Blakes 05-Dec-18
Blakes 06-Dec-18
skookumjt 06-Dec-18
orionsbrother 06-Dec-18
ground hunter 06-Dec-18
orionsbrother 06-Dec-18
ground hunter 06-Dec-18
03-Dec-18
How do I keep snow from building up under my snowshoes. It sticks to the bottoms of the shoes. Makes for unsteady pace.

03-Dec-18
Is it sticking to the aluminum or the wedding or are they the old wooden type???

03-Dec-18
They are made of a plastic material. Made by MSR. The bindings are metal, straps are rubber.

03-Dec-18
hummm that is some nasty snow I don't recall ever struggling with that.

ideas from the top of my head

store them at the temp. you are using them make sure they are not warmer than the snow.

If they are a modern plastic bottom then, wax them?

Stay off partially frozen water, mud puddles, etc. water will freeze and adhere to whatever it touches that is at a below freezing temperature.

That is the only time I can remember my shoes giving me grief was when there was water under the snow and it froze to the shoe when I stepped. ugh not fun.

oz

03-Dec-18

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
I'm not familiar with them you got a picture? what's the snow sticking to? Plastic? Rubber? ? Medal? You could try Pam cooking spray.

03-Dec-18
I would need to know more but it sounds like you are taking your snow shoes out of a warm house/vehicle and strapping them on. The warm material will melt snow then it will freeze and stick. There are certain snow conditions that will allow this also. Cross country ski shops sell a Teflon spray that can be used to minimize sticking.

03-Dec-18
Doesn’t seem to matter what temp the shoes are. I think it’s the snow condition. I start out with a cold fluffy snow. Sun comes out, the snow begins to melt and get real sticky. I’ve taken the snowshoes off and walked or rather post-holed in my boots. Same result only worse, like walking on two grapefruits attached to the bottoms of my boots. Obviously, it doesn’t happen a lot, but what a pain in the ass when it does!

03-Dec-18
Dupont makes a Teflon/Silicone spray for snow blowers, plows, snowmobiles, etc. It works like a dream on my snow blower and wouldn't be afraid to try it on my snowshoes providing they aren't traditional wooden ones with leather.

03-Dec-18
Spray silicone.

03-Dec-18
Thanks for the info.

03-Dec-18
I bought a can of that spray...you know the one Clark used on the snow saucer in Christmas vacation....worked great.

05-Dec-18
I had the same problem with a pair I had. My wife and I would go out and she had no problem with hers. I tried pam, then tried painting them (just the metal cleats where the problem was). Still had the same problem. Bought new shoes last year and never had it with this pair. Walking on grapefruit is the perfect analogy.

06-Dec-18
oops, double post

06-Dec-18
It's not from the snowshoes being a different temperature. They will go from warm to ambient temperature before you can finish strapping them on. It's likely from the snow being just the right temperature that when you step on it, your weight compresses the snow and makes it melt. When you take your weight off, it freezes again. Basically the same as making a snowball. When you squeeze the snow the pressure lowers the melting point so it packs.

06-Dec-18

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Keep ‘em cold. Wooden shoes tend to flex and shed better.

06-Dec-18
I am in the UP..... I use them a lot,,,,, got rid of my ash bear paws along time ago, going to aluminum.... they are on my back and on my snowmobile////// I spray them down with PAM

06-Dec-18
I don’t care for the sound of aluminum on cold, crusty snow.

That’s just me though.

Aluminum are certainly more durable with less maintenance and the cleats provide better grip on ice or hard packed snow.

06-Dec-18
Orion, I agree, but I trap, so the noise is no concern, I either have a surprise or I do not,,, ha ha

• Sitka Gear