jdee 07-Jan-19
midwest 07-Jan-19
wildan 08-Jan-19
EMB 08-Jan-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 08-Jan-19
lawdy 08-Jan-19
M.Pauls 08-Jan-19
06-Jan-19
For those that use their smart phone for hunting, where is your preferred place to carry it?

Chest pocket? Front pant pocket? Hip holster? Rear hip pocket?

06-Jan-19
front pants pocket

06-Jan-19
Pocket in my pack. I'm hunting, not answering cell phones. If you fall and its in your pocket, you stand a chance of breaking it. I see no reason why it needs to be kept someplace where it can be reached fast. Plus with high performance clothing that fits tight, I hate stuff in my pants pockets.

06-Jan-19

06-Jan-19
And if you fall and it’s in your pack your screwed.

06-Jan-19
Had mine in my left front pants pocket when I fell and broke my left shoulder. Could not get it out. Now it’s always in a chest pocket

06-Jan-19
Left, front pants pocket. I need quick, easy access because it's my GPS and my camera.

06-Jan-19
Cargo pocket. Nice baggy, economical Microtex comfy hunting pants have all sorts of room for stuff :^)

06-Jan-19
Leg pocket...but forgot to button it in this Year during a bad day of wildfire evacuation.. my phone is somewhere on a mountain top in Wyoming!.

06-Jan-19
Usually I’m using it as a GPS and using it a lot so it’s in my back pocket or my cargo pocket or my jacket pocket if the jacket I’m wearing has a zipper.....I always make sure it can’t fall out of my pocket !!

06-Jan-19
Day to day activity I keep my phone in front left pant pocket.

When hunting fishing I keep it in a zippered chest pocket. It stays warm and dry so the battery last longer and no malfunction.

06-Jan-19
Don't have a phone.

06-Jan-19
Usually in a pack front pocket when elk hunting. I use it for mapping/GPS to toggle back and forth between satellite and topo views when in new country. So it doesnt need to be someplace with quick access because there's generally no cell service around.

06-Jan-19
Always, always, front left, chest zip pocket.

I can grab it in an instant.

Be safe out there.

06-Jan-19
I use mine for mapping too, so I like it handy. Also it's often cold when I'm hunting and chest pocket keeps it warm, otherwise battery life seems dismal.

06-Jan-19
In my backpack with the rest of my electronic stuff that I do not need constant access to.

06-Jan-19
Left front pants pocket.

06-Jan-19
Right shirt pocket of a Cabelas Microtex shirt 95% of the time, with my rangefinder in the left shirt pocket. Keeps it warm and secure, typically button the pocket flap down over the phone. I don't use a GPS, just GAIA on the phone for nav.

06-Jan-19
In my backpack, and the phone is on vibrate mode. I try not to look at it at all.

06-Jan-19
1booner, Please explain how if I fall and its in my back I'm screwed? If it's in your pants and you fall and break it, you're screwed. Get it soaking wet in your pocket, what's the chances it's not gonna work? I gave a gps for maps, not the kind of guy that needs to answer text messages or put everything on social media.

06-Jan-19
I use mine for gps not emails and texts.I very rarely have enough signal to do that in elk country anyways. Zip up shirt or coat pocket on the chest.

06-Jan-19
I still have a dumb phone, but if I did have a smart phone it'd be carried in the same place as the dumb one when I hunt.......in the truck.

06-Jan-19
Zippered chest pocket first choice , second zippered cargo pocket. If in an area with no cell service carry an Inreach Mini.

06-Jan-19
Hey bugling, today’s iPhone with on x or Gaia on it is being used by more and more hunters.... works great. The phone has turned into a tool that’s why Apple CEO said they cost so much because they are your.....gps, camera, video camera, tv, computer, info center, calculator, flash light,tape recorder, clock, alarm clock, etc. etc all in one small package .......... Hey Seri.....

06-Jan-19
Smart? Have a flip phone that has no signal where I hunt.

06-Jan-19
My son Zac has me carrying my phone in my Badlands chest bino case. There I do not get condensation like occasionally shows up in pants pockets. With layers and pockets it is easier to keep track of the phone, especially as it is my gps.

06-Jan-19
Exactly jdee. A smartphone is a pocket computer with a phone app. When I’m hunting I put my computer in airplane mode, which turns the phone app off. ;)

06-Jan-19
Yep, always on airplane mode when hunting.

06-Jan-19
Front left pant pocket with protective case. Rarely do I have service elk hunting. Use it exclusively for navigation, pictures, and listening to music at nighttime. The last function is a game changer hunting solo for multiple days.

06-Jan-19
Zippered chest pocket. As already stated it’s my GPS, camera and communication device. I usually don’t have service where I elk hunt but every once in a while when up on a ridge I’ll get a bar or two. I usually take that time and opportunity to call the wife and kids to check in. It’s usually in airplane mode unless I’m up high where I might catch a signal. Technology can be great if not overdone. I do love being “out of touch” during my time in the woods.

06-Jan-19
Chest pocket. Lately I have only bought hunting shirts with chest pockets for my phone. I can't feel the vibration anywhere else.

06-Jan-19
Left front chest pocket when hunting. Years ago I had a fencing accident by wrapping a fence wire around my right hand. And I couldn't reach my phone in my right pants pocket with my left hand. So now carry my phone in my left front pants pocket for normal daily use.

06-Jan-19
in my Badlands bino harness.

06-Jan-19
Right front pant pocket for daily life and hunting. It's in a lifeproof so I'm not worried about falling on it or getting it wet - I've done both several times without an issue. Also on airplane mode while hunting and use it as my GPS.

06-Jan-19
Front left pants pocket daily life and half hunting. Other half it’s in left leg cargo pant pocket. Ex) attack pants it’s too difficult to access in front left pocket so it goes in cargo pocket.

06-Jan-19
Left chest pocket if one available. Otherwise, right cargo pant pocket.

06-Jan-19
Cargo pocket that zips. Or the elastic top of my bino harness.

06-Jan-19
Elastic pocket on the top of AGC bino harness. Have it on airplane mode but use as GPS.

06-Jan-19
In my pack. No cell service, I just use it for pics. I will be hunting solo this year so I will be looking into other options.

06-Jan-19
On the end of a lanyard around my neck with the phone inside whatever coat I'm wearing. Set on vibrate mode for everything, I can't drop it, and can use either hand to take it out of me coat. Works for me.

06-Jan-19
outside small pocket on pack, in a ziplock if raining. easy to get to.

07-Jan-19
Front pocket or in my pack hip pouch. Use it all day for mapping in airplane mode.

07-Jan-19
I use to carry it in my thigh pocket on my pants but I noticed in tall brush that had morning heavy dew or even if wet from evening thunderstorms, I had a soaked pocket and phone.

Now I carry it in my hunting vest pocket with a hand warmer in along side it on those cold hunting days

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-19
Elastic pocket on top of my AGC bino harness. I use it as a GPS as well, and for photos/videos. I don't like to carry it in my pants pockets because it gets wet from sweating.

07-Jan-19
I believe folks who are tree stand hunting need to keep it on their person. As has been said if you fall and it is in your pack it does you no good. I keep mine in my left front chest pocket. SHAWN

07-Jan-19
In my truck.

07-Jan-19
Extra hip pocket on my stone glacier pack. Tight fit but it works.

07-Jan-19
Pack, if at all. Where we hunt their a camera at best

07-Jan-19
chest Pocket is my 1st choice, left front pants pocket is my 2nd. I prefer to have it within reach. I am smart enough to know when to look at it and when not to.

07-Jan-19
Chest pocket for me, if no chest pocket then my right front pants pocket. Need to have easy access for navigation and photos.

07-Jan-19
Left cargo pocket on my pants. If it is in the main pocket of my pants, it's gotten wet with sweat on walks in. The downside of the cargo pocket is it doesn't stay warm and I've had it go dead due to cold a few times.

07-Jan-19
Cargo pocket as well...

I’ll also say this... I use to see more deer before I got a smartphone

07-Jan-19
Cargo pocket on my pants.

07-Jan-19
Front pants pocket with vibrate mode on. ;)

07-Jan-19
Zippered side pocket of my pants.

07-Jan-19
south farm x2

oz

07-Jan-19
Left chest pocket or bib chest pocket. Easy access and if its in a pant pocket it has more of a tendency to get damaged from sitting on it.

07-Jan-19
Front chest pocket of my hunting bibs. Reach any time needed also take off the lock screen feature while hunting.

07-Jan-19

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Rear pocket on my chest bino pack so I can feel it vibrate when not in Airplane mode. It's been raised up since this pic was taken. GAIA nav worked well for my Wyoming hunt and I take a LOT of pictures.

07-Jan-19
Case on my belt most times. But the case gets in the way of the waist belt when I use a large pack. Then I'll put it in a cargo pocket or in the pack if I'm wearing it. It's always somewhere I can get to it. Accessibility, not speed, is the issue. You only need to suffer one emergency to learn how important it may be to be able to get to your phone. Airplane or silent mode always.

07-Jan-19
If you wear tight yoga pants you can just slip it in anywhere you want and it'll stay. I'm thinking of getting a "codpiece" phone case.

07-Jan-19
Definitely not the back pocket! Either severely scratched or cracked my screen while out hunting this past weekend. Wife bought this damn thing for me a couple weeks before Christmas. What an idiot I am! Probably did it while sitting on rocks, glassing. I guess someone has to keep the repair man in business, $$$!

07-Jan-19
I usually have it turned off in my backpack

07-Jan-19
X100 on that EMB...... 2 years ago my wife got hurt up in a rugged wilderness and needed to be air lifted out ASAP . No cell signal and I had to leave her and climb up and get a cell signal. Hour and a half later help arrived with a med. chopper waiting at the trailhead. If I hadn’t had a phone with me that would have been her last day.

07-Jan-19
Dang, jdee, glad it worked out. Bet you have an InReach now?

08-Jan-19
I carry my phone in the woods for "MY" safety;so in my chest shirt pocket.It is not to play games or check the weather/text ect.Won't do any good in the truck or a backpack if you fall or need assistance.

08-Jan-19
Jdee, I understand. Having my phone with me at the time of my accident saved me also. I now also carry an Inreach PLB for those places that I don't have cell service.

08-Jan-19
Right leg cargo pocket. Allows easy access for pics, maps, etc.

08-Jan-19
No cell phone coverage up here. There is one spot up on a hill where everyone drives to to get a signal if you are lucky. I don’t own a cell phone. A landline is enough with all the telemarketers and scammers. When hunting I don’t want to talk anyways. If I get hurt, so be it. I will either crawl out, build a fire, or die, I guess. Beats dying in a nursing home.

08-Jan-19
Ambush, I just slip mine into my manzier, you know, like the girls do

• Sitka Gear