ND String Puller 25-Jan-19
Tomtana 28-Jan-19
Tomtana 28-Jan-19
23-Jan-19

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Saw this posted on a state forum:

23-Jan-19
Trapping for a living and actually making money off of it would be just about as great as being a Playboy photographer.

23-Jan-19
No, Ike....no it wouldn't.

23-Jan-19
Well I assume a judge will hold this up.

23-Jan-19
As long as the Scientists get to make the rules and everybody sticks by them.... Win, Win, Win, Win, Win!

23-Jan-19
There has been a 700 dollar refund per wolf for the last several years you just have to be registered with them. I can’t remeber who does the reimbursements it’s a sportsman asssociation or something like freinds of wild life.

23-Jan-19
Awesome. Go get them guys!

23-Jan-19
Sorry it is the foundation for wild life and it is a 500 bounty per wolf

23-Jan-19
ID still has quotas. This won't kill any more wolves than is allowed, it'll just hopefully get more people to fill out the quota. Part of the problem is that ID has such huge wilderness areas that act as a reservoir for wolves and I bet no one's trapping that far in. If we could get the season in WY back and have this sort of thing there, I'd donate.

23-Jan-19
I also believe you need receipts for expenses but they count pickup payments snow mobile payment gas ammo just about anything, according to my friend who is a wolf trapper

23-Jan-19
Damn, makes me wish that Texas would go ahead and start annexing ground to the north and Wyoming and Idaho could annex south till we squeezed out the blue goo in the middle... Pretty sure we could build a wall and get laws through that would allow us to get rid of useless vermin, four legged or two!

23-Jan-19
Armed drones.....

23-Jan-19
We have gun tags and trapping tag both can be used for trapping and only hunting tags if you shoot one. 5 trapping and 5 hunting tags no quota it was removed in 2017 I think

23-Jan-19
I'm not sure, but I think there are still unit quotas. WY lost their season via liberal judge by not having quotas in areas of the states farthest from Yellowstone, which ARA groups equated to wholesale slaughter instead of management and won. The decision was for WY only and spared ID's and MT's seasons. At least, that's how I understood it.

23-Jan-19
Just googled it Idaho did get rid of quotas in 2017

24-Jan-19
I hadn't read that. Hopefully the season stands up to San Francisco judges.

24-Jan-19
Just saw on the news Colorado could have wolf reintroduction on the ballot soon

24-Jan-19
Not the same type of wolves. It will be “introduction” of a nonnative species.

There are already a few that have filtered in from north.

Based on the majority politics, the the advertising that will pour in, lack of any response from CPW against it, and the concept that Wildlife Watching is more important than hunting; wolves will be introduced in Colorado.

24-Jan-19
I hope for Colorado’s sake they get shot down it has decimated our moose mule deer and elk to the point of it’s not worth hunting mule deer, moose are few and far between they already took one areas tags away and elk are pretty damn thin might get on 5 or 6 bulls a year now. Maybe I’m spoiled from ten years ago it used to be so good I would have turned down Alaskan hunts because you didn’t want to miss elk hunting

24-Jan-19
Great idea

24-Jan-19
Love this idea, if it gets even a handful more wolves killed then it is worth it! Saw wolf tracks pretty much everyday when I hunted Idaho last fall. Pretty tough to manage them as Ike said way back in those wilderness areas in the winter time.

24-Jan-19
Back to needing a bounty to help manage them. Hope it helps.

You know, that's how it used to be 50 years ago. Full circle. People are funny.

24-Jan-19
The only way to truly endanger the population is with poison. I am glad we no longer do that but hunting them alone will never kill them off. You can trap and hunt as hard as you want and there will still be wolves....which is a good thing. Most hunters would agree that having them at an acceptable level is doable. Having them crawling all over the landscape is terrible and detrimental to the ecosystem. It's obvious there are way too many wolves in ID and I hope they knock them back.

Does anyone do aerial gunning for wolves in the lower 48? I know it is one of the practices they use in Alaska that seems to be very successful.

24-Jan-19
No aerial gunning for wolves, but coyotes and hogs in Texas. Would imagine the Wolfies would go berserk if guys started shooting them from helicopters!

The wolves are not as much of a problem as the politics that come with them...

24-Jan-19
I am stunned by the statement that the #1 killer of wolves is other wolves.....

24-Jan-19
Maybe the Colorado legislative people will reach out to officials in Idaho to learn how well its worked there

24-Jan-19
Wyoming, Montana and Idaho got the wolves shoved down their throats by an activist US Department of the Interior and Federal Court System.

The people of those states didn’t want them at all.

Colorado is now very deep blue with a rapidly growing urban population that has moved in from other blue states. If wolves go on the ballot, Colorado will welcome them with open arms singing Kum-by- ya and ensure that they are protected by laws against their harm that will be more stringent than if you were to kill a baby. If hunting is perceived to be impacting the wolves food, hunting will be curtailed. It will be far worse in Colorado than the other states.

24-Jan-19
"you can't be any geek off the street. gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep."

24-Jan-19
Medicinemann: the #1 killer of wolves is always wolves. It's always been that way. But, it's important for us to keep bringing it up so that the public understands that they are violent killers that don't always kill to eat.

24-Jan-19
Mount up regulators!

24-Jan-19
Treeline has it nailed. If wolf reintroduction gets on the ballot, CO ungulate hunting will never be the same. Figure out where to cash in them points now baby, because the big bad wolf cannot tell the difference between an LE unit and OTC!

24-Jan-19
"#1 killer of wolves is other wolves" same with bears if I recall.

In the 70's when I was a kid the cattleman's assoc in CA had a $50 bounty on coyotes, which back then was decent money. Called and shot a few. Baited some more with dead livestock. Trapped a couple with steel traps but it's not easy. If I'd have known what I was doing like the guys here who have the snares down to an art.... might have done better. Wolves would be much harder yet I'd guess if for no other reason than lower density. Flew as the shooter in a cub once that had bait sites set up on a route. (His regular guy had the flu) 870 with buckshot. Got a few for him too. ("don't look at where the plane is going, you're not flying it. look at the coyotes and DON"T SHOOT THE PLANE!" Actually had a little frame that the shotgun went through to make it harder to screw up.) That was about the wildest of rides I've ever taken.... it's darn hard NOT to look at the mountain, trees and rocks coming at you......wintertime and it was freezing cold too....

Anyway.... point was the anti bounty folks claimed it made no real difference..... but the facts are we were told by the cattlemen it was very effective. Calving rates went up a great deal and the sheep guys were super happy. Leftists with agendas have no issues about lying for their moral high ground.....

It will help with every one of the goals they laid out...... if they can stay on it. Or are allowed to stay on it.

WRT WY.... I think they've stood their ground and taken the lead...... outside management areas they are treated as coyotes.... no season, no tags, no quotas.... shot on sight. This with ID is the next best thing though.

CO..... good luck.... prayers are with you.... =D

24-Jan-19
Yep in Colo if it gets on the ballot its all over but the crying....

24-Jan-19
Isn't it a federal thing because of the endangered species act? Meaning wouldn't the US Fish & Wildlife need to sign off on it? And at the state level the CPW has held the position against wolf reintroduction in Colorado. I may be wrong but it might beyond a state decision.

24-Jan-19
Do not underestimate the power of a liberal state government.

25-Jan-19
Reducing wolf numbers would certainly help. Studies show that mountain lions kill twice as much game in wolf infested areas because the wolves find their kills and eat them. This forces the mountain lion to kill more to stay alive.

25-Jan-19
We had them pretty well reduced not that long ago. Zero is not a bad number for wolves...

25-Jan-19
Live traps with a mangy coyote as bait ???

28-Jan-19
I'm sorry to say Colorado is doomed sooner or later the gray wolf will get there and when he does he will change the landscape

28-Jan-19
I'm sorry to say Colorado is doomed sooner or later the gray wolf will get there and when he does he will change the landscape

• Sitka Gear