longspeak74 22-Jan-19
longspeak74 22-Jan-19
elkstabber 22-Jan-19
Kodiak 22-Jan-19
Mule Power 22-Jan-19
longspeak74 22-Jan-19
Surfbow 22-Jan-19
21-Jan-19
Been researching which bugle tube to take to Colorado this Fall and am getting lost in all the options. I even tried to make my own this weekend, did not sound great. Currently practicing with a Wapiti River diaphragm call and making progress. Any insight/recommendations from others?

21-Jan-19
I’ve tried them all. I really like Elknut’s Chuckler tubes. So do the bulls.

21-Jan-19
I prefer a small, flexible tube. For me, dealing with something that resembles a wiffle ball bat is a complete PITA!

21-Jan-19
I cut the end off of one and put it on another. It's a good size and very manageable and best of all sounds great.

21-Jan-19
Funny you mention that Rob. I used a wiffle ball bat to try and make my own. That thing was huge and I couldn't imagine lugging it around the mountains for a week.

21-Jan-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I love the sound of the larger tubes . But they are a pain in the ass to hunt with. I have one of each and find my self useing my 20 year old tube that I made out of 3 different bugle tubes. Best of luck . Hunt

21-Jan-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
This. Or a Primos pack bugle.

21-Jan-19
I use the Phelps. Not an elk hunting guru by any means. But, I sound good enough to call in three hunters last year. :^)

Truthfully, I call well. I just haven’t elk hunted that much. So, I don’t have a preference much only to say my collapsible tube doesn’t resonate as well and absorbs the high notes. That why I use what I do.

21-Jan-19
Is the Primos a bite and blow tube or diaphragm?

21-Jan-19
I use the Rocky Mountain tube. I’m comfortable with it but like everyone has mentioned it can be a PITA. If your pack has the water bottle pouches on the side then it straps to the side of your pack pretty well. Otherwise while you’re calling and moving the lanyard can be figured out so you can transition it from your back to in front of you pretty well. Whatever you come up with good luck!

21-Jan-19
Bully bugle

21-Jan-19

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo

21-Jan-19
Yep. Bully Bugle

21-Jan-19
Been meaning to make a birch bark call like they use for moose. I don't try to be the biggest elk on the mountain so I don't need the coffee can sized tube that most offer. I thought that would look pretty cool if done right.

21-Jan-19
Berrys' Thunder Bugle.

21-Jan-19
If your not great with a mouth reed go with berry thunder bugle! Great sound for a fixed mouth piece tube. I’ve gone to a Phelps tube for the last couple years with the BRO (Phelps) mouth reeds. I’ve tried tons of different reeds and these are truly the best I’ve used. Everyone is different in pallet shape, size and tolerance so find one that fits YOU well. I do love the tube from Phelps. It’s large but fits perfect in the scabbard part of my eberlestock pack when not in use. To each his own.

21-Jan-19

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Why not?

21-Jan-19
I use a wiffle ball bat that I cut down and covered in camo duct tape. The duct tape deepened the sound. Its big and cumbersome but it seems like it amplifies the volume.

longspeak74: if your first homemade attempt failed you might try covering it in duct tape to see if it sounds better.

21-Jan-19
Elk Nuts Checkler tube. It doesn't have that plastic sound most tubes have. I used Abe Meline's call for the longest time before replacing it with Paul's.

21-Jan-19
Curt - what is the diameter of the bat you used? The one I tried this weekend was about 5". My daughter has a much smaller one (2-2.5") that I thought about trying as well.

21-Jan-19
Bryan: It's a wiffle ball bat about 5" diameter. It crunches down if I carry it in the pack for too long, but it's no big deal because it reshapes easily. The important part is that you cut the tapering handle part so that you can sort of fit your lips inside of it. Check your PMs.

21-Jan-19
Wiffle bat and a bugle tube holder on the pack or belt.

21-Jan-19

cubdrvr's embedded Photo
cubdrvr's embedded Photo
I’m going to try the duct tape on my diy. It’s a NEW lol toilet plunger from wally world 4.97$. Threw the handle away. Actually sounds better calling into the small end which might defeat the purpose.

21-Jan-19
Don`t laugh....but I use a section of the good retractable vacuum cleaner hose. When retracted it`s about 8" long....you can extend it to over 2' and bend it any direction you want.

22-Jan-19
I used to used a 12" piece of flexible hot tub hose, it was ok. I picked up a Phelps tube last summer and it wipes the floor with my old Home Depot model...

22-Jan-19
Surfbow: what do you mean? Is the Phelps tube good or not? I missed something...

22-Jan-19
That is definitely a toilet bowl plunger. Haha

22-Jan-19

longspeak74's embedded Photo
I made some modifications to the homemade tube last night and finished it up. Elkstabber suggested making the end opening bigger for added volume. Worked like a charm!

22-Jan-19

View of front opening

22-Jan-19
Cool! Glad it worked out for you.

22-Jan-19
Bring a ball for some fun time in camp.

22-Jan-19
Size matters. Bigger might be more work to carry but they sound so much more real. I mean.... if you’ve had bulls up close screaming you know those little tubes will never compare.

22-Jan-19
Planning to club some grouse during my downtime.

22-Jan-19
elkstabber, the Phelps tube is great!

• Sitka Gear