M.Pauls 21-Dec-18
Bloodtrail 21-Dec-18
c5ken 21-Dec-18
Scoot 21-Dec-18
APauls 21-Dec-18
20-Dec-18
Any specific gym work outs to increase your draw weight? Thanks

20-Dec-18
I like TRX rows. Reps, 3 count reps and isometrics depending on how I feel. The 3 count reps are probably the most difficult and beneficial.

20-Dec-18
Any upper body workout will help, but bent-over barbell rows, one-arm dumbbell rows, and all variations of lat pull-downs will isolate your lats, which will help with pulling/holding. Pull-ups and push-ups can also be done anytime/anywhere. Don’t ignore the delts, which actually have three heads.

Regardless of what strengthening exercises you choose, strict form is a must! No cheating! Let your muscles do the work, not momentum. Being strict with lighter weights is much more effective than cheating with heavier weights. It also lessens the risk of injury.

20-Dec-18
Best device for the draw is the Bow Trainer, have one when went through rotator surgery 2x and it can go up to 100#, after going through reps with it you will notice it, well worth the $.

20-Dec-18
Best device for the draw is the Bow Trainer, have one when went through rotator surgery 2x and it can go up to 100#, after going through reps with it you will notice it, well worth the $.

20-Dec-18
If you fish, try rowing a boat. I trolled this past spring n summer. Probably 4-5 hrs a trip. Picked up 62lb recurve to shoot an was amazed how easy it was to draw n hold. Plus was able to catch some nice fish!

20-Dec-18
I use stretch tubes fastened to a post. I do 5 specific shoulder therapy exercises, 2 and 1 handed pulls and also a form of press with them. They are pretty convenient since you don't need anything special. I also work out at the gym.

The nice thing about the tubes is you can use any tree and still work out when in camp.

Unlike weights they get harder the closer you get to completing the exercise. Sort of like a traditional bow does when you pull to full draw.

20-Dec-18
Anything rowing.

20-Dec-18
Heavy dumbbell rows work wonders for adding strength to up your bow poundage.

20-Dec-18
I’m helping a female right now and we’re going through this. She got a rubber band that attaches to the door and has been doing rows.

I’m pulling a decent weight and do a lot of back workouts that help make it a lot easier. The easiest....pull-ups! They don’t require special equipment and you just need your body weight! Wide grip with your shoulder blades pinched really isolates the lats!

Do you even lift BRO!??? While wearing my flat brim over my ears!

20-Dec-18
"Being strict with lighter weights is much more effective than cheating with heavier weights. It also lessens the risk of injury."

Excellent advice. Perfect form to failure, repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll be way ahead of the guys trying to throw around big weights and only doing half reps.

21-Dec-18
You can literally mimic drawing a bow on a cable machine. This would be the best single workout to build those specific muscles up.

21-Dec-18
Push ups

21-Dec-18
My wife and I are currently doing a program called lift 4. It’s quick and will strengthen your entire body. I highly recommend it. And yoga on your rest days.

21-Dec-18
What would be wrong with increasing your draw weight a couple pounds at a time ? Unless your bow is maxed out, which would make an excellent excuse to buy another bow........

21-Dec-18
No need to be at the gym. Best workout for pulling a heavier bow is to regularly pull one a bit heavier than the weight you want to be comfortable with. You want to move up from 60 to 65#? Pick up an old bow (plenty out there cheap) that will adjust to 70# and draw it for 3 sets of 3 reps twice a day, and up your reps as it gets easier over time. Even a 2 to 3# increase over your desired comfortable weight will work.

21-Dec-18
I would just like to point out that our bodies generally do not do well with overdeveloped muscles in relation to what's around them. I would think seriously about trying to build overall strength if I wanted to pull more. The basics like, rows, deadlifts, bench, squats, overhead press, pull ups, push ups, are all great ways to build overall strength. Keep in mind that typically doing exercises that hit multiple muscle groups like these (compound exercises) are extremely effective in avoiding over development in one area.

21-Dec-18
It's ok to cheat with your form while doing back.....because you're using your back to cheat. It's all relative once you start building muscle. ;)

Good luck and shoot straight!

21-Dec-18
Had a total shoulder replacement ( reverse ) two days ago. Very drugged up now So pain is not an issue at this time. Has anyone out there had a reverse total shoulder replace And if so are you able to shoot a bow?

21-Dec-18
MPauls hit the nail on the head! I've also found that mixing in pull ups make a big difference for me. I suck at pull ups, so I use a machine at the gym that helps take some of the weight off. I do them in three different hand positions and it's helped me a ton. I fought shoulder weakness and pain for a number of years before I started doing this. Now, my shoulder is doing great!

21-Dec-18
From all the guys that have mentioned needing shoulder surgeries from too much bow shooting I make sure to avoid off season practice and workouts. Stay safe in front of the TV folks. Make sure the shoulder has had a good 8 months rest come August.

• Sitka Gear