GAIA- somebody else's waypoints on mine?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Jaquomo 08-Feb-19
Ambush 08-Feb-19
Bowfreak 08-Feb-19
Jaquomo 08-Feb-19
Inshart 08-Feb-19
Ambush 08-Feb-19
Deertick 08-Feb-19
Jaquomo 08-Feb-19
Vonfoust 08-Feb-19
08-Feb-19
So I logged into GAIA last night to do some remote scouting and not only are my waypoints on there, but also someone else's! Looks like a summer elk scouter spent a week around the area. None of them are secrets to me, but one waypoint is on a closed road I hike in to hunt sometimes. A couple more are in a place I planned to scout this summer. Very weird.

I don't mind, but sure hope somebody doesn't also have MY waypoints! If anyone lost some, identify the areas and I'll give them back... ;-)

I sent an email to GAIA, haven't heard back.

08-Feb-19
Probably someone using the “Community” sharing feature. Make sure no one in your hunting group uses that feature. Sounds great for group communication, but it’s public

08-Feb-19
I like GAIA, but it frustrates me while navigating. The cursor just rotates and bounces wherever and never points towards the direction you are traveling. I have emailed them a few times about it and either they don't care or I am not explaining it well enough to them to grasp my problem.

08-Feb-19
Thanks, Ambush. I only hunt and scout solo and am not on any groups. What's odd is that the waypoints are scattered across my primary hunting area, which is a large area about 10x25 miles. Will be interesting to hear what GAIA has to say.

08-Feb-19
Send me the way points and I'll double check to see if they were mine. :) :)

08-Feb-19
Lou, just check to make sure that you haven't accidentally opted in to the Community Share feature. I'm sure most hikers do and some hunting groups do, so they can see where their buddies are. We vetoed it's use on one of our remote camps this past season. It sounded great until you realize it can and will be shown on the Community Page. Maybe your plan shows these way points because you've been there before? Kind of a "proximity" points of interest thing?

Same for Inreach.

08-Feb-19
Sounds like someone hit "Public" ... but it's odd that it's just one person.

08-Feb-19
Just checked and everything is toggled as "private".

08-Feb-19
Those must be mine Lou. Just screenshot it and send it to me.

• Sitka Gear