Ucsdryder 13-Jan-19
COHOYTHUNTER 13-Jan-19
Birddog 13-Jan-19
climb.on 15-Jan-19
climb.on 15-Jan-19
climb.on 15-Jan-19
12-Jan-19

DL's Link
Ive seen my knee up with a needle and thread before. This looks much less stressful.

12-Jan-19
where would someone find this product, that looks like a good.

12-Jan-19
Amazon sells it

12-Jan-19
Sure is expensive...

12-Jan-19

12-Jan-19
Ebay.

12-Jan-19
$45 for a two inch wound

12-Jan-19
It’s pretty neat. I think that most people have no business closing wounds with sutures, staples, or what not, with out training. I think you’d be better off learning how apply pressure and make a dressing?

13-Jan-19
After I sewed up my knee I was at my orthopedic surgeons that had replaced both knees and done 9 other surgeries on me. He said I did a nice job and had new respect for me but please don’t do that again. Being a taxidermist you get to know all kinds of stitching. A few months latter he asked me to come with him out to his car to see how my walking was from surgery. He opened his car to get something and handed me some surgical towels and a pack of sutures. I told him I’m getting some mixed messages here.

13-Jan-19
Better have a straight cut.

13-Jan-19
I picked up a set of these for my pack. I also got two surgical staplers, one for my truck and one for home.

13-Jan-19
I might add the reason I picked these up ($30 on Amazon) is because I primarily hunt alone without cell service. I do know basic first aid, how to apply pressure, apply a tourniquet etc. But if something happens in the field, I want to be prepared with all possible means to stop blood loss if necessary.

13-Jan-19
Looks pretty good. Wonder if you'd be able to keep it in your pack without it getting all smashed up and useless? Do you have to shave the hair off both sides? How they going to stick with blood if you don't get the area totally cleaned up.

13-Jan-19
Good point Shaft. I would think you would need to put it in some kind of small tupper ware or something?

13-Jan-19
Interesting, but will it pull your hide off when you remove it ? My skin won't tolerate adhdsive for long as it is. Bangages often do as much bad as good if I leave them on too long. Nevertheless, if I was far from an ER and had a gaping wound......

13-Jan-19
Drycreek, maybe your skin is just so sensitive from yoga and manscaping but usually soaking an adhesive bandaid will remove it no problems.

13-Jan-19
They actually lay pretty flat. I just slide them into my first aid kit I don't anticipate they will get scrunched up

13-Jan-19
1.An adequate “Quick Clot” type dressing in addition to a basic first aid kit. 2. Garmin Inreach. Last year I put a broadhead completely thru my hand just missing the artery bridge. Fortunately I wasn’t hunting at the time. I spend 30 days a year minimum hunting in some pretty remote places. 90% of the time alone. The incident really made me think about solutions to potential predicaments I could inflict on myself. The Garmin I reach could be a game changer. At 65 I don’t think I’m any wiser. I damn sure know I’m more fatigued at the end of a grueling day in the mountains which has the potential for some “fuzzy thinking” and poor decisions.

15-Jan-19

climb.on's embedded Photo
climb.on's embedded Photo
This is a pretty cool little tool - might have to get one. Steri-strips do basically the same thing (for a lot less money), but this gadget makes it a little easier to do on yourself. Using the technique in this photo you can pull the wound closed very nicely with Steri-Strips (wound closure strips). Of course this would be hard to do on yourself, as you need two hands to pull in opposite directions. Tincture of Benzoine is very helpful keeping the strips adhered (or anything else, it's sticky as hell). Cleaning a wound like this (and keeping it clean) is far more important than closing it though. An irrigation syringe should also be part of a wound kit to prevent infection.

15-Jan-19

climb.on's Link
Here is the wound kit I carry and have use several times. Cost is $12.

15-Jan-19

climb.on's Link
They used to include Tegaderm in the kit, but don't anymore apparently. This is great stuff to cover the wound, keep it clean, waterproof, allows the wound to breath and you can still see the wound through the Tegaderm. You can leave it on for a week or more. Opsite is another similar product.

• Sitka Gear