Contributors to this thread:
brettpsu 06-Oct-18
Forest bows 06-Oct-18
md5252 06-Oct-18
brettpsu 06-Oct-18
WapitiBob 06-Oct-18
WV Mountaineer 06-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
So this was my first year using only the Gaia app as my GPS unit. It went really well and I have total confidence to use strictly the Gaia app and paper maps for my next hunt. Only issue I have is the quality of satellite imagery. It's rather blurry when zooming in and made it next to impossible locating small water holes. I have the premium membership and only choose the satellite base maps that come with it. Are there better base maps to use? And sorry but please dumb it down a bit for this tech dummy.

06-Oct-18
Did you download the map before you went to the woods

06-Oct-18
I’m not sure how to do it but I think you can download smaller scale maps/images that will have greater resolution but less surface area. So instead of 1 bigger map you’d have a few smaller ones of the same area with more detail. Just depends on what you’re looking for.

I’d contact them for details. Super awesome people and app. I use GAIA a lot

06-Oct-18
Yes I downloaded the maps before and at smaller scale so the resolution would be higher. I love the app but just wondering if I can get google earth or bing quality satellite images?

06-Oct-18
GAIA and Basemap use ESRI imagery, onX uses a different source but essentially the same. There is no better imagery that you can save to your phone. Online imagery plays by different rules than the imagery an end user can save to his device.

06-Oct-18
I had the same problem with several of my downloads. Some were good and some weren't. I figured it was a scale issue as well.

• Sitka Gear