greenmountain 21-Jan-19
Busta'Ribs 21-Jan-19
Lee 21-Jan-19
dirtclod Az. 21-Jan-19
Treeline 21-Jan-19
18-Jan-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
These are really interesting pieces. They are definitely pieces of our history as bowhunters. I would sure like to know the stories on those hunts.

18-Jan-19
Cool... I remember Gene Wensel I believe t elling the story of a rancher in Montana finding a vertebrae with a stone point.

After several attempts of trying to purchase it from him the guy broke down and took $50-$100 for it. Gene sent it to be carbon dated. The dating company called and said it wasn’t historic. Turns out it was pre historic from cave man days pretty cool

18-Jan-19
Dave - are those all yours??

Cool collectibles! The sort of thing you just build fire, take it down and let your imagination take you hunting.

Pretty safe bet that nobody will ever pause and wonder what happened while contemplating a bone with a mechanical buried in it...

18-Jan-19
Cool! They look like good sized heads, and good penetration, maybe atlatl?

18-Jan-19
Really cool. Just think, 10,000 years from now they will be digging them up with Rages in them.

18-Jan-19
Those are very cool finds. What are the legalities involved if you find something like that on public land?

18-Jan-19
Those are great finds!

18-Jan-19
Wow those are really cool!!

I wonder, though, if they went to a heavier arrow with high FOC and a single bevel head after these results??

18-Jan-19
Not mine. I read where a man that used to catch alligator snappers to butcher quit because he had found some with spear pouts and arrowheads in them.

18-Jan-19
I've hunted arrowheads since I was A kid. To find one embedded in bone would be a find of a lifetime. Very cool pictures.

18-Jan-19
DL, I saw the program about alligator snappers. The guy found musket balls and stone points in some of the turtles he'd caught. It dawned on him how old they were and he gave up trapping them.

18-Jan-19
Just goes to show that even back then, they made bad shots too :) ... and they relied on hunting

18-Jan-19
Artifacts can't be removed from public lands.

18-Jan-19
^^^^ True Statement!^^^ It's actually a federal offense to remove and artifact from any lands! They are considered culturally sensitive materials! They do not belong to the one that finds them!

18-Jan-19
I’m pretty sure there are certain states that allow you to keep arrowheads. Usually though, if retrieving those arrowheads occurs on private property. On State or federal land it is mostly not allowed.

18-Jan-19
I have found lots of spear and arrow points. Would love to find one like those shown. Always a very special feeling to know you are hunting where others did many years ago.

18-Jan-19
I think it’s one of those Whoever Owns The Land things. Public land, public property.

18-Jan-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Yeah, none of us would pick those up. None of us also own any firearms. The same fella that had the pictures I posted also had this one.

18-Jan-19
We are the public

18-Jan-19
https://www.fs.fed.us/lei/archeological-resources-protection.php

19-Jan-19
ones pictured are probably FAKE ..... every now & then eBay has some listed ..... even though I have a few, one even in a Petrified Bison Bone, but I myself did not find it!

19-Jan-19
Screw the feds

19-Jan-19
Gene Wensel gave $20 for the bison vertabrae with the stone point imbedded in it.

19-Jan-19
Yep, Gene bought that awesome artifact for $20! But he's a smooth talker, you see.....I read that most such artifacts were found at the old animals jumps, many of the heads were used on Atlatls, not arrows and mostly the Indians were finishing off crippled animals.

I always have one eye on the ground for stone points and pottery pieces, but never seem to find any really good things. Have friends that can find amazing things, but they are very serious about it.

19-Jan-19
Used to dig with my great uncle in Texas. From what the have seen, we truly know nothing about how advanced the early North American Stone Age people were and how amazing their tools were.

19-Jan-19
Was changing a tire in Midland TX and as I am down on my knees putting the jack under the axle there was an arrowhead embedded in the asphalt. Tried to dig it out, but no joy.

Found a perfect paleo point when digging a drainage ditch for a dog run. Same place.

Terry

20-Jan-19
When I was young we had some friends with a ranch where the Chumash indians used to build villages. It was tons of fun to go up there and scrape around in the dirt along the bluffs by the creek. They had all kinds of cool stuff, mortars and pestles, arrowheads, 1000's of abalone and bone beads, bone needles, whale bones... They built a beautiful display case in their living room for some of it, and gave the rest to the natural history museum and the Chumash tribe.

21-Jan-19
Every arrow head found has a story. How many of us search for hours for a lost arrow? I figure that the average arrow is worth about one hour of work for replacement. I think the arrow of the time had to be at least five or six hours of shaping and the point even longer. You can bet the folks at the time spent days trying to retrieve each arrow and point. Finding a long lost specimen makes my imagination go wild.

21-Jan-19
I DIY hunted a ranch out west once with a couple buddies for Antelope and Mule Deer. Killed some stuff and had a helluva fun time out there. Got to know the rancher and his family a bit and by mid-week they were warming up a to the guys from Jersey. One day we're sitting in the shade having lunch and the rancher's son say's "Hey, wanna see my Triceratops horn?". We're looking at each other like "huh?" The dude runs in the house and comes out with a legitimate dinosaur horn! He tells us he found it over the hill and says "promise you wont tell no one cause the feds will come and take it".

That was such a great trip.

21-Jan-19

Lee's embedded Photo
Lee's embedded Photo
Was antelope hunting in Wyoming and the old ranch hand showed me a bunch of tepee rings up on a big bluff. Really cool.

I was down in Belize a few weeks ago and stopped in at Bocawina National Park. The family and I were the only ones there and the Ranger was showing us a bunch of artifacts. He had quite a spearhead collection! I couldn’t believe the size of them. I’m guessing for tapir and maybe jaguar. Pretty impressed.

Lee

21-Jan-19
I think knaping an arrowhead might take longer than 4-5 hrs. I tried it and couldn't finish one without breaking it. Plenty of materials here,just not know how.

21-Jan-19
No, have been around a bunch of guys that could make an arrowhead in about 30 minutes.

One that was well finished, shaped, notched and sharp that you could actually kill something with.

Those spear heads are really cool! The knapping looks like only percussion with minimal pressure flaking. Different style than most stuff in North America. Interesting tang shape - like they would have fit them in a hollow shaft like bamboo. Would have tended to slip out, though. Wonder if that was intentional?

• Sitka Gear