Shaft 08-Oct-18
ground hunter 08-Oct-18
Shaft 08-Oct-18
Cazador 08-Oct-18
Aces11 08-Oct-18
Gator 08-Oct-18
bdfrd24v 08-Oct-18
05-Oct-18
If you had a choice do you prefer to sit or stand when taking a shot out of a tree stand

05-Oct-18
Every shot I’ve taken out of my stand has been sitting.

05-Oct-18
Sitting if possible. But, I reckon I've shot about as many either way.

05-Oct-18
Interesting question, I set my stands to try and increase the likelihood of shooting while sitting down. I spend most of my time on stand sitting, I figure less movement overall. .

05-Oct-18
I've got to stand. Don't know why, probably because that's the way I practice (shooting down off my back deck).

Makes it interesting, because the last couple years, my knees pop like little firecrackers when I stand, so I have to do it very slowly...

05-Oct-18
Sit.

05-Oct-18
I stay standing for Coues because you cannot get away with standing up if you need to in order to get a shot.

I try and position a stand so that I have a sitting shot in the most likely place an animal would come through.

I prefer to stand for the shot and often stay standing for primetime but prefer to sit when it's cold. It's nice when you have good cover and crunchy ground cover so you can stand before they come in.

05-Oct-18
Unless I get caught while sitting and unable to stand, I always shoot standing up. When you are sitting, you are more limited to only certain shot angles and directions. When standing, you can reposition much more easily should the deer change direction (as is usually the case) and take a different path past your stand.

05-Oct-18
Standing for sure! Of the 100+ animals I've killed, I was standing.

05-Oct-18
Exactly what t-roy said. Never shot one sitting in 30+ years.

05-Oct-18
I don’t think I’ve ever shot a deer sitting down in a tree stand? And I’m only a few away from 50

05-Oct-18
Always sitting......

05-Oct-18
Standing , I usually slowly stand when I first spot a deer heading my way.

05-Oct-18
I like to stand so that it’s easier to reposition myself for the shot if necessary and the vast majority of the deer I’ve shot have been from a standing position, but I’ve shot a bunch while seated too.

05-Oct-18
i just asked my boy if he ever tried shooting his bow while sitting.... he said "no".. I never shot a bow out a tree while sitting... Don't know if I could do it... We stand to shoot everything....

05-Oct-18
I always shoot sitting any more. Too much motion standing when seated in the stand and to tiring standing all the time.

05-Oct-18
Stand. More adaptable to a changing situation.

05-Oct-18
standing---- especially in cold weather when the arm and shoulder muscles are tight and if setting under those conditions, one may not be able to draw their bow unless they turn down the bow weight before hand.

05-Oct-18
I love questions that get 50/50 answers like this one. I am in the sitting group as I have less overall movement while sitting. I dont want to stand up when I see deer so I just shoot sitting most of the time. My brother is just the opposite as he will never sit down while on stand. Both work fine in my opinion.

05-Oct-18
I stopped counting the deer I've shot when I got to 20 years ago. With the bow I never shot one sitting.... Never will.

05-Oct-18
Always standing .don't know if I could shoot sitting

05-Oct-18
I have shot a few sitting but will stand 5-6 hours at a time. If I can lean against the tree I am good. Much easier to get set up for a shot if something comes in behind me.

05-Oct-18
Prefrrably Sitting

05-Oct-18
I’d say 75%+ sitting. I always stand last 30 min of light and during chase action of rut I’m standing as it gives me more range of motion to my weak side.

05-Oct-18
I am amazed at the number of guys shooting sitting does the front raIL get in the way? Or do all these guys have a open seat?

05-Oct-18
I’ve done both, guessing 50/50. Think I’m more stable and a better shot sitting. My stands are set up in very thick stuff and I’m sitting so I can shoot into my shooting lanes.

05-Oct-18
compound-sitting most of the time. rarely Stand & "only" if it's in back of stand. Longbow, I have to stand as it's 68" long. Turkeys & Antelope out of a blind, always sitting too.

08-Oct-18
All of my tree stands are open and don't have a rail. I position my tree stands so that I can easily shoot in the direction that I think the deer will pass.

Whether I'm using a recurve or compound it doesn't matter. I am sitting most of the time so I typically shoot sitting (probably 75% of the time). The only time that I am standing is if I think the deer is going to do something unpredictable. If a buck is hot after a doe I'll always stand because she will be unpredictable and he will follow her. Or, if a deer is heading straight at me I'll try to stand up as soon as possible because I may need the option of being able to shoot from either side of the tree.

08-Oct-18
Standing for me always.

08-Oct-18
Double post

08-Oct-18
I guess I'm in the 50/50 group. I think I've probably killed as many sitting, including my biggest buck, as standing. I prefer to stand whenever possible just sometimes it's not. I always position my stands to allow for sitting shots.

08-Oct-18
Standing always. Sitting in a ground blind

08-Oct-18
Standing... never shot one sitting.

08-Oct-18
Stand

08-Oct-18
I don't stand during a whole sit and many times I don't get the opportunity to stand before a shot, so shots come either way. I prefer standing.

08-Oct-18
Do not think I have ever shot anything from a stand while sitting, I always stand so that I can move as needed for the shot. When hunting from a blind I shoot either sitting or kneeling but most often while seated anymore.

08-Oct-18
Much prefer standing but I've been practicing more from sitting position.

08-Oct-18
I prefer to shoot standing as I can more readily readjust my stance and positioning if needed. I prefer to sit while waiting for a shooter deer to show as I tend to fidget way too much if I stand for long.

08-Oct-18
Prefer standing.

08-Oct-18
Very surprised at the number of folks that sit. I would suppose it might have to do with the available shooting lane(s). Standing allows me to adjust which seems to be necessary about 99% of the time. Of course getting busted standing can be difficult vs sitting.

08-Oct-18
Sitting. for three reason:

1. Less movement (don't have to stand up).

2. Less of an angle

3. A bit more stability (three "anchor points" - both feet and butt, as opposed to two, both feet only). Works really well for me.

08-Oct-18
I like to shoot while sitting, which is easy to do with the compound, but I do not do it with the long bow. I like the less movement, if any, I also like the shot angle, and I am rock solid. I practice shooting from the sitting position all the time,,,,, works well out of my hang ons,,,,,,

However does not work well out of my Summit Viper, because of the front rail, which is why I am also buying their open shot......but will have to check out xops for next year,

08-Oct-18
Stand in a stand and sit in a seat because sitting on a stand and standing on a seat is uncomfortable

08-Oct-18
Standing with bow, sitting with firearm.

08-Oct-18
Sitting.

08-Oct-18
Always standing

08-Oct-18
I have no preference,but my hearing is Very bad and have got caught with Deer getting in close on me while sitting many times, so I have got used to shooting sitting a lot. I use buddy ladder stands a lot and have taken the long top seat off and converted them to a smaller seat that will turn so I can turn most of the way around the tree and still stand up if I have to. Kurt

08-Oct-18
Standing if possible. Sitting limits my shot selection if the critter/shot opportunity where I think it should.

08-Oct-18
Sit

08-Oct-18
again, standing most often as that position allows me to turn and shoot with more ease, different angles and degrees.

08-Oct-18
Sitting, probably 75% of the time. I practice from a sitting position, and am just as comfortable as standing. If I'm in a stand that requires more range of motion, I stay standing.

08-Oct-18
I've done it both ways. At my age it's like sex I'll take it any way I can get it.

08-Oct-18
sit

08-Oct-18
I prefer sitting, but depending on the situation I will shoot standing. I always try to set up where I think I will have a sitting shot if it allows.

08-Oct-18
Always sitting, I cannot stand the entire time, and standing up while animals are present is too much movement. I practice sitting and I’m very comfortable with those shots.

08-Oct-18
I've never shot an animal from a tree stand. No trees where I hunt (ag land) so all of my shots are ground level. I'll stand if the situation allows it, but probably 75% of my kills have been from a seated position. It's key, for me at least, to put myself 90 degrees from the trail I am ambushing so I shoot out to my side rather than between my legs.

08-Oct-18
90% sitting but probably 40 or so standing in the 40 years I have hunted out of trees. I prefer to sit so I set my stands with that in mind. Shawn

08-Oct-18
Standing I think you can cover more angles depending if your right or left handed they seem to always come in to make you move.

08-Oct-18
I'll bet people that shoot most of their deer sitting is because they are hunting over bait.

08-Oct-18
shaft that is bullshit,,,,, where do you come off with that, since I never had baited,,, I will call you out,,, plain bullshit

08-Oct-18
I'm just saying from my experience, most of the bucks I've shot over bait have been sitting, and almost all of my other deer have been while standing. I do prefer to stand while taking the shot, but if you are baiting it makes sense to position your stand for a sitting shot.

08-Oct-18
Always stand, don’t care if I hit the seat on public areas.

Thought all men stand?

08-Oct-18
I prefer to sit and never hunt over bait in a stand. Most of the time I have a good idea where the deer are going to travel and try to set my stand up for a sitting shot.

08-Oct-18
Prefer standing, giving more shot opportunities.

08-Oct-18
I prefer to stand. It’s how I practice but the last 2 deer I shot were seated. Both great shots and no way I could have stood for them based on the way the deer were coming.

• Sitka Gear