grossklw 14-Aug-18
elkmtngear 14-Aug-18
Mark Watkins 14-Aug-18
13-Aug-18

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Well, I decided to go to the Chiropractor today for some discomfort I’ve been feeling in my lower back and mid/upper back. It’s my first time going ever so he decided to take some X-rays to help diagnose the issues. I discovered that my left leg is about 1/2 inch shorter than my right (yeah, yeah, let the jokes fly, lol) causing some spinal over correction up top and possibly the lower back pain. And I discovered that the upper back pain when I take deep breaths is likely being caused by a partially dislocated rib. How it happened is beyond me. Unfortunately not much I can do about either. Figures. It’s amazing how something that looks so small can cause that much discomfort.

13-Aug-18
My left leg is 1/2" shorter than my right leg. I have a 1/2" build up on my left shoe and I'm in balance- no problems. Otherwise, without buildup I have low back pains.

It's not a joking matter, I can feel your pain !

13-Aug-18
My first PT offered me a lift for my right shoe because he said my right leg was shorter than the other; $50 for the "custom" lift.

Went to another PT and they said I need a lift for my left shoe since my left leg was shorter than my right...$50 for the "custom" lift.

I have done Yoga from youtube videos beginning last October and have NEVER felt better! I do yoga 3-4 times each week and stretch 5-6 times each week in the evening before bed and I have never felt better with core strength, back pain, etc. What better balance in life can you get than packing out a bull elk in Sept and being in enough pain in October to begin yoga?! lol!

13-Aug-18
Did a board-certified radiologist actually call that a "partially dislocated rib"? I'm unfamiliar with that as an actual diagnosis.

13-Aug-18
LMAO....I hate to tell you this but EVERY chiropractor tries the "one leg is longer or hip is higher than the other" spiel. The next line will be...."you need to get adjusted at least twice a week for the next 6 months".

Chiropractors are glorified massage therapists.

13-Aug-18
There are chiropractor quacks and doctor quacks. There are chiropractors that are legit and there are doctors that are legit.

A good chiropractor can do wonders.

13-Aug-18
Franklin---You need to get into the 21st century, as your post IMHO was ridiculous. I had a lower back disc rupture way back in 1986 when I was 39 and after xrays and an MRI my Orthopedic Surgeon and a top notch Neurosurgeon decided against surgery and told me to heal up for a month and then start regular chiropractic visits for that and spinal misalignment they found in a couple of places. I've been going once a month ever since then and I can tell when it's about time for my next visit and the positive difference right after the visit. If a Chiropractor doesn't at least have xrays and preferably also an MRI taken for a person, there is no way they should ever do a single adjustment on that person.

13-Aug-18
Franklin it is a shame you do not have a clue!! It is a proven science and has helped and is helping millions of people daily! Shawn

13-Aug-18
Deertick, no that was not an actual “Diagnosis”. His comment was in relation to the X-ray showing that I have a very healthy spine overall and saying that the only thing he can see that might possibly be causing the pain is the small separation between the rib and vertebrae. His thought is that the tissue around the area is inflamed because of the separation. He actually recommended treatment with a heating pad and topical CBD ointment. As far as the X-ray showing my differences in leg size he did say that 99% of the population has one leg that is slightly longer than the other he said that most of the time the difference is between 3-5mm whereas mine is at 1/2 inch supposedly. He said there’s nothing he can do about it except offer a $15 insert for my left shoe to gradually begin balancing things back out. He also recommended trying some sort of regular stretches or yoga type of workout to begin gaining more flexibility in my joints. He also spoke to me about diet and staying away from some of the more inflammatory causing foods and a clean diet. I was actually amazed he didn’t recommend a series of adjustments. Seemed fairly legit to be honest.

13-Aug-18
Franklin ,

If chiropractic medicine is such quackery why do professional athletic teams, Olympic teams, professional rodeoes, professional wrestling and college sport teams employ chicropractors to work with the athletes?

It might be helpful if you did some research on the subject of chicropractic medicine and its value.

Every profession and skill has quacks and trained experts.

13-Aug-18
Well..... a good thing the x-rays stopped at the hip...... x-rays, um, TMI sometimes.......

Hope it helps, those rib injuries can take a long time sometimes. Can hurt just to breath.... laughing is not funny.... and a sneeze is a real adventure....good luck and get well!

13-Aug-18
Mark it on the calendar. Popgun and I agree on something.

13-Aug-18
I can tell you this... when I took my little wiener dog to the chiropractor after she hurt her back, I'm a believer! He adjusted her and sets her down on the floor... before you could snap your fingers, she was crapping all over the doc office. He adjusted something right because she hadn't pooped in 4 days.

13-Aug-18
^^^^^^^^^^ I ain't never goin to no chiropractor again ! (Please forgive the grammar)

13-Aug-18
I had lower back pain a few years ago. Went to a chiropractor for about six adjustments. My back got better, but I’m not sure the adjustments helped. On what was to be my last visit, they said we need you back in two weeks. I told them “ I’m good” and am not coming back, and I walked out. Two weeks later, I got a voice mail wondering why I missed my appointment. I never returned he call. They will treat you as long as you are willing to come to the,

13-Aug-18
The chiropractor I used to go to was one of the go-to guys for PRCA events, including the NFR. He could straighten you out pretty quick and never wanted to see you more than once for an issue. He told me a good chiropractor will not tell you there's a need a long series of treatments.

And yeah, those displaced ribs hurt like HELL!

13-Aug-18
I have an excellent chiropractor who has kept me off the operating table, and keeps me from back pain. At 62, and still lifting heavy weights, having the back in tune has been a real improvement. He got rid of hip pain I've had for years. So, like a lot of other professions, there are good and there are bad.

14-Aug-18
And you guys probably feel better from taking sugar pills. First off there is NOTHING short of surgery to correct a herniated disk. A disk is a membrane that is filled with a crabmeat like material on the outer band with a jellylike inner. When the membrane weakens and herniates or ruptures that material is released into the nerve channel. NOTHING a chiropractor does can remove that material.

You all seem to miss the last sentence...."glorified massage therapists". They are putting there hands on you. They manipulate your body much in the way a trained massage therapist does. Just like physical therapy, you are being forced to stretch and do exercise that you normally wouldn`t do. But hey....if YOU think it helps you, have at it. LOL

14-Aug-18
It's true that a herniated disk or ruptured disk can only be repaired through surgery. But I don't see where this is being discussed in the post. I did have three bulging disc and small piece that was broken off. My Chiropractor was able to correct my bulging disc problem over time with certain stretching and exercises and drinking plenty of water but he told me that the piece broken of could only be fixed with surgery. (Or, I could just endure the pain for a while and hope that the piece would lodge itself in a manner that would not cause pain and eventually the body could possibly re-absorb the material.) I choose that latter and now I am pain free without the surgery. Of course the surgeon said the pain would never go away and it would only get worse with time. Both could have been right or wrong.

14-Aug-18
Um, that X-ray is normal. Can't comment on the clinical diagnosis.

14-Aug-18
For those of you with a positive experience with a chiropractor, what chronic condition was healed? I get it if you slip on ice or are hit from behind you can have issues that can be manipulated so realign. That is not a chronic condition. Chronic would be a knee that buckles under weight, an inflamed joint, a disc that has bulged, etc. My impression from a buddy in the biz is he makes a significant markup on full set of x-rays and then locks in an annuity of 1 to 2 times a week manipulations per client. Takes in a lot of cash and seems his math fails him when totals up cash receipts at tax time. He is a nice guy. Massage therapist is 99.9% of his role and he is candid about it. He provides a service that is legal and provides relief. As would a legit masseuse. He would never claim to heal chronic issues. He does sometimes spot anomalies on x-rays that have included masses that are sometimes cancer. So, not a charlatan. Not a healer, either.

14-Aug-18
Lung$hot, Just about everyone has one leg shorter than the other. Easy to fix. The rib is a real pain when breathing. I had a PT guy set mine back in place several times. Unfortunately, he got killed racing bikes in the mountains. He would put pressure on the rib and have me take deep breaths, then put more pressure and hold it while I took more deep breaths. I could feel it slip back into place. So, it is possible to set those out of place ribs.

14-Aug-18
That`s part of the point "Ohiohunter".....how does your L/4 and L/5 "lock up". Physically they can`t. Most people claim to have injuries they don`t even have or know to a certainty what is the diagnosed aliment. I have had about a dozen major orthopedic surgeries on just about every part of my body. If I overdue something and I am in pain my wife can massage the area and I will FEEL BETTER. Anytime a area receives "manipulation" you will feel better

14-Aug-18
I have had good luck with Chiropractors for many years when I need to see one.

Any chance you could add something inside your short leg boot lung$hot?

I hope it plays out well for ya.

Good luck, Robb

14-Aug-18
You are looking a little crooked there. With one leg shorter did your chiropractor say anything about your sacroiliac joint? I had mine go out digging a hole to put in a kiddy pool (waterhole) a couple of weeks ago. It took me 1/2 hour to get out of bed. My chiro helped. Never ever reach and lift lol.

Chiros are helpful but there are some quacks out there. Years ago I had one tell me my leg was shorter and he wanted me to buy this special lift he was selling. I got a second opinion and they said he was nuts.

14-Aug-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
I never knew chiropractors were such a hot button issue.

When I was in college my girlfriend at the time sister was a chiropractor. The sister was wicked smart, but also a little nutty and not afraid to share her anti vaccine stance with anyone who would listen.

I think if the person who is getting treatment sees value in the treatment, then go for it. Just don't tell me it is the cure all for everything.

https://youtu.be/CNLtMfh4HmY

14-Aug-18
The "shorter leg" thing is a mostly a fallacy, my wife is a D.O. and she hears it all the time, likely the sacrum is out of whack...Franklin, surgery is NOT the cure-all for everything, I'm glad you like being sliced and diced and keeping your ortho guy up to date on his expensive car payments though, I'll pass on that!

14-Aug-18
My right leg is short by about 1/2" due a shattered pelvis. Nearly 30 years later, during the first visit to a chiropractor, he identified my hips moved incorrectly during a test. A few pops later and three follow-up visits, things are a bit better.

14-Aug-18
"The first thing we need to do is remove that nasty lump from your wallet." :-/

14-Aug-18
I've used chiropractic for the past 21 years....80% of the time it fixes what ails me!

Mark

14-Aug-18
I visit a chiropractor at least once a year. Typically right after elk season so I can walk straight again

14-Aug-18

grossklw's Link
Every profession has quacks and experts indeed. If you're seeing a chiro that is still "putting things back into place", then unfortunately you're seeing the former. A good skilled evidenced based chiropractor and evidenced based PT look very very similar. PT's go down the same BS rabbit holes, ilium's don't get stuck, craniosacral therapy is nonsense, and visceral manipulations are laughable.

14-Aug-18
"I visit a chiropractor at least once a year. Typically right after elk season so I can walk straight again"

It's the opposite for me, I had a left SI joint that wouldn't crack for the Chiropractor...elk hunt straightened everything right out!

14-Aug-18
My left SI joint is out (per X rays) right now...have done Chiro, Masseuse, stretching, yoga, mechanical massager....pain in the a$$!

Headed in for a cortisone shot in the AM...moose hunt in 6 weeks!

Mark

• Sitka Gear