GhostBird 08-Oct-18
elkstabber 08-Oct-18
GotBowAz 08-Oct-18
Scrappy 08-Oct-18
Heat 08-Oct-18
07-Oct-18
Going back to external frame a d looking for recommendations, thanks

07-Oct-18
What's the application? Hauling meat? Hauling gear for spike camp? What are your criteria? Money, weight, durability...

07-Oct-18
Cheaper: Kelty

Better: Badlands

07-Oct-18

07-Oct-18
Cheaper yet: cabelas outfitter frame I've packed out 2 elk and 2 whitetail with mine and no complaints

07-Oct-18
I bought the Cabelas this year and it worked just fine.

07-Oct-18
Kelty cache hauler

07-Oct-18
The older you are, the better the frame/pack you should buy!I have a Cabela's frame, it's ok if you don't need to use your arms for a few days after a heavy load, if you can afford it, Kifaru is the best in my experience, other good brands are Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier. Expand on what you want to do with it and how much you can stand to spend and watch the classifieds here and on rokslidedotcom for used.

07-Oct-18
Barneys Hunter if you want the best... Ed F

07-Oct-18
For an external frame my Barneys Freighter is a pack mule. Packs are like boots though... they gotta fit your body.

07-Oct-18
I bought a mystery ranch framepack this year last minute before an elk hunt only because I couldn't get a kifaru in time. I planned on selling it when I got home but loved it so I decided to keep it. Still might get the kifaru and keep the mystery ranch as a back up

08-Oct-18

MF's Link
Thanks all, will use for backpack hunts, 3 - 5 days. Anyone familiar with the Alps pack?

08-Oct-18
Lots of good advice on the best external pack frame but which one is the lightest all on its own and still gives enough room for hauling meat. I have a Badlands Ox external Pack and I really love how it fits me. It hauls very well and comfortable but the darn pack and external frame weighs 10lbs all by itself. Id like to find a good external pack and frame that I can cut off about 5lbs or more.

08-Oct-18

LINK's embedded Photo
Hunter frame
LINK's embedded Photo
Hunter frame
LINK's embedded Photo
I use the reckoning bag.
LINK's embedded Photo
I use the reckoning bag.
LINK's embedded Photo
Ultralight frame
LINK's embedded Photo
Ultralight frame
My kifaru frame weighs 3#4oz and my pack weighs 2#13oz. 6lbs for a bag that will get you ten days. You could get to 5# with a day pack.

Hunting frame specs and bags.

08-Oct-18
For what you have described, I use Kifaru.

08-Oct-18
Another Kifaru user

08-Oct-18
I've used 5 different brands and have settled on Kifaru as the best combination of lightweight and comfort.

08-Oct-18
Thanks for the info Link!

08-Oct-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Kifaru all the way.

08-Oct-18
I've got a second generation Kifaru Duplex Frame with Cargo Panel and/or Grab It that I use interchangeably. I usually use it with a Longhunter Lid. Very versatile. Excellent gear!

• Sitka Gear