching the deer disappear. My 13 year old son ended up getting a decent 3x3 on the last day, only the 2nd stalk in 7 days. Any tips on finding deer in these steep ditches other than getting down in there and taking our chances?

Thanks

05-Aug-18
What state are you hunting?

05-Aug-18
What kind of glass do you have?

05-Aug-18
South Dakota

I currently have Swarovski 8x32 EL’s.

05-Aug-18
A lot of that prairie country can be extremely tough to bowhunt.

The deer just vanish into those arroyos and you can’t figure out where they go once they are down in the mazes.

It’s much easier if you can see where they bed and figure out the best approach to get in range. If the draws are straight enough, you may be able to get to vantage points either below or above with enough distance that you don’t spook them and glass up the deer bedded so you can set up a stalk.

If they are twisted up and no real places to set up and glass, it is much tougher.

I hunted some crazy arroyo country in North Texas for years. There were a few places that bucks would bed under rims, but mostly they would drop into the mazes and vanish. The best way to hunt them was to ease down into the arroyo and work slowly (still hunting) into the wind on some of the game trails about mid slope. Typically, the deer would be bedding under little patches of brush that you wouldn’t expect to hide a rabbit.

Blew out a lot more than we ever got shots at, but did end up with one really good buck out of there. I had spotted a bachelor group of 7 bucks in the morning and watched them slip into a brushy spot that I figured would have enough shade for them to stay through the day. I circled about a mile around them to get the wind right and still hunted into that brushy pocket with an arrow nocked.

Saw a little flicker in the brush at about 10 yards and slowly raised my binoculars to get a better view. Through the binos, I could make out the ear, an eye and the bottom of an antler. I slowly scanned around and noticed the body of a standing deer through a hole in the brush. After a lot of straining to make out the direction he was facing and that it was a buck, I figured out that if I could get my arrow thru that basketball sized hole, it should be in the ribs.

I drew and released and the arrow flew perfectly through the hole! Six bucks bounded out and up the other side of the arroyo. I ran back up the slope behind me to get a better view and saw all of them bunch up at the rim and look back to see what happened. They slowly walked over the and across to the next draw.

I went back to where I had shot and picked up the short trail to my buck.

Good luck with those prairie mule deer this fall! Hopefully you get a big ‘un!

05-Aug-18
Thanks Treeline!

05-Aug-18
I've hunted SW South Dakota in those gullies. We would get the wind and just creep and peek around. Very tough and most of the time you get caught but it never lacks for excitement.

If you spot one bedded you can then go up and try to get above it. Range it so you have an idea how far to go. It can be confusing once back on the flats. Shots are very close and steep. Practice those kind of shots. 10-15 yards almost straight down. Actually, 50% is pretty good.

05-Aug-18
The problem is they are getting in there before you. Not every Mule deer must be hunted the same way. You need to set up an ambush on the deer as they move into those areas to bed. Why do you think they bed there....that`s their security sanctuary. They will either see you...hear you or smell you. Pattern them as the move and then get downwind and let them come to you.

• Sitka Gear