SBH 31-Dec-18
Zbone 04-Jan-19
Zbone 10-Jan-19
hawkeye in PA 10-Jan-19
Zbone 10-Jan-19
brewski 10-Jan-19
21-Dec-18

PECO's Link
https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-trailblazer/26-point-228-78-coshocton-county-deer-poached-amish-man-fined-2874146/?fbclid=IwAR1lfsNrakluuXQ1Tn1qyPau-BY570zMA2xtBVCRPgdbGZVVIgLn9WGj4QM

22-Dec-18
did not hurt his pocketbook,, paid in full...………$28,000 fine

22-Dec-18
Quite a few complaints of them not abiding by the rules or the yellow signs. Sure was a trophy buck.

22-Dec-18
“did not hurt his pocketbook,, paid in full...………$28,000 fine”

That’s a hell of an assumption... for all you know he had to mortgage the farm to avoid doing the time.

I’d like to think that even if I were dumb enough to poach a deer I’d be smart enough to take out a loan instead of failing to support my family AT ALL for a coupla months....

But holy crap! How freaking stupid do you have to be to take a deer without a permit?

Yeah, it was a big deer. So what? If a woman comes on to a married guy, is it less adulterous of him if she’s attractive?

Duh.

22-Dec-18
he was given the choice of paying in full or 60 days in jail...…….

22-Dec-18
Slap on the wrist !

22-Dec-18
Yes, a slap on the wrist considering the circumstances. Nice 'christian' behavior by the Amish, but I have come to expect no less.

22-Dec-18
big problem in Wis is "thrill killing",,,,, problem is most judges, especially in NW Wis are liberal pansies, that always give them light sentences, etc,,,,,,

22-Dec-18
$28,000 for 60 days is pretty good wages. Just sayin'

22-Dec-18
Amish fellow. He had 28k in a cookie jar behind the butter churn.

Amish folk shoot everything that moves. They'll put a roof on your neighbors barn for free in exchange for hunting privileges, then hunt everything within walking distance of the original place they had permission.

Thought this was so and so's....

22-Dec-18
I would never poach a deer but I would take the 60 days before the $28,000 fine if he had a choice. Ohio is a "30%" state I believe....meaning if he was a good boy he would only do 40 days. If it was a "day for day" state he would do 30.

The shocking part is his full sentence had a 2 year suspension....his reduced sentence was a 1 year suspension of hunting rights. This is BS. Should of been at least 5 years.

22-Dec-18
dork knob, what an ignorant response. In light of the changes in society per the desire for antlers, increasing consequences based on size, points etc. is an intelligent response.

24-Dec-18
Seems a lot of poaching goes on around here... Don't get me started on the amish again...8^)

24-Dec-18
Is revoking the hunting license of a poacher really any punishment? Correct me if I'm wrong but by definition if you are a poacher you are not following the law anyway.

"Sir since you robbed this bank we are revoking your free checking account!" That'll show him.

24-Dec-18
ROFL, Greg! Can’t argue with you.

But I have to wonder how it is that a “liberal pansy” judge would be handing out trivial sentences to a Big Bad Mean Man like a Bambi-killer?

DoorKnob - I know you’re just choosing to be a smartass and all, but as a rule... in cases of adultery, only 2 of the 3 (or potentially 4) parties involved will have consented to the arrangement. And if you think the courts aren’t sympathetic to the injured party, just let us know how that works out for you when your wife finds out that “well, it was OK with the OTHER gal...”.

Point is some guys can’t keep it in their pants, and some can’t contain themselves when big antlers walk by. Either way, they’re MORONS.

All hunters have an agreement with each other to abide by the rules. This guy Failed.

And FWIW.... If you think you should be allowed to bust on the Amish (as an undifferentiated class of Offensive Individuals) just remember how you like it the next time you hear somebody categorizing ALL white, middle-aged male hunter/gun-owners as such.

This guy is an idiot. Maybe he lives surrounded by idiots. No reason to decide that it’s OK to act like a bigot because white Christian Pro-Hunters are an unprotected species. That leaves you no better than the various media/SJW types you guys are always bitching about...

24-Dec-18
I did not think that the guy had a choice between jail time and paying the fine. I think that if he did not pay the fine immediately he would go to jail and still owe the fine. I see this as a nice way to get paid w/o hassles. Also I hunt in that area and it is a low cost of living area with lower than average wages. I suspect that the $28,000 fine hurt a lot.

It appears to me that the guy started out as a hunter that day and turned poacher when the temptation got to great. I would not assume that he will go out and poach deer and that losing his license will not be a lose to him. Sounds like he was hunting legally until he shot the second buck. Losing his license means that he will not be able to hunt with his buddies next season and we have a 4+ month season here in Ohio and in his area he can shoot up to 6 deer if he hunts a couple of counties. Hunting is usually a big thing to the Amish. The one year lose of hunting does seem a lite to me. It was nice that he got caught. Way too much poaching in the area with a lot of it being done by people to set out to poach. This should help.

25-Dec-18
Like many said the guy is a hunter that fell to temptation when he saw the monster buck and did something really stupid. So revoking his hunting privileges for 5 or 10 years would hurt him quite a bit.

If he was a jack lighting commercial poacher then no he probably wouldn`t care....but he`s not. I`m sure the $28,000 fine will keep his azz straight from here on out. Don`t think he will appreciate what he gets for a 2nd offense. "Tyrone" luvs him some fresh Amish tail...if you know what I mean.

25-Dec-18
Parts of the second article do not make a lot of sense. Ohio does not require a deer to be taken to be registered and it makes no sense that he would have cut off the heads and switched them. Most hunters register their deer on-line. Being Amish, he probably went to a Walmart or somewhere like that and they then did the on-line registration and then gave him a receipt. We are required to attach a tag in the field which requires the county of the kill and the gender but not the number of points. The on-line registration requires the number of points. I think that he had field tagged the first buck but had not registered it when he shot the second buck. That is why he registered the large buck as a Holmes County buck and not a Coshocton County buck. If you look at the first article the cape/hide are still attached to the head. What else did the author get wrong?

25-Dec-18
I don’t know what an SA is, but if you think respecting a commitment is only for “bible thumpers” , I can’t help you.

Just remind me not to ever do any kind of business with you or show you any hunting spots.

I have compassion enough for those who make mistakes, but I have no tolerance for people who seem to take pride in being able to get away with crap on technicalities.

25-Dec-18
Hi goyt - Hey, curious if you were aware of that buck alive since you hunt that area (or used to)?

My uncle has a farm in that area and hunt it but unaware of it's existence...

28-Dec-18
Zbone, I still hunt NE Coshocton County. I was not aware of the buck. During the real cold spell last winter I had a buck that scored about 130 with similar traits show up at every food source and then disappear. I doubt he got that big that fast. Good to hear from you.

28-Dec-18
I feel that his hunting privileges should be revoked for a minimum of 10 years up to life for basically stealing two quality bucks from law abiding hunters.

30-Dec-18
Good to hear from you too Cliff...

From the description in the links, sounds likely area near the northern Coshocton county line closer to Holmes county were more amish… My uncle's farm is located more in the central area of the county line... Sadly he recently passed away a month or so ago after a farm accident so don't know what is going to happen to his farm...

How any buck was able to survive to reach 4 years of age in that amish area is amazing too me...

30-Dec-18
Gary, the day that this buck was killed my land partner had seen a huge buck in the back of a truck. Yesterday he told me that the buck was this buck. As the truck was fairly close to our land we had thought that maybe a local outfitter had been involved. Now it appears like that was not the case. This buck may have come from the area that I hunt. I will have to ask the Amish in the area. Three of them own adjacent property. Even with my partner telling my that it was huge back in November I did not realize that 200"+ buck had been maybe been killed in the area.

30-Dec-18
Ouch, I wouldn’t call $28,000 a slap on the wrist. I bet that teaches a lesson. Thats one of the harsher punishments I’ve seen and for a guy who made a mistake, from what we can tell not the serial poacher type.

30-Dec-18
Gheez guys, its a deer thread.

31-Dec-18
Just an observation? Why is it ok for some to breed like an animal, but not to kill like one? We're getting too good at picking and choosing the laws we obey, aren't we. Natural or otherwise. 65 means 65.

31-Dec-18
Man, you guys lost me... Topic started about a 26-point poached buck, but don't know where the conversation went now...

31-Dec-18
I'm lost too.

31-Dec-18
What an incredible deer. Too bad.

04-Jan-19
TTT for Boris...

10-Jan-19
I receive newsletters from our DOW department, and here an update from the other day:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/news-announcements/post/man-found-guilty-of-poaching-27-000-trophy-buck?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OdnrDivisionOfWildlife+%28ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife%29

" Man Found Guilty of Poaching $27,000 Trophy Buck 1/4/2019 Division of Wildlife COLUMBUS, OH – A Holmes County man pleaded no-contest to five wildlife violations in Coshocton Municipal Court on Thursday, December 13 and was ordered to pay $27,904.46 in restitution, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

Junior L. Troyer, 43, of Millersburg pleaded no-contest to five charges including providing false information while game checking deer, attaching a game check number to a deer other than the deer it was issued to, taking more than one antlered deer in a license year, possessing deer or deer parts without an attached valid deer tag, and attaching an antlerless deer game check number to an antlered deer. Judge Timothy L. France found Troyer guilty on all charges and ordered him to pay $150 for each charge and an additional $87 in court costs. Judge France also ordered Troyer to pay restitution to the ODNR Division of Wildlife in the amount of $27,904.46.

In addition, Troyer will lose his hunting privileges for one year. He will be entered into the Wildlife Violator’s Compact and most likely will lose hunting rights in 46 other states.

The non-typical trophy deer scored 228 7/8. The restitution amount imposed by the court is in accordance with Ohio’s revised restitution law for illegal taking of white-tailed deer.

Wildlife K-9 Finn and his handler State Wildlife Officer Jeremy Carter, assigned to Holmes County, located evidence that was crucial to this case. The ODNR Division of Wildlife has five K-9 teams throughout the state that are trained and certified to detect wildlife, gunpowder, and ginseng, and are certified in tracking, area searches, and article searches.

The ODNR Division of Wildlife encourages anyone observing or suspecting that wildlife violations are occurring to report illegal activity by calling the Turn-In-A-Poacher (TIP) hotline toll free at 1-800-POACHER (762-2437) or submitting information online at wildohio.gov. All information received by the TIP program will remain confidential. "

10-Jan-19
DOW and ODNR done good.

10-Jan-19
Yeah, if you kill a world class buck in Ohio, better be legal and have dotted your "I"s and crossed your "T"s...8^) DNR has a few 200+" bucks hanging in their offices... I can think of 4 off the top of my head...

10-Jan-19
I'm surprised the amish have time to hunt with all the puppy mills keeping them so busy.

• Sitka Gear