Bob H in NH 18-Dec-18
Franzen 18-Dec-18
Buffalo1 18-Dec-18
greg simon 18-Dec-18
Brotsky 18-Dec-18
TrapperKayak 18-Dec-18
greg simon 18-Dec-18
17-Dec-18
With theft of stands, trail cameras and anything else left in the woods being epidemic in New Jersey ( and elsewhere) I approached The UBNJ and other outdoor groups in the state with the idea that “hunters” convicted of this loose their license.

I understand it’s a long legislative process getting this done but I was surprised that a few people at all were opposed to it when I mentioned it on local sites.

Again... just picking brains to see if you think it would be a deterrent... Thanks

17-Dec-18
Might deter a few. It is the main reason I stopped putting out trail cams in va. Public lands and had several disappear. I even heard a young guy at a check station bragging about finding cameras and taking them.

17-Dec-18
Sounds like a great idea.....outdoor related crimes should carry a "loss of privilege" penalty.

17-Dec-18
Loss of license and we get to hit them with rocks.

17-Dec-18
I’m with orion on this.

17-Dec-18
Why wouldn’t everyone be for this?

17-Dec-18
If you stapled $100 bills to trees would you expect to not have them taken? When you put out out a stand or a camera that's basically what you are doing, so why the surprise? People suck.

I know it's an old saying but it's still true......when you leave the woods leave nothing but tracks.

17-Dec-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Woods... funny you say that...I came across this shed hunting last winter. I know it’s only $1 but no matter what it would have been it would have stayed there. Why? It wasn’t mine... Not sure why someone would leave it there but as far as I know it’s still there...

17-Dec-18
1) don't leave anything in the woods on public land. I tend to think practically, if you leave it you are responsible. I trailcam and accept full responsibility that if someone manages to find my hidden sets I figure they'll probably take it. That said I very very rarely get people photos. I have photos of 2 people one I now consider a friend....I've had one cam stolen. So 50% there.

I carry my stand in and out every day so I have no empathy for the lazy spot claimers leaving stands on public land....sorry....I won't lay a finger on it but I can't say I feel sorry....you left it out there...

That said I would never touch another persons gear.

I am not sure I trust government to get this one right. Theft is a felony already? Right? Off private land? On public land is there theft or is it just disposing of abandoned litter?

17-Dec-18
I don’t see why people would be against it. Worth it even if it helps deter theft only a small percent. They should also look at taking hunting privileges away from people that leave stands up year round and don’t take them down like they are supposed to, in my home state anyways.

18-Dec-18
I have never bought one because I know it may disappear. I only hang a stand on my own property these days with a chain and lock and my name on it. I either hunt off the ground or carry a climber. I see no way to protect things until technology can beat the thieves. Convicted felons are allowed to bowhunt in my State too.

18-Dec-18
The way I look at it ; if i steal your stand and it just happens to be of a hunter who saved for a long while to be able to afford the stand I am ruining your season, NO ONE has the right to do that to a fellow hunter not only that but God has a lesson to come for those who steal!! Not only that if I catch you stealing any of my junk you and I will probably meet in court because I am going to beat your ass and you will probably sue me!! Stay well.

18-Dec-18
My camera and stand were stolen on private property. I’m with Orion on this one.

18-Dec-18
Getting stuff stolen sucks and the people that take it should be punished if/when caught.

That said:

What if the person who took your stand/camera is not a hunter?

Punishment should be equal for all wouldn’t you think...hunter or not,a thief is a thief.

18-Dec-18
Won’t work. It’s no different than increased gun laws that only effect the law abiding gun owners. Thief’s are thief’s.

18-Dec-18
If everyone in the woods were like the people on Bowsite then this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever. The sad truth is that they're not. It's why you lock your car and your home when you're not in them. Leaving valuable stuff in the woods unattended is taking a great risk. I learned that lesson over the past 40 decades the hard ($$) way, and it didn't mater if was in the local woods or in a relatively remote private area where it was rare to see anyone except the other people you were hunting with. I even had a stand stolen one time where the thieving sumbuck CARRIED A HOMEMADE LADDER TO DO THE DEED AND LEFT IT THERE!!!!

18-Dec-18
Not all thief's are hunters so the punishment wouldn't really matter to them. Plus any hunter who would steal probably would poach without a license anyway.

I say punishment should be a fine 20x the value of the stolen items. Steal $300 worth of tree stands/camera's and you owe $6,000 in penalties.

18-Dec-18
Woods: He left it there because that ladder was likely stolen too and he was merely “upgrading”.

18-Dec-18
No doubt!

18-Dec-18

elkstabber's Link
In the future we will see more incidents of anti-hunters stealing game cameras, treestands, etc. Attached is a link where a couple who should have known better was arrested for stealing game cameras, treestands, and more in Utah. Utah's public lands are full of game cameras.

Or, alternatively, we may see more states follow along with Nevada, which recently banned the use of game cameras on public land. At issue is the question of whether leaving a camera on public land is considered "abandonment". In simple terms if you leave private property on public land it becomes "finders keepers".

Game cameras on public property start a lot of arguments, with some guys feeling like they "own" the area because their camera was there first.

18-Dec-18
Thanks guys

18-Dec-18
Treestands left out should be considered littering also with out written permission of the land owner. Getting to be a lot of them grown into the tree. Let alone the inherited safety risks of leaving them out year after year. Also no fan of trailcams the way many are being used today to eliminate woodsman ship. Loss of license would be okay with me.

18-Dec-18
When I hunted public land a lot I never left a stand without accepting the fact it might be stolen. When I could use a climber, that's what I would use, and I would hide it in thick brush nearby rather than leave it in plain sight hanging on a tree. When I used a hang-on I always took the first 10 feet or so of climbing gear home with me at the end of each hunt, hoping it would at least deter the casual thief. My only bad experience was another hunter cutting the foot straps on an old climber I did leave on a tree, I assumed because I was hunting in 'his territory'. the fact of the matter is there are thieves and idiots out there, as there always have been, and don't assume that every person that comes upon your equipment in the woods will respect you and leave it alone. A camera is sooo easy to steal, I would expect to be losing them if I hung them on public land. I have done that one season in recent years, but in a remote enough area that they were not bothered. Regarding stricter laws regarding theft and vandalism of hunters stands and cameras, I doubt it would work...simply because its too easy to steal the item in the woods where no one is watching.

18-Dec-18
I had a sofa I wanted to get rid of so put it on the curb with a "FREE" sign on it. It sat there for nearly a week so I put a "$100" sign on it. It was gone the next day.

;-)

18-Dec-18
^^^^^lol no doubt.

I'm in the stoning crowd.

18-Dec-18
I hate to break it but there is good percentage of hunters that are flat out arrogant classless buffoons, no different then the rest of the population. Against this? No I am not however I believe in the equal application of our laws, and quite frankly simpler is better. I don’t see this making a difference nor do I see this changing the how law enforcers will approach these matters, so with that in mind I think this is more symbolic over substantive.

18-Dec-18
On public land I would think it wouldn't be applicable. If I put a tree stand on public land and never hunt it and a guy walks buy it for 5 years, could he assume it has been abandoned?

Don't get me wrong....I hate thieves but I think something like this would be difficult to enforce, but I would be for anything that deters these slobs.

18-Dec-18
Strictly legally speaking, if it's left on public land, is it stealing? Aside from that, I'd be in favor of it, plus criminal charges (if possible)

18-Dec-18
I think its a slippery slope if you ask me. Plus, if people are just willing to commit theft, why would they care if they lost their hunting license? Before any accusations are thrown out, I've never stolen or attempted to steal anyone's stand, camera, etc., etc.

18-Dec-18
A law will not stop a criminal. Criminals do not have the same mindset of a law abiding citizen.

18-Dec-18
I tend to believe less laws are the answer, not more. Stealing is against the law, enforce the law.

18-Dec-18
A claymore mine and a trail cam are about the same size and shape....just saying.

18-Dec-18
"...was surprised that a few people at all were opposed to it when I mentioned it on local sites...: The only people against it are probably the perpetrators themselves. Why would anyone else be against it unless they do it or know and like someone who does.

18-Dec-18
Here is something to think about. Why would anyone be against more "sensible gun laws"?

Who gets to define sensible. We already have laws. Enforce them. No I don't steal cameras or associate with folks that do

• Sitka Gear