Charlie Rehor 12-Oct-18
Ucsdryder 12-Oct-18
08-Oct-18

Big Fin's embedded Photo
20 year dream fulfilled.
Big Fin's embedded Photo
20 year dream fulfilled.
I'll let the picture tell the story.

Met the other non-resident tagholder, Jim ( can't remember his Bowsite handle). I suspect he is going to arrow a Whopper, with the effort he is giving.

So many have asked, so in advance, here is the setup details.

43 yards, arrow broke in offside shoulder. Bone Broadhead 125 grain. Full Metal Jackets with total arrow weight just under 500. BowTech Realm at 60#. Black Gold Ascent with three pins (20, 30, 40). Tightspot quiver. Ripcord rest.

Four amazing guys in camp to make it one of my most memorable hunts ever.

Video on our YouTube channel in the next few weeks.

Wishing Jim great luck in the days ahead.

08-Oct-18
Once again… You’re the friggin man Randy!

08-Oct-18
Stud bull! Congrats!

08-Oct-18
Short and sweet Randy! You seem to be a happy person, but that smile is a 12 on a 1-10 scale! It says it all. Congratulations!

08-Oct-18
Randy,

Congratulations! For those of us who don't know the backstory, could you give us the state and area details, how long it took to get the tag, etc? This is #1 on my bucket list. Thx.

08-Oct-18
Great job Randy! That smile says it all. love your video's. did you film this one as well?

08-Oct-18
Well done...............

08-Oct-18
Awesome! Great buffalo, Randy! That is a very special hunt, for sure.

The other NR is Jim Willems. JSW. He has already had a dream season and this one will just put it over the top! He is definitely a hard core bow hunter!

Hopefully get the chance in a year or two... Got a pile of bison points and should be getting close!

08-Oct-18
Freakin awesome...congrats Randy. Looking forward to the video!

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy! Smile says it all.

08-Oct-18
HUGE congrats Randy!

Look forward to the YouTube!

Did you shoot any grouse:)?!

Mark

08-Oct-18
999 out of a 1000 people have no clue how big those things are. Walking up on one is unreal. Great job. Massive and with a bow Wow

08-Oct-18
Excellent! Congrats Randy!

Kevin from PA also has a Utah Bison Tag! Good luck guys!

08-Oct-18
Great bull congrats! I can't wait for the video.

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy! Can't wait to see the Video. Been sitting on 20 points. Maybe it is about time to get into the draw.

08-Oct-18
Congrats great looking animal and tasty Lewis

08-Oct-18
Awesome Randy!!!! What a BEAST!!!!

08-Oct-18
Thats a whole lotta steaks and burger!! Congrats Randy!

08-Oct-18
Awesome. Congrats on a dream come true!

08-Oct-18
Congratulations on your fair chase archery bull bison! That is quite a notable accomplishment to say the least.

08-Oct-18
How many trips to haul that thing out? Congrats! I’m around 20 points myself. Gets the blood flowing fo show!

08-Oct-18
Beautiful Bull. Congrats on a super trophy.

Did you get to witness the herd “circling” the injured animal?

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy . What a animal !! Hunt

08-Oct-18
Way to Go Randy!!!! congrats on an awesome animal.

08-Oct-18
CONGRATS!

08-Oct-18
So cool! Congrats Randy

08-Oct-18
Great smile Randy, awesome when you can see the true excitement! Really enjoy your videos also. Look forward to watching this! Congrats on a beauty

08-Oct-18
WOW, congrats on the Beast!

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy! Why didn't you shoot a big one? ;)

08-Oct-18
Congrats, Randy!

Looking forward to watching that hunt.

08-Oct-18
Congrats buddy. Looking forward to seeing the video.

08-Oct-18
Grats Randy!! Still swear you had a twin in Sheridan.

08-Oct-18
Grats Randy! Great bull! Looking forward to the video.

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy!!! Thankful for how you advocate for what is a passion for all of us here at Bowsite: Hunting! Pete

08-Oct-18
Congrats!

08-Oct-18
When I first saw the picture, I thought you were standing behind a semi truck. And then on a second look, it was actually 50 ton dump truck. Anyway, nice hunt. Paul

08-Oct-18
Congrats Randy ! Dreams do come true......

08-Oct-18
Your living the dream Randy, congrats man.

08-Oct-18
Way to go Randy!

08-Oct-18
Randy, Can you share with us the logistic details of getting your Bison cut up, hauled out and to a processor? Did you have help? Did you perform gutless, use a tractor/loader, etc? Thanks

08-Oct-18
Well done!! Looking forward to the video, but in the meanwhile, do you have a photo taken from the front that you could also post?

08-Oct-18
Congratulations Randy! I know well the feeling, having been one of the fortunate few & drew a Henry's cow tag 6 years ago. They are amazing animals in a special place.

09-Oct-18
Congrats Randy! Love that photo too!

09-Oct-18
Congrats!

09-Oct-18
So awesome! You’ve been piling up the bucket list hunts the last couple years!

09-Oct-18
Sweet bull, congrats. How many chopper mits you think you can get out of that hide!!

09-Oct-18
Outstanding, Congratulations. Jim Willems has the tag... Ed F

09-Oct-18
That smile says it all. Congratulations. Happy to see you knocking out some life dreams this year.

09-Oct-18
Congrats! Heck of an animal!

09-Oct-18
What an awesome animal! Congrats!

09-Oct-18

Big Fin's embedded Photo
125 grain Bone Broadhead on a FMJ arrow
Big Fin's embedded Photo
125 grain Bone Broadhead on a FMJ arrow
Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the kind comments. Got home at 1:30 this morning and the day has been spent taking care of meat and dejunking what is a big wet muddy mess that normally looks like my truck and my camp gear.

Anyhow, to answer a few of the questions.

I drew with 19 points. There were three of us at that point level and I was the lucky one of three. Jim told me he had 17 points, so it seem I drew the bonus tag and he drew the random tag. When we post the day-by-day videos on YouTube, I suspect you guys sitting at 20+ points will consider burning those points.

The peculiar part is that this bison came off the top of the ridge line that is around 10,600'. He traveled with three other bulls, down the ridge, using the same trail as two bulls I stalked the night before, so I had a pretty good idea of where they might go.

We left the truck and started hiking up to the top of the aspen grove where the trail entered. Unknown to me, while we were hiking, the bison had been moving faster than expected and caught us off guard. Thankfully the camera guy saw one of them staring at us through the aspens. Knowing something was not right, they started moving to our left into some pinions above us.

We shadowed them as they sidehilled, finally being presented a shot as the trailing bull (fortunately the biggest of the four), stopped to see where his buddies were heading. That gave me my chance.

At first I thought I had a complete pass through. It was a slightly uphill angle and slightly quartering away. End result was an angle higher than I anticipated, taking out the near-side lung and burying into the shoulder blade on the opposite side.

The bull traveled over 400 yards in the time he was on his feet. Ironically, we had brought four llamas for packing out a bison we thought would like be taken on a high ridge or down in a canyon. The bull expired just above one of the many roads that terrace the Henry Mountains, resulting in no need for the llamas. So, the pack out was not even a true "pack out."

We did the gutless method, but that requires some serious adaptation for an animal the size of a bison. We did an entire YouTube video on this process, but here is the quick detail. First came the top-side front shoulder, then the hind quarter, then the ridiculously long backstrap, then all the trim from that side, including neck meat. We then opened the flank and took the huge flank steak, giving us room to get the tenderloins, caul fat, liver, and kidneys. Then we used my friend's sawsall to cut the ribs and brisket off the top, allowing us access to the heart and more trim on the neck. We now rolled over the remaining half of the bison, repeating the process on the other side, leaving nothing but a spine and pelvic bone (and one huge gut pile).

Camera crew is sorting/editing over 2,000 images of the hunt, so when they are done I will try to find a front-view image to post.

Here is the image of the broadhead extracted from the opposite shoulder blade. He broke off most the shaft and I never did find it. Too much meat to get taken care of to spend a lot of time looking for broken arrow shafts.

09-Oct-18
Excellent! Thanks Randy SO excited for you and for the videos!

10-Oct-18
Can you imagine packing out the head alone?

10-Oct-18
That's alot ot meat! Simply awesome, probably still smiling from that one. Ever consider a "Hunt with Randy" for us Bowsite regulars? That would be pretty neat. Congrats again and I appreciate your knowledge

10-Oct-18
Congratulations on a great hunt!

10-Oct-18
Congrats Randy and I too appreciate all you do for hunting!

10-Oct-18

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
Congratulations again on a great bull. You got it done in the nick of time. I left yesterday after breaking a tire chain in about 12" of snow just north of where you shot your bull. Between the snow up high and the mud down low and 3 days of heavy fog, it's been tough to even find anything. I had 5 stalks on day one and one stalk each of the next 2 days. Yesterday I was heading for a good bull when I got in a bind in the snow and broke the chain. I decided I better get out while I could and start over. I'll have 9 days left when I get back there tomorrow. I'm expecting a smile just like yours in a few days. What a great opportunity. Jim

10-Oct-18
Awesome, congrats!

10-Oct-18
Fantastic animal! Really look forward to watching the video when it comes out. I watch most of what you put up. Really great to watch a well presented, ethical hunt that shows reality for most of us (access, etc.). Still watching your day by day of the New Mexico elk hunt with you and Jim. So far, from what I've watched, slim pickings on that hunt. I really should subscribe...

Good to see you're feeling better than you were on your Dall hunt. That looked pretty rough.

10-Oct-18

Big Fin's Link
I wondered how it was going, Jim. We were pulling for you.

Sorry to see that headache you encountered with the snow up higher. We were hoping to get a request for our llamas to come and help haul your bison out.

We bailed late Sunday afternoon, due to the huge downpour on Saturday night/Sunday morning, as some locals camped next to us were able to get a forecast of three more days of rain/snow. They told us how impassible things get when that much precip comes at one time. They were packing and scrambling in such a frantic manner, it caught my attention and we did the same.

It was 24 miles and 4.5 hours of muck and slime, until we finally were stranded down low where the canyon crossing was flooded to the point we couldn't go any further. It was about 8:30 pm.

Sunday night it cooled enough to slow the runoff and the water level went down a little bit. I was one of six rigs that spent the night waiting to cross down below us. Given how fast the water was rising, we stayed up on the bench. We didn't know until daylight, but some guys down below shoveled for most the night to make the washed out banks borderline passible. I was the last of the six to cross. By the time I went across with the truck fully loaded, the four horse trailer, and a lot of prayers, the bank had mostly washed out again.

I had the chains on when I came into the downhill approach at the highest speed I could get in 4-Low and chains. As quick as I left the bank and water was up to the hood, I knew I had misjudged things and it was about to get more sketchy than it looked from the approach. I almost missed the exit mark when the current pushed me downstream a few feet, causing my impact to hit a higher part of the bank. Momentum, chains, and redlined RPMs allowed me to climb out and win the battle with the current that was pulling the horse trailer downstream.

Thankfully, the camera guys had held the llamas and crossed with them separately. When they crossed, the water was above their beltline and the current was pushing the llamas downstream pretty fast. Then getting them out on the high washed banks was another challenge.

The crossing cost me my skid plate, which probably saved my entire front end by deflecting me up onto the bank rather than direct impact into the bank. It also cost me some of the plastic up in the wheel wells as the truck bottomed out from impact and the chains giving even less clearance.

In retrospect, it was a stupid idea to do that. Sometimes we do things and because it worked out, we think it was a good idea. To take a half-ton truck, as heavily loaded as mine was, along with a four horse trailer across was just stupid. But, I was worried about getting the meat cared for, I had a camera guy whose pregnant wife was in the hospital, and you get a bit stir crazy with the idea of being stuck there for another three days or so.

The video link shows just one of many places where we almost couldn't get one of the trucks/trailers through. This is my friend, Ray, and his 27' 5th wheel trying to get through a flat area of gumbo muck. The downhill stuff was the worst. Coming down the mountain he hit a spot where the entire rig jackknifed while gravity and grease took over the navigation. That put huge dent in his cab where the trailer smashed into it and also a huge dent in the side panel of his truck box where trailer tongue wrapped into it. He also lost a window in the trailer, most the leveling jacks, and separated the outer siding from the trailer on the back left corner.

Serious "pucker factor." The slog out with fully loaded trailers is why the chase/shot might not have been the pinnacle of the "adventure."

Hope you have better luck when you return. You will probably have the place to yourself.

10-Oct-18
Congrats on a great bull!

10-Oct-18
Wow! Now that sounds like one CRAZY adventure all the way around.

Glad you came out of it still residing on the topside Randy!

10-Oct-18
WOW!!!! Randy, that is awesome on the bull, but scary as hell on the ride out. I hunted lions not far from there with about 14-18" of snow. It was pretty hairy at times.

Jim, Good luck and can't wait to see your story!

10-Oct-18
Haha! Looks like a great time in the video!

Nothing like pushing the edge for some good adventure!!!

Mark

10-Oct-18
That boat ride out looks like worth the price of admission.

10-Oct-18
Holy smokes... good luck Jim. Ed F

10-Oct-18
Jeez. What an adventure.

Keep at em Jim.

11-Oct-18
I was worried for you guys as we have had all these big storms and crazy rain.

Glad it all played out well Randy

Keep the Faith Jim!!!!!

Good luck, Robb

11-Oct-18
Damn! Hope someone got video of your river crossing!

11-Oct-18
Randy- You have commented before that you put your truck through more "stuff" than many folks. Sphincter clenching adventures such as this are exhibit "A" why "pretty boy" truck owners (Such as myself) are shocked when we hunt out west!

11-Oct-18
A very big congrats Randy. I think Tavis and I were two of the other 19 pointers. Sounds like an incredible adventure all around. Best of luck with the rest of your hunt Jim. Ron

11-Oct-18
I thought folks only did that kind of stuff here in the south!! Looks like fun!

11-Oct-18
Amazing animal Randy, Congratulations!!! Cant wait for the video!

11-Oct-18

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Congratulations Randy on a nice bull. In 1981 I drew a Henry's bison tag. At that time they only gave 25 tags. But other than that, the weather and all else was pretty much the same thing. I spent over 50 years of hunting with my bow, and I put in some very hard hunts, for deer, elk, moose, sheep, antelope and other species, but my Henry's bison hunt was my very hardest hunt. If you are able to take a bison with your bow on those mountains, you will have earned it for sure, as its anything but a give me.

One interesting note on my hunt, was the morning I shot my bull, I waited about 10 minutes after the shot before beginning to follow the blood trial. I was with a friend, and we decided to just go a few yards on the trail, just to get an idea of what we were up against. We went about 15 yards to where we saw him turn down hill, and looked down the hill and there were about 10-12 bison, standing in a circle, much like you see muskoxen, other than all their heads were facing into the circle.

With our glasses we could see blood going into the circle and so we slowly headed down that way. The bison took off as we approached, and there on the ground, lay the dead bull I had arrowed. I will never forget that sight. Again good job Randy!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

11-Oct-18
Awesome Randy!!! Great work! But did you kill any chickens while stalking these bison?? ;)

11-Oct-18
Congratulations, Randy!! Wow, some excitement in overcoming the elements for all of you on this hunt! But those are the types of hunt you look back on with vivid memories once you've survived them.

I'm fairly certain I will draw the early spring bison hunt on the north rim of the Grand Canyon this year, and I'm a little nervous of the possibility of such weather issues as well. You guys have NOT done a lot to minimize those fears! I'll have to make sure I watch your video on the gutless method for bison.

Best of luck on the rest of your hunt Jim,

Marvin

12-Oct-18
Congratulations,Randy! Awesome bull. Jim called me today and he wanted me to let you and the guys that were wishing him good luck know that he killed a big bull this morning and he would share more once he made it back home and had good service. Dan

12-Oct-18
Excellent!

The third Bowsiter (Kevin from PA) with a Utah Bison Tag is in The Books Cliff Wild Horse Bench.

12-Oct-18
Loved the video. That was some good old fashioned redneck $hit. Good work.

• Sitka Gear