elk yinzer 13-Dec-18
South Farm 13-Dec-18
Ken Taylor 13-Dec-18
Rock 13-Dec-18
TD 13-Dec-18
Dale06 13-Dec-18
PECO 13-Dec-18
12-Dec-18
Many use our phones for more than just calls/txts. There is gps, and camera capabilities we use for hunting and other sorts of fun.

So, Would you give up your phone for 1 year for any amount of money?

12-Dec-18
If could use someone’s else’s for that year. I’d just take my daughters, teenagers spend to much time on them anyways.

12-Dec-18
Gave mine up for 7 months this last year. Somethings became a bit more difficult and required a bit more planning but other than that I loved it!

13-Dec-18
And miss Bowsite for a year? I get to go on like 100 hunts a year through you guys!

Everything has a price. Phones are a big distraction in life though. Giving up the phone would be tough

13-Dec-18
Don't have the option because of work.

13-Dec-18
IdyllwildArcher Agreed.

13-Dec-18
If it was enough money to not work for a year, yes, in a heartbeat. I hate having to be connected to my phone 24/7 for work. It’s a sad reality but at 29 years old, I’m in for the long haul.

13-Dec-18
Sure, make me an offer.

13-Dec-18
Don`t even own one.

13-Dec-18
Yes..

13-Dec-18
Without question. Pay me what I make in a year and I’d quit tomorrow.

13-Dec-18
Had to have one for work, yes I could give it up. At times it's just another crutch. Seriously considering a flip phone when this one quits, cheaper and a lot more compact.

13-Dec-18
Don't really need one, rarely use one no need to keep it!!

13-Dec-18
Not hard at all. Never had one, don't even have a cell phone. Never sent a text in my life. Hid wife's phone for two days and she about had a breakdown. Just another addictive substance. I have a landline and an ancient answering machine. 90% of my communication is done by email. I probably get 6-8 a day, mostly spam crap. I may get four phone calls a month. And yet, for some reason, I seem to be able to conduct my business and keep in touch with the people I want to keep in touch with without the trouble and expense related to such things as cell phones, smart phones, I-pads and trail cameras. I write and send out three newspaper columns each week and three magazine articles a month-all sent as email attachments. Now, email, I would miss. The ease of writing, editing and photo attachment that a computer provides, I would miss. Digital photography, I would miss. In truth, the wife gets me a $22 flip phone that I am supposed to carry when I hunt or fish alone. Every 30-days, she renews the minutes. I have no idea where it is, have never made a call, not sure I know how.

However, I can sure see the safety side of having a cell phone.

13-Dec-18
I still have a dumbphone so for me it'd be easy.

Now if I could just get my wife to give up hers.......the money I'd save on googlebits or whatever could fund a hunt for me!!!

13-Dec-18
Hate having to bother with it . My Mom is 99 ,doing fine and lives alone. My single most reason for having a phone ,period. Now I still need to make a living . Would already be retired BUT with the high cost of healthcare i have to work. Work for myself. Service grain dryers all summer and fall. New computerized dryers have a modem. Customer goes down 75 miles away i can go online and see what is going on . Have them make changes ,to avoid driving there . I could be 100 miles the other direction working on another one. Plus I keep electrical schematics on phone and don't need a pile of manuals or a laptop. So for now I am stuck.

13-Dec-18
My pop doesn't have a smart phone, but when I am with him, he is constantly asking for the weather, hours of a store, for me to order some food or to get directions. I am thinking of buying him one so I don't have to be his 'smart phone'.

BTW - this would have been easy for me until I started using it as my GPS on hunts this last year. Now, it would be trickier.

13-Dec-18
I’d smash it with a rock for free and give it up for life if I could make a living without it.

13-Dec-18

cnelk's Link
Here ya go - give it up for $100K? - see link

13-Dec-18
Sure would miss our 3 way conversations with you and Aaron. So much fun to share our hunts "live", too. But for the right money, sure, I'd give it up for a year.

13-Dec-18
Old man here. Still have a flip phone and that's enough for me.

13-Dec-18
This thread got me to thinking...........

The flip phone I do have I use mainly as a watch, so while at work I keep it on me for that reason. Now, because it's on me, I get annoyed at least a half dozen times a day by SPAM calls. So, I may start wearing my watch again and then I can leave the annoying gadget in my truck. I go back to my truck at least once an hour, usually more, so it can function for me like a REAL phone that was attached to the wall with an answering machine. And best of all, NO ADDITIONAL GOOGLEBITS TO PAY FOR! Gotta look for that old watch!!

13-Dec-18
I know my wife could. She bitches at her phone every time a client calls.

13-Dec-18
It would have to be substantial to make up for the loss of income that would incure, and further more a percentage of the amount would need to be residual.

13-Dec-18
No, I use mine alot beyond texting etc. I use mine to check on river levels, weather radar maps as the where the rain is, see river levels above. They are a good tool. Even Siri helped me for hunting. Siri where are the deer? They are in the woods. See that. Now I know

13-Dec-18
Just give me an address and it's all yours!

I can easily say I'm probably the last person in America that could live without a cell phone, or a phone of any kind. No problemo!

13-Dec-18
its really hard to get along without a phone after getting so dependent on it. Its crazy when you look at your screen time report at the end of the week! I go without it a few weeks out of the year and its definitely refreshing and Ive considered dumping it all together but with kids its pretty hard.

13-Dec-18
That's got to be the easiest contest to win ever, they even give you a "dumb-phone." Still have a cell phone. Sign me up any day of the week.

13-Dec-18
No problem here. It wouldn't even take that much money. Now my wife on the other hand, would have a huge problem with it. For $100k, my wife would just have to live with me not having one I think.

It is handy to get weather updates... I would say that is the majority of my internet use on my phone, but I could certainly do without.

13-Dec-18
I would in a second but I'm in the same boat as Ike. I have mine on me 24/7 for work. I'm also like Rick's wife (no I don't like guys with beards). I groan every time it rings because it can only mean trouble.

13-Dec-18
i dropped mine in the susquehanna river a few years back trying to take a picture of a 5 pound smally.. The next week or so until work replaced my phone was bliss

13-Dec-18
I've honestly been thinking about ditching it and going back to a flip phone. Spend too much time on this phone!

13-Dec-18
I used to be on my phone all the time too. I thought I had to for work. I am finding other ways. I think they are amazing things but can have very bad effects on quality of life.

13-Dec-18
Gotta make a living so....no. My smartphone has actually made it where I can hunt a lot more.

13-Dec-18
How 'bout 11 months? Give it up right after my elk hunt, and get it back right before I leave?

13-Dec-18
Absolutely. I barely know how to use the darn thing anyway, which means I'm not on Instagram or Twitter to even enter though. See if I can get my kids to sign me up.

13-Dec-18

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I think some of y'all are bullshitters. I'm 71 and have only had a smart phone for about 5 years, before that it was flip phones, before that a bag phone, but that's when I was working. If I give up my smart phone, how am I gonna read a book during the dull part of an all day hunt ? Or keep up with Pat's fruitless deer hunt while I'm mowing on my place ? Can't take a pic of a hog kill and text it to my buddy who hasn't fired a shot. Or send this picture of me and a friend at my hunting cabin yesterday while our other friend was working. No, I think I'll keep mine.

13-Dec-18
As long as I could keep my laptop I'd drop the phone. Unless I'm sending a picture of my fish for the day or the animal I shot to a jealous friend whose wife is crazy, I don't do anything productive on it anyway. Save me the $100 or so a month I spend on the darn thing anyway. If I could get 50k a year to drop it that'd be great too haha

13-Dec-18
there is for sure some amount of money.......but it would be a huge pain in the butt for me. Just the time I would waste driving around lost in the big cities I travel to would be huge not to mention all of the other critical travel things it does for me. My phone also allows me endless hours of hunting I would not get without it......just last week I was answering e-mails for work in the duck blind. I would have had to miss that hunt if I couldn't have had conference calls while I was driving there and e-mails while it was slow in the blind. 4 mallards and green wing teal.......

13-Dec-18
At this point in my life, for a $100K? You bet your sweet bippy. :-)

13-Dec-18
For $100k ... my smart phone would be in the trash can in a heart beat.

I have to have it for work. Not my choice. We seem to have to use every app under the sun as well for instant communications. It drives me nuts. Real productivity goes down the toilet because it is so out of control.

I love a smart phone for personal stuff (my calendar, contacts, texting, calls, gps, etc) but the 24/7 work related bs that comes with it is exhausting.

13-Dec-18
If it weren’t for bowsite I’d have no problem giving mine up.

13-Dec-18
I did call in a C.O. to a couple poachers this year with my smartphone though. So it is good for that type of thing. Two rifle hunters shooting deer on an archery only refuge. Not an easy task when they are within 40 yards and I'm in a treestand talking to the C.O. on my phone. Thank God it was windy and they didn't hear me. Gave them a citation but let them keep the deer. Go figure.

13-Dec-18
It would have to be a significant amount and I would have to get a landline.

13-Dec-18
There are days I might pay $100k to be free from it for a year. On balance, it's a plus, a giant time saver and just plain handy. I use it for work all day long. Life went along fine before they existed and there were certainly aspects of it that were better and worse. If all my customers and competition didn't create a need for it, I would shut mine off a lot more often.

13-Dec-18
I've given thought to it, but the two features I would really miss are mapping and fingertip access to weather radar. The latter has saved my bacon from Lake Erie storms a few times and the former is just too freaking convenient.

I totally get the addictive trait of the things though. There'll be times when I'm just sitting around killing time reading retarded bowsite posts or something and just have a moment of reckoning, like wtf are you doing right now? They can be monumental time wasters, that's for sure.

13-Dec-18
I bet right now Anthony Wiener and Brett Favre would take 'em up on the offer!

13-Dec-18
I've never owned a cellphone. If they worked in the bush more than 10 miles from our community, then I might consider it.

13-Dec-18
Guess I am left out of this one as I am not on Instagram or Twitter, which is where you need to apply for this contest and I have no desire to join either of those. But if they would let me try I am positive I could do it with out any trouble.

13-Dec-18
It would be a PITA but for 100K..... I can be bought...... or rented.... depends on your point of view....

"just a gigolo.... and everywhere I go...."

13-Dec-18
I’m an older guy on here, but ain’t no way I’m giving mine up. Use the camera and GPS often and text and e mail frequently. Plus get on the internet a lot. Am not on any social media, like Facebook.

13-Dec-18
Easily, and the laptop too.

• Sitka Gear