Treeline 27-Jan-19
fisherick 27-Jan-19
Bowboy 27-Jan-19
Aces11 27-Jan-19
wyobullshooter 27-Jan-19
kota-man 27-Jan-19
SixLomaz 27-Jan-19
27-Jan-19
I have a couple elk trips planned for next year, and this will be my first elk hunts. I have an Eberlestock Drafonfly pack that I have used for hiking around for mule deer. I am thinking I maybe able to use that to just hike in for the day. Plan is to park at trail heads and hike in each day, but may also plan a spike camp for a day or two if need be. Any suggestions on pack and pack size that would be good for this situation?

27-Jan-19
That one will be fine. Might want a bigger pack with a little better support for packing meat though.

27-Jan-19
There are many great packs out there that will work for that situation. Pick the one that fits you and you can afford. I have a Badlands 2800 that fits my body style and I have used for several years. I have done many 1-3 night hunts and day hunts with this pack and hauled out meat. Use caution as the bigger the pack the more stuff you'll NEED to bring.

27-Jan-19
Like stated there a lot good packs on the market. I prefer a Stone Glacier Sky 5900. Great fitting pack and a a built in meat self for hauling out meat. Best pack I've ever owned.

27-Jan-19
Thanks for all the pointers. I am thinking I could use my Eberlestock for hunting and then pick up a good frame for hauling out. Anyone use that approach?

27-Jan-19
Yep. I use a Tenzing 2250 for my daypack, and a Stone Glacier X-frame for hauling meat.

27-Jan-19
The Stone Glaciers get so small in daypack mode, I have no reason to use two packs anymore. The 5900 with the XFrame is smaller and lighter than almost any 2500 ci production pack you will find. I don’t even own a “daypack” anymore. I’ve never been a fan of the “frame in the truck” method.

27-Jan-19

SixLomaz's Link
Go for ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag. On Amazon $110 + tax. It will do your bidding when camping out for few days. You do not need much for a day hunt. Go light. Use your pockets for 2 good knives, windicator, GPS / cellphone, food. Have a 2 - 3 L water pouch hanging on your back and a waist pack for game bags and some thin rope. Leave the frame in the truck or at camp site. If you kill an elk butcher on the spot, hang the game bags and head, then walk out carrying the smaller bag you have, usually backstraps, tenderloins plus some neck meat. On the second trip get your pack bag + frame and go back for the rest of the haul. On the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag you can have both, pack and hauling system, strapped to the frame despite the instructions to use them separated.

• Sitka Gear