Do you send in hunt apps for your kids??
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
mn_archer 23-Sep-18
Wishedhead 23-Sep-18
Huntcell 23-Sep-18
orionsbrother 23-Sep-18
Lee 23-Sep-18
Charlie Rehor 24-Sep-18
Brotsky 24-Sep-18
YZF-88 24-Sep-18
W 24-Sep-18
Shrewski 24-Sep-18
mn_archer 24-Sep-18
Sean D. 24-Sep-18
jdan 24-Sep-18
StickFlicker 25-Sep-18
grossklw 25-Sep-18
cnelk 25-Sep-18
CWeeks 27-Sep-18
23-Sep-18
Curious who all submits apps for their young kids.

Our son is 8 and when he hits 10 I'm going to start submitting hunting applications for him for sheep/moose/goat and elk in a few states to start building his library of PP. Obviously in Hope's that once he starts getting into his early 20's and 30's he can start drawing a tag once in a while.

michael

23-Sep-18
Utah isn’t too bad and Colorado for all three is a no brained. Washington for the trophy species is a long shot for odds but they only charge $50 if he draws.

23-Sep-18
Some of the youth only tags have decent odds compared to adult tags.

23-Sep-18
We're starting.

23-Sep-18
Yes - AZ elk - daughter drew muzzleloader tag in 4 years! Killed a 6x7 on day 5 of a 7 day hunt. Awesome week together.

Lee

24-Sep-18
Another option to consider is take whatever money you are allocating and put it in a “hunt account”. That way you can take them when and where you want when they get older. Great idea planning ahead as it’s getting harder and more expensive every year. C

24-Sep-18
Yep, in my home state and we buy points in neighboring Wyoming for antelope and elk.

24-Sep-18
Just for resident deer/elk. The OIL species (goat/sheep/moose) are so out of reach for the younger generation, I won't waste the money.

24-Sep-18
Yes, but never did get Colorado points for my son. Now he's in school in Colorado and considered a resident for hunting. Oh, well.

24-Sep-18
I have in AZ and WY while my son was on the youth plan. I told him I’d keep Wyoming going while he was in college and we would pool our points when he got done and celebrate with a good elk hunt. AZ points don’t expire so he will at least have a little start. And he talks of moving to Flagstaff when he’s done with school so that would be GREAT!

24-Sep-18
Nice fellas. In dreaming of the ways I can take the little fella on a out of state big game hunt.

24-Sep-18
Yep, ive been doing it for a few years now

24-Sep-18
Yep, started when my son was 11, first year he drew an AZ strip tag (rifle). He’s 28 and has a bunch now in AZ, CO and WY.

25-Sep-18
what kid wouldn't love to miss the first couple of weeks of high school or college....

25-Sep-18
Shrewski, it sounds like you have stopped applying for him in Arizona, just continuing in Wyoming now? Arizona's species points DO have an expiration date after 5 years of not applying for that species.

25-Sep-18
Just the thread I needed. We welcomed my son into the world less than 2 weeks ago and I’ve already started researching this. Once he’s legally old enough I’ll start putting in for deer elk antelope in WY, deer and elk in UT, elk and deer in AZ. CO points I don’t think aren’t worth it with creep and expense at this point.

We will cross that bridge on if he actually wants to apply to hunt anything or just accrue points. I know if he was like me football in the fall and then college gets tough to take significant time off. At least he will be able to go when it comes time I guess. Anyone have thoughts on my plans for him on this? Always like to hear app strategies.

25-Sep-18
In Colorado, they have to be 12 to get a PP

27-Sep-18
Wy, Co, Az Taking my oldest son(19) for his first trip west next month, Wy antelope, first year with no football for him, so finally get to go together. Will have several other hunts lined up for when he is out of college and has more time, I may or may not have a tag then and won't care.

• Sitka Gear