Jasper 23-Aug-18
Nick Muche 23-Aug-18
Pete In Fairbanks 23-Aug-18
Rut Nut 23-Aug-18
'Ike' (Phone) 24-Aug-18
BagginBigguns 24-Aug-18
Bigpizzaman 24-Aug-18
23-Aug-18
Was just wondering if you are going to be in the path of this storm? I was going to just PM you but I am sure many Bowsiters are curious too. God Bless buddy.

23-Aug-18
Hoping and praying all is/will be fine!

23-Aug-18
TD, Hang on!!

23-Aug-18
Hunker down. Stay Safe.

23-Aug-18
Riding out the storm sounds like more fun that actually is. Stay safe.

23-Aug-18
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Got both pockets full of rocks..... that should do it....

At work killing time right now, town is pretty slow, lots of places closed. Nothing much on Maui so far.... some rain. Surf is pretty wild, closed out in places. Trades just laid down an hour or two ago, no wind at all right now but the direction is going to change soon. Main storm not supposed to show for another few hours, tonight could be interesting. Hard to say. It's a YUGE storm some 300+ miles across I've heard. It's losing some pop, winds yesterday were 155 mph at cat 4, down to a breezy 130 today and a cat 3. Tourists are pretty freaked, bailing out by the droves. They are talking about closing the airport tonight.

Big Isle starting to getting some wind and a ton of rain, 16+ inches in places last night. They are calling for 24" on Maui tonight and tomorrow and a crapload of wind, whatever it turns out to be. Strange storm, moving super slow, down to 6 or 7 mph. Meaning if it hits it's gonna hang out and pound us around for a while. Hopefully it turns west a bit sooner than predicted, or continues to weaken.

Normally the mountains here tear em up pretty quickly, disrupt the wind patterns. On the mainland in FL and the gulf the storms hardly know they hit land, may not be a mountain for hundreds of miles. Here we have a couple of 14,000 ft mountains and a 10,000 that pop straight up out of the middle of the ocean. Last year the Big Isle was hit head on and she blew it up in a matter of a couple hours, was pretty wild to see on the satellite in real time. This one looped around....

Poor Big Isle, volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes..... if I saw a swarm of locusts I think I'd get out of there.....

I'm pretty set I think, we always have a "prepper" kit ready, vehicles are topped off, gas cans all full, brought home a couple propane tanks.... sometimes it's a great advantage to be a hunter with lots of the right kind of gear on hand and hopefully some survival skills.... a good deal of the folks around are really clueless. Saved one of my generators for myself, all my others are rented out, not a generator left in any store on the island. No propane canisters left, bottled water, etc.

Several other bowsite guys here in HI, 808 and those..... hope they all fare well. Cutting out of work early I think. Gotta go set up a tent in the backyard for some field testing..... and in case it keeps moving slow we booked a mountain area for today, seriously thinking of gettin' a hunt in this afternoon (ranch called us crazy, can you believe that?)..... animals should be out feeding early. Just have to make sure you put good lick on em..... don't want to be out tonight with a headlamp....

Thanks again for the thoughts..... take care!

23-Aug-18
Stay safe, Tom!

23-Aug-18
"Gotta go set up a tent in the backyard for some field testing..... "

LMAOROTF !! "Yeah. I'm setting up the tent, honey! There aren't many opportunities like a typhoon to get in some 'real world' testing!"

I suspect that I've seen the same resulting "look" come from my wife.

Stay safe Tom. Have fun. Good luck on your crazy ranch hunt.

23-Aug-18
Good deal. I hope all the other bowsiters in HI are safe too.

23-Aug-18
Hang in there, Tom! Let us know how that tent holds up!

23-Aug-18
It's not a REAL test unless you're IN the tent!

23-Aug-18
Hang in there amigo!

23-Aug-18
Prayers sent TD!

23-Aug-18
Be safe!

23-Aug-18
I fly in on Sept 20.

That should give you enough time to get things swept up and cleaned off!

Pete

23-Aug-18
Hey TD- think you could do a Semi-Live Field Test of the Tent thread???!!! ;-)

But seriously, take care and be safe!

24-Aug-18
^^^ This....Stay safe Tom!

24-Aug-18
>> Hey TD- think you could do a Semi-Live Field Test of the Tent thread???!!! ;-) <<

I think this deserves a live webcam.

24-Aug-18
Stay safe brother! Put a “Good Lick” on them for me!

• Sitka Gear