fuzzy 26-Nov-22
DanaC 26-Nov-22
fuzzy 26-Nov-22
lamb 26-Nov-22
Ironbow 26-Nov-22
20-Dec-18
Any specific gym work outs to increase your draw weight? Thanks

20-Dec-18
I like TRX rows. Reps, 3 count reps and isometrics depending on how I feel. The 3 count reps are probably the most difficult and beneficial.

20-Dec-18
Any upper body workout will help, but bent-over barbell rows, one-arm dumbbell rows, and all variations of lat pull-downs will isolate your lats, which will help with pulling/holding. Pull-ups and push-ups can also be done anytime/anywhere. Don’t ignore the delts, which actually have three heads.

Regardless of what strengthening exercises you choose, strict form is a must! No cheating! Let your muscles do the work, not momentum. Being strict with lighter weights is much more effective than cheating with heavier weights. It also lessens the risk of injury.

20-Dec-18
Best device for the draw is the Bow Trainer, have one when went through rotator surgery 2x and it can go up to 100#, after going through reps with it you will notice it, well worth the $.

20-Dec-18
Best device for the draw is the Bow Trainer, have one when went through rotator surgery 2x and it can go up to 100#, after going through reps with it you will notice it, well worth the $.

20-Dec-18
If you fish, try rowing a boat. I trolled this past spring n summer. Probably 4-5 hrs a trip. Picked up 62lb recurve to shoot an was amazed how easy it was to draw n hold. Plus was able to catch some nice fish!

20-Dec-18
I use stretch tubes fastened to a post. I do 5 specific shoulder therapy exercises, 2 and 1 handed pulls and also a form of press with them. They are pretty convenient since you don't need anything special. I also work out at the gym.

The nice thing about the tubes is you can use any tree and still work out when in camp.

Unlike weights they get harder the closer you get to completing the exercise. Sort of like a traditional bow does when you pull to full draw.

20-Dec-18
Anything rowing.

20-Dec-18
I’m helping a female right now and we’re going through this. She got a rubber band that attaches to the door and has been doing rows.

I’m pulling a decent weight and do a lot of back workouts that help make it a lot easier. The easiest....pull-ups! They don’t require special equipment and you just need your body weight! Wide grip with your shoulder blades pinched really isolates the lats!

Do you even lift BRO!??? While wearing my flat brim over my ears!

20-Dec-18
"Being strict with lighter weights is much more effective than cheating with heavier weights. It also lessens the risk of injury."

Excellent advice. Perfect form to failure, repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll be way ahead of the guys trying to throw around big weights and only doing half reps.

21-Dec-18
You can literally mimic drawing a bow on a cable machine. This would be the best single workout to build those specific muscles up.

21-Dec-18
Push ups

21-Dec-18
My wife and I are currently doing a program called lift 4. It’s quick and will strengthen your entire body. I highly recommend it. And yoga on your rest days.

21-Dec-18
What would be wrong with increasing your draw weight a couple pounds at a time ? Unless your bow is maxed out, which would make an excellent excuse to buy another bow........

21-Dec-18
No need to be at the gym. Best workout for pulling a heavier bow is to regularly pull one a bit heavier than the weight you want to be comfortable with. You want to move up from 60 to 65#? Pick up an old bow (plenty out there cheap) that will adjust to 70# and draw it for 3 sets of 3 reps twice a day, and up your reps as it gets easier over time. Even a 2 to 3# increase over your desired comfortable weight will work.

21-Dec-18
I would just like to point out that our bodies generally do not do well with overdeveloped muscles in relation to what's around them. I would think seriously about trying to build overall strength if I wanted to pull more. The basics like, rows, deadlifts, bench, squats, overhead press, pull ups, push ups, are all great ways to build overall strength. Keep in mind that typically doing exercises that hit multiple muscle groups like these (compound exercises) are extremely effective in avoiding over development in one area.

21-Dec-18
Had a total shoulder replacement ( reverse ) two days ago. Very drugged up now So pain is not an issue at this time. Has anyone out there had a reverse total shoulder replace And if so are you able to shoot a bow?

21-Dec-18
From all the guys that have mentioned needing shoulder surgeries from too much bow shooting I make sure to avoid off season practice and workouts. Stay safe in front of the TV folks. Make sure the shoulder has had a good 8 months rest come August.

21-Nov-22
I can't click on it. Why? Did you close it?

21-Nov-22
I split wood with an axe and maul the last 2 years and that has improved my upper body strength immensely.

21-Nov-22
mpauls x2 perfect and do not train to failure

21-Nov-22
Just move heavy weight. Obviously, barbell rows and DB rows will target your specific back muscles you want to use. If done correctly, bench press can help as well. Reverse flies will target your rear delts.

21-Nov-22
Always good to keep in shape but I wouldn't worry about increasing draw weight. Modern bows, arrows and broadheads will do the job. I saw a 12 year old girl put a sharp broadhead though the heart of a wild boar. She was shooting a 35# draw weight compound bow. We were on a Bowsite hog hunt in Tennessee. Her daddy said shot placement and a razor sharp broadhead is the key to killing hogs and deer.

21-Nov-22
I won't choose any of these exercises. Any strength training performed correctly or accompanied by a trainer is suitable for weight gain. But exercise isn't the only thing that helps to gain muscle. For gaining weight, I suggest you get a good sleep and eat healthily. Never eat junk food like nuggets if you want to look like a cool jock. But if it's so hard to give up a carbohydrate-filled diet, don't forget to buy testolone or creatine on sites like. I buy this stuff on purerawz.co to make my workouts more effective. My diet is healthy and clean. But with poor nutrition, keratin will help you stay in the right shape.

21-Nov-22
1/4 turn on limb bolts shoot tell comfortable then another 1/4 turn did this with my son . Was amazed at how fast he went up in poundage and he was a skinny rail. Shooting 70# at age 15.

21-Nov-22
Rocky D x100. I do a crossover symmetry routine at least once per week to keep my shoulders healthy and prevent injury for a lifetime of shooting a bow.

21-Nov-22
Bent over rows with dumbbells or a bar (dumbbell's or barbell required). Lat pull downs while leaning back (cable machine required). Literally simply imitate the motion of drawing a bow. You can also get a cheap used bow and simply draw it, nothing will beat that.

21-Nov-22
I am a waterman. But I have pool at the Y, and a ton of military experience

21-Nov-22
To isolate the rotator cuff for preventative purposes, there is a weight training bar call The Shoulder Horn. The most important things to remember when weight training is proper form, and mental focus. Anyone can overload a bar, bounce a bar, use momentum, etc... for "glory" lifts. Using lighter weights, stricter form, and total mental focus will increase your progress tremendously. I have been a powerlifter and a coach for 37 years, I was a part of the largest drug free, drug tested team in the late 80's into the 90's. What I have found to build up strength in the pec-delt-trap area is an exercise that mimics you drawing your bow. Using light weight dumbbells, take your stance as if you are about to shoot. Raise the dumbbells as if you are about to raise your bow and draw. "push" with one arm and "pull" with the other, and hold for a few seconds. Do this for 6 sets of 8-10 reps, slowly and steadily, not rapid fire. Then switch to your non dominant arm and repeat, pushing and pulling with the opposing arms. Again, light weight, strict, slow form, and hold at the end. After 2 weeks, increase the weight by 2.5 pounds, and continue on.

22-Nov-22
Call me old fashioned but I think the VHS format Jane Fonda workout tapes are best for building arm strength

22-Nov-22

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
If you want to learn to draw heavier bows, then you have to pull heavier bows. Are used to compete in a bionic bow pulling contest. I was the lightest competitor by far, and could often out pull the big guys. I did it by buying a heavier bow just to work out on, then began building my own bows. They spent their time in the gym. I have pulled my body weight with compounds and a recurve. I once pulled a 135# bow 130 times in a row. And did it all by pulling heavier bows.

When I started I shot a 58# compound. 3 years later I was shooting 90# easily. And I weighed less than 160#.

22-Nov-22
Rocky, I am 62 and still shooting. What advice did I give that was wrong? I was simply stating if you want to shoot heavier bows, the best way to do it is pull heavier bows. Train the muscles you are going to use.

24-Nov-22
"Either you did a lot of working out or did a job requiring hard labor and probably some really good DNA." RockyD that's me. Or was til my shoulders quit on me.

24-Nov-22
I used surgery, and lots of PT, then back to more hard work. Lol

26-Nov-22
^blank comment?

26-Nov-22
Doing nothing BUT drawing progressively heavier bows will work in the short run, but will not build 'symmetry'. Or necessarily build all the 'support' muscles that stabilize the shoulders/back. Building ONLY the muscles for drawing puts other parts at greater risk.

Working the muscles that are not directly involved in drawing protects your joints, tendons etc. As does drawing on your 'off' side.

26-Nov-22
When I went back from compound to stickbows in '93 I was shooting a compound at 85#. I shot that bow at that weight indoor leagues three nights a week, 30 to 40 warm up shots and 60 for score, then stump shooting and 3 d shooting weekends. I got a 55# longbow and struggled with it at first. After a few months I trained the right muscle groups and it became easy. I went up to a 60# longbow and then an 80# recurve. I had a background of weight lifting, farm work and logging so I had the core muscles and overall body strength I just needed to fine tune and train the muscles used in drawing stickbows. The shoulder arthritis gradually took me down in draw weight to where I couldn't handle even the 60# stickbows. Post surgery I'm back up to 55# and hope to be able to work back into 60# and by that I mean able not just to draw the bows which I can do but shoot them frequently multiple times, enough to practice and shoot well.

26-Nov-22
wow dana x2 ironbow was that a wheelie bow or stick bow at 135

26-Nov-22
Lamb,

Jennings Model T handle with leaf springs off a Ford truck for limbs. I had seen other bows blow up at that weight so I wanted something bombproof. Built that bow in 1984 and still have it. Only 5 people have ever been able to draw it at least once.

• Sitka Gear