Gator 18-Jan-19
Bou'bound 19-Jan-19
BOHNTR 19-Jan-19
Gator 19-Jan-19
No Mercy 21-Jan-19
Ollie 21-Jan-19
bill v 21-Jan-19
18-Jan-19
I have question. I have a few animals to take to be scored for P&Y. It will take a decent amount of time to score three animals. Do any of you do anything for the scorer in way of payment or gift. Do they commonly receive anything, expect anything, or would they turn it away. I know they are volunteers and know there is a fee of $35 but none of that goes to the scorer. I never have in past but am going to give the one I have used last couple of times a call. He has always been a great guy. Invites me into his home. I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Anyways just wanted to know if anyone does anything extra.

18-Jan-19
Official Measurers are not permitted to accept payment for measuring. The single best thing you can do for him is to actually enter the trophies he measures for you. As an OM, there is nothing more frustrating than spending hours of your hard-earned time-off measuring for someone and have them not enter the animal. Many are "just curious" what it will score, but don't really want to enter it. It's not cool to take someones free time and then not enter the animal. The Measurer's only expectation for "payment" is that you follow through on your half of the "transaction" and enter it.

18-Jan-19
I have always done that and always will. I can score a animal have always been with in a inch or two of his score. But I like to enter them.

18-Jan-19
As said above no we cannot take any thing. Just be sure to enter the animals that make it.

When I measure an animal and I’m asked if they can give me anything $$ I say a handshake and join The United Bowhunters of New Jersey or The pope and Young club

18-Jan-19
I need to make this happen for me too as well. I have a handful of animals that should be scored and entered. Support Bowhunting, Fair chase and the P&Y club. If not us then who?

18-Jan-19
As mentioned above we cannot accept any payment for scoring.

After years of measuring I finally started requiring everyone to bring all the info, forms and photos with them when I scored an animal then if it made the minimum score I collect it all and have them give me a check made out to P&Y or B&C for the entry fee, then I send it all in. If they do not have all the info when they come over I do not measure it, which sounds harsh but it keeps me from wasting my time.

This has cut down the amount of time I spend scoring for those that just want a number. Some have been trying to abuse this by claiming they forgot some of the info but will get it to me (which they never do). I have a pile of incomplete packages with score forms do to this.

18-Jan-19
Yeah, can't accept an gratuities. A good hunting story on how it was taken is all I ask for.

I do it similar to Ron.......I require the entry fee up-front before measuring. If the animal doesn't meet the respective Club's minimum, I refund them or give the check back. If they're VERY appreciative and their animal just misses the minimum, I sometimes still refund them and send in the $35 as a donation on their behalf.

18-Jan-19
"and their animal just misses the minimum, I sometimes still refund them and send in the $35 as a donation on their behalf." I'm sure to be missing something here as it seems there's no entry but the otherwise entry fee is donated.

19-Jan-19
and remember the club accepts donations any time. if you want to support them you don't need to wait until you kill a big animal to do it. in fact those unconditional donations are 100% benefit to the club vs. entering animals where they have costs associated that are a reduction of your amount paid.

if you are in a club supportin' mood pretend you have an animal to enter and write the 35.00 check today. It will go to a great cause and be well used.

19-Jan-19
"I'm sure to be missing something here as it seems there's no entry but the otherwise entry fee is donated."

Exactly as Bou suggested above. On some, I have given them back their check and I make a $35 donation to the Club in their name. You can donate at ANY time.

19-Jan-19
The impression I got was the minimums were not met so the otherwise entry fee was donated in the hunter's name. Sorry if this was not the case. I also occasionally make donations to P&Y.

21-Jan-19
The gratuity in getting to see these animals is enough for us measurers. We donate our time to further the conservation efforts of the clubs.

21-Jan-19
Hand him a modest gift card if you like. If he hands it back, use it yourself.

21-Jan-19
I ask ahead of time that if the animal does not make minimum, that they at least join P&y or the United Bowhunters of Pa. and as rock said , I send in the paper work with the hunters check

Bill v

• Sitka Gear