Treeline 14-Jan-19
Will 14-Jan-19
Treeline 14-Jan-19
Treeline 14-Jan-19
ben h 15-Jan-19
ELKMAN 15-Jan-19
Treeline 15-Jan-19
14-Jan-19
Anybody have any experience, thoughts, or insight on this subject? I have always wanted to fish Peacock Bass on the Amazon top water.

14-Jan-19
I have no experience there, but a friend of mine spent last year there, on a eco trip, he is a naturalist,,,,, beautiful areas, but Bob, said, still dangerous area, as an American,,,,

14-Jan-19
I spent a week there 2 years ago - went all over the place but wasn’t hunting. Beautiful country and nice people - never felt unsafe.

Lee.

14-Jan-19
Lived down there for a few years. Did a lot of trout fishing, some hunting and a trip down to the jungle. There are some very interesting things there that most North Americans never even have a concept of. Shoot me a PM and I can help you get lined out with some cool stuff to do.

14-Jan-19

Huntcell 's Link
Didn’t know Peru was even close to being a peacock bass fishing destination . Quick google search proved otherwise. What an exiciting and beautiful fish they are.

14-Jan-19
There are some other fish that are way cooler than peacock bass...

Some crazy wildlife, too.

Hunting and fishing is way different down there. They have no history, culture, structure, laws or concept of conservation like we have in the US or Canada.

14-Jan-19
Most peacock bass are the smaller ones in Peru - butterfly. Same ones that you find in Panama and Florida.

There are some of the bigger speckled bass in a few areas but not many.

Payara are fun! There are still some rivers with giant catfish. There are still a few places with arapaima but they are rare.

Without regulations or enforcement, many fabulous fisheries have been destroyed and you have to go a long way back to get past where the commercial fishermen work.

14-Jan-19
Are there golden dorado in Peru? if so, that's totally a fishing trip worth exploring!

14-Jan-19
No, but there are a silver dorado in some of the rivers dropping off the east face of the Andes below Cusco going to Puerto Madanado. They are smaller - 2 to 3 pounds but they fight good and like streamers!

14-Jan-19
Nearest golden dorado I figured out are in Bolivia is some pretty remote rivers. Actually seriously remote stuff. Was working on that trip but never got it all figured out logistically. There is a high end fishing lodge back in there - Tsimane. I was looking at the river system just south of there. Way more expensive to go to those kind of deals, but may be worth it if you don’t speak the language or have connections. They grow a lot of coca in those foot hill areas and it can be sketchy.

The other place I wanted to go badly was Salta, Argentina. Clear mountain creeks and sight fishing golden dorado up to 20# on streamers or floating below the dam on the low country river and possibly tying into one over 30#. Less known than the Parana or Ibera areas and very different than fishing from a bass or flats boat.

15-Jan-19
I don't personally have any experience fishing in South America, but my sister went on a few guided trips while on "Semester at Sea" at various places down there. Looks like an absolute blast. Saw some videos called "Trout Bum Diaries" a while back of some die hards who did it for a few months....I wish.

15-Jan-19
Very good stuff! Thanks guys. Keep ideas coming. Sounds like big game hunting is kind of a non starter to some degree?

15-Jan-19
There is limited hunting - deer, viscatchas, feral cattle and sheep. There are some amazing species but very tough to get figured out how to hunt. They really do not have any regulations or enforcement.

• Sitka Gear