Jaquomo 30-Aug-18
Rut Nut 30-Aug-18
skookumjt 30-Aug-18
Kevin Dill 30-Aug-18
altitude sick 30-Aug-18
altitude sick 30-Aug-18
Ellis7611 30-Aug-18
23-Aug-18
I'm looking for an insurance policy that covers the costs of air ambulances and ambulance services to supplement by medical policy. Specifically, I'm looking for insurance that covers the balance of these charges.

Without going into a lot of details, I was injured while hunting that required both EMS/Ambulance services. They took me to a waiting helicopter. Since the call were initiated and dispatched through 911, everything happened at once.

At any rate my insurance company did not cover all of the cost of the helicopter ride. I spoke with Ripcord about their insurance. Everything needs to be coordinated through them. I can see where that would work, but not in the situation I described.

Does any one know of a policy of this nature?

23-Aug-18
Look on the internet for travel insurance. The wife and I get it for cruising. It is not cheap. that said a helicopter trip isn't either.

Terry

23-Aug-18
EMB, I sell this service. I'd be glad to help you. Please PM me.

Thanks

23-Aug-18
I guess Medjet provides that service.

23-Aug-18
Ellis, would you mind sharing some general costs for this?

23-Aug-18
I have AirMed, which covers where I live and the western states I hunt. It was $300 for 5 years. My neighbor had to get flown to town with an emergency and it was $32,000. Probably didnt need it but the First Responders didnt want to chance it. His insurance didnt cover it (I think he was on Medicare). For the kind of stuff I do, its peace of mind.

23-Aug-18
I got trip insurance last year for a Manitoba bear hunt. Glad to say I didn't need it but it was wise to have it IMO.

23-Aug-18
I carry an American Express card only because I think that it allows me to buy through them a Medical travel policy. It is superimposed on your own health insurance. At the time that I started it was the only thing like it around. The card is free and the insurance that covers my family is a little over $200/yr.

24-Aug-18
Thanks guys.

24-Aug-18
Both my Life-flights were covered by my insurance.

But I just got a bill from the first hospital I was taken to. Says I have a co-payment of 4,000+. Looks like it is for the first 6 vials of anti-venom I got there. That’s strange since there was NO co-payment from the other hospital where I got the remaining 24 vials. Looks like I will be calling them to straighten this out!

24-Aug-18
What about the GEOS/SARS policy that is on the Garmin Inreach site for 17.95 per year, is it worth getting or has anyone ever used it?

25-Aug-18
My wife and I added it to our insurance coverage for about 6 dollars a month. AirMedCare Network is who it’s through. Included are AirEvac, Med-Trans, and Reach. Our coverage is through her BOE policy of PEIA. Not sure if it’s a special deal with our insurance or that’s the rates for everyone.

25-Aug-18
""What about the GEOS/SARS policy that is on the Garmin Inreach site for 17.95 per year, is it worth getting or has anyone ever used it?""

FWIW.......I have a small, waterproof Personal Locator Beacon/ELT registered to me I keep on my boat. When I'm out in deep woods/bush by myself I have that with me in case I get in a fix someone can find me or my carcass.

25-Aug-18
JL, hopefully they will find you before you become horizontal.... but what I mean is the GEOS/SARS "insurance" policy for 17.95, it's suppose to be a supplemental insurance policy for the cost incurred during your extraction. If it helps than 18 bucks a year doesn't sound so bad.

28-Aug-18
I've been doing some research on this topic. Basically there are 2 ways to go I think. One is to pay the fees and become a member of a medevac transport provider. In this case, you are NOT out of pocket for any air transport fees provided by 'your' company. It falls to you to be sure your company is contacted for flights because a different air service won't be covered at all. Ground transport fees are typically not covered unless the company owns a ground fleet. In essence you're buying air evacuation only, and only from one company or its network.

The second option is supplemental insurance which will (to varying degrees) cover you for the costs of air rescue (if applicable), air or ground transport to primary or secondary hospitals, and related medical costs associated with the event...again, to varying degrees.

I'm interested to hear additional info. I'm actively looking at options and currently unsure.

28-Aug-18
I just did the GEOS/SARS after talking to my primary provider. I believe it's a smart investment for a great price. A little peace of mind always sharpens ones focus on the task at hand.

28-Aug-18
Below is what my policy said last year for the MB bear hunt about evacs. I think I paid around $125 for it thru my auto insurance company (USAA). They were the agent, the actual underwriter was United States Fire Insurance Company

Accident & Sickness Medical Expense $100,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation $1,000,000

Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: If you are on your trip and you require medical evacuation or medical assistance to return home or to a hospital near your home, you must immediately call the assistance company at the number shown below. These services must be pre-authorized

28-Aug-18
Hi everyone, I'd be glad to share some info on the company/product I sell for this situation...I'm a long time bowsite fan, and on here daily, but rarely post...

I've been in the medevac helicopter industry for almost 10 years. I sell an employee benefit called MASA. Our website is MASAMTS.com We're a membership service that covers every ambulance & every helicopter service in the US, and we provide a world wide repatriation service (Fly you back home in the event you're hospitalized away from home.) We'll fly your family back home too, and get your vehicle (and camper/boat if applicable.) We even do non-emergency specialty flights. This is worldwide coverage. It's a yearly program, so it's designed for everyday life and for any type of travel. It is family coverage too.

This service is available on our website, but it is significantly cheaper through me. I'm NOT trying to upset bowsite, by talking about a service I sell. So I apologize if this isn't allowed...just trying to help some bowsiters….I'll help you guys with the emergency medical if someone will teach me how to elk hunt lol. Glad to answer questions...thx

30-Aug-18
Thanks Matt. This is exactly the type of insurance I had in mind. It pays the balance of an air ambulance bill that is not paid by medical insurance. The search and rescue type insurance has a place too. There are major differences in coverages.

In most cases the decision to use an air ambulance is made by the first responders-911. You are not even part of the decision making process. Yet, you may be responsible to pay the bill. Since air ambulances providers are not usually part of any medical provider network, the bills can be quite high.

My story parallels Rut Nut's story. I was severely injured in a treestand fall and was air lifted to a trauma center. The bill for the ride was $45,000. I had very good insurance, and they covered it. But, they only paid $6,000, leaving the remainder for me.

This is a huge hole in your medical insurance coverage that you can easily plug. Like most insurances, you get it hoping that you never need it.

Thanks guys.

30-Aug-18
So the 129 dollar per year medevac insurance through the Inreach website is a pretty good deal

30-Aug-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Ellis, from what I understand most people’s insurance covers Medical evacuation if they deem it was necessary but the copays alone can be a lot. Their are many policies that are cheaper that just cover the difference. For example the one I used last year in Alaska.

30-Aug-18
Wow, helpful info- thanks

I carry my EPIRB from my boat also and my EPI Pen. I'm allergic to yellow jackets and hornets and they seem to like fresh ELK meat.

30-Aug-18
In my case: I have 80% coverage of (both) road or air ambulance costs as long as they are medically necessary. I also have a $1,000 yearly deductible. If I need a $50,000 air ambulance ride, my insurer will pay $40,000 (80%) less my deductible to equal $39,000. That leaves me owing $11,000 on the ambulance bill.

Keep in mind that LifeMed membership (above) is NOT insurance. It is membership with LifeMed and the cost of an air ambulance is only covered if it's their ambulance which flies you. If you (or someone else) can't communicate that to a first responder or the ER staff, they might request a different air ambulance and you'll be responsible for paying whatever your insurance doesn't cover.

It appears the only way to completely protect yourself from out-of-pocket costs is with an actual backup insurance policy specific to air rescue, medevac, ambulances and related medical care. Anyone with better knowledge on this is free to correct me and I'll appreciate it.

30-Aug-18
Altitude:

There are differences to be aware of between these policies. Many, like LifeMed, you have to use their services, and/or they have to coordinate the response effort. I looked at LifeMed's website, and it appears that it does not include 911 emergency calls. That was not the focus of my initial inquiry. My inquiry dealt with an everyday benefit to pick up the difference between what my insurance company pays and the amount of the actual bill under all medically necessary circumstances no matter who calls for the service.

For example, 911 EMT responders call helicopter transport to the scene of an accident or medical emergency. I can see circumstances where you may have a choice, but I can also see circumstances where you may not. The search and rescue policies seem to be a different policy than what I wanted or needed.

Read and understand the policy terms and pick one that best suits your needs or desires.

30-Aug-18
Kevin, you are correct it is mainly an AK resident type policy. But they cover NRs and I was 100 miles from the closest airport and that small town airport is one of this companies many hubs. They have jets and helos all across the state. I have used Global Rescue, Travel Guard, Med jet. Most require you to contact them FIRST. Not 911,if in country. If another aircraft picks you up without them setting it up. They most likely won’t pay. So everyone traveling together needs to know these rules. That the insurance provider needs to be contacted first. There are policies that just reimburse allowing any rescue But they usually aren’t as comprehensive and are usually more expensive. And don’t specialize in getting people out from Anywhere on the planet.

30-Aug-18
Like EMB says, you may not have a choice. My late wife had an issue at our cabin and the first responders called in a helicopter, even though my wife told them she didnt need it and was feeling better. Luckily our insurance at that time paid most of it so our out of pocket was "only" $5000.

30-Aug-18
Well, both my life-flights were covered 100% with no(zero) out of pocket costs.

However, a lot has to do with how things are coded for billing. I have a $4,000 co-pay for the initial 6 vials of anti-venom I received at the first hospital. The other 24 vials I got at the second hospital were covered 100% with no(zero) co-pay. When I questioned them on the difference they told me it was all in how it was coded. The first hospital visit was coded as an “Emergency Room Visit” and the second hospital was coded as a “hospital stay”, thus the difference.

So the GOOD news is I met my $5,000 deductible for “Catastrophic Injury” so I will have no(zero) co-pays from now on related to this injury. The BAD news is I now owe a $5,000 deductible! : (

Of course I would owe a LOT more now had I not had insurance.............

30-Aug-18
One thing to factor in is that you won't have input if any aircraft is called. I am an EMT and teach wilderness medicine. Typically dispatch will "autolaunch" the fastest available aircraft when a serious call comes in or the EMT/Medic in charge on scene determines it is necessary. Where I live that means they may respond from any of ten or so bases and four providers. You will have very, very little if any input.

The best option is something that covers your copay and deductible your health insurance doesn't cover.

30-Aug-18
^^^Completely in agreement.^^^

30-Aug-18
I believe with a service like Global Rescue. The service is the FIRST call not 911. The service then calls 911 or the closest rescue team if over seas. Then it’s 100% covered. If someone calls 911 and what ever local rescue team responds. Then someone calls Global Rescue. They may or may not cover it. It’s the same rescue team most likely. Just called by the professional from that service. not you or your buddy. I’m pretty sure that’s how a lot of these plans work. The service must call in the rescue team. Or EMT’s I called Global Rescue from the Himalayas and they answered faster then most 911 services. A special forces combat Corpsman answered and was on the ball.

30-Aug-18
https://www.globalrescue.com/partners/blog/detail/Mistaking-Global-Rescue-for-medical-evacuation-insurance

30-Aug-18
Hi guys, just wanted to point out a few things.

The reason helicopter flights are so expensive is b/c most are out-of-network with most health insurances...if that's the case, your insurance will pay "something", usually the Medicare rate, which is exactly what happened in EMB's situation, as he stated above, leaving the patient with the big bill. And, even if in network, you could still have your co-pay & deductible to pay, which could be thousands too...

Also, when an insurance says they pay 80%, it could mean they pay 80% of what THEY think it should cost, not what it actually cost. They use the term "Reasonable & Customary". Example. Helicopter company charges 45K per flight...insurance pays 80% of what THEY deem it should cost...They could say it "should" cost 30K...They'll pay 80% of 30K, which is 24K. Guess who gets to pay the balance?...

There are other services that are tied to the provider, and are great services, but you have to use their company, or you're out of luck. Tough to pick who comes to help you...

Emergency calls/911 calls--with my company, we want you to call 911, not us! We don't want to slow down the process! Use whoever the 911 service will send you, get help and then get with us about the expenses...

The only time you would call us first, if you're already in a hospital and stable, and want to use the Repatriation services to be flown back to a "home" hospital...or one of the other "after the emergency" services we provide.

My program is $468 per year or $39 month. It's meant to be a year round service you own for everyday life, for you & your family, not just for trips, but's its a great idea to have if you're taking a hunting trip too. They average helicopter or ambulance run is normally close to your home...

PM me if I can help you...again just trying to help bowsiters....no offense taken if you would like another service, and no offense taken if you stay healthy and safe either! God bless.

• Sitka Gear