Ermine 29-Jan-19
midwest 29-Jan-19
12yards 29-Jan-19
Swampbuck 29-Jan-19
TD 29-Jan-19
Buffalo1 29-Jan-19
ElkNut1 29-Jan-19
28-Jan-19
These little washers are a PITA. They only weigh 2 grains.

Are they even necessary on BHs that already have locking razors? i.e. SlickTricks Mechanicals

28-Jan-19
O-rings?

Loc-tite, maybe??

Seems like the answer might be a one-piece head, but that’s probably too controversial a suggestion.

;)

28-Jan-19
I shoot COT 3-blades and file or grind to resharpen and after time loose weight so use the 5 grain brass ones for weight to match arrows...

28-Jan-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I know that then using the NAP Shockwave mech, that washers prevents the deployed blades from cutting into the insert. I looked at my Rapton Tricks Mech, and the washer serves the same purpose.

28-Jan-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Not O rings. Washers.

Here they are on my Iron Will and SlickTrick mechanical.

28-Jan-19
You might ask the manufacturers who designed the heads and included the washers. Given they are included, I bet they have a purpose.

28-Jan-19
I can see how the washer will help the mech blades from damaging the insert.

But... why have one on the IW?

28-Jan-19
I could be completely wrong but my guess is that the original slick trick designer, Gary C., had them as part of the brodhead only for keeping the blades in position while the brodhead was being screwed into the arrow. Without the ring, we would have to hold all the blades in place until the back tabs entered the arrow. Just a wild xxx guess thouhh.

28-Jan-19
Iron Will doesn't have a washer cnelk. There would be no purpose for one.

28-Jan-19
Thats what I thought Bill - Thanks

The washer must have stayed on my insert from a previous BH

Another reason to use IWs - no messing with those damn washers!

29-Jan-19
The washer is for replaceable blades heads. Those blades vary in length and the washer is an attempt to create a parallel face to mate to the shaft insert.

29-Jan-19
I make broadheads and mine have a small straightened spring washer pressed on the ferrule. My reason for them is to protect the insert/outsert from any damage if a blade moves back slightly on impact. My ferrules are alloy, i also do a steel version too, it gives an even mating surface between the broadhead and insert/outsert. Mine don't fall of though, as i have to press each one on and they stay, as well as straighten each washer by hand, fun job that one.

29-Jan-19
And for Slick Trick replaceable blade heads, washers are side specific. Convex side towards the blades. Flat side toward the insert.

29-Jan-19
The purpose of the washer is to prevent or help prevent the blades going back into the insert or into the arrow after impact.

29-Jan-19
I've been able to take the wobble out of some BH's by rotating the washer a little and retightening.

29-Jan-19
I've had over the top mechanicals damage my inserts if I don't have a good washer on there. These were Steelheads.

29-Jan-19
Old Vortex had a washer, and still messed up the inserts. That design was changed fairly quick way back when

29-Jan-19
I really like a #10 fender washer behind a field point.....

29-Jan-19
If they weren’t needed or didn’t have purpose, they would not be included in the packaging.

Washers cost money. Companies typically don’t like to waste money- has a bearing on bottom line and profits.

29-Jan-19
Just checked my Iron Wills, none have washers!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear