KY Red 03-Nov-18
Treeline 03-Nov-18
Mule Power 03-Nov-18
Dale06 03-Nov-18
Kurt 03-Nov-18
Trial153 03-Nov-18
KY Red 03-Nov-18
03-Nov-18
Hello ya'll. I've been reading BOWSITE for many years. Finally re-registered. I'm moving in the next week or so, any tips for moving an Elk shoulder mount?

03-Nov-18
Get help! They are heavy!

Getting an elk shoulder mount on and off a wall is tough. Be careful so no one gets hurt!

Probably want to get a ladder for each side and hang it from an “L” bolt.

As for moving it between houses, put it on it’s back in the back of a truck or trailer. Screwing a piece of plywood onto the back can help keep it stable if that is an issue. If you are hauling it in an open bed and it may rain, you can cover it with a tarp.

Good luck!

03-Nov-18
What treeline said. I used to take mounts to sport shows that way. Screw a piece of plywood to the back, lay it down in the cargo trailer and screw the plywood to the wooden trailer floor. Solid as a rock.

03-Nov-18
I moved 20 shoulder mounts across country this year. They were elk, lots of African stuff and smaller also. I screwed 2x4s about 4’ long ( longer on elk ) to the back of the mount. Then I screwed that 2x4 to the floor of a rental van. Worked just fine. The rental company doesn’t like you to screw to the wood floor. I had a can of wood puddy to fill the screw holes in the truck bed.

03-Nov-18
I filled a cargo trailer with mainly mounts two times moving them from CO to BC a few years ago. We just roped antlers off to the walls, etc. Tried to minimize the amount of hair that got rubbed on each critter...created a rope web between antlers to keep them separated etc. Very little damage over the 2-1/2 day drive. Glad they are are on the wall and I'm not planning to ever move again!

03-Nov-18
Some good advice in this tread ... Reminds me that I need to list a half a dozen mounts for sale.

03-Nov-18
Thanks all y'all! Good ideas.

• Sitka Gear