WV Mountaineer 24-Dec-18
fubar racin 24-Dec-18
IdyllwildArcher 24-Dec-18
IdyllwildArcher 25-Dec-18
Scott/IL 25-Dec-18
lawdy 26-Dec-18
SBH 26-Dec-18
22-Dec-18
My wife and I are empty nesters and the only red meat my wife wants to eat is venison, as she feels that cows are not treated humanely. This year, I killed two whitetail deer with the bow and have pretty much filled the freezers. How do you gentlemen and ladies who kill multiple deer and maybe an elk/bear/moose handle all the meat? Kids and, subsequently, more mouths to feed? I need some advice in order to manage the circumstance if I ever encounter it. Thanks for the info/guidance.

22-Dec-18
I give most of mine away to non hunting friends and co workers.

22-Dec-18
I usually have a couple elk some times deer and antelope. Where also empty nesters. Eat a lot of it in burger. We make chili, enchiladas, taco salad etc. usually last us tell next season. Buy occasional beef steak for grilling. We've been doing this for years.

22-Dec-18
Just three of us at home, but we manage to eat three or more deer a year, usually two are does though so fairly small.

I suspect if it could, a deer would argue a little about "humane" though. Dead by an arrow or bullet can't be much better than a pneumatic hammer to the head. All in how you look at it I guess.

22-Dec-18
Me and my wife just eat wild game, and need way more then a few deer. On average 5 or 6 deer, 5 or 6 antelope and an elk, would be average (I suck at killing elk so normally add a few more deer/pigs in place of the elk)

We process everything and make lunch meat, sausages and about anything else normal people buy at the store.

If we have a really good year, we give some away or have a few parties/cook outs

22-Dec-18
I have a family of 4, wife and 2 kids. We will easily go through 4 deer a year. I have no clue how some people can proclaim to eat mostly venison, yet barely go through a deer or 2 a year. That was not a bash at anyone, just curious. Ideally we will have 6 in the freezer with 2 being all done in burger. Well all but the backstraps. I do also give some away.

22-Dec-18
My wife and I have no kids but we have three very large freezers full of meat right now. Italian sausage, steaks, hams, breakfast sausage, hunter sticks, summer sausage, roasts, stew meat, burger, etc. All of it from a wide array of Alaska species. None of the meat is more than a year 1/2 old. I bring meals to work at least once a week large enough to feed an office full of my troops. We have dinner parties often and I also share a bunch of it with those I know will appreciate it. With any luck we hope that it’ll be nearly empty by next fall to make room for more. We eat meat in one form or another each day for all three meals.

22-Dec-18
I’ll put 4-6 deer in the freezer just for my immediate family. We eat venison probably 3-5 times a week all year. We do lots and lots of recipes. Lately we are using a lot of Hank Shaw recipes so it never gets boring

22-Dec-18
Like others that have posted above, just me and the wife now but we burn through at least an elk and a couple 2 or 3 deer/antelope a year. When we had a couple teenagers we needed 2 elk.

Steaks, roasts, burger, jerky, stew, italian sausage, breakfast sausage, German sausage, summer sausage, and pastrami!

22-Dec-18
3 in my house hold. We eat on average 1 elk, antelope and 3-4 deer a year. From burgers to corned venison to pasties . Made 75 of those with deer last week. I also like to feed people and take lunch to my crew once a week. Depends on the year but most is gone by the time the next season rolls around. I also spread the wealth with people that need it. Now off to check the smoker!! Hunt

22-Dec-18
We eat about 6-8 deer per year plus the 20 or so chickens we raise and usually a hog we buy from a family member who hand raises a few. Any other meat comes from my dad & brothers beef farm. We eat the venison and chicken almost exclusively.

22-Dec-18
A huge part of the fun is figuring out different ways to prepare wild game. Smoking about 50# of different types of summer sausage right now. Been saving the shanks off everything specially after seeing some recipes here. It is a lot of fun!

22-Dec-18

mtoomey's embedded Photo
Venison osso bucco.
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Venison osso bucco.
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Rolled, stuffed venison loin
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Rolled, stuffed venison loin
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Venison Ribs
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Venison Ribs
mtoomey's embedded Photo
grilled tenderloin
mtoomey's embedded Photo
grilled tenderloin
My wife and I have four kids. Their age ranges are in the preteens to preschool. I try to put 5-6 deer in the freezer per year. I grind much into burger. I also muscle break most of the roasts. The roasts can always be cut down later for steaks. Loins and tender loins are great on the grill. Shanks of several of the deer will be cut for osso bucco. One deer I cut the neck into two roasts. (Usually that's burger meat for me.) Ribs can be trimmed for sausage, or we discovered eating bbq venison ribs to be a fun treat. We will be eating cured venison ham for Christmas. Pastrami made from venison is delicious. Venison bresaola is an interesting task to make and delightful to consume. Sausage from trim will be made in the next month. And don't forget the offal. Heart, kidneys, and liver can certainly expand your gastronomical horizons.

22-Dec-18
We just did Osso Bucco!!!! It’s top shelf

22-Dec-18
We have kids but we eat 1 elk and 1-2 deer and antelope a year on average. We don’t ever buy any beef. Occasionally have chicken with stuff

22-Dec-18
Dang, Toomey! That all looks yummy!

22-Dec-18
I don`t eat venison anymore....it`s been linked to Lycanthropy....no thanks.

22-Dec-18
I can’t believe you just got me to google lycanthropy

22-Dec-18
Maybe lycanthropy will help me with Kate beckinsale

22-Dec-18
Hunt, you have a pasty recipe? I had to look it up to see what they were.

Some of the images were pretty awesome but weren't the food kind... 8-)

22-Dec-18
+1 Elkhorn!

22-Dec-18
3 of us eat 3 deer a year. It is used in chili, tacos, spaghetti, enchiladas, etc. The wife does buy beef on occasion.

22-Dec-18
I always talk about giving away elk meat but when the time comes I’m a hoarder. I’d rather go buy someone some ribeyes than hand over some loin steaks. Round steak and burger are easier to part with!

22-Dec-18
My wife and I eat burger twice a week. I work in agriculture industry i see how cows are raised. Eat deer only and some bear. I grind my own and package in 1 1/2 lb packages. An adult doe makes about 40 lbs. So with roasts and chops,a few steaks ,we like to put 3-5 deer in freezer a year.

22-Dec-18
Household of 2.

2-3 deer per year. Some is used for guests meals.

Depending on shape of freezer storage, I may give some away to friends who are old or don’t hunt. They are not Tom’s type folks though.

22-Dec-18
I eat only wild game,,,, I am in Wisconsin... my friend runs a bear camp, so plenty of meat there,,,,, I need about 6 deer a year, but will take 8 if not more.... I eat about 100 squirrels a year, easily 50 rabbits, and the birds I can get, both pheasant or grouse and this year only have 13 grouse..... My friend went elk hunting, (trophy guy) I got half of that....

otherwise I am a vegetarian.... I like wild game......... I have no concept from someone that would kill an animal and not eat it... I will never get that,,,, but I see that a lot in the west

22-Dec-18
Can one of you guys post a recipe for Osso Bucco

23-Dec-18
Ummm. Put shanks in pot. Add broth and veggies. Put in oven at 300 for 4 hours. Pull out and eat.

23-Dec-18
Longbeard...here's one that i modified. I'd suggest substituting the chicken broth with beef broth, and the white wine with red wine. Venison needs more robust flavor.

23-Dec-18

mtoomey's Link
Sorry...forgot to add the link.

23-Dec-18
I am in a similar position. Just the wife and I at home, now. We eat a lot of deer. It takes about three a year for us. I usually kill an additional two or three to feed needy families. This year, I will probably give four entire deer away. I have already given two away and need two more-not a big problem. Of the four, one I will cut and wrap for the folks, the other two I deliver to them, field dressed, and they handle it from there.

I do all my own processing, bone out all the meat. I cut and vacuum wrap the cuts. I have one, upright freezer that is for nothing but deer meat and fish fillets. In addition to the deer meat, I usually put up 60-pacs of fish. That is year's supply of meat and fish for us. I am not real sure what you are asking.

I do not mess with Hunters for the Hungry. It is quite easy to find people willing to take the meat who actually need it. In my family, only my son eats deer meat. I provide for him, my wife and I, the rest I have no trouble giving away. But be careful. Don't get into processing for other people. That can lead to real work. Give them the animal and let them take care of it.

23-Dec-18
I enjoy sharing mine with Family and Friends.

Kinda surprising how many local folks really look forward to my sharing elk meat most every year with them.

Some have even added Elk Roast to the Thanksgiving meal instead of Ham, elk and turkey---------> not a bad combo meal at all.

Good luck, Robb

23-Dec-18
Thank you for all the insight on how you manage the game you harvest. It is remarkable (awesome) that some people provide others with wild game - that is really kind. We don't eat meat every evening meal either - we try to prepare some meat-free dishes that are tasty too. We have some 50 pounds of venison burger (mixed with pork) and my wife made 180 meatballs last Thursday and froze them; we will add to certain dishes to put some protein in them. I just want to make sure that if I graduate to Elk some day, that Cortney and I can manage all the meat that a successful hunt will represent. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

23-Dec-18
Osso Bucco, pretty much what nick said, I will add take the shanks out frozen and cut into 1.5 inch chunks. That made the meal for us, do the same thing with front shoulder.

23-Dec-18
Since October I’ve given away 240lbs of finished meat. I still have about 3 years stock in my freezers. I give a lot away every year but when I had to buy my 2nd 7ft chest freezer I realized it’s time to accelerate the giving. This allowed me to use 1 chest freezer for purely wild meat/fish and the other freezer for other foods.

23-Dec-18
Just got back from making the rounds giving out Christmas presents of various elk sausages and and jerky.

I had forgotten to mention cube steaks for chicken fried steak (it’s what’s for dinner). You can make cubed steaks into chicken fried steak or roll up with feta cheese and sweet peppers, yummy!

23-Dec-18

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
Tamale pie
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
Tamale pie
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
This evening. Wellenton
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
This evening. Wellenton
My wife and I can only eat two deer a year. Any more I would have to give away. The best cuts get ate first and the burger gets ate a lot. To help it last longer I bought a food saver and double wrap it to last longer. This weekend was burger and back straps.

23-Dec-18
Rarely buy beef. Maybe 5# in a year. Some pork and chicken. This year I have a big cow elk, WT and Muley does, WT buck and 3 antelope. 2 of us and I gave 3 of the critters away plus some parts. Eat more burger than anything and use steak for stew a lot.

This is an exceptional year for us and I'm sure we'll have some carry over. Freeze the "to be burger" trim meat in 20-30 lb boxes and it's good for a couple years. When we grind it it's like it's fresh.

24-Dec-18
We normally do not eat all of the meat from what I kill. One year I think that I shot 13 does and a buck using some "In- Season -Harvest " for crop damage. I have made arrangements with a processor who is on my way home. I can drop a deer off after hours if necessary. I started giving deer to a cancer victim who needed it and it took off from by word of month. The demand is greater than I can fill. Most recipients are repeats so the processor has their names, numbers and how they like it cut. The deer is free of course and the recipients pay for the processing. I drop off a deer and text the processor to let him know I am doing it and who gets the deer. Great system! Very little effort on my part. Gets meat to people who really want it. Helps with herd management. Most of the people if not all are non-hunters so it is great PR.

Now if I can only figure out a way to give away excess walleyes w/o cleaning them.

24-Dec-18
Eat at least 2 deer, plenty of waterfowl and upland birds, squirrel, rabbits and raccoon, and lots of bass, pike and walleye

24-Dec-18
Here’s a hint regarding osso bucco. If you’re using elk, plan on it taking 6-7 hours in the slow cooker and 70 minutes in the insta pot plus slow release.

24-Dec-18
jmiller got a good racccoon recipe?

24-Dec-18
One thing I don't do is give it to able bodied people who ask for it. You know: "well it doesn't cost you anything".

24-Dec-18
One elk, and a deer and a hog or two, will last my Wife and I about a Year. We do have dinner parties where we cook larger quantities, but we are "empty nesters" as well, so it's mostly just the two of us.

24-Dec-18
LKH, I do not think that anyone I give deer to has that attitude. Maybe they do behind my back but I do not think they do. Almost all of them want to pay me or buy my whiskey or give gift cards to restaurants. I have to insist that I am breaking game laws if I accept anything.

24-Dec-18
Midwest, pasty making is easy. Store bought or homemade pie crust for the outer. Ground meat ,shredded potato's , rutabaga, carrots and onions. Half meat half the other stuff. Season with just salt and black pepper. Start light with the salt . Mix all the filling together then make a Pattie and fry it like a burger to taste test . Use a pie crust and cover a bit under half of it with the meat and veggies mix at about 2" thick and fold the other half over the filling then use a fork to seal the seam. Apply a light brushing of beaten egg to the top and bake on cookie sheets in the oven at 350 for about one and a half hrs. When the edge of the crust starts to get close to burnt they are done. I go by the smell but that's cause we have made em forever. They freeze well and if you get one out of the freezer just bake it again like you did initially but for not so long. Again, when it starts smelling good it's ready. They will be just like the day you made em. They are excellent eaten cold too. I like to put yellow mustard on em.

24-Dec-18

DMC65's embedded Photo
DMC65's embedded Photo
Whitetail buck shank seared off in the oven and ready to bake.

24-Dec-18
Just the wife and I. I try to put up at least 5 deer per year and it’s not enough. It’s just hard for me to get the time to kill more. This year I bought a half a beef that was raised by my buddy. It’s good clean stuff. So, on top of the three deer I’ve killed so far, we might make it to midsummer. I doubt it though.

We eat a lot of venison and clean red meat. Average 4-5 meals a week for supper. Throw in the breakfast sausage and brats, usually 3-4 servings a week for breakfast or lunch too. If I had the tags, I could use 9-10 and be happy.

24-Dec-18
My family of 4 goes through an elk 2 mule deer an antelope and a bunch of walleye and crappie every year and usually end up buying a small amount of commercial meat to get through the last 6-8 weeks before season starts. Thankfully my oldest son will be old enough to hunt in 2019 so hoping to cut the commercial meat out completely.

24-Dec-18
There never seems to be enough. Only the past couple years have I not been out of game by summer.

I have a family of 4, but the 3 of them only eat game twice a week when I'm at work or hunting. I eat the bulk of it and it's really all I want to eat besides the occasional sushi meal. Usually get 4 to 5 animals a year and I run out if one isn't an elk and that's with a dozen or so ducks/geese and about 100 lbs of salmon on top of it. I eat well north of 200 lbs of game meat a year myself.

Three years ago I shot 4 midwest WT and a Coues and still ran out by July. This past year I had a bit of meat left over when I shot my first animal of the season in September, but I've only shot an elk and a WT so far. If I don't get a Coues next month, I'll definitely run out and I'll have to resort to trying to bum meat off of Nick and Zack again.

25-Dec-18

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo

25-Dec-18
I put 1/2 a bear, 1/2 an elk, 2 whitetail bucks, and a doe away last year and was knocking on the door of being out by the time elk season rolled around this year. A full elk and 2 whitetail bucks are residing in my freezer now and I’ll try to add another deer in the coming weeks. It’ll all be made into an array of sausages, jerky, and other treats to go along with the already packaged steaks, roasts, and burgers. It’s been a good feeling not having to buy beef for 2 years now.

I eat venison daily, but I’ll also give some to my parents and have some feeds at work for the crew. Several guys there switch schedules with me to allow me blocks of time off to go on hunts, so I make sure to return the favor in the form of food.

26-Dec-18
Butchered one 275 pound hog, brought home 200 pounds of cod and halibut from Newfie. I have 12 kill permits for an orchard available downstate, but a neighbor gave me a doe, so I doubt I will use them. Still working on one of our Herefords from last year. With just two of us, that is a lot of meat. This coming year I will butcher two hogs at 150 apiece. Too much salt pork from the big ones.

26-Dec-18
Family of 6. The boys are still young so the eating hasn't gotten too crazy yet. Except don't get me started on milk and cereal consumption in this joint. We currently need an elk and at least 3 deer. I expect that number to double in the coming years when they are all 10 or older.

• Sitka Gear