Shrewski 22-Dec-18
Rackmastr 22-Dec-18
TBone26 22-Dec-18
Trial153 22-Dec-18
Shrewski 23-Dec-18
Orion 23-Dec-18
Shrewski 23-Dec-18
18-Dec-18
Here is the link to the amount of preference points resident & nonresident going into the 2019 draw. Good luck everyone!

18-Dec-18
I believe this is the link you wanted to post:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting/preference-points

18-Dec-18
The future looks bright for sheep and moose hunters....

18-Dec-18
Only 621 of us with max antelope points.

18-Dec-18
At 18 for sheep, it still looks like a looooong wait....

22-Dec-18
Hey guys I just started buying points last year for sheep in Wyoming , so I only have one P.P. Reading into things and looking at stats, with the point creep what are the odds of me even drawing in 25 years (I’m 25 years old)? Or should I just stick with other states?

22-Dec-18
TBone26

Do you have longevity in your family?

22-Dec-18
TBone,

You are way behind the game. That is the crappy thing about points. It screws new people getting into the game. You likely have no realistic shot of drawing a tag in the preference point draw. You probably have the best opportunity to draw a random tag.

22-Dec-18
You might have a double digit chance to draw in about 40 years.

22-Dec-18
Looking at the number of guys ahead of you and the number of tags per year you are probably in the running for a random tag sometime in the next 25 years... at like 0.01% on any given year.

About like winning the lottery on any given year! But at a much higher cost... Looking back over the last 20 years, the costs for applying have gone up quite a bit. With the western states G&F departments continuing to increase the fees, you would be better off to just buy a tag in Alberta and go guided...

22-Dec-18
TBone26....based strictly on the current rules, no sheep preference tags will go to people who are just now starting to apply, during their hunting lifetimes, if they have waited until they're in their 20's or 30's to start collecting points. The demand for Wyoming sheep tags is just way too high. The awareness of these high-demand draws is at an all-time high, and the number of app services who are pushing the APPLY APPLY APPLY mantra, are at an all-time high. With no changes to the WY system, the preference tags would eventually go to those who had started very early on, like as soon as they were legal to apply (12 years old), and who then stuck with it for 50-70 years. But my guess is that the system will be changed long before then. Either to a system under which most tags are given in the random portion of the draw, or to a system in which preference is eliminated entirely, perhaps replaced by a bonus system.

22-Dec-18
You are not going to draw a tag if you do not participate. Max points are not everything. I have max point for Mule Deer in Wyoming; that’s it after over 20 years of playing the points game. I’ve drawn some great tags all throughout that though. I’ve drawn Colorado Bighorn sheep with WAY less than max points. Last year, without ANY points I drew a fall Alaska Musk Ox tag. Last year in Utah, my high point species are elk and desert sheep; I drew the random Beaver Mountain Goat tag. Odds were close to 1:2300. I also won a Swarovski BTX in raffle the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society held. I buy all kinds of raffle tickets to support conservation organizations too. I don’t do it to win, but it sure is nice when it happens.

If you want to draw a Bighorn tag, anywhere, you are going to have to apply in as many states as you can as well as put in for every raffle you can. And at that point your odds are dismal. BUT your odds are better than NOT doing all that.

22-Dec-18
Very cool to see.

Wife is a 12 on pronghorn and I'm a 4. Its time to burn some points!!!

I'm a 7 on mulie and no real plans upcoming for that, but will continue to point creep and keep buying lol.

22-Dec-18
Thanks for all your input.. I would like to hunt sheep in the lower 48 sometime in my life diy. After research I feel like it might be cheaper, if I save my pennies, to go guided then play the draw/ points game in the next 20 years. What are your guys thoughts?

22-Dec-18
If you can swing it pay for it and go. You can dump a grand Year for applications and in 15 years be no closer to a tag. Go if you can and keep applying as well

23-Dec-18
1. You are not going to “go guided” in the lower 48 without drawing a tag.

2. I don’t think you are going to “go guided” in Alberta for under $25,000. I’m assuming since you are keying on the lower 48 you are talking Bighorns.

3. If you want to go sheep hunting, you can do it every single year in Montana for $1250

You can go guided or unguided. Either way it is one of, or THE toughest hunt in North America.

These are my opinions based on dreaming and scheming to hunt sheep on a working mans wages for 3 years and paying very close attention.

23-Dec-18
Shrewski there is no max points for Colorado sheep it's all random after 3 points so comparing that to Wyoming is apples to oranges

23-Dec-18
I wasn’t comparing anything. I was pointing out quitting if you don’t have max points is a poor strategy to draw tags...

I’m intimately aware of how every state’s draw works; I drew Colorado with 3+7, there were/are many thousands with higher point totals for sheep than that in CO; and there most certainly is a MAX of weighted points in Colorado-they just don’t help very much. I have 19 sheep PREFERENCE points in Wyoming; not max but I still put in every year. Can’t get a tag if you are not in the draw...

• Sitka Gear