smarba 30-Dec-20
Jaquomo 30-Dec-20
skookumjt 30-Dec-20
Whocares 30-Dec-20
NoWiser 30-Dec-20
Bake 31-Dec-20
Will 31-Dec-20
21-Nov-18
I use OnX all the time most of time it works very well. I find property boundaries to be accurate. I use it a lot antelope and pheasant hunt in eastern CO. More so than in the mountains. When hunting larger tracks of private and land owned by one owner but a chuck here and there. Makes very easy to know where I can/cannot be. We were using it tonight planning a pheasant hunt. I found way points of places from last year I had forgot about with notes about the spots.

It is worth the money if you hunt any of the walk-in areas. Walk in over lay is much better crappy pamphlets put out by the state.

21-Nov-18
I love mine.

I have it on my iPhone X and on my iPad

The Off Grid option is the real deal

I do not have it on my GPS

Good write up Pat.

Good luck, Robb

21-Nov-18
There are very few products that are true “game changers”.

OnX is a game changer.

21-Nov-18
Used it for the first time this year. It was amazing and has replaced my GPS. Only 2 complaints:

Hopefully, someday, the imagery will be as good offline as it is online.

If you try to load too many off grid maps, you will will crash it and have to clear all the chached data. Then you are starting from scratch. This caused me some major grief as I had to dump the maps from one hunt and load new maps for the next hunt as I was traveling in between with crappy cell service.

21-Nov-18
Agree 100% with Nick’s assessment. Love OnX and use it a ton but the imagery limitations are a real PITA!

21-Nov-18
It does not work all of the time for me, frustrating. It is not dead on accurate on property lines, and yes I understand the app just uses info provided by the county. It is not current on many of the property owners, again that is the county fault. It is great when it is working, but I will try something else next time.

21-Nov-18
I used OnX for a few years, tried out BaseMap this year found it to be quite a bit better and there yearly membership is only $29.99 they are running a Black Friday deal of 30% off of that right now. I always had a hard time forking over the money to Onx. Basemap gives you the whole country for a fraction of the cost. Just my 2 cents.

21-Nov-18
I've enjoyed it a lot this fall... But I"m pretty new to mapping app's like this. Always used paper and compass or my gps coupled with those things and maybe "scoutlook"... For me OnX has been really solid and worthwhile.

21-Nov-18
Onx needs a Garmin Inreach feature that gives you a SOS button and a feature that also lets you see the location of your hunting buddy.

21-Nov-18
Is the property ownership layer available on just the pay apps?

21-Nov-18
I LOVE using it in the Midwest when looking for places to ask to hunt. I just wish it updated landowners quicker. It seems everyone I needed to contact already sold the land a Year ago and it still shows their name as owner.

21-Nov-18
Some info that may be handy is the legacy costs of keeping it up to date?? Also a side by side graphic comparison between OnX and any other similar app.

21-Nov-18
When it works, it's great. But, I'm very disappointed in it at the moment. I downloaded the 7 day free trial. Loved it! Decided to buy the Elite package. It worked well for awhile , but then it lost some of the information it previously had. I contacted the company and was told I needed to refresh the app. Did so. Still didn't work. Was told I needed to update the app. Did so. Still didn't work. Was told not all counties supply the information they request. I responded that I HAD the information before. So, they obviously had it at one time. Was told I need to refresh the app or update to the latest version... I'm not impressed with their customer support.

21-Nov-18
I am generally a fan of Bowsite articles and reviews. However, a paid-review of OnX seems particularly shallow when it doesn't even make a cursory mention of the elephant in the room - Gaia.

As an individual who spends a tremendous amount of time off-trail in the mountains, as well as someone who scouts year-round, a GPS is tremendously valuable to me. The phone GPS apps were truly a game changer for me and have added tremendously to my experiences.

I've used Gaia, OnX, and a few other GPS apps. My clear take-away is that Gaia is head and shoulders above the rest. OnX is aggressively targeted toward hunters but Gaia is superior in ever way that I've found. My buddy swears by OnX and is always showing me this and that on it...but Gaia does all of those things and more. My recommendation to anyone considering purchasing OnX is review the several excellent threads here on Bowsite discussing and comparing the two, look at the price-points (overall), and give the free trials of both a go. I have a Gaia Premium subscription and certainly see myself continuing to renew each year.

21-Nov-18
It wasn't a phone app "showdown".

21-Nov-18
I get some yoga site when I search "Gaia".

21-Nov-18
Gaiagps dot com

I need my offline maps, all of them, to show up seamlessly when in the field. I drove the quad 9-12 miles to get to a hunt location, on every hunt in Wyoming. Using the phone for guidance, I can't be picking maps as I go. OnX allowed us to just drive. That feature was the deal killer for competitor brand B.

21-Nov-18
I use Gaia currently... willing to look at other apps but don’t see anything that is a serious upgrade. Nothing against OnX, and the take away message here is something like this: You don’t need a GPS unit anymore.

21-Nov-18
Its good but i too disliked the satellite image. Not clear enough in the field as it is online. I havent yet decided if ill renew my subscription or drop it. Sounds more and more that Gaia could be the better choice and certainly the price is better.

21-Nov-18
I'm moving to the land of heavy mixed land ownership and was intending to upgrade phones and get one of these subscriptions. Anybody have any comments on which phones to get or avoid or is it pretty seamless on all of them?

21-Nov-18
Steve H. I use it on an iPhone 8 and it works awesome...

22-Nov-18
I use Gaia and OnX.Both work pretty well and I’ve tried to compare for the last 2 yrs.Still haven’t decided which to use exclusively.Suspect Gaia is getting more n more cognizant of ‘hunters’ and feel competition will increase-likely to our benefit.

22-Nov-18
I picked up a Lenovo tablet and loaded the ONX maps on that along with my phone. The tablet was great to use with the large screen. I didnt even pull my GPS out after the first day of use. Sharing waypoints is a amazing feature when your hunting with a partner

23-Nov-18
I haven't been able to read all of the reviews regarding the OnX maps. But, this is the first year I used it for my deer season and I will never go another season without using it. All of the different features and map tools give you so many different options. It definitely helped me this season. Love the app.

23-Nov-18
Hands down the coolest name. Kind of like comparing yeti with other coolers. All great and work.

23-Nov-18
Love OnX maps and maybe I'm doing something wrong but the maps I saved looked like the pictures were taken in the fall so it is easy to pick out the hardwoods over the pines. When they use the summer photos which are currently showing for NY it isn't nearly as helpful.

24-Nov-18
We used the OnX app this fall and as soon as I returned home I sold my Garmin Montana 650T. The saved map screen resolution and screen detail was not even a close comparison. Get an old IPhone and a water resistant case and ditch the GPS.

03-Dec-18
Couldn't have taken my animals this year without it.

03-Dec-18
I tried looking into Gaia tonight since I had not heard of it. Apparently I am to old to understand it, so I will stay with the OnX since I figured that out. I said to my kids tonight I should have been born 100 years ago, then I wouldn't have to deal with all this technology which I get frustrated with.

04-Dec-18
Thanks for sharing...

04-Dec-18
When it comes to the name there is no doubt that OnX has Gaia beat. Onx is a much cooler name.

When it comes to reliability I've found that Gaia beats OnX badly. I really liked the OnX when I used it for three years. But, I was frustrated too many times with the maps disappearing. The Gaia maps have loaded up faster and have been more dependable for three hunts this year. I'm not familiar with all of the features of either but Gaia or OnX but I have been very happy with the Gaia app so far.

After watching Pat's video it looks like OnX added some useful features this year. My experience with using both in airplane mode has been that OnX used more battery than Gaia. It is great for us hunters to have some great choices for the mapping/navigation apps. Either app will do what you need it to do.

04-Dec-18
My only issue is that their landownership name information is sometimes years out of date. For example, in the county I live in I own several parcels that are large and up to date on the county maps but not on OnX. I have reported these errrors using the function they have set for that with no luck as of yet. It’s a small complaint but a valid one since there seems to be an issue with accuracy here.

04-Dec-18
Question - If I purchase OnX hunt smartphone app and mapping application on my Droid phone, will I be able to access the app from my home computer via like a passcode or something?

04-Dec-18
They left the most of the state of Montana under snow this year the entire season. That just won't do. I was very dissapointed when I called them and they said they knew of the issue but doubted it would be fixed. Love the app. but that kind of stuff is just not acceptable.

04-Dec-18
OnX because I hunted in 4 states this year. I have the same complaints as others - mainly the fine clarity wasn't there. I started with it as a backup to my GPS, but liked the bigger screen. GPS gets left at home a lot. I seem to also get longer tracks (more miles) than other trackers (watch, GPS). Not sure if that is something wrong with OnX or my phone's GPS? I took a nap or two in the woods and it would show me going back and forth many times when I was inert.

My only real issue with OnX was when I am in Offline mode - it would take me off of that mode 5-6 times a day and then ask if I wanted to resume tracking. Sometimes it would completely stop the app so there are some bugs in the program.

I will check the Gaia program - if it has as good display, then I probably go with it. Most of the places I hunt are in wilderness or NF areas so the private land feature just wasn't utilized.

I had to figure out a way to recharge my phone in a wall tent because I basically would discharge the phone in one day.

And, I know - all of these complaints are first world problems...

04-Dec-18
Zbone - yes. You can access via the same username/pswd that you use on the phone app through their web site. I do that often and it's helpful when considering where to go while at work :)

04-Dec-18
Thanks Will, much obliged...

04-Dec-18
I used it in Montana this year and thought it was fantastic, only to come to Canada and find it's basically Google Earth.

04-Dec-18
I’ve never used it and I’m horrible with technology..... but I went to their website and I believe it says that they only have public land information in my area of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan... My land is surrounded by private... so that’s what I’m interested in.

04-Dec-18
I noticed some incorrect lines (road placement or even the EXISTENCE of a road) is the 200ft and above views. It corrects at 100 and 50 feet. And a minor complaint...I wish the area measurement function behaved more like the way Google Earth does. With Google Earth, you can grab a line and readjust it. With OnX, if you goof up a line, you have to redo it. Not really a big deal.

04-Dec-18
GAIA does everything OnX does and is more user friendly in my opinion.

And GAIA is much much cheaper..

04-Dec-18
I found out the hard way with OnX you cannot have premium subscriptions to 2 states after I purchased and opened the second package. You need to buy the elite membership for more than one state. I will say that OnX did fix the situation for me though.

05-Dec-18
I have used On x and it is good..... BuuuuuuT you must be careful with it. It is only as good as the data base they are getting their information from. Annnd that could get you a citation. I was at the ATA show and showed them some errors with roads and land that wasn't open to the public . Even as of Nov. 17 this year there is errors on ,,,On x with property lines and roads in my area. That is because the county GIS map is only an approximate guide . ( I know my son runs lines for the county ) When I go to the ATA again this year I will point them out to On X again.

Again,,,, it is a GOOD tool but it is only as good as the county or state GIS data base. Land open to to public can close at the stroke of a pen and may not show up the change for months. Be careful. Do your home work.

05-Dec-18
I love it for the property boundaries but the TOPO detail is absolutely horrible and the frorest crop land listings are often inaccurate.

05-Dec-18
I must be doing something different because I've not experienced any problems with OnX. I've used it here in MT for the last 3 years. I've never used the GPS chip just the smartphone version. I use it for elk hunting Western MT, deer hunting eastern MT, turkey hunting all over MT, and upland hunting in multiple areas. I've not used it to find landowner contact, so can't comment on that.

My only problem was the first phone that I had it in couldn't deal with more than a few stored maps for offline use and I didn't have unlimited data at the time which made wifi a necessity for downloading maps. My only complaint was when they did a major update in 17 right before the start of Western big game seasons and a lot of folks apps and data was going haywire (mine did not). That was poor planning.

I use it offline more often than not. Offline use is a simple process of saving maps of the area you plan to hunt and operating offline. I save maps in the 10 mile resolution(middle selection) and have all the map detail that I could possibly need. I can find pheasant cover with it, so not sure how much more I'd need. I guess if you are looking for rubs, then yeah, it may not be high enough resolution. I mainly use it for staying within boundaries of Block Management and other broken up public land. I do use it to mark locations, measure distance, some scouting while I'm hunting, etc.

Features that I really like: Hunt District boundaries Updated Block Management maps, Links to FWP info like hunt district rules, individual block management rules, etc. The map scrolls seamlessly online or offline, provided you've saved your maps for offline.

I'm not familiar with Gaia except for a short look at their website, and first look didn't have me thinking "hunting app". I'd have to do more research.

06-Dec-18
Sorry this got so long, but some might find the information helpful…

I used OnX on my phone for the first time this year while hunting Wyoming, Wisconsin and Kansas. I’m very impressed with it and I’ll continue to use it in the future. I didn’t think anything would replace my handheld GPS but OnX has come very close. I still used my GPS quite a bit in Wyoming but in Wisconsin and Kansas where the property line and public hunting access layers were more important, I don’t think I turned my GPS one time other than to navigate to some previously marked waypoints that I had not yet uploaded into OnX.

One thing I’d like to comment on is the perceived accuracy of the property line data on the app. I’m a Licensed Land Surveyor and a County Surveyor who also oversees the maintenance and publishing of our County GIS parcel map information so this subject is right in my wheelhouse.

GIS parcel map databases are created by taking the legal description of all parcels of land in the county (usually just the description used on real estate tax statements rather than the actual recorded deeds) and drafting them electronically and creating a seamless map of the entire county showing all parcels of land.

To the best of my knowledge, the GIS parcel data used as the basis of the property lines in the OnX app is data produced by various units of government such as city, county, state, federal, etc. and is most likely obtained free of charge or for a very minimal fee and then assembled into a seamless map.

The accuracy of the parcel data in any given area on OnX is only as accurate as the data produced by the specific governmental unit.

In some areas of the country all of the United States Public Land Survey corners (section corners) were surveyed and accurate survey grade coordinates were established on those corners prior to creation of the local GIS parcel map. The section corners then serve as the framework upon which the GIS parcel map database is built. In those situations, the GIS parcel map should be relatively accurate, although it is still not an actual survey. As a rule of thumb, anytime a County Surveyor (or some other Land Surveyor) is involved with the creation of the GIS parcel map and the GIS is based on the location of the actual section corners, the GIS will be relatively accurate.

On the other hand, restoring, surveying and establishing accurate coordinates on all of the section corners in a county is a very expensive and time consuming task. In many counties the need for a GIS parcel map database was great enough that they couldn’t wait for all of the section corners to be restored and surveyed (which could take years or even decades). Some states had statewide initiatives to map the entire state with a modern GIS regardless of the status of the section corner monuments and coordinates. In those instances the creation of the GIS parcel database sometimes forged ahead without the benefit of using the section corner framework as the basis of their GIS and with little or no input from a land surveyor. Some GIS mapping professionals also believe that accurate section corner coordinate data is not necessary in order to create their database. This has been a long standing debate amongst Land Surveyors and GIS professionals. Surveyors say that “GIS” stands for “Get It Surveyed”.

When a GIS parcel database is not based on accurate section corner coordinates it has to be based on something else. This could be a wide variety of things including the location of the section corners as depicted on USGS topo quadrangle maps and a lot of assumptions (some of them inaccurate) could be made. The corner positions shown on USGS quad maps could be off by hundreds of feet and therefore the GIS will be off and so will OnX.

Another issue that factors into the accuracy of GIS and OnX is the actual distances between section corners vs. the assumed distances used in some GIS databases. A section of land was intended to be 1 mile square (5280’ x 5280’). However, in reality there is no such thing as a section that is actually 5280’ long, or a quarter section that is exactly 2640’ long or a 1/4-1/4 section (“40”) that is exactly 1320’ long. Therefore there is no such thing as a section that contains exactly 640 acres, a quarter section that contains 160 acres or a 1/4-1/4 section that contains 40 acres. In many areas of the country the original government land survey was performed in the early to mid-1800’s. The measurement technology was crude by today’s standards and the conditions were often brutal. Corner posts were set in the ground as accurately as possible. The corner posts are deemed correct regardless of the fact that modern more precise measurements might show that the half mile and mile distances are off by 5, 10, 20, 30 feet or more. Most measurement errors that occurred in setting the original corner posts resulted in the distances between the corners being short when measured with modern survey equipment such as Electronic Distance Meters (EDM) and survey grade GPS receivers with sub-centimeter accuracy. Therefore, typically when you buy a “40” you are actually buying a 1/4-1/4 section and it is extremely unlikely that it would contain exactly 40 acres because the 1/4-1/4 section is a proportionate fraction of the section and if the length of the sides of the section are short then every other fractional part (aliquot part) of the section will also be short.

Why am I going to all of this detail…? Because many GIS databases that are not based on accurate coordinates on the actual section corners or the actual distances between the section corner posts. But rather, they assume that every mile is exactly 5280’ feet long and therefore they assume that every quarter section is 2640’ x 2640’ and every quarter-quarter section (“40”) is 1320’ x 1320’. It’s possible that an actual section could be 50 or more feet short but when the creators of the GIS draft their map they assume that the section is exactly 5280’ long and they have to try to fit that section and the aerial photo into the database when there may only be 5230’ on the ground to work with. Furthermore, since they don’t have actual coordinates for the corner posts in the ground, they have to make a lot of assumptions/guesses as to where the actual section corners are because every legal description of every parcel of land is dependent upon the location of the section corner posts. You can’t accurately draw a parcel of land on a map if you don’t know where the corners are that control the location of that parcel of land. Now try to do that across an entire county with hundreds of sections, thousands of section corners and thousands of parcels of land and you can see that there could be a lot of fudging, guessing and rubber-sheeting going on. None of which helps the accuracy of the map.

Then there are the states that comprise the original 13 Colonial States and other areas which were not surveyed under the United States Public Land Survey rectangular survey system. I don’t know what they use as the basis of their GIS and I can’t speak to its accuracy.

GIS parcel maps were mainly intended as a County Assessor’s database used to aid in the collection of real estate taxes. GIS parcel map databases were never intended to be the basis of an accurate land survey or the basis of a phone app used by hunters to determine the location of property lines. Therefore, regardless of their inherent inaccuracies most GIS parcel databases work very well as long as they are not used for a purpose other than what they were intended for and/or their limitations are understood.

06-Dec-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Case in point…

I own some property in Bayfield County in northern Wisconsin. Bayfield County has an awesome award winning GIS. However, their GIS is not based on the location of the actual section corner monuments.

This document is what surveyors call the “tie sheet” for one of the corners needed to determine the location of my property lines. The corner monument is the solid dark symbol in the center and the other objects are the “ties” used to reset the corner monument if it should happen to get disturbed or destroyed. The tie sheet shows that the corner monument is on the extension of the centerline of Pratt Road to the east and 21 feet west of the centerline of Happy Hollow road.

06-Dec-18

This screenshot from OnX shows that road intersection. The waypoint I created is at the section corner monument and the intersection of the red property lines is where OnX says the section corner monument is. Incidentally, I checked Bayfield County’s GIS site and their information agrees with what OnX shows.

06-Dec-18

This screenshot shows the distance between my waypoint at the corner monument and the corner as depicted by OnX, using the OnX measuring tools. You can see that 44 feet is a substantial difference. Not only is the OnX corner approximately 44 feet east of the actual corner, it is also several feet south of the centerline of Pratt road.

One of my property corners is a “40” corner approximately a quarter mile east of this monument. In order to determine the location of that “40” corner I need to measure the distance from this monument to the next section corner monument approximately a half mile east and then split the distance in half and that will determine the length of the “40”.

I checked the distance between those corners on the OnX app and on the Bayfield County GIS and the distance is exactly 2640 feet. I’ve actually measured that distance and I don’t remember off the top of my head what the distance is but I know that it is short of 2640 feet. Therefore the “40” distance will be less than 1320 feet. OnX shows the “40” corner/my property line at exactly 1320 feet east of their corner in the southeast portion of the road intersection (intersection of red lines).

There are at least 2 factors coming into play that affect the OnX location of my property lines. First, the corner position is off by about 44 feet and second, Bayfield County has assumed that the “half-mile” distance between corner monuments is exactly 2640 feet, which is not true in this instance or most likely in any instance. The end result is that OnX’s depiction of my property line could be off by 40 to 50 feet.

Ironically, I’m having a little dispute with my neighbor who recently had his property logged and then pounded in a row of big ugly blue steel fence posts based on ribbons that the loggers hung in the trees. The line of posts appear to be veering well into my property. Just my neighbor’s luck that his neighbor happens to be a land surveyor… ;^) Unfortunately OnX is not accurate enough to prove that my neighbor’s posts are not in the right location and it’s certainly not accurate enough to determine the location of a property line when you’re trying to get down to the gnat’s ass when hanging a tree stand next to a property line. I certainly wouldn’t rely on OnX as the basis of an argument with a landowner over the location of a property line.

I love OnX and this is in no way, shape or form intended to be criticism of OnX. I just figured that since I had some real world facts it might help to educate some users regarding accuracy.

Sorry this got so long.

06-Dec-18
Dang.....a lesson in land surveying. :)

I've a good friend that's a land surveyor in CO and this level of detail is how he'd try to find property corners when we hunted together. I've a little experience with it myself back when I could refer to myself as a young engineer. I've found the MT maps to be relatively accurate, not survey-grade accuracy, but accurate enough that I know where I can and can't hunt.

06-Dec-18
Awesome info as usual Cheese!

06-Dec-18
Thanks, Mike

07-Dec-18
Happy to help guys. Thanks.

10-Dec-18
I have been a customer sense the onXmaps. At that time you had to download the Google earth overlays and or buy the chips. I think at that time they only had Montana and Colorado, but I could be wrong. I love the app, and still use the original overlays.

12-Dec-18
Cheesehead,,,, after reading your entire post so much for Bayfield Co. having an award winning GIS site.

13-Dec-18
Wow, Mike. Thanks for taking the time to write all that for us. I could even understand most of it :)

Greg

14-Dec-18
You're welcome Greg.

arrow1, I tend to agree with your comment but remember, a GIS is not intended to be an accurate survey but rather it is a graphical representation of various information. I believe the award it won was based on factors other than accuracy of property lines...

14-Dec-18
My hunting buddy has used the paid version of OnX for a few years and kept urging me to give it a try. While turkey hunting the spring of 2017, we saw a land for sale sigh and pulled in to check it out as I am shopping for some hunting property. He gave me his phone with OnX loaded up and I walked the boundaries by watching my blue dot locator. There was no marker at the NW corner, so I turned east and followed OnX to the NE corner.....within about 10' I found a stake. That was quite impressive, so I ended up loading the free version on my phone.

2018 I have hunted a lot of public land and my only remaining tag is a state land antlerless that is county specific. One piece of ground we hunt crosses county boundaries and I need to stay on the south side to be legal. OnX shows the boundary between the two DMU's and I give it about 50 yards extra at the minimum so I am not even close to violating my tag. It is the best tool I have used and again, I'm using the free download and not the paid version.

15-Mar-20
Some very good reviews . Cheesehead great invite on how the apps get there data for maps. I think I am going to try it out.

30-Dec-20
I've used this App for several years now. It went from pretty cool to devastatingly horrible over the course of that last few years.

This year I used it for both deer and elk hunting in areas that were surrounded by private property. It was EXTREEMLY important to know where I was hunting considering the new trespassing laws in Idaho that allow zero leeway when crossing into private property. Property owners no longer need to post their property or give a warning.

I completely missed my only opportunity to shoot a deer and missed several opportunities to shoot an elk.

The app constantly locked up/froze. The only way to get it working was to restart my phone. Anybody that hunts knows that waiting 2-3 minutes often results in a missed opportunity. To make matters even worse (the reason I call the app "devastatingly horrible") when it locked up as I was moving along the road crossing between public and private property, I often thought I was on public land when I was actually on private land. Shooting an animal on private property could cost me my license, at the very least and I'm certain that Fish and Game would not even consider OnX locking up as a valid excuse.

My two brothers were having the same issues. Contacting technical support from a mountain top was not an option.

30-Dec-20
I have had problems with it locking on ANDROID when service gets spotty. It seems to do fine if I've downloaded maps and gone OFFLINE while I'm still in an area with service.

My buddy that runs it on iPhone seems to have less hiccups than my ANDROID platform.

30-Dec-20
My only beef with OnX is the massive size of the downloaded offline maps. The imagery doesnt seem to warrant the monstrous megabit size.

30-Dec-20
I guess I wouldn't rely on needing cell coverage if my hunt depended on the app working. Use it in the offline version and that "devastating" issue goes away. These apps aren't necessarily accurate enough to rely on for boundary info. It's not the apps fault either. They are relying on data provided by local governments.

30-Dec-20
Used it all Fall in a couple States and it was great. Not a techy person so I can't tell you why.

30-Dec-20
OnX was complete trash for me this fall and I’m ditching it. I have a brand new iPhone 12 Pro and it crashed it constantly, requiring me to restart the phone. Once or twice on a trip I could deal with, but not multiple times every day. Not to mention they put that damn 3D button in the worst possible place. If you can’t use 3D offline, the icon needs to disappear in offline mode so you aren’t constantly hitting it.

I’m switching to Gaia. It can’t be worse. And the fact that OnX auto-renewed in the middle of the trip where I struggled most with it was salt in the wound. It’s too bad because I have really liked their product for quite a few years, but after this fall, it’s time to move on.

31-Dec-20
I've had OnX for a couple years, but haven't really used it much until this fall. I've completely ditched my GPS. It's superfluous now with OnX

First off, I used it extensively in WY. It worked really well with off-line maps in a large block of National Forest. I wasn't concerned with property lines, just location and contour lines and marking points for me to get back to. I found it not as accurate as my GPS for getting back to a certain square foot of ground. But I found it plenty accurate enough to get me very very close to that square foot of ground. There were wilderness boundaries marked on it, but I'm not a guy that flirts with boundaries, and I didn't find it an issue for me.

Secondly, I use it sporadically to find stands in the dark on properties I hunt in Missouri. I'm a decent navigator in the dark, and usually don't need it, but every now and again I'll get slightly off-kilter in the dark and will use it to reorient myself to the stand.

Third, I used it pretty extensively in South Dakota to pheasant hunt. I was very pleased with the accuracy of the Walk-in areas and CREP areas. I know those places can change, but we didn't find a single property that was marked as public access in OnX, that didn't have actual physical public access signs on the property itself. I was a little surprised. I figured we would find at least a couple of places that were out of date. But we sure didn't. It was invaluable for finding new public places to look for pheasants.

And then we used it when we paid for some access to private ground. We paid for the access, and not for a guide. So the guy set us up by showing us what properties we could hunt on my OnX, then we had free rein. It was handy there too. We knew what property we had access to and where it went and how big, etc. Very handy to plan how we wanted to hunt certain things like fencerows or sloughs.

I'm very pleased after my first year of using it extensively.

31-Dec-20
Interesting, prior to this I've never heard of it freezing up on folks or what not. It's been great for me. I've used it increasingly, and really enjoy the system. Just yesterday, I was trying to access right at a property edge to state land, so I could benefit from good wind and due to a very wet swamp that came almost to the line. It was spot on with that property line (as it generally has been for me.

• Sitka Gear