kyrob 09-Sep-18
Slate 09-Sep-18
Dale06 09-Sep-18
jax2009r 10-Sep-18
SoDakSooner 11-Sep-18
Grasshopper 11-Sep-18
Dale06 11-Sep-18
04-Sep-18
I had read on here earlier that cabelas cards were going to change to mastercards . I just got new Cabelas Visa cards in mail today good until 2021. Does anyone know what’s going on? Thanks

04-Sep-18
Wondering the same thing. I got new cards the other day as well.

04-Sep-18
Generally if a change like this occurs it is for new cards going forward, not for existing accounts.

04-Sep-18
No matter, I already got new cards. Cabelas points for their gear interests me less and less.

04-Sep-18
In Nov. the points will also be accepted at BP.

04-Sep-18
It’s for an existing account that I’ve had for years

04-Sep-18
I've had a Mastercard for years that accumulates BassPro points. I was notified that BP has ended their point program with the cc company and effective 10/1, my account is being converted to a cash back account. No more BP points.

04-Sep-18
Have had a Cabelas black card for years but that may end, will have to see what shakes out. Cabelas has treated us very well, a couple times we have booked trips and they will call and ask "is this you?" Really don't want to deal with BP since the time they wanted to charge me money to walk in and look at plastic antlers.

04-Sep-18
Cabelas Visa probably sent you a new card because your existing one was about to expire. It will still be converted to a Mastercard in October or November. I still have my Cabelas Visa but once I cash in the points that are on it I am done with it. I just got a Citi Double Cash Mastercard. 2% back on everything.

04-Sep-18
I am waiting to hear as well but the letter they sent a month or so ago said they were changing existing accounts to mastercard. They would cut out things like life insurance in the event you died in a plane crash booked with there card etc. They said points would continue and could be used at bass pro. I wasn't really thrilled with the content of the letter. I think they are going to cheap cabelas out like bass pro. I am debating sportsmans warehouse card any one one and like/dislike it?

04-Sep-18
Bowrider, I used cabelas points at Bass Pro several weeks ago.

04-Sep-18
Olink, that’s what has me confused. My old card wasn’t set to expire until sometime next year. I don’t understand why they would send a new visa card and extend expiration date another 3 years now if they were going to change them next month to MasterCard ?

04-Sep-18
Can you use Basspro points at a Cabelas retail store yet?

04-Sep-18
I just got an Amazon Visa through Chase since we spend a fair amount there. I don’t really buy much at Cabelas anymore so might as well get Amazon points.

04-Sep-18
As soon as I have my balance with cabelas paid off I'm planning to spend my points and probably switch to an amazon card. I just need to figure out what to spend the points on...

05-Sep-18
I went to Amazon too.

I just won't activate the new Cabela's card when they send the new one out to me.

Good luck, Robb

05-Sep-18
I had a Cabela's Visa for over 20 years and ran most of my business expenses through it. It was a great program for a while. I canceled the card a few years ago because they are way behind other cards in terms of rewards. Also, the quality of Cabela's brand gear has slipped over the last couple of years.

05-Sep-18
Gobbler - I see why you are confused - what you are saying is puzzling. Card issuers replace cards on a certain cycle. My guess (and its only a guess) is that the Cabelas card cycle has card replacement occur several months before the card actually expires.

05-Sep-18
Yesterday the Cabelas' Club site all accounts will be switched to the new system on Oct. 8. Thus, we should be receiving the new Mastercard any day.

05-Sep-18
According to the letter I got the new cards will no longer have fraud protection. As soon as I get back from my elk hunt I'm finding a new card!

05-Sep-18
Olink, I guess that must be it

05-Sep-18
I spent another 45 minutes on the phone with customer service yesterday due to problems. The old Cabela's was easy, this has turned into a nightmare. Don't mean to offend anyone, but I get really frustrated dealing with people that can't speak English well. Never had that in the past. I could always get someone that knew what was going on and I could understand. Those days are gone. Cabela's gear is and will get cheaper. No reason to hang on to the card for me anymore. Especially if there is no fraud protection, as I just had to cancel a card and get a new one due to fraud!

07-Sep-18
I've never heard of a credit card not having fraud protection. That's the main reason to use a credit card instead of a debit card.

09-Sep-18
My son got his Mastercard from Cabelas and Kroger also switched to Mastercard from Visa. Visa must have PO'd several stores somehow.

09-Sep-18
These stores will not exist in the near future. Amazon is just cheaper. Amazon is awesome for the consumers. Drives down everyone’s prices.

09-Sep-18
You may be correct Slate, but I hope the stores survive. We need some competition. If only Amazon exists, prices will float up pretty fast.

10-Sep-18
they changed over to captial one

11-Sep-18
It was always nice to talk to someone from Nebraska when I had any cabelas issue. few and far between, but that made it palatable. I also used cabelas points at bass pro, way back in June I think.

11-Sep-18
I generally pay my balance in full if I use a card, but with excellent credit a got a notice from my cabby card the other day and looked at the interest rate. It sucked! Totally uncompetitive. I am dumping them. Bye bye

11-Sep-18
I have been using credit cards since the early 70s and have not paid a penny interest. The interest rate on them is insane. Lots of people get into a financial downward spiral because of that.

• Sitka Gear