Phil Magistro 26-Nov-18
Grasshopper 26-Nov-18
JohnMC 26-Nov-18
Hammer 26-Nov-18
LBshooter 26-Nov-18
Kdog 01-Dec-18
drycreek 01-Dec-18
26-Nov-18
My 10 year old grandson wants a X-bow for Christmas and my daughter wants to know if that is "appropriate"...her words. I told her I have no experience with X-bows but would ask around and get back. I would appreciate any help on this.

26-Nov-18
It’s appropriate only if he’s not all ready into archery. ;) JK I’m no help on this topic. I’ve heard those ones that advertise a 3” group at 100 yards are “legit” although a little spendy.

26-Nov-18
You'd probably get better information on a site like this on or any of the dozens of other crossbow forums - https://www.crossbownation.com/community/

26-Nov-18
Thanks LINK. He is not already into archery. And thank you Phil. I'll check out that web site now.

26-Nov-18
Get him a real bow. Lots of great bows for kids that age that will grow with him. Both in draw length and draw weight. I bet by next hunting season he can draw enough to meet legal draw weight and his accuracy would be there if he practice between now and then.

26-Nov-18

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
I got my son the Barnett Recruit because he didn't have the strength yet to pull back a compound.. Great X Bow . Very affordable, Accurate and fun to shoot . Sorry guys but it really was . In fact I had to borrow it from him last season for my bear hunt . I had injured my shoulder and I wasn't going to cancel my trip. No problem sending that bolt thru my bear . Weighed in just around 400 lbs

26-Nov-18
i have buddies who own various xbows, from Barnett to Excalibur. It's all about the dollars she willing to spend. For a ten year old, I would start out with a Barnett inexpensive and quality for the money. Hopefully he will always be supervised while shooting, my one friend almost took off his fingers when he got his hand caught in the triangle of pain, ended up with some broken fingers. Dangerous weapons to animals as well as the user, if money isn't an issue then go get one of those 1600 dollar ones.

01-Dec-18
What is the plan for him shooting it? Is it just to hunt with? My son has killed 10 deer with a crossbow I bought from Cabelas a few years ago, it is a Wicked Ridge Ranger. He used it from a ground blind and the bow sat on Caldwell field pod. Its a very deadly weapon. For us though the plan was always to get him up to a compound bow which he started hunting with this year. A vertical compound bow is much more fun to shoot and I feel they are safer.

01-Dec-18
What LB said, especially on the supervision. It cannot be stressed enough where NOT to put your fingers when shooting.

• Sitka Gear