WV Mountaineer 04-Jan-20
Glunt@work 05-Jan-20
Missouribreaks 05-Jan-20
Bowbender 05-Jan-20
Woods Walker 06-Jan-20
Bowbender 06-Jan-20
Grasshopper 07-Jan-20
21-Jan-19
David Petersen, noted hunting writer and a founder of BHA, published the letter below in yesterday's Denver Post. Apparently the Colorado Bowhunter Association is an evil, self-serving "special interest" but BHA is not?

As background, there are some proposals on the table that would screw bowhunters. The CBA is trying to prevent loss of bowhunting opportunity. According to Petersen, this is a bad thing. Read it and judge for yourself.

Hunters must speak up now to protect wildlife

Every five years, Colorado Parks and Wildlife revises its big game season structure, which determines how many licenses will be issued in various seasons for the next five years. That time is now, and if you are among the growing number of hunters who agree there are way too many of us out there in September (unlimited either-sex archery elk tags, plus deer, bear, pronghorn, grouse and muzzle-loading ), now is your chance to help spark needed change. Time is short, with the comment period ending Feb. 4, and I urge you to go online and fill out the opinion survey today. It only takes minutes.

Wildlife management in Colorado is dysfunctional, with science and public interest being overruled by politics and special interests. Please take this opportunity to tell CPW what we are seeing out there and how we feel about it.

If we who hunt in Colorado (residents and visitors alike) don’t speak up, then self-serving groups like the Colorado Bowhunter’s Association will continue to have their way at the expense of the wildlife resource and the vast majority of hunters. (And by the way, I am a bowhunter.)

As a group, we hunters are unsophisticated when it comes to biology and politics, always seeking more opportunity while refusing to sacrifice anything for the long-term good. Now is our chance to change that sad history. Please take the survey.

David Petersen, Durango

21-Jan-19
So, the guy is against Bowhunter’s getting anything but a reduction in licenses. What a genius.

With all the added gun seasons, over killing of cows by rifle quota, and increase in predators that has taken place over the last ten years, this fella thinks it’s bowhunters that should be punished? I can’t get his thoughts.

I love to rifle hunt as much as anybody. But, what this guy is suggesting is a complete oxymoron of the problems. What a jack wagon. Preach about sacrifices, science, etc... yet leave that out as his own reasoning.

21-Jan-19
He did the same thing to us when we were fighting to keep spring bear seasons.

21-Jan-19
Im sure someone we know could produce an eloquently written rebuttal .... Lou?

21-Jan-19
I used to be a big fan of David Petersen's writing. I read every article that I could find and bought all of his books. I outgrew that. I'm no longer a fan of his.

David seems to be making three points:

1. Make your opinion known to the CPW during the comment period.

2. The CBA is evil and self-serving.

3. There are too many bowhunters out there so let's limit tags.

Given that David Petersen has made a living for many years with his writing he must have been limited in published words or else he would have better explained his points. If you've read any of his books you know that he's not short on words.

Unfortunately, there simply isn't enough material in his writing to figure out what he's really getting at. #1 is obvious. #3 has been mentioned here on bowsite a bunch of times. So #2 is the mystery. From what I've learned about the CBA they are the bowhunters' greatest advocates in CO. There is no doubt that the CBA has benefitted all of us that have hunted in CO.

So it seems that David Petersen just wanted to take a free swing at the CBA, probably for personal reasons, if I had to guess.

Jaquomo, FWIW he probably stood against the spring bear season because he simply hates predator hunting. He's written about it a lot. That's primarily what turned me off from him. It's either David Petersen's way or it's wrong.

21-Jan-19
Yes, I think someone who is a wordsmith should write a rebuttal, not only that but someone who gets the big picture.

21-Jan-19
Elkstabber, I was also a fan and have several of his books. But he seemed to drift more and more toward, "If not my way, then it's unethical".

CBA presented hard statistical evidence showing that the miniscule cow harvest by bowhunters is not a factor in the decline of the elk population in SW CO. There are many other significant factors in play, but bowhunters are not one of them.

Petersen is a professional writer. He understands syntax and word counts. He could easily have explained his real intent but for some reason he has a bone about the CBA and chose to generalize and throw the whole organization under the bus in a large public, nonhunting forum. I hope all bowhunters remember this next time one of his books is released.

21-Jan-19
BHA,,, not doing well in the UP,,, for the most part they are anti trapping,,,, at least their reps are, or know little about it or the issues.......

21-Jan-19
Wow! Thanks for sharing that Lou. It's not surprising though.

He makes is sound like the CBA only serves it's officers or an elite group. The CBA represents Colorado Bowhunters. They serve Colorado Bowhunters to the best of their ability. They are all volunteers and do the best that they can. Bowhunting in Colorado would be nothing without the CBA. Thank God they are so self serving.

If you bowhunt in Colorado and don't like what CBA is doing, join, get involved and make a difference. To quote Fred Bear, "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."

There is a lot going on with the upcoming season structures in Colorado. There is a big push to limit all elk tags for bowhunters but not for rifle hunters. I can't think of anything more ridiculous. Get involved people. Make a difference.

There is a lot more I would like to say but I won't.

21-Jan-19
There is so much unexplained innuendo in that post that the point is lost. It only left me confused after reading it.

21-Jan-19
I got sick and tired of Petersen's ramblings in the column he wrote for Traditional Bowhunter magazine. Always standing on his soap box pointing his finger at everyone telling them they were not as ethical as he. He writes about there being too many people buying up prime hunting lands and building houses on wild lands yet he did the same himself...purchasing a house at the end of a road butting up to national forest lands.

21-Jan-19
All right which sponsors do we need to boycott?

Just kidding but really. I wasn't in CO when the spring bear season was voted out, but WV has it right - guy seems like a total jack wagon.

21-Jan-19
I'm a little removed from the situation but I will say this; Having seen what our provincial bowhunting association has done for archery opportunities I have very little respect for any bowhunter who isn't a member of their state/provincial bowhunting organization. Just no excuse for it. There's flaws in every group that might rub some the wrong way but at the end of the day they are doing FAR more good for bowhunting than bad. Hard to see any good coming from publishing something like that in a public paper, aside from maybe satisfying one's own personal vendetta. Disgusting.

21-Jan-19
Is this guy still affiliated with BHA? If so, it gives me even more reason to stay away.

21-Jan-19
BHA? Say no more.........

21-Jan-19
He was the founder of the Colorado BHA chapter, which I believe was the first state chapter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Say, isn't BHS a self-serving special interest group? Last time I checked.....

21-Jan-19
I had a good bowhunting friend that didn't like Dave 30 years ago. I didn't understand then but do now.

21-Jan-19
What this seems to be..... if I'm understanding correctly.... is not even wildlife biology and management, but a failure to grasp simple mathematics. Take away bowhunting opportunity, which is but a fraction of the take..... and don't touch firearms? Is that the gist?

That's smacks of being in someones back pocket. Self interest indeed......

21-Jan-19
I'm one of the lucky ones that know Dave, and the stuff he's dreamed of. Dave was responsible for trying to get a longer season for just traditional bowhunters in Colorado five tears ago. His long letter and signed petition simply stated that traditional bowhunters deserved a chance to hunt rutting elk by themselves.

Dave hates the idea of otc licenses, thinks it should all be a draw now. He hates the idea of otc with caps for non residents, thinks he deserves to be in the woods with less pressure on elk. He's something else...

His stance in BHA is something else. He used to drive his lil Toyota pickup everywhere to get closer to game, off road and all. But yet it's not ok for guys to drive atvs in to retrieve game. He's got quite a name for himself around Durango, has his own followers that really worship him. It's a shame to see him bashing the CBA again, but what else is new from Dave.

21-Jan-19
How are David Petersons personal options and this letter Affiliated with BHA or any other group for that matter?

Looks like its signed "David Petersen, Durango"

That would be like me making a statement and some of you saying I represent the NRA or P&Y because I am a life member in the organizations.

If you want to argue that the guys views are wrong, have at it. I might even agree with you. However if you play the guilt by association card, well I can call bull shit on that.

21-Jan-19
It didn't take but reading one or two of his articles years ago to decide he was an egotistical snob. My opinion hasn't changed.

21-Jan-19
BHA seems to be taking some self-inflicted hits lately, that's for sure! I was considering attending a local "pint night" soon, not as a "joiner" but to see what's up with this crowd. This news makes me even more skeptical.

I don't think we all need to agree on everything, but this guy doesn't seem like he shares that sentiment with the way he's talking. I generally will talk to anyone ... right up until they won't listen to my thoughts.

21-Jan-19
I join my state organizations, 2 of them, since I have a house, in 2 states, just across from each other,,,,, don't ask,,, haha...... my point is its the state bowhunting org that is fighting for its bowhunters...... join the ranks

Colorado Bowhunters Association is a great group, and you would not have spit, without them

21-Jan-19
From: Jaquomo21-Jan-19Private Reply David Petersen, noted hunting writer and a founder of BHA, published the letter below in yesterday's Denver Post. Apparently the Colorado Bowhunter Association is an evil, self-serving "special interest" but BHA is not?

First off Peterson wasn’t a founder of BHA. If you want to who was and when BHA was first organized. Here is a link.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/about

Secondly Peterson was one of several people that organize the Colorado Chapter of BHA. If you want to learn more about the Colorado chapter, it’s programs, BOD, and leadership team you will find it in the link below. However I suspect that none of the facts matter to and you rather post agenda based miss information.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/colorado_bha

21-Jan-19
And for the record, from what I seen first hand of CO seasons of late I agree that some changes need to be looked at. I do not however coming from a very basic user perspective agree that the problem lies in bow seasons or bow hunting. While I admit to being overwhelming Biased towards bowhunting I think it’s hard not to look at the multitude of rifle staggered rifle seasons In CO and as not see it as unsubstainable from a management perspective.

21-Jan-19
So Trial, you're saying BHA isn't a self-serving special interest? ROTFLMAO!

Wonder why he didn't call out the state ML association, or those lobbying for more rifle seasons during September?

21-Jan-19
Yeah. Never been a fan of ol’ “Elkheart” Always seemed like a HUGE hypocrite.

21-Jan-19
In BHA's own words David Petersen is the founder of the Colorado chapter of BHA. he also served as the president of the chapter for a number of years. It is what it is trial.

So you saying he in this letter is speaking for either the CO chapter or BHA? Show me where it’s states that in any way shape or form?

21-Jan-19
And he was on the national BOD. Oops...

21-Jan-19
Lou your your own self serving interest aren’t you? Aren’t we all.

You still didn’t show where other than in your own convoluted mind show where Peterson is speaking for or representing BHA?

21-Jan-19
I belong to all these organizations to promote and protect my interests. Is that self serving? Isn’t it the duty of the organization to serve its membership?

Pope and Young, to promote and protect Bowhunting. BHA, to preserve and protect public lands and water. NRA to protect the 2nd admendment. RMEF to further the conservation of elk and it habitat.WSF to put sheep on the mountain.

21-Jan-19
We have a new governor with ties to animal welfare, we have 4 new wildlife commissioners, with 3 more appointments on the way this summer. We have a CPW with no director. Now is not a good time to be calling out fellow hunters.

I was told Petersen is no longer on the board, but that is hard for folks to disassociate too. Hanoi Jane will always be Hanoi Jane.

I hope BHA starts coming to commission meetings and testifying on behalf of hunters, on hunting issues rather than just being a "land use" organization. I really like some of the members. Ivan was at the last commission meeting, he is awesome. Tim Brass is awesome. Hope they show up and testify on the proposed Bobcat ban, that is a hunter/hunting issue, not a land use issue.

21-Jan-19
Trial, read Petersens letter again. He rips self serving special interests. Calls out the CBA as one. His words, not mine. I agree with you. Every organization I belong to, all three Boards on which I serve, are all self serving special interests.

21-Jan-19
Good point about Polis and the Commission appointments. His husband is big into animal rights, and according to the HSUS, Polis opposed the "so-called Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act (H.R. 2406), a grab bag of the most extreme practices involving trophy hunting and commercial trapping of wild animals".

Not a good time for a prominent outdoorsman like Petersen to be ripping and dividing hunters on a huge public forum.

21-Jan-19
I think your the one that needs to read it again, because nowhere does it state that he is speaking for BHA. He specifically calls out the CBA, and "other self serving special interests". What ever the hell that means.

The issue I have is that you brought BHA into this conversation because its YOUR agenda. The fact that he is a member gives you a, rather weak excuse to take a shot at BHA, all to SERVE YOUR interests. Could it be that the only reason you posted this was to take an unwarranted shot a BHA? There you go being self serving to your agenda.

21-Jan-19
From Dirk’s link, it seems as though he breaks hunters down into two categories; Elite and Slob.

Unfortunate. Misguided.

21-Jan-19
Trial, take a deep breath, buddy. I never said he was speaking for BHA. Simply said he was a founder of BHA. That is true. Its a prominent part of his bio.

I posted it because bowhunters need to know that an outspoken, nationally-known bowhunter is publicly ripping other bowhunters to nonhunters without giving specifics. He is also a well-known divider, as OB and others have noted. He needs to just shut up and work with the Commission for positive change instead of damaging bowhunters in front of hundreds of thousands of readers.

I just hope whatever new policies are implemented that something comes back around to screw him.

21-Jan-19
So Peterson is speaking out of both sides of his mouth then...lol You can`t really disassociate yourself from an organization when you are the "Founder". From that point on....unless you disassociate or clearly state these are his personal viewpoints and NOT that of BHA....which he has done neither. He is speaking on behalf of BHA.

If this was his personal viewpoint he should of stated as such. So as far as most are concerned....he is speaking for Col. BHA.

21-Jan-19
I see no substance in his letter, just bald-face assertions. What are the exact regulation proposals, if any, and what are the exact stances of the CBA on those proposals? "They're self-serving" is no substitute for facts. I *expect* a special interest group to look out for its own interests, that's what they do. "I don't like all those other people in the woods" isn't a logical argument, just whining.

21-Jan-19
+1 DanaC ... "no substitute for facts"

21-Jan-19
Stix,,,, to give the BHA a fair shake, what is their position on trapping? talking to those who manned one of your booths, last year here in the Great Lakes, they were not positive on that....

I was curious on that,,,,, Colorado is not a trapping friendly place anymore, and its going to get worse,,,,,,

21-Jan-19
I hate to break this to anyone but that’s what most organizations do - look after the interests of their members... why the hell would a bunch of bow hunters lobby for more gun seasons and on the same hand why would gun hunters lobby for more archery seasons, access, etc.

Most Everyone has an agenda or is selling something - people that say otherwise aren’t being honest with themselves...

21-Jan-19
Thank you Mr. Peterson for bringing the 5 yr season structure and the CBA to the Denver Post. An official CBA response is forthcoming. Great chance to get our position out beyond our membership.

Todd Brickel Vice Chairman - Public Relations

21-Jan-19
Definitely look forward to it.

Please post here if possible

22-Jan-19
Mr. Petersen's letter resonated with me, so I finally pulled the trigger and signed up with CBA for 3 years...

22-Jan-19
Going to get my wife signed up this week

22-Jan-19
So anyone know if the NRA is going to help us bowhunters keep our tags??? Sarcasm!!

What the hell does BHA have to do with his letter. Please tell me??? This is just a way to put a bad pug for BHA because you don't like them. Grow up . By the way I'm not a member of BHA and am a life of the NRA and a many year member of CBA and I live in Pennsylvania..

22-Jan-19
It's a bummer to see Peterson entering the political fray in this way. I liked his books and I largely agree with him on a lot of stuff.

That said, it's been shown that bowhunters taking cows are having a negligible influence on the topic at hand and I find it very at-odds with Peterson's "mantra" that he should mind that a few hunters "harvest" cows, when the real issue is how many total animals are being killed.

I totally understand gun hunters and bow hunters wanting CO to go to a draw to limit the hoards, whether or not I agree with the move. But honestly, if elk numbers are down, the way to fix that is to address the gun tags as that's where the heavy hitting is done.

Lastly, my opinion is that the attack on CBA was ridiculous and unfortunate. CBA has been a force for good, period. Also, this has nothing to do with BHA and Peterson is not a founding member of BHA.

22-Jan-19
I agree with others that this thread should not be about BHA. Nowhere in his comments did David Petersen mention BHA nor did he claim to be speaking on their behalf. Opinions on BHA should be a separate issue and not appropriate for this thread.

22-Jan-19
I really don't care who he is or what organization he is a part of...he is an idiot! Glad the CBA will print something up.

22-Jan-19
Ollie, I would agree with you if he was just a regular ol' member of the BHA. BUT, seeing as how he is the founder of the Colorado chapter and is very involved with the organization currently; if he wanted to keep his opinion separate from that of the BHA, he should have said as much in his article. The fact is he did not. Thus, a normal and specifically an 'unsophisticated' person might feel as though his opinions represent that of the BHA.

22-Jan-19
Nobody felt he represented the BHA. Only that this is possibly the mindset of the CO chapter members.

Here is the deal, radical ideas cause less then favorable responses sometimes. While I understand separating the two from one another, I also understand Lou’s point. You’ve got a guy that took opportunity to cast a shadow on the CBA. He’s got to expect backlash from it. And, when someone does something as dumb as this, you’ve got to wander why. That’s human. Not conspiracy theories.

22-Jan-19
Hilarious post-modern take on this by a bunch of outdoorsmen.

Saying that his views personally have no reflection on his role in an organization he’s involved with is an abject failure at being honest with ourselves and how history has always worked with humans.

Within this very thread are admissions that interest groups look out for themselves. However, we will absolve Petersen of his interests and leverage with BHA. That’s terrible reasoning.

22-Jan-19
He is a prominent member of the BHA. If he wasn't representing the views of the BHA, he should have made that clear because, obviously, some believe he is representing their views.

Maybe the BHA needs to make a statement now.

22-Jan-19
Regardless of his affiliation it was a d!@khead move to take a public cheap shot at the CBA. 1 motive to that letter. Make the CBA look bad amidst the upcoming agendas and survey issues you got going on out there.

22-Jan-19
Was Petersen a member any other organizations? Or on any other organization committees?? If so should we call them out?? Or only the ones that we don't like?? Does this mean from now on anytime someone speaks, they speak for all organizations that, that person is involved with.

22-Jan-19
If nothing else it is another example of insight into the minds of the leaders/founders of BHA.

22-Jan-19
I think it’s a reflection on traditional archers. Gives insite to what they are really thinking.

22-Jan-19
Dirk, can you link? I don't use my facebook, but I'm curious as to what you're referring to.

22-Jan-19
Dirk, What do you reference? I'm not on book of faces but give us specifics as to what is " enlightening". Are they posting about ending seasons, do they enjoy organic food too much, don't do innuendo and leave.

22-Jan-19
You should get on the community forum here and read some of the treads, enlightening to say the least.

22-Jan-19
Maybe Dave's loin cloth is a little too tight again????

22-Jan-19
DAVID PETERSEN IS A HYPOCRITE HE NEEDS TO QUITE HIS OWN VENDETTA. TO ATTACHE ALL HUNTERS. WHO GENERATE MILLIONS OF DOLLORS FOR THE RIGHT TO HUNT AND FEED THERE FAMILYS. IHAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR 52 YRS. WITH A BOW AND ARROW. AND DAVID CAN KISS MY YOU NO WHAT.

22-Jan-19
"I think it’s a reflection on traditional archers. Gives insite to what they are really thinking."

What?????? Trial, are you saying David Peterson is a reflection on and gives insight into what "traditional" archers are thinking? As a bowhunter who likes to shoot wooden arrows out of different styles and vintages of longbows and recurves (some more "traditional" than others I guess), I take exception to that absurd remark! I am a life member of the CBA and have always appreciated the voice they give me as a bowhunter in Colorado, both when I lived there and since I moved away several years ago. I wish New Mexico had such an organization. As for BHA I have never joined and will never join an organization whose purpose is to lock-up our public land with more federal government regulation and control, providing access only to those willing to hike or horsepack for miles to enjoy hunting and fishing opportunities. I use and enjoy wilderness areas probably more than the average bowhunter (especially because I've lived very close to several wilderness areas for the last 40 years), but that doesn't mean ALL public land should be turned into roadless wilderness areas with no access--not even by mountain bikers. There is a need to responsibly use natural resources on our public lands for fuel, mineral production, and building materials. Motorized public land users should have the same privileges to responsibly recreate on public lands (albeit limited) as those of us who chose to "use the quads God gave us" as BHA used to say so pompously. That doesn't mean I'm not friends with plenty of BHA members but David Peterson doesn't speak for this "traditional" archer!

As stated several times above, all "conservation" organizations are by their nature "self-serving groups". Why form an organization if you don't have some type of mission or purpose? Join the ones that best serve your own desires. If you're a bowhunter who lives or hunts in Colorado, the CBA, while far from perfect, is one of the best bowhunting organizations in the country.

Mike

22-Jan-19
What else is new? Hunters bashing hunters, associations bashing associations. Meanwhile I’m thinking of where I’m gonna hunt in 2019.........

23-Jan-19
Yes Mike I am saying that Petersen is a reflection on traditional bowhunters. I dont have to have facts from his statement that support it. I just get to spout it off as fact. The same way others on here like the OP get to spout of that Petersen in this letter is speaking for BHA, even though he makes no reference to that. They have no facts from the letter to support that postion however they spout it off like fact because its supports their own agenda. Petersen is a traditional archer, he stated he wants to limit archery seasons in CO therefore he must be speaking for traditional archers everywhere. BTW what other organizations does he belong to, so that we can lump them in with him and HIS letter? Why stop at BHA and traditional archers? Nothing like using Absurdity to illustrate the absurd.

23-Jan-19
Trial, why dont you show us where I said anything about Petersen "speaking for BHA". Never, ever did I say that. I simply noted that he was listed as "a founder of BHA" as per his bio and the BHA website.

I also said he is a "noted hunting writer". Does that imply I said he was speaking for all hunting writers too? You need to slow down and think before hitting that submit button. Your habit of twisting people's posts to fit your narrative doesn't help your cred.

23-Jan-19
Lou you're the master of taking cheap shots and then backing way from them. Grow a set at least and own up things instead of back peddling on your E bike all the time. Your opening line didn't stop with his biography. You made sure you ended with an inference that this was one special interest group going after another. When in fact this letter was just one individuals opinion and nothing more. Happy back peddling Lou. " David Petersen, noted hunting writer and a founder of BHA, published the letter below in yesterday's Denver Post. Apparently the Colorado Bowhunter Association is an evil, self-serving "special interest" but BHA is not?"

23-Jan-19
Stix, you're right, and thanks for the polite, well-reasoned post. There are many BHA members who think Petersen is God. If they are bowhunters, I wanted to make sure they understood that their idol, a respected writer and conservation advocate, was throwing the voice of Colorado bowhunters under the bus in front of 250,000 nonhunters who had likely never heard of the CBA before. But he did not mention that he is a quasi-leader, icon, really, of his own self-serving special interest group also trying to influence public policy. That's intellectual dishonesty.

23-Jan-19
Trial, I own every post I make. Again, you're twisting what I wrote into an inference I did not make. The inference from my OP is that he's a flaming hypocrite because his life is about self serving special interest groups. Every single one he is involved with falls in that category. I stand by that and would tell him that to his face if I ever have the opportunity.

23-Jan-19
Definitely some BHA fanboys here

23-Jan-19
Stix. I do agree with you on that. All hunters and all hunter organizations need to unite for the same cause. This will not stop with bow hunting. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. We all need to put the differences aside or the heritage of hunting in Colorado will be lost.

23-Jan-19
Controversy sells. Post something short on facts, with a lot of speculation, with a certain tone, and BINGO! You are trending!

Congratulations, we are now proving to the media that this tactic works and that by that we want more of it.

23-Jan-19
I'm a traditional bowhunter. David Petersen does not speak for me. I disagree with much of what he writes about and have sent several letters in the past to Traditional Bowhunter magazine expressing my disagreements with many of his positions. I don't think it necessary that when we express a personal opinion that we must attach a disclaimer that our opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of every organization that we are a member of.

23-Jan-19
BHA- the AARP of ALL hunters lol Since the early connections to Sierra Club.... Its always the same. If they walk like a duck

23-Jan-19

Grasshopper's Link
Here is the link to our written supposed self serving CBA testimony, supposedly not focused on the wildlife resource or habitat. Let me know if you find it offensive.

23-Jan-19
The Ant-Hunting BHA strikes again.

23-Jan-19
I'm also a member of BHA, and I have to admit I'd never heard of David Petersen before his article in the post. He certainly doesn't represent my position or that of anybody else I know who is a BHA member. I'm sure there are people in every organization whose views do not represent the organization as a whole. That's like saying every democrat is the same as Nancy Pelosi, and every republican is the same as Donald Trump. Saying things like this: "Nobody felt he represented the BHA. Only that this is possibly the mindset of the CO chapter members" shows shallow, unproductive thinking, seeing as Mr. Petersen is not currently a Colorado BHA board member or chapter leader anywhere in the state...

23-Jan-19
What gets me is, instead of talking on the subject of Mr. Peterson, we seem it fit to attack Lou, send him nasty pm's, and thrash him for mentioning the BHA. Seems our priorities are elsewhere except the issue at hand.

Lou, thank you for posting this and bringing it to our attention. It sucks he chose to do that, to throw the CBA and bowhunters under the bus. Sad he chose to send the letter into a major newspaper. If you wouldn't of let us know about this, it probably would of gone without notice. Glad the CBA got involved. Will it help, probably not.

23-Jan-19

JL's Link
I don't know the guy or have a dog in this hunt. I did a little looking around to see what I can glean about him out of curiosity. If you watch his vid clip in the link and read the comments about his books, he seems to be a Dick Proenneke kind of guy. I would not be surprised if he early on wanted to model his life and views after Mr. Proenneke's. He sounds like he was disillusioned with life after the VN War (he was a USMC Helo Pilot) and was looking for it's true meaning. He fancies himself as naturalist and I surmise a purist.

The purist element may be what ruffles the feathers of many. I guess he has his vision of what life's purities are and he writes and works to promote (push?) those views. The below is a description from one of his books WRT to his view of hunters and hunting:

""Description:

In Heartsblood, nationally acclaimed nature writer and veteran outdoorsman David Petersen takes a clear-eyed look at humans and hunting, and reaches conclusions sure to challenge everyone’s preconceptions. He draws clear distinctions between true hunting and contemporary hunter behavior, praising what’s right about the former and damning what’s wrong with the latter. Along with his extensive personal experience, Petersen draws on philosophy, evolutionary science, biology, and empirical studies to create an engaging and literate work that offers a unique look at hunting, hunters, anti-hunting, and, in the words of the author, "life’s basic truths.""

WRT to the BHA....I never heard of them until this thread. Here is what someone(s) posted on Wiki as thier issues or goals:

"Issues[edit]

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers main issues are:[2]

Preventing excessive off-road vehicle traffic on wild land Educating the public on hunting and fishing Preserving natural forests and public lands from development[2]

The group supports federal ownership of federal public lands and is opposed to legislation that would transfer ownership of these lands to states or private interests.[7] Executive Director Land Tawney has stated, "We see states trying to take over national forests and BLM areas as a threat to public lands that could lead to privatization and loss of habitat and access."[5]

The organization supports legislation to ban the use of drones while hunting, calling the technique unethical.[8][9]

The group hosts an annual "Rendezvous" event where members can come together in support of the BHA mission and objectives.[5] "

Someone above mentioned the BHA is connected to or partnering with the Sierra Club. That caught my eye as I'm not a Sierra Club fan at all. I did some looking around on the BHA internals and found the below. I guess it's up the BHA members here to decide if the BHA offers full disclosure and represents their views accordingly.

(You may also want to read about the BHA's leadership...according to this activist-watch website - https://www.activistfacts.com/person/land-tawney/)

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

""Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

One of the latest fronts in Big Green’s spider web

At a Glance

Environmentalist activism is the name of the game at BHA, and hunters and anglers are just the camouflage. BHA has received hundreds of thousands of dollars from environmentalist groups, and BHA executive director Land Tawney has a history of liberal election activism.

Background

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA) represents itself as good-ole-boy outdoorsmen who simply want to hunt and fish and be left alone. But don’t be fooled. As evidenced by both its sources of funding and current leadership, BHA is nothing more than a big green activist organization pushing a radical environmentalist agenda.

Funding

When looking at BHA’s funding sources, it’s easy to forget they have anything to do with hunting and fishing at all. All of its primary donors have extensive ties to environmental activist organizations.

The largest donor is the Western Conservation Foundation, which gave $278,423 to BHA in 2011 and 2012 alone. WCF has given handsomely over the years to notorious environmentalists and animal rights activists, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Audubon Society, Earthjustice (the self-proclaimed “law firm of the environment”), and Climate Solutions, a major proponent of “global warming.” It has also contributed large sums to the Tides Center, funder of all things leftist. It’s hard to imagine Western Conservation Foundation would donate over a quarter of a million dollars to Backcountry Hunters and Anglers if it wasn’t an organization that shared those same ideological beliefs.

The next largest donor to BHA is the Wilburforce Foundation. From 2009 to 2013, Wilburforce gave a total of $110,000 to BHA for a variety of purposes. As with the Western Conservation Foundation, Wilburforce gives heavily to other notorious environmentalists, including the Environmental Law Institute, the Sierra Foundation, and the Union of Concerned Scientists. Wilburforce’s executive director, Tim Greyhavens, previously worked for the Humane Society of the United States, a vegan activist organization with a PETA-like agenda. BHA also received a $69,000 donation in 2012 from Pew Charitable Trusts, which is famous for its ideological tilt. Other donors include the New Venture Fund ($30,000 total), Conservation Lands Foundation ($26,000 total), Lazar Foundation ($25,000 total), and The Brainerd Foundation ($8,000 total), whose mission is “to safeguard the environment and build broad citizen support for environmental protection.” As with WCF and Wilburforce, each of these organizations have deep connections with the environmental movement, which raises suspicions as to what BHA’s motivations truly are.

BHA Leadership

Not only do BHA’s primary donors have extensive ties to the environmentalist movement, but its leadership does as well. A number of top executives and board members currently work or previously worked for notorious environmental activists.

Most prominent is BHA executive director Land Tawney, who ran the liberal political action committee (PAC) calling itself the “Montana Hunters and Anglers Leadership Fund” (MHA). In 2012, this pop-up PAC spent $1.1 million against Republican U.S. Senate candidate Danny Rehberg, who was challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester. The liberal MHA also spent $500,000 in support of the libertarian candidate as a strategy of drawing votes away from the Republican. MHA received several hundred thousand dollars from the League of Conservation Voters, a liberal environmentalist group. Tawney is also a member of the Montana Sportsmen for Obama Committee and previously served as the National Grassroots Coordinator for the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, which, like BHA, is an environmentalist front that poses as a hunter and fisher group.

Taken together, BHA’s funding sources and leadership make clear that the interests of hunters and anglers are the least of their concerns. Environmentalist activism is the name of the game at BHA, and hunters and anglers are just the facade.""

23-Jan-19
The above is just the Green Decoys hit piece that has been been thoroughly defunct. It was funded by a lobbyist for extraction business groups. The money for this hit piece came from non-hunters. This is akin to HRC funding the Steele dossier that the FBI used to wire tap Trump and his associates.

23-Jan-19
Is this Green Decoy's info deemed inaccurate and if so by who? They posted BHA funding numbers which I didn't post. I try not to post bad info. Along with BHA....here are the other alleged left-leaning environmentalist groups posing as sportsman's groups IAW with this Green Decoys site.

https://www.greendecoys.com/

23-Jan-19
Also, Heartsblood is a good book, unless you're a roadhunting, street sign shooting, Amstel Lite beer can littering, high fence hunting type.

He does hold accountable hunters for their actions as everyone of us are on public trial every day and for our very future. Some people won't like that, particularly those that confirm our worst stereotypes to non-hunters who are also the first to cry "big-tent," and "who cares what the lefties think," as they vote away our hunting rights.

I don't agree with him entirely, especially his anti-ranching stance and trad-snobbery.

Lastly, I'm fairly certain I read his book based off the personal recommendation from the OP, another man I hold in high regard but don't agree with 100%.

23-Jan-19
The Green Decoys piece is definitely a hit piece but I haven't seen where the funding ties and political ties of BHA leadership they report were inaccurate. Also, if who funds the Green Decoys piece matters, then who funds BHA may matter as well.

I side with BHA on some issues.

23-Jan-19
JL, there is no independent watch-dog that is sorting out the spit-ball throwing between conservation groups and Big-Extraction. The same investigative journalism that led you to your quote will find the other side of the story.

Your quote is all about following the money. I'd encourage you to follow it the other direction. The interest behind the dollar always has a motive.

23-Jan-19
Ike, before I posted above I did look at what the GD site said about a couple of those other organizations like Trout Unlimited. It did seem there is a big business interest/agenda in their pointing out these sportsman's groups as enviro/left-leaning fronts opposed to the GD agenda. That said....as Dirk noted above...is the info about these groups left-leaning leadership affiliations incorrect? For example....were (was) the BHA's leadership past supporters for Prez Obama via the Montana Hunters and Anglers Leadership Fund ? GD makes that claim...I don't know??

23-Jan-19
Ike, I recommended "A Hunter's Heart", which is a collection of essays Perersen put together from other writers, many of them distinguished in different genres.

"Sportsmen for Obama"? Well... Ok then.....

23-Jan-19
Dirk,

If he made them, (I'm not sure if he did), I disagree with those efforts. He's definitely left of you and I and I knew that from reading his book.

I do agree with him though, on his stance on conserving wild places and holding each other (fellow hunters) read: slob hunters, accountable for our actions. And I'm fundamentally opposed to HF and road hunting, which I view as a lazy whoring of our great heritage, which is his main thrust.

23-Jan-19
After reading that last post from Surfbow, all my problems seem to make sense now. It appears my reasoning ability is on the short end of the pond. James has been telling me that for about 5 years. Now there's two people doing so. You fellas might be on to something. :^)

Serious;y, the only thing I can say is to try and get past the discomfort my statement caused you by being reasonable. My response wasn't the least bit shallow. I didn't bash the BHA or any of its members. Only sated the issue at hand. You have no problems questioning my actions so, you shouldn't be surprised when the same was demonstrated. Especially when such a radical, high profile person openly associates with your club. To be transparent regarding my earlier response, the last time I checked, a bowhunter wrote the letter the OP quoted and, not all BHA members are likely bow hunters. Due to these circumstances, it would seem to me that my shallow way of reasoning things seems more then legitimate.

I did everything I could to keep from bashing the whole organization while stating the obvious. Because as simple minded as I am, I can read and correlate what things are implied by people. And we know Ole Dave does that with his own admission of "collaborating efforts to found the BHA" and, "To start the CO chapter of the BHA".

Back to the real topic, great response from the CBA.

23-Jan-19
You're probably right Lou and I found Heartsblood from there. Nonetheless, there's some stuff in "A Hunter's Heart" that is farther left than anything in Heartsblood.

EDIT: I'd like to reword "farther left" to "critical of slob hunters, road hunters, Big Extraction," and the like. I'd like to think that conservation of not only our animals, but wild places and 'real' hunting (not driving around on an ATV/pickup truck looking for something to shoot), has nothing to do with a liberal mindset. It's a conservative mind set because it's trying to conserve what is valuable from the past, which is the true heart and soul of conservatism.

23-Jan-19
He's an animist. That's his religion. I don't agree with him. But I wouldn't agree with the religious views 100% of anyone on this thread, I'm sure.

If it's ok to shoot a deer in autumn, it's ok to shoot a bear in spring.

He's a trad-snob.

It doesn't make everything he says wrong and it doesn't make BHA an anti-hunting group just because he founded a state chapter. I'm a local chapter leader of the My Wiener for Women Battalion (MWWB). It doesn't mean I speak for men and it doesn't mean that any man who associates with me agrees with 100% of what I believe in.

Everyone on this thread, even men I admire and would share a camp-fire with, I'm sure I would not agree with 100% on all their beliefs, just as I would not agree with everyone at an SCI or Ovis gathering, despite the fact that I have friends who belong to one or both organizations.

23-Jan-19
I think the conflict would be Mr. Petersen's alleged opposition to the things listed above (bear baiting, hounds, etc). That gets back to my perception of him as "purist". A person's view is just that...his/her's view....and that's ok. Where the feathers get ruffled for hunters is when the person tries to force their view or definition of something on other hunters. IMO agenda-driven hunting purists can be just as dangerous for hunting as an anti-hunter. That is not a direct swipe at Mr. Petersen but a broader perspective of the view if you don't hunt like me, you're not a true hunter or you're a slob hunter. Folks get stuck in their bubbles and can't see or won't look outside of their bubbles.

23-Jan-19
I agree with you JL, although I think most people who truly love hunting know what a "slob hunter" is.

Peterson is an animist trad-snob. These sorts have good hearts and are partially right. They're just overly self-righteous. He righteously holds hunters feet to the fire. But he's dead-wrong attacking the CBA as I pointed out in my first post on this thread.

24-Jan-19
Arguing against hound hunting bears, as a purist, is absurd. It’s a total anachronism.

Petersen is a complete fallacy of his own reckoning.

24-Jan-19
"Especially when such a radical, high profile person openly associates with your club."

WV, are you a member of any clubs? By your reasoning, you ought to rethink membership in any group who has a member as 'radical' as Petersen, including your political party, church, archery club, Bowsite, etc. Again, just because the guy started the chapter at some point in the past does not mean he speaks for all of us here currently. Broad-brush thinking accomplishes nothing. You've heard that old quote about what the word 'assume' means, right? Lou was absolutely right (as he usually is) to post his letter and bring it to everyone's attention-hunters need to keep abreast of what other hunters are saying and doing, regardless of what organization they are affiliated with (or not) when they say it.

24-Jan-19
I don't care about his affiliations or his writing or even who he votes for, but any person claiming to be a hunter and then pounding his chest over the fact that he was responsible for shutting down a biologically sound hunting season is a a tool in my book.

24-Jan-19
Bowfreak nailed it! I believe the majority here can agree with his statement!

24-Jan-19
" I'm a local chapter leader of the My Wiener for Women Battalion (MWWB)."

Sorry Idyll, but you're out of the club. Your wiener is known to the State of California to cause cankers and/or mirth effects.

24-Jan-19
I wonder if Mr Peterson considers the Native Americans in Wisconsin slob hunters for being allowed to use spotlights to shoot deer at night? Not torches! Spotlights

24-Jan-19
Surfbow, since the point you just made is exactly what I’ve said all along, why don’t you just say what the real problem is instead of trying to make what I’ve said, aproblem. I thought I made it clear that I wasn’t casting light on any individual. Have I said anything to imply differently? I hope not because that wasn’t my attempt.

Am I missing something obvious here? Are we not saying the exact same thing?

24-Jan-19
Reading the Sun article I have to wonder if Peterson at some point went back and read his own dribble and thought "wow, sounds like I'm talking myself right out of my own hunting rights".

24-Jan-19
Great.... and reasoned.... reply by the CBA. Well done.

WRT BHA...... like it or not....this tool (very accurate assessment by Bowfreak) is associated with it.... very deeply so. Just ask him. It's all over his bio. If you want to defend the org..... then a public disassociation from him would be in order. Or own it. It's going to be linked one way or the other. That some might feel that's not "fair" ..... it is what it is.... lots of stuff in life not "fair". With tools like this it's a package deal....

IF.... in fact BHA is a pro-hunter org and not just morphed into some quasi-Sierra Club..... then somebody ought to tell them to get their nuts off the top wire and make some kind of statement on the matter. Otherwise like it or not they are going to be painted as being in same corner as the tool who was a big part of their founding.... who intentionally and very publicly threw one of the best state pro-hunting orgs under the bus to promote SOMEBODIES agenda. If BHA does not agree with him, then man up and either disassociate or make some kind of statement. But get the hell off the fence. Let it be known where you stand. Or rename the org to Backcountry Hikers and Fashionable Fishermen.

24-Jan-19
I've been watching with interest the start up of BHA here in BC and also the Alberta chapter. There is a debate going on, on the main BC hunting forum. I think watching the players, promoters and members can teach us much about the org. Regardless of the information offered up.

So far, here BHA seems to appeal very much to the under forty, new to hunting group. The ones inspired by Rinella and such that have had what I would refer to as a new spiritual/natural awakening. Almost the new deep state yoga. The "Wild" is almost a creature to them, an admirable, life giving creature that nurtures and needs nurturing. It's love must be returned.

As most older hunters have been nearly life long hunters, we don't actually realize that we share some of this thought, but it's so ingrained that we have never had to articulate it. We love wild places, but the difference is we don't disassociate the Wild from reality. It's natural, but it is not mystic.

Also I believe many of the young BHA are more apt to kill a deer and eat it, in almost a ritualistic way, celebrating their new, raw connection to mother earth. They are much less apt to go into the mountains and hunt sheep or goats and surely not predators. So they see "protecting" these "super wild" places as an act of giving back. Hike, sure, maybe even catch a fish, but that's it. And don't forget that many of these younger BHA members are just that, young! They can still walk for miles and miles with a thirty pound pack, because they know they are not going to be making multiple trips out with heavy loads of meat. So vehicular restricted access is a plus to them.

I believe the mindset of the average new BHA member is more to preservation than conservation. And they have a right to follow their hearts. But I also believe they are being used and misled by a bigger more intentional body. I also believe that many will have moved on from their "know where your food comes from" epiphany in several years and will be on to the next great life-giving movement.

But the aftermath will remain.

24-Jan-19
Ambush, that is some thought provoking insight right there. I'm under 40 (barely), am deeply concerned about sound wildlife management and conservation, and am barely a hunter (quit hunting during college and have still only partially picked it back up). By all rights I should be a BHA supporter 100%, and yet I continually find something vaguely disquieting about the organization. I want to like them, honestly, but there is something indefinably off-putting about them that I cannot quite grasp or shake off.

Though I think you might have actually nailed it. I don't worship Gaia, do not have a mystical connection to "Mother Earth" or nature, and I suspect many of the BHA crowd may indeed outgrow their newfound hunting hobby and simply end up left-leaning (with respect to guns) preservationists with no real understanding of hunting or its role in conservation.

Good chance I am wrong (I often am, about a host of things). Indeed, I hope so.

Good discussion all around though.

24-Jan-19
If there's one thing that this thread is not short on, it's generalizations, presumptions, and stereotyping.

24-Jan-19
Idyll, your kind are all the same :-)

And I’m very specifically talking about the BHA movement in BC.

24-Jan-19
Yes Well done CBA!

I was listening to a Rinella podcast the other night at work....:) he was interviewing some guy about the Prarie Area Rebuilding program in Az. Im in Pa so it didnt have much connection to me. Right up until the guy who has a solid hunting background, states hes partnering with WWF -World Wildlife Fund and they are basically the driving force in trying to "Rewild" the praries, to replace cattle with Bison. I about drove my little Armadillo Sweeper off the road! Why do the "New wave" hunter/bios think that WWF is happy and will never fight to end hunting?

Did not BHA seek to lower non res elk tags in Co and Utah? Fight for the Roadless initiative in Wa? Now one of the originators is trashing a STATE hunting org? But yet the National group doesnt mutter a word..... This is their MO. Remember recently when a western state was trying to delist the wolf and offer a hunting season? BHA didnt make a statement at all until 5 minutes after that state did remove the protective status.

Absolutely fantastic posts above, TD, Ambush and Ben Yahuda- Bravo!

24-Jan-19
You can throw the American Prairie Reserve(APR) into this discussion. Very sly organizations, with longer term plans which will not bode well for today's hunters and values. But wait, many on here have stated "hunters need to evolve",...... here is your chance.

24-Jan-19
Has the CBA prepared and posted a response?

24-Jan-19
>>>"I don't worship Gaia, do not have a mystical connection to "Mother Earth" or nature, and I suspect many of the BHA crowd may indeed outgrow their newfound hunting hobby and simply end up left-leaning (with respect to guns) preservationists with no real understanding of hunting or its role in conservation. "<<<

My feelings also. Every time I step back and try to give BHA an honest consideration of support I find more things that raise my eyebrows, and step back away. The more I learn the father I step away. All the associations with other traditional anti-gun, anti-hunting, anti-everything snowflakes. I think I'll pass.

24-Jan-19
APR, from everything I've read, is not only keeping ranches from being sliced up into 40 acre parcels and sold to urbanites, but also runs cattle on their lands, and allows hunting on their lands.

Forgive me for liking all three of those things...

24-Jan-19
Cattle and hunting are temporary my friend, read their long term commitments, and their associated partners. Can hunters really be that gullible? It appears so.

24-Jan-19
"Has the CBA prepared and posted a response?"

Sure did Nick. Click the link in Grasshopper's post.

24-Jan-19
......But the cattle are to be removed once the bison take hold, as I understood the gentleman.

But when there is something effecting hunters in a controversial way, and a statement is made negatively towards traditional hunting methods, theres ALWAYS a thread that connects BHA.

A recent post on the Pa Game Commision Facebook page, which is a really great tool for the PGC to reach folks everyday, had a review of the 2018 Pa Bear season. Comments follow of course and one lady in particular trashed the PGC for permitting bears being killed by hounds and over baitpiles. She recognized herself as a large carnivore specialist biologist or something of the sort..... I never heard of that tag myself lol she was so intelligent she didnt know that in Pa its unlawful to use dogs or baitpiles. Lol So I go to her facebook page only to see she is a pro-wolf rewilding fan. Its her right btw. But right there on her page she proudly displays her promos of the BHA. BHA didnt make those criticisms of PGC, she did, so BHA remains not connected, butbfor that little thread, Similar to this Petersen situation? So I see a trend here.

24-Jan-19
Sweet! I love hunting bison way more than I love hunting cattle...

24-Jan-19
Dale you stalked someone that you didnt know on Facebook and your seen a BHA promo? seriously, you might not want to be broadcasting that. It's kind of creepy. Just saying.

24-Jan-19
Not really. I would have had respect for her opinion if she was a Pa resident. Therefore I didnt bother to engage her in conversation.... But nice try.:)

BTW Ole Land Tawney hisself was sposed to engage me on the BHA page but of course "poof" he never showed and my access to the posts through some mutual friends was gone lol

BTW- the lady leveling criticsms against the PGC was not a Pa resident.

If any ofvthe western state hunting orgs want a reduction in non-resident elk tags thats their business not mine. BUT heres a national org lobbying for Pa hunting members and their $$$ also support that reduction, when many of those NR's are from Pa!

24-Jan-19
Sorry face book stalking is creepy.

24-Jan-19
"Sorry face book stalking is creepy"

Many employers do just that to look up people that have applied for a job.

24-Jan-19
Way different that stalking some random person that you disagreed with at a public meeting or say on an internet forum. Did you check my Facebook profile cnelk?

24-Jan-19
"Did you check my Facebook profile cnelk?"

Im not hiring

24-Jan-19
"Im not hiring" Agreed and since I didnt put in an application, you passed the creepy test.

24-Jan-19

JL's Link
A semi-related post. The attached link is a long read but it is interesting and provides alot of info about the animal rights extremists and eco-terrorists. The Sierra Club is discussed by a member of one of the extremists groups and how they provide top-cover for the SC. These days you need to know who you're associating with when you join a group.

25-Jan-19
Thanks for posting the link Grasshopper, as usual a very well written and thought out response from the CBA. Seems like a sound plan for that DAU.

28-Jan-19
Some of you espousing your undying love for BHA might want to direct it at the organization itself to right the ship.

Personally, I'm siding with CBH and SCI.....there is no waffling there.

28-Jan-19

StormFiber's Link
Always standing on his soap box pointing his finger at everyone telling them they were not as ethical as he. He writes about there being too many people buying up prime hunting lands and building houses on wild lands yet he did the same himself...purchasing a house at the end of a road butting up to national forest lands.

28-Jan-19
Didn't read all these but maybe he is positioning himself to be Polis's new "Boytoy" and get a golden seat of the Knights of the round table at CPW....

28-Jan-19
ben yehuda,

Why assume these new members will move on completely from all hunting into the next phase of life? They have kids they will hunt with, have memories created and traditions begun.

That is a very broad assumption (leap) about thousands of members. I'm a member, but joined years ago after my lifestyle has been established. I don't worship Gaia (don't use it) . Its far better to have them try hunting, and some move on, than not even try at all.

As far as Land Tawney, yeah, my initial reaction to reading about his support of Obama was the same as most of the posters on this thread. But then consider this - one of my very best friends with whom I elk and deer hunt voted for Obama but we still hunt together. Has it come to this? That we are suspect (paranoid even) of hunters who vote democrat? If someone joins BHA because they want to ensure access to wildlife refuges to hunt small game in the east, how have they become the problem? Dave Peterson alone is responsible for his column.

28-Jan-19
Good one AdventureWriter

29-Jan-19
After reading this thread all I can say is WOW! Good thing none of you ever met or listened to Jay Massey in the 80s. David Peterson is who he is, and is certainly not for everyone. I would say that it would be worthwhile that a person at least consider how and why he has come to his opinions. Had an elk honeyhole in CO from 94 until 2014, when two father son pairs moved into the valley from another state, and bought a few polaris razors, found it, and headed to the highest peak every day to park before moving downhill with the thermals going down into their ladder stands, then in evenings waited until the thermals switched and again drove to the high grazing areas with thermals moving down into the bedding areas. Did the legwork over a couple of years and found another promising area. Went there in mid season and there were more vehicles and people than a walmart parking lot before snowmagendon. Instead of bashing one person, maybe we should all be talking about the disappearance of quality archery elk hunting in Colorado. David Peterson was a Marine helo pilot in Vietnam, and like many veterans has some form of PTSD. No excuse or pity wanted, but believe me, vets usually have a low tolerance for BS. Sitting on top of the mountain in the pre dawn being serenaded by bugling bulls, then hearing the buzzzing whine come up the mountain for 20 minutes and literally drive right into the elk every day for a week, you can imagine the thoughts that come to mind. I have no clue about CBA or dog in this fight between CBA, BHA or David Peterson. I would hope we can at least have an understanding of "why" behind the differing opinions. Especially other bowhunters. I have been around long enough to see compounds take over, and many experessing concerns over the direction things were going. Then to watch as the introduction of crossbows into archery seasons, and listen to the compound bowhunters express the same concerns the pre-compound archers expressed in the mid 70s. I will tell you archery seasons changed drastically with the introduction of compounds, and again, when with the introduction of crossbows, and not to the better, for anybody. Pushing for limitless expansion of opportunity is not always a good thing when dealing with a finite resource. Especially with yukon wolves working their way into Colorado. Things could/WILL get allot worse, FAST! David Peterson is expressing these concerns from a different direction. I see David as somewhat of a canary in a coal mine. Shooting the canary when it starts going off is often not a wise decision.

29-Jan-19
Is the Leatherwall down????

29-Jan-19
Who is pushing for "limitless expansion of opportunity"? CBA is trying to protect the opportunities we have now, which are under assault from multiple directions. It is Petersen who tried to push for expanded opportunity for elitist trad hunters, which would, by necessity, come at the expense of opportunity for those who hunt with modern bows.

Everything in his letter was good until he called put the CBA as a self serving special interest to a quarter of a million non-hunting voters without providing specifics. That's where he crossed the line. He's no "canary". Rather, he's just an obnoxious, squawking parrot.

29-Jan-19
Has the CBA drafted a response yet?

29-Jan-19

TD's Link
TTT..... the CBA's letter, from Grasshopper's post/link from above. Well done.

29-Jan-19
Jaquomo, its good that you posted this topic because I would not have known about Petersons position on CBA otherwise. He speaks for himself, not BHA.

Dirk, again, what is "enlightening" on book of faces with regard to BHA?

31-Jan-19
Isnt it wierd that the biggest critic and complainer on the Pa Game Commision Black Bear Hunting season final statistics site I mentioned above, is also a BHA member??.....and pro wolf advocate? Geeze imagine that......

31-Jan-19
Dale if you need wolves, the Great Lakes can send all you want,,,,, as for the BHA, found out the same thing, and ask how many trappers belong?

31-Jan-19
I recently joined the BHA, and all of the meetings are held at micro-brew places. I hate the IPA/over hoppy hobby beer. Like throwing 3# of pepper on your steak. I will go when I can get a miller lite. Probably need to go anyway to bring some experience and common sense. Lots of young/urban/upwardly mobile types, same age as my kids. Well, at least they are hunting. I disagree strongly with many of David Peterson's positions (he is nuts on Black Bears ,their populations are WAYYYYY over carrying capacity in every state I hunt, including one (VA) that has a 90 day hound bear season!). He is correct about the disappearance of quality archery elk hunting in CO. Maybe the Wolves in WY,ID,MT have pushed hunters into not-yet wolf areas, thus the reason for the rock concert level of crowds in September elk country. I would hope all hunting organizations would work to improve the hunting experience. I have about given up on CO. Simply a waste of very limited hunting vacation right now.

02-Feb-19
"TOO MANY BOW HUNTERS OUT THERE" is normally something that a hunter would say that only uses a rifle and is struggling with lack of success (numbers of game or size of trophy). Its human nature to lash out at something that is an easy target and we know little about.

02-Feb-19
To each his own. But, from what I have seen, which isn't much of the inside stuff, the last thing you need is a fellow bowhunter, sabotaging other bowhunters. Because he doesn't like sharing bow season with other bowhunters. With the increase over the years until recently, of Colorado either sex rifle permits, its an absolute brain fart moment to suggest the problem is bowhunting related.

There is now rifles hunting elk in bow season, muzzle loaders in bow season, and an increase of all sorts of other recreational people in bow season, country wide. Especially in CO. And this butt head takes a personal shot and we are supposed to try and understand his logic. There is no logic to that. NONE.

Elk resources are completely capable of regenerating and sustaining as long as we don't have too many protected predators and too many rifles killing them before it can do so. That is simple logic. No special reasoning to understand that is required.

He did just as Lou and Dirk said. I have no ability to understand his reasoning as anything but self serving.

02-Feb-19
"Its human nature to lash out at something that is an easy target and we know little about."

If that wasn't human nature, internet forums would be terribly boring...

02-Feb-19
Groundhunter- thanks but no big doggies wanted here... But sierra club lite will welcome them! Lol. With Pa having millions of acres of STATE OWNED public land, will one group of eco- hunters be in the lead to have our State Game Lands taken over by the feds?

A battle rages over sunday hunting in Pa. BHA just jumped on the SH wagon to see it pass. Thats good- but now they got their nose inside the tent. One of their members publicly trashed the United Bowhunters of Pa relentlessly over the new implementation of new deer management-AR's- several years ago, on cyber media... For a couple years. Do you see a pettern here? You can't blame BHA directly but its kinda weird their members feel obligated to trash orgs that dont think like them.

02-Feb-19
DaleHajas, Unlike, say, members of other organizations who never trash BHA for not thinking like them. Perish the thought. Right?

02-Feb-19
It's one thing to "trash" BHA on a hunting forum. Quite another to trash one of the leading, and most effective, state bowhunting organizations in front of 250,000 nonhunting voters.

Especially when we are right in the right in the middle of 5 year season structure discussions that could have a profound effect on bowhunting opportunity.

Thats where Mr. "You're a special interest but I'm not" crossed the line.

02-Feb-19
Thanks Jaquomo. You managed to type what Ive been thinking for 10 or so years :) Who the hayl is this national group criticizing the at one time, most respected bowhunting orgs in the country in the UBP? Thats when I went to the old BHA website to find the Sierra club link. I couldnt believe it.

MB- have you criticized your fellow BHA members or just me? :) Perish the thought lol

Only 1 gentleman has manned up to state that Petersen doesnt speak for him- that being elkster. I have respect for that.

02-Feb-19
PA implemented ARs in 2002. BHA was founded loosely in 2004. Nice to see BHA ahead of their time.

02-Feb-19
Mr. Peterson roasted me on an online forum once (in a private message also) about my (traditional) bow setup and how I had no business being in a tree stand with that setup and how he was the almighty standard on elk and bow setups from the ground abs from the stand. Never met me, never asked about my setup (past the limited info I gave in my post (the setup being a 55lb now sending a 540 grn arrow nearly 200 FPS) I tried to reason with him and be polite and he continued with his high and mighty rant against me...I have and will never respect him after that. This only adds to my feelings on the guy

A long line of actions that speak to Mr. Peterson’s inflated view of himself and his arrogant attitude that he displays to whom ever and whenever he wishes when I benefits him or simply makes him feel validated

03-Feb-19
I just bought a mess of books on deer hunting, that I plan on reading at my cabin this month. One is a book by a Dave Petersen, maybe its the same guy, its about the hunters heart,,,,,,, do not know the guy

03-Feb-19
Hunter's Heart is a good one because it's a collection of essays from great writers outside the hunting literature genre. Some very thought-provoking work in there from intelligent people who aren't in the "hook and bullet" world.

03-Feb-19
DaleHajas, I have no problem with folks calling out Dave Petersen, or anyone else, when they take positions that are contrary to bowhunter interests that comply with sound conservation policies. In this instance I happen to side with Petersen's critics. But Petersen's association with BHA is beside the point. His views in this matter are his own. We have all heard or seen people say things that might not reflect well on an organization they are associated with. But most reasonable people usually manage to separate such remarks from the organization itself if they were not said in the context of an official statement. And that's true even when the organization happens to be one that people may disagree with.

03-Feb-19
MB- agreed and I have no issues with that post. This crap happens all too often with this org without any response from them. If Done with intent its called "nudging".

01-Jan-20
Sorry to necro this thread, but I am fairly certain I'm the "ethical hunter in New Jersey" that Petersen is referring to. About 20 years ago when I was finishing one of my degrees, I did my thesis for my philosophy degree (well LA-DEE-DA to ME, I know that comes off as nerdy and elitist) I spoke at length with him, he even made and gave me a bow.

What I will NEVER agree is right is for one hunting organization to bash another on a public forum. There's not enough of us and our numbers are dwindling. There was a time when I would have said the ethics of the hunt take precedence over giving our brethren a pass, but over the last 2 decades things have gone far worse than anyone could have anticipated.

His choice of words is also inexcusable for a professional writer:

"Wildlife management in Colorado is dysfunctional, with science and public interest being overruled by politics and special interests." Going on to seemingly define that "special interest" as a state bowhunting organization- I hope that was just an epic mistake, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

My take on it is this- coming from a state that is the perfect model of this problem (NJ)

#1-Wildlife management is dysfunctional. TRUE- biologists have been reporting data pretty objectively, and the public in general is not listening. Where I live in NJ, I had a biologist come out because there were so many bears my kids couldn't play in the yard and the bears destroyed $300 "bear proof" garbage cans. The biologist PINGED OVER 30 BEARS WITHIN A MILE OF MY HOUSE. THOSE ARE JUST THE TAGGED ONES. The response of the state was to try and ban bear hunting from the "cute and fuzzy" crowd (now the majority). People here - despite the fact everyone knows someone in their family or has been involved in an vehicle collision with a deer causing thousands in damage, injury and/or death of the driver want to STERILIZE deer at the cost of about $1000 per animal. When culls are needed, only the cops and their buddies are allowed to shoot ("the paper always refers to them as 'professional sharpshooters' whatever the hell that is) and they largely leave the meat to rot except in some cases where it's donated to a kitchen. But not at 3am when they shoot 100 deer. Ain't NOBODY dragging 100 deer out of the woods in 1 night. Which then leads to the absurd coyote and bear problems we have,

#2 Politicians win elections just by saying they will stop hunters. Phil Murphy won (IMO) based solely on that and his froting at the mouth at high capacity magazine- which is anything over 7 rounds effectively making every police officer in the state a criminal overnight because they forgot to put in that provision (OOPS!). No grandfathering. This was later amended along with Phil Murphy reneging on his promise to stop hunting (HAHAHAHAHA!).

In the few small pieces of land a guys can get to within a half hour of his house, it IS filled with the "orange army" despite massive restrictions and truly unintelligible zones/regulations/game limits/etc. which change yearly and often mid season. In fact, there have been some years where you have to call in at 5am to see if the season is still open.

David Petersen should know better than to bang out a poorly written, confusing piece of trash like this. I know what he's talking about and you'd probably agree if he properly composed this ridiculous letter, but the damage is done.

Think, Petersen- this is literally what you get paid to do.

Was there ever a retraction or explanation of these hastily chosen words?

01-Jan-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I'm still stuck on your third word from your post Motega. I'm so out of touch with all this new lingo. Would one of you dudes down with the language care to help me out. NECRO, to my defense the dictionary wasn't even any help.

01-Jan-20
Scrappy, I believe he means raising from the dead..

Excellent post, Motega. And very timely, given that we here in Colorado are in a fight for the future of elk, moose and hunting here in CO with the wolf-forcing ballot initiative, and the organization Petersen helped found, BHA, has decided to "sit this one out".

There was no retraction from him. He truly believes what he published. Those of us who watched him support the anti-bear hunting ballot issue back in '92 are not surprised. He is all for hunting as long as everyone does it his way, for his approved species, under his parameters, using his methods.

01-Jan-20
So sad. His books inspired me, though it was because of the steadfast adherence to "fair chase" taken to the extremes. Growing up on the "horn porn" of the early hunting shows filmed in bad quality and emphasizing just the kill put us in a bad light.

There is an unfortunate tendency with philosophers to get stuck on semantics. Back to the earliest roots of the American spirit of fierce individuality authors like Walt Whitman, celebrate the individual even when they are hypocritical. I mean the whole damn "Blades of Grass" is ABOUT self-aggrandizement - "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." Or consider this bit of nonsense paradox from every Western philosophy 101 class: "THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE" (think about it until you see the paradox). Petersen is stuck on the idea that his definition of hunting is this pure act of participating as honestly (as he sees it) as possible in the human predator vs. prey relationship with little room for straying from a strict moral code cobbled together from prehistorical or native practices where it's the simplest of tools aided by the mind alone that is the only way to "truly" hunt.

No before you flush ALL of that down the toilet ask yourself where your own personal limits are... Odor elimination is probably not remotely on anyone's list of unfair tactics. How about trail cams en masse sending real-time data surveilling game? I won't do it, but I'll certainly enjoy the tender loins of an animal you shot that way, and it doesn't present much of a moral objection these days because even then there's an AWFUL LOT of work that goes into a successful hunt. How about the new rangefinder/electronic scope combos that light up a target dot after doing the math of your bullet caliber, weight, charge, temperature, wind drift, and elevation? Drones? Spotlighting/jacking is illegal so most would say they are OK with it, but would you if the law permitted it?

I won't tell another hunter what to do except to trust the BIOLOGISTS when they are left to do their job without the pressures of the politicians or anyone but their own.

I choose to do things a little harder than most, but I keep my commandments to myself. I'd like to see hunters exercise as much patience with the general public as possible so we can continue to enjoy our sports, and while we should police our own ranks as far as the law is concerned, it's gotta stop there. I have no more business telling a guy how to legally hunt than I do how to to dress. I may not like to see a dude in a Brazilian thing on a beach and be repulsed by it, I may tell my kids not to do the same, but I'm not going to climb on top of the highest lifeguard stand and shout about it up and down the beach.

David lost his way, probably out of well-intentioned frustration, but that doesn't excuse it. If the biologists weren't pressured to make the decisions he's got no business inserting himself between the science and his own personal ethics.

I'll leave you with some quotes from a much older and more grounded hunter-philosopher who didn't have to wade through the murky waters modern day technology has presented. Jose Ortega y Gasset in a truly great work "Meditations on Hunting":

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

"The hunter who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude, with no witness or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the roaming cloud, the stern oak, the trembling juniper, and the passing animal. "

Happy New Years guys-

....When you are fed up with the troublesome present, take your gun, whistle for your dog, and go out to the mountain...

01-Jan-20
Yes, horn and hide porn is the hunters image, and downfall.

01-Jan-20
When someone says there are “way too much of us,” it generally means “you” not us. The feds love to use “us” up here when setting rules for “our” land, another oxymoron.

01-Jan-20
BHA - Colorado chapter responded that we are about keeping public lands public and accessible. I'm paraphrasing from my phone call to them. And, to be fair, that is the mission, mostly. I'm a member and would like to hear them address wolf issue although its beyond the scope of what we emphasize. Perhaps it would run the risk of alienating "adult onset" hunters and other contributors.

01-Jan-20
It also doesn't help that BHA has one of the strongest advocates of wolf forcing on their national Board of Directors.

This is why I suggest that BHA is little more than the Sierra Club in camo, co-opting young idealistic millennials who also happen to sometimes hunt and fish. When a major threat to hunting on public lands jumps up, they hide behind the "that's not our core mission" mantra. Land Tawney is probably too busy fundraising for Elizabeth Warren to be concerned with this issue.

01-Jan-20
Boom. Lou's last post sums things up pretty well.

01-Jan-20
It should be Backcountry hikers and anglers because they are not about hunters or hunting.

02-Jan-20
They seem to be very similar the American Prairie Reserve. Short term pandering to the oftentimes uneducated, uninformed and gullible hunter,.... with a longer vision to establish a National Park with no hunting. Hunters had better wake up.

02-Jan-20
When hunters support organizations such as these, what they are really doing is selling out the next generation of hunters. This is very selfish of the hunting community.

02-Jan-20
My best friend, who I hunt with, is the biggest Lefty you will ever meet. He is a BHA member, what does that tell you...................

You have poor judgement or few friends?

I am just kidding, couldn't pass on such an open barn door.

02-Jan-20
Ground Hunter, my good friend who I hunt with is a lefty, but not a member of BHA. What does that tell you...... Nothing.

Missouribreaks, if someone hunts ducks, turkey, coons on public land but doesn't bow hunt elk do you think they are not supporting your interest? They are selfish? Selling out hunters? We need more voters hunting even if they are not hunting the species you prefer.

02-Jan-20
You missed it, I meant those who actively support orgs like the APR and BHA. I made no mention of those hunters who do not.

02-Jan-20
Guess I'll throw the magazine renewal in the garbage.

02-Jan-20
"We need more voters hunting even if they are not hunting the species you prefer"...

Ummm, not necessarily. Socialist liberals who also happen to hunt occasionally are NOT who we need voting. I'm willing to bet that more than 80% of voting BHA members in CO will vote "yes" for wolves.

02-Jan-20
I supported them for a time when public land being sold was a hot topic. I don't think the "hunter" in the name is "us" and don't support them any longer.

02-Jan-20
BHA is NOT attracting new people into hunting and fishing. Sorry-you are wrong in that statement. They may be giving some very part time outdoors people some sort of face in a crowd, but they are not recruiting anyone into our lifestyle. In fact, they are misleading the current crop of young outdoors people by only telling them part of their agenda. You can believe this organization is good for hunting and the future of hunting if you like, but the underlying animal rights/left wing agenda does not, in fact, support that.

02-Jan-20
Lil news flash, just because the flatbrimmers support Sunday hunting in PA, doesn't mean they were influential in its passing. I have been following this for years in PA, and BHA or their support has never been mentioned. They were not a lobbying force.

And guess what? Everything we currently enjoy as far as hunting, you can thank "a bunch of old, wrinkly, grey haired, white guys."

02-Jan-20
Same with the American Prairie Reserve. Some hunters are gullible, thus selling out the future of hunting for the next generation of hunters.

02-Jan-20
Old thread up and kicking. Wish it would have stayed dead.

The most important conversations I have are the ones with non-hunters, anti-hunters or adult onset hunters. Since hunters will never be the majority, making sure I'm capable of intelligently conversing with the majority to ensure that they understand the cultural, ecological, etc. importance of hunting is the, singular, most important thing I can do to ensure that hunting (holy shit, yes, hunting, not "hiking") sticks around for my kids, their kids, or generally for as long as possible/sustainable.

BHA provides the most effective platform to do that. BHA does not 100% align with traditional hook and bullet crowds -- nor was it meant to. And yes, BHA's original message was heavily "protect public lands" from sell off/transfer -- and yes, I agree that threat is a bit strained. But, what BHA has done is forged new relationships that even if they aren't immediately hunter-centric, they create an opportunity for me -- a dyed in the wool hunter -- to have a convo with someone wearing a Patagonia vest because they heard a podcast.

BHA is definitely not perfect. I would not pit BHA against CBA as Petersen did -- that piece is unfortunate. But equally unfortunate are the comments on this thread that claim omniscience of BHA, all of the chapters, all of the projects that are geared towards hunters -- the SW Elk problem being a case in point. BHA never took a position on SW Colorado elk herds, but the Durango chapter is involved. Same with wolves, BHA probably won't take a position, but the leadership component of BHA and its members are.

As for the "grey haired, crusty, wrinkled old white men" comment, there is, of course, a kernal of truth to that, but that's too simple to just lump eveyone on this thread into that category. Some of the best ideas upon which BHA/CBA/WSF/RMEF/MDF rest are crafted by those people. We ought not cast out the good with the bad -- but as paradigms do shift, we ought to recognize when ideas are no longer effective.

The season structure in Colorado is an example of where CPW staff said things need to change in the SW. That was never BHA's position and is not BHAs goal. CPW bios recognized an issue, fashioned a response, and supported that response with data. Steven Rinella's anecdotes about hunting in SW colorado during muzzy season, the number of people that showed up at the Durango BGSS meeting, and ubiquitous (unanimous) perspectives of crowding and elk numbers obviously didn't help arguments for the status quo. But, I digress.

I'll keep my BHA membership. I'm going to keep hunting. I'm going to keep working to protect hunting. That's all I can do.

02-Jan-20
You guys have lost your minds. Why would you support any group like the NRA, BHS, Etc. that wasn't self serving? Thats the point of groups and lobbyists, to lobby for YOUR interests.

Petersen needs to be careful before he Zumbos himself.

As a general rule, in my time working with special interest groups and state/local chapters of groups like these we are our own worst enemies.

I've EASILY had more rights taken away by other sportsmen than I've ever had taken away by antis. United we stand, divided we fall.

A couple years back the state of California illegalized all trapping of bobcats. The entire time they were moving it through the legislative process they promised that they wouldnt try to ban hunting bobcats.

After trapping was illegal they snuck in a ban on selling any bobcats killed in California. After that went through, and there was no more commercially harvested bobcats it was easy for them to say the only reason people were still hunting them was for bloodsport.

As of 12/31/2019 it's now also illegal to hunt bobcats in CA. You might think so what, its California. They probably dont have many cats. Well you would be wrong. CA is easily one if the best cat trapping states- or I should say it was...

Hunters didn't stand with trappers because they were promised nobody ws as coming for their sport.

I see the same thing right here on this site. Lots of Bowsiters despise gun hunters. Guess what. There are a hell of a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters. We should want good relations with all user groups

Michael

02-Jan-20
Hey Dirk, I think you've skipped over everything I wrote to quibble (again) with a project from which you'd extrapolate a categorical maxim that (SURPRISE!) you don't agree with. I don't quibble and I don't know why BHA would support such a bill.

02-Jan-20
All this stuff has just gotten divisive and petty. We as a hunting community should be standing up together against those that want wolves and want to reduce our rights and opportunities as Sportsman and most of all impact the possiblity of our future generations to take part in our hunting heritage. Remember the ancient proverb 'The Enemy of My Enemy is my friend". We all have a common enemy in the anti's and the pro wolfies and anyone that wants to take away our heritage and culture.

02-Jan-20
"I don't quibble and I don't know why BHA would support such a bill."

I would think such a passionate advocate of BHA would at least want to know. Or is ignorance truly bliss?

02-Jan-20
I don't have gray hair or wrinkles...yet...

02-Jan-20
Dirk, not that it matters immensely to my original post, but I'm not a life member of BHA. I'll extend a courtesy correction here.

I am on the sportsperson's round table. It's a privilege.

And Bowbender, ignorance isn't bliss, but we all have limited bandwidth and I can't (won't) chase every quibble on a bowsite thread to its logical terminus. Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

02-Jan-20
Dirk, a few of us here tried to get some BHA members to explain that a couple years ago. Seems not one of them knew much about it then. No different then now.

The BHA must be much more then they seem. Or, more hunters are blatantly left leaning then seems possible. Politics. You gotta love it. It even confuses wrinkled old white guys sometimes. SMH

02-Jan-20
"BHA helps augment the work of the real biologists and game managers,.."

If that's the case where is there support opposing the ballot initiative for reintroducing wolves to Colorado against the recommendations of real biologists and game managers? Perhaps they don't want to alienate those newly forged relationships with groups that are not, what was the phrase, "hunter-centric"

"I can't (won't) chase every quibble on a bowsite thread to its logical terminus."

I wouldn't call the support of HR 3794 a quibble on the Bowsite. So instead turn a blind eye.

Those of us with a few gray hairs and some wrinkles (Lou notwithstanding) have fought this fight for possibly more years than you have been alive. One thing you can be sure of. The opposition never stops. Ever. Their idea of compromise is not to give an inch. When a method of hunting comes under attack, see if the Pata-Gucci crowd aligns itself with you. See if your less than hunting-centric groups come to your (our) aid. Sorry, but Charlie Brown ain't trusting Lucy to hold the ball.

02-Jan-20
I'm half sorry I brought this back from the dead as it only underlines the problem.

To suggest BHA is a bad thing is silly- you may not agree with every position they take, but they remain truly dedicated to the core problems we face and I'm proud to be a member. I hope that we can all put aside small differences to see the larger picture. It's easy to sling stuff online, if all f you were around a campfire at hunting camp I'd bet 99.9% of this would be settled agreeably in the time it takes to cook a loin extra rare. If you enjoy hunting camps y'all better learn to put aside your relatively small differences or there won't be any hunting camps in your grandkids lifetime.

02-Jan-20
Great to hear, Stix. How are they going to vote on the wolf initiative?

02-Jan-20
A friend of mine was a co chair of bha in Wyoming. Raised more money at his Casper pub shindig than all other Wyoming chapters combined. They kicked him out because he wouldn’t oppose a proposal to remove crossbows from the Wyoming archery season.

They’re far from just public land advocates. I wouldn’t give them a dime.

03-Jan-20

Woods Walker's Link
Hmmmm......... If it quacks like a duck.....?

03-Jan-20
I’ve never heard of BHA before seeing this....... Then I saw a couple of their members on TV hunting turkeys (rerun) on a local PBS hunting show. That’s the first I’ve ever heard of them in Michigan. Must not be very big here.

03-Jan-20
The irony is, despite Petersen's view that there are too many bowhunters in Colorado, he probably never misses a season. So really, his view is that there are too many bowhunters who aren't named David Petersen. I'll listen to Petersen's argument when he demonstrates that he believes in his own cause by ceasing to hunt in Colorado until the regulations change.

03-Jan-20
Woods Walker, Thanks for the link it seems pretty obvious to me what their adgenda is.

03-Jan-20
The BHA is definitely a duck....trying to camouflage itself in hunter orange.

Matt

03-Jan-20
Oh boy I hope this is all we talk about tonight at Hooters!

03-Jan-20

KSflatlander's Link
I'm not sure activistfacts.com a.k.a Richard Berman is the best source to use in determining if any organization is good or bad. I'm not hijacking this thread but just wanted to through that out there.

03-Jan-20
It's absolutely fair to question Richard Berman based on who he is funded by and associated with.

Same goes for BHA and any other organization.

03-Jan-20
Ks, I'm not sure your source, SourceWatch, is the best source in determining anything, considering it is a far-left progressive activist organization. Not that they would EVER slant any analysis of anything conservative-leaning.....

03-Jan-20
Stix, the posts you went back and edited proclaimed you were pro wolf. So, I’m assuming from your own words you have zero problems as long as they aren’t released in Colorado.

03-Jan-20

Woods Walker's Link
We've been down this road before 5 years ago. Same questions, same responses. I guess some things never change!

03-Jan-20
Stix.... a good bit of your entire post above would be the same if you inserted Sierra Club in place of BHA.....

Seems very reminiscent of the RMEF around the time of the wolf intro. Over time they had been very much derailed off of their original mission and much of the leadership slowly taken over by "Sierra Club" mentality. They sat on the sidelines as several in the leadership were actually publicly supporting the introduction. A great number of the membership were screaming for the club to get off their azzes and take a stand against the intro.... or at least some aggressive management such as WY wanted.

When the whole debacle went completely south, membership got off THEIR azzes and cleaned house. Leadership got active and made a stand. A bit too little and way too late.... but at least they righted the ship and started tacking in the right direction again. And their support and political pull has been a great help.

Maybe the current membership of HUNTERS within the BHA should do the same? They are in many opinions much too cozy with full blown anti hunters. And these are holding far too much sway in the org. That or just go on ahead and become a chapter of the Sierra Club as seems to be the direction. Baby and bathwater thing.... maybe the baby is worth saving.... maybe just the bathwater cold and filthy.... dump it. Refill.

If you think that may be a bit extreme..... you folks have not a clue of what the Sierra Club was 40-50 years ago and what it has currently morphed into. Some of us old wrinkled guys have something called "prospective" and have seen what goes on. We aren't what some may describe as "born yesterday".....

03-Jan-20
Aww yes, the "modern huntsman" movement is alive and well in this thread. I can feel the brim of my cap straightening ever so slightly as what's left of my hair grays and my eyes wrinkle. At least I can still recall with wistful bliss my days of ignorant biological wandering.

03-Jan-20
Or maybe it’s just remotely possible that the modern archery industry has finally succeeded in killing The Goose?

03-Jan-20
Amen Brot, Amen.

03-Jan-20
The biggest thing with federal lands is that your vote as a local and hunter is nothing when all the anti, city dwellers vote or write letters. As the feds up here grab more and more land, we see things like trapping, atv’s and snowmobile use disappear as our input means nothing. We overwhelmingly voted to allow trapping, bear hunting with bait, and no more expansion in our town which is over 1/3 federal with a huge loss of tax revenue. People in urban areas, where meetings were held, voted with the federal Communists. BHA is cutting their own throats if they cozy up to antis. The hikers, kayakers, and canoeists found out when they were locked out of certain waters and couldn’t just pull up along the road and drop in a kayak or canoe. Up here, a kid can’t even ride a bicycle on Fed land. good place to grow pot though as the feds don’t stray too far from their pickups. I found a hell of a garden a few years ago.

04-Jan-20
I seem to appear to have been more vocal back then:) I may have changed but BHA has not.

The first BHA website, (before they were uncovered) before they changed up the web addy and page, had the Sierra Club listed on their ‘Sister Website’ links.

This needs to be read again and again....

“ From: Jaquomo01-Jan-20Private Reply It also doesn't help that BHA has one of the strongest advocates of wolf forcing on their national Board of Directors. This is why I suggest that BHA is little more than the Sierra Club in camo, co-opting young idealistic millennials who also happen to sometimes hunt and fish. When a major threat to hunting on public lands jumps up, they hide behind the "that's not our core mission" mantra. Land Tawney is probably too busy fundraising for Elizabeth Warren to be concerned with this issue.

Wonder if Tawney and Obama are going to the big funeral gig in Iraq?

04-Jan-20
The BHA's should be viewed as an enemy to hunters. I met the guy overseeing the NM chapter several years back. More like 10 years back. Full blown liberal! Talks a good game on the surface, but when you start peeling back the layers on what that org is all about, you quickly see the elitism and socialist views.

04-Jan-20
BHA is a staunch supporter of hunting for fish and craft beers. You guys need to get your stories straight! :-)

04-Jan-20
Bingo Dale. You nailed it. The old BHA page sure did have that on it. Which is why you, others, and myself took task with them years ago. And, just like now, none of the members seemed to realize that. And, when linked and showed as such, they grew silent and withdrew from any thread that pointed that out. After attacking the messenger pointing it out.

Honestly, 99% of their membership seems truly lost to what national claims, the clubs funding, what national's stance is on any topic, what the club truly promotes, etc... They join based on the clubs mission statement or, local chapter contributions to trail work, etc..... And, will argue the benefit of the organization based on nothing but the reason they decided to join. With zero research or willingness to look past their own preconceived notion of what the BHA truly works to achieve.

Looking at this thread at how members like Stix manipulate their words to disguise their intent is no different then listening to national's mission statement versus what they spend a good bit of their time actually doing. Stix originally claimed he was pro wolf, deleted that during editing, and has since went on to explain how he is against any wolf introduction in Colorado. However, when asked, he claims he has no opinion on reintroduction anywhere but Colorado. Come on man. Which is it? It's the same stuff you hear from most of the outspoken members. They say what seems digestible while truly hiding or dismissing their true feelings. I'm so tired of hearing how their fight for public land is their only goal when research will tell you they are far more involved taking opposing stances on the current administration's appointee's, some random sage grouse study, or how conservatives are plotting to "Sell Public Land".

The national chapter is nothing more then a political tool. Period.

05-Jan-20
When BHA first came on the scene, my first reaction was that it was likely an organization that would fit me. I rely on public land for most of my hunting and understand how important it is for the future of hunting. Too many flags popped up. David Petersen, ties to some pretty far left political figures and groups, etc.. Although I have agreed with their position on some issues, other issues we part ways. Thats not automatically a deal breaker since it's the case with most organizations I have joined. Just too many things setting off my spidey sense. Over the years its clear I wouldn't have stayed if I would have joined.

The recent partnering with Patagonia was a biggie for me. Patagonia has a link on their website for donating to HSUS. I read the rationalization BHA put out for working with Patagonia but it didn't sway my opinion of the move. I have no problem being in the same camp on an issue when I agree with them on but they aren't a fit for me. Environmental issues will often find us hunters with some teammates we normally see on an opposing bench but there are limits.

They have done a great job with branding, reaching young people and overall social media presence. I have friends who are members and they are all good guys with great intentions.

05-Jan-20
There are still many hunters who vote liberal in elections. This tells one how committed they are to the future of hunting.....they are voting AGAINST hunting. Some so called "hunters" I will never understand.

05-Jan-20
Is Dave on BS?

05-Jan-20
"The recent partnering with Patagonia was a biggie for me. Patagonia has a link on their website for donating to HSUS. "

As I stated earlier, when hunting is under assault will the Patagonia crowd step up and help? And as seasons are lost or cut back I suspect those new found hunters that BHA attracted on college campuses will move on to the next "cool" thing.

06-Jan-20
And I'm still waiting for my answer from 2015 Stix. Or do you still don't know or care?

06-Jan-20
"Actually a majority of our new campus members have in combination became part of state chapter leaderships, staff, or life members benefiting from the life member packages from our corporate sponsors, (Kimber Firearms, Savage arms, Federal Premium, Leupold Optics, etc.)"

Hey, that's awesome!!! Leadership and staff positions filled by those with no or limited hunting experience. Silly me....forgot... BHA and it's alliances aren't hunter-centric.

07-Jan-20
Stix,

I'd like to mention an item you brought up - STL.

Not disparaging BHA, but STL is a drop in the bucket of what we should be doing. It is possible, and likely, that much of the new rec leasing is still going to be ag leased, not sure how it will all work out, and we should have access to all of it, but if it is all over grazed - what did we gain? You guys want STL bad just because it is public owned and apparently we should be entitled. I find very little about STL exciting.

What we should be doing is what Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are doing. We had BGAP for a few years, and for years now CPW was supposed to be launching an access working group to expand private land access for big game. We need west of I-25 access expansion. In no way should we be tooting horns yet, our access still sucks comparatively.

• Sitka Gear