BigOk 30-Oct-18
TREESTANDWOLF 30-Oct-18
EmbryOklahoma 30-Oct-18
Missouribreaks 30-Oct-18
buckhammer 30-Oct-18
Big-Al 30-Oct-18
Treeline 31-Oct-18
26-Oct-18
Well, It wasn't exactly a hard decision, but a complicated one. some may ask, why am I compelled to share this on Bowsite? Well, it has a lot to do with Bowsite.

Way back in 2001, I booked my first big whitetail hunt in Pike County, Illinois. I really was impressed with all the mid-west whitetails, racks and body size, I just had to get there. Those first few years where very exciting, seeing all those big deer. My only problem was the outfitter. I needed another one.

Low and behold, I called this little outfit from the back of Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine. They where very small at the time and really had some great farms, great price, so I booked. Needless to say, I went 7 for 7 in the first 7 years with them until I asked the owners, how can I kill a great buck. I figured since they where born and raised there, I could get some insight. The answer was, "stop reaching for your bow every time you see a good deer, the better one is behind him" ...Good advice.

They also suggested I get my own lease.

Fast forward 5 years. I purchased 3 acres with a totally remodeled and fully furnished mobile home for 35K. Taxes about $800 a year. Well, that was it, I knew where I wanted to be. Then acquired a 80 acre lease. Thats really all one guy needs, I never get to hunt every set anyway. Turns out, I purchased the property and home from the outfitters son and he and his dad live two driveways away from me.

Over the years, we have become such good friends, he's come to NY, we have been to New Brunswick bear hunting 5 times, Arkansas trout fishing, Colorado Pronghorn hunting, its been a blast. Sadly, his wife was stricken with M.S. and its been very hard on him, and he is still a full time farmer. Believe me, I have a whole new respect for farmers and the farming life.

So today, I went to closing and sold my home on Long Island. My wife has moved to Florida to be with her mom for her last days here on earth, and I've taken residency in a very nice apartment near my business. ( We get together and when we do its like date night) Monday, some land clearing takes place at my place out there and we have plans to do a Chalet type home. ( Need the high ceilings for my mounts)

You know, he looks forward to me getting there, he can vent and have someone to talk to about his life changing event, and to tell the truth, I look forward to providing an ear (and a few Crown and Cokes) Its cliche but count your blessings.

So that is the story and how it happened.

I look back to all the guys here on Bowsite that started this similar process, and a couple never even made it through.

Well, they where and are a inspiration.

That is another reason why Bowsite is great.

I just wanted to share and to everyone, have a great whitetail season, mine is going to be awesome.

26-Oct-18

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo

26-Oct-18

26-Oct-18
Livin’ the dream! Congratulations on your move!

26-Oct-18
Way to make a dream come true. Congrats on your move.

26-Oct-18
Good got you! Two buck limit for residents is the best. On stand now in Illinois!!!!

26-Oct-18
Good for you!! Enjoy it all!

26-Oct-18
Welcome to Illinois. Don’t tell K Zimny you moved here, he hates Illinois. So you bought in Pike County?

26-Oct-18
Good luck buddy!! Enjoy each day:)

26-Oct-18
Good for you! congrats on the move. May you kill many a great buck in your new homeland.

26-Oct-18
Good for you Rich

26-Oct-18
Way to make it happen!

26-Oct-18
Congratulations Rich, nothing like your own piece of heaven. Knock em dead. Rory

26-Oct-18
Best of luck Rich!

26-Oct-18
Congrats man, enjoy it!

—jim

26-Oct-18
I love hearing stories like this....good for you!

26-Oct-18
Congrats!! Short bloodtrails to you!!

26-Oct-18
Best of luck Wolf !

27-Oct-18
Happy for ya man!

Dreams do come true--------->

Good luck, Robb

27-Oct-18

Thank you very much everyone.

Heading out next weekend to get caught up in the rut.

I’d like to share some pics along the process.

They are moving earth, relocating the shed and removing this old root cellar from the hill, behind where the new place will be.

27-Oct-18
A lot of us dream of moving but can’t pull it off. For one reason or another. So it’s nice to hear someone else is pulling it off.

27-Oct-18
Best of luck!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! Good job having the balls to pursue your dreams!!!!!!!!!!

27-Oct-18
Great story. Only live once.

27-Oct-18
Great place to hunt for sure (I hunt in Brown County), but be ready for that $800 property tax rate to increase big time after Pritzger gets elected Governor next month. I've lived here for 42 years and we're getting ready to pull stakes and leave.

27-Oct-18
Great story and congrats

27-Oct-18
Congratulations on making your dreams come true. Not everyone does. Best wishes for your wife and your farmer friend. Life has it’s ups and downs but you are smoothing them out for the people close to you and I believe THAT is how you end up with great bucks under your stand!

29-Oct-18

Thx again all, he sent me a few progress pics tonight.

29-Oct-18

29-Oct-18

29-Oct-18
Rich, what an awesome story of how everything developed over the years, well put sir! You are right, many have had the dream & few follow through!

I had that same dream before Bowsite & now have been in an elk state for 40 years! Good luck to you & don't ever let that positive attitude relax, keep that fire stoked!

ElkNut/Paul

29-Oct-18
Congrats, Rich! Very happy for you!

Are you retiring or can you continue with what you do from your new residence?

29-Oct-18
Paul, that’s amazing.

I grew up in northern NJ, where people said Thank you, Ma’am and waved when you drove by. This place is perfect.

T-Roy..keeping my Electrical Contracting business here in NY. We figure this will be a process, so there’s not rush yet... but the wheels are in motion.

I have a great staff that allows me to often run the day to day remotely. Technology is amazing.

30-Oct-18
Congratulations Rich. Hope the home build goes well.

30-Oct-18
Congrats!

30-Oct-18
Great positive story, congrats!

30-Oct-18
Congrats man! A dream we all strive for in both belongings and friendship. Good on you.

30-Oct-18
That's awesome, 80 acres in Pike Co ... your set for life. Congrats and continue posting your pics. Your getting here at the right time of the month but I suppose you already know that. LOL

30-Oct-18
Congrats

30-Oct-18
Woodguy65.... ;^)

Thx again gents!

30-Oct-18
I love it man! Congrats on your piece of the pie. ;)

30-Oct-18
Good job Treestand on making things happen, seldom does it just fall in your lap.

30-Oct-18
Treestandwolf..........unless you are building a house with a basement you might want to think twice about removing that old root cellar. That root cellar could come in handy as a storm shelter during a tornado. Just my 2 cents of advice

30-Oct-18
Good for you! Life is too short. Enjoy what you've created and earned.

31-Oct-18
Congratulations! You are definitely livin’ your dream! Good luck on the hunts this fall!

• Sitka Gear